Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i liked using tifa and red xiii a lot but i like cycling everyone around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

Don't be ridiculous

Yuffie uses TikTok

Yuffie is too busy travelling around the world taking pictures in every endangered forest for that.

Macaluso posted:

Naw Aeris uses TikTok

This guy knows whats goin

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yuffie tags all her pics with #rawring20s

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/xenosaga7/status/1229534542349750272?s=20

...How? Uncompressed cutscenes?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Part 1 contains the assets for the entire game

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
100GB for that really isn't surprising.

I wish I had the blood sugar right now to explain why, but the keywords are megascan textures and Mip-Mapped .DDS files.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
With my Canadian internet I believe that would take me about 3 days to download.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
might be a dumb question because I dont own a PS4, but why does a game on Blu Ray require HDD space?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

might be a dumb question because I dont own a PS4, but why does a game on Blu Ray require HDD space?

most if not all game discs these days function more as keys to let the rest of it download online, the full game is never on the disc itself

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oxxidation posted:

most if not all game discs these days function more as keys to let the rest of it download online, the full game is never on the disc itself

I don’t think this is correct, it downloads from the disk.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah it’ll most likely be like rdr2’s two disc format, where one is purely data and one is the main play disc+ data

TommyGun85 posted:

games install to the HDD for load times and discs act as DRM nowadays

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 18, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Division 2 is like 100gb and really doesn't seem like it should be.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

as a reminder the PC version of FFXIII, a game released in 2009, was 60+ GB of which at least 45 GB consisted purely of uncompressed video files

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

Uncompressed cutscenes?

precision posted:

Part 1 contains the assets for the entire game

cock hero flux posted:

as a reminder the PC version of FFXIII, a game released in 2009, was 60+ GB of which at least 45 GB consisted purely of uncompressed video files

SQUEENIX.TXT

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

cock hero flux posted:

As someone who works in video production, that is absolutely mind boggling. XIII had what, maybe 45 minutes tops of pre-rendered FMVs? I could render that out to 1080p with no noticeable drop in quality, and it would probably hover around 6-7 GB. How in the flying gently caress did they end up with 60GB of video? Do they not have compression algorithms?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

HD DAD posted:

As someone who works in video production, that is absolutely mind boggling. XIII had what, maybe 45 minutes tops of pre-rendered FMVs? I could render that out to 1080p with no noticeable drop in quality, and it would probably hover around 6-7 GB. How in the flying gently caress did they end up with 60GB of video? Do they not have compression algorithms?

If they didn't compress it at all, 45 minutes of 1080p60 would come to 16.8GB.

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

Qwertycoatl posted:

If they didn't compress it at all, 45 minutes of 1080p60 would come to 16.8GB.

Assuming 24bpp:

(1920 * 1080 * 3) bytes/frame * 60 frames/sec * 60 sec / min * 45 min > 1TB (decimal)

It was probably H.264 or some variant.

As other posters have suggested, some resources are unpacked from the disc to improve runtime efficiency, like decompressing audio to make mixing easier.

invlwhen fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 18, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Oh duh I missed a 60. I thought it looked a bit low.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The cutscenes would be 4k wouldn't they?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That's impressive haha :negative:

TommyGun85 posted:

Oxxidation posted:

Yea this isn't true at all. The full games are on the disk, but they need to install to the HDD. This is necessary since blu ray disks have huge capacities, the drive read speed is quite slow.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's impressive haha :negative:

Yea this isn't true at all. The full games are on the disk, but they need to install to the HDD. This is necessary since blu ray disks have huge capacities, the drive read speed is quite slow.

Also because blu ray disks have huge capacities, game devs have just put full uncompressed video/audio onto there because hey who cares about hard drive space

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What I did learn the hard way though is that if your disc is slightly damaged, the game can simply crash while playing if it fails to read the disc at any point.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I just want the demo :(

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just want the demo :(

Latest rumor is that we'll get it on March 3.

Who knows, though

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

intro movie looks great, I really like all the extra stuff they're adding to Midgar to flesh it out and I really hope they come good and make it worth exploring.

also, the best carbuncle was ff8 carbuncle

FF11 Carbuncle. :colbert:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Are you ready to load up on rat asses? :black101:

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1230160362240167936

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cloud: "oh, right, mercenary jobs. i was one of those, wasn't i"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

theeeere's the padding

alright, game's 120 hours long and 100 of them are these

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
If chapter 1 is supposed to be a full game in its own right, how is that going to translate into later parts of the game? Do you just start back at 1, or will your save translate over? Not quite sure how the balance is supposed to work.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The sequels will probably just be stand-alone games that pick up the plot where it left off. There's no reason to do anything fancy with save importing, especially if they feel like messing with the combat system at all between games.

Like, you can start the game at level 30 so you "feel" like more of a veteran, but levels mean nothing and never have.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
you just lose all your materia between games? sounds freakin terribad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yuffie steals it at the beginning of the 2nd game.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Game’s gonna be good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No Wave posted:

you just lose all your materia between games? sounds freakin terribad.

Happens in the Trails games every time, it's fine

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well that explains it. Hunts/MMO quests.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
tired: transferring materia between save files
wired: transferring al bhed primers between files

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Elentor posted:

Well that explains it. Hunts/MMO quests.

They’re also greatly expanding the existing scenarios and story beats, as well as adding new ones. It’s not a 1:1 remake but with fetch quest padding.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i want saves to transfer forward!!!!!!!!!!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You transfer items between games and the only way to unlock Knights of the Round is to use a leftover Battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

once again, Samus Aran has managed to stub her toe and all of her assorted powerups have deactivated and fallen off