Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The only bullshit thing I've seen enemies do is when they spin around while winding up an attack. Other than that, everything has seemed fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

My peace and justice saber from Disneyland and I are very happy together.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dogen posted:

:drat: that's awesome

Somebody fund my dream of owning my Miami Vice saber IRL plz

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been replaying Rise of the Tomb Raider lately. While the combat's obviously focused differently, of everything I've played it seems like the closest analog they were going for in terms of narrative presentation, world traversal/secret hunting, and just general "feel" (hell, the lightstick Lara grabs when going into caves looks more or less identical to Cal using his lightsaber in the dark). Playing soon after Fallen Order though, it has a really noticeable extra level of polish in things like how natural the movement feels (both running around and special stuff like climbing and grabbing onto ledges) and in making the cutscenes and setpieces feel more cinematic. I gave FO a lot of leeway since it was their first time around in that style, but they could stand to reexamine this game in fine detail as they're working on the presumable sequel.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 1, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rise of the Tomb Raider also got a huge push because they wanted it to be one of the next big things after the minor success of the 2013 game. Tomb Raider didn’t get there despite the money but Star Wars is Star Wars so moneymen figured it didn’t need anything extra.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I still ain't finished the first TR Reboot but I actually want to go back and do that. This poo poo just left me with a sour taste in my mouth like every other star wars game that came after Jedi Outcast

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

codo27 posted:

I still ain't finished the first TR Reboot but I actually want to go back and do that. This poo poo just left me with a sour taste in my mouth like every other star wars game that came after Jedi Outcast

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is sweet. They're all good but it's just a really impressive final mix of all the combat, exploration and puzzle mechanics the team have been refining.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It took me two tries to get into the reboot, but then it clicked and I played truth the trilogy. The later two really are good with great gameplay.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

JBP posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is sweet. They're all good but it's just a really impressive final mix of all the combat, exploration and puzzle mechanics the team have been refining.

Shadow is good but I felt the big central hub village thing really slows things down :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Shadow is good but I felt the big central hub village thing really slows things down :(

Yeah I'm playing through it now and literally spent a session just doing the first entry to the hub village because it's so slow.

My current view is that while they're all enjoyable games, the first one is the best. The setting is the most interesting, the plot is solid and develops well, and there's a range of decent characters. The sequels get steadily a bit more messy in all of those departments, and I think the bits where they try to fiddle with the mechanics really have the end result of taking something that was quite neat and streamlined in the first game and adding mess in order to make it look like there's 'something new'.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly I started with Rise rather than the reboot this time, just because I remember thinking it felt like a solid step up the first time around. The story's nothing special but the gameplay just worked better for me. The weird grimness to a lot of the deaths in the first one is also something I didn't really feel like seeing again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah this is true, there is a bit of running back and forth across it.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I've started playing Control after beating this and i already feel like more of a Jedi wrt force power than i did in Fallen Order

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

I've started playing Control after beating this and i already feel like more of a Jedi wrt force power than i did in Fallen Order

That I can agree with. I like Fallen Order but I really like Control.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, it's the clear winner. Absolute GOTY for me, and good enough that I went back and played all the Remedy games that I'd missed.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

JBP posted:

Yeah this is true, there is a bit of running back and forth across it.

But at least there's alpacas to pet :buddy:

Also yeah Control is loving excellent

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dogen posted:

I only just got curious about Galaxy's Edge and looked up some videos on the sabers. Is it known if the game took the workshop designs or the other way around?

Some of the legacy designs are very appealing though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BizarroAzrael posted:

I only just got curious about Galaxy's Edge and looked up some videos on the sabers. Is it known if the game took the workshop designs or the other way around?

Some of the legacy designs are very appealing though.

I think the game just modeled some (most?) of the parts you can build with at Savvi’s. The part selection hasn’t changed since they opened.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Has anyone figured out a fix for the non-spawning albino spider yet or am I doomed to a replay on the easiest difficulty for my Plat?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

Has anyone figured out a fix for the non-spawning albino spider yet or am I doomed to a replay on the easiest difficulty for my Plat?

Holy poo poo, just hit me on a second run through. Thankfully I got the achievement on my first run, but wow this is annoying.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo, just hit me on a second run through. Thankfully I got the achievement on my first run, but wow this is annoying.

I did end up doing that second playthrough. Big fan of how it takes most of the plot to unlock the last of those beasts.

As far as I can tell, this thing is caused by a really boneheaded situation involving a fix for a completely different glitch involving this encounter in which you wouldn't get the tactical guide entry after killing him, locking you out of a different trophy. They "fixed" this by making the tactical guide entry appear for every player who has encountered him. Unfortunately, it seems that in doing that they also changed the logic that affects whether or not he appears, meaning he will only ever appear once per save file, and if you run away or die he's gone. Whoops!

Allegedly, you can get around the problem without a second playthrough if you have the disc version; by deleting your patch data and reverting to v1.0.0 (reportedly, this does not create save file compatability problems), you can trigger the fight using the original, working, logic.

Also allegedly (as of this week), Respawn are working on a fix. There is no ETA. I am certain EA are somehow to blame.

At some point I need to write up my thoughts about this game because lord does it inspire opinions.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Played a few hours a while back, but finally wanna dive into this game proper and finish it

Anything I need to know? Settings, nuances, etc? I remember being really really bad at the combat. Never played any form of souls-lite really, so tips there are cool

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Played a few hours a while back, but finally wanna dive into this game proper and finish it

Anything I need to know? Settings, nuances, etc? I remember being really really bad at the combat. Never played any form of souls-lite really, so tips there are cool

Parry humanoid enemies and just attack > dodge animal enemies.

The parry window is really generous compared to other games, just wait for the windup and by ready with L1. There's not too much enemy variety unfortunately so you'll get familiar with their move sets really quickly.

The pull people/objects force ability is OP against stormtroopers and make them trivial. No need to even parry anymore.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Do not go to dathomir until the story forces you, it should not be unlocked as early as it is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Customizing controls is an awesome option, definitely play around with that if the default ones seem iffy. I went back and did way better after changing block/strike to the big shoulder buttons and push/pull to the small ones, and also moving dodge to X (PS4). Everything felt way more natural to reach in a hurry, especially blocking and dodging.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

This game goes to great lengths to make you think it's like Dark Souls and it's half true. The combat has a lot of issues that keep it from really comparing like that (not that Souls itself is perfect but even on top of that). As a decent-ish veteran of various melee action games I found the default difficulty too easy and the next difficulty up a little too hard (though not so hard I didn't end up using it for the whole game because I enjoy aggressive enemies).

(I love that the difficulty menu tells you quantatively how each setting affects incoming damage, enemy health and enemy aggression, and I wish I could have a custom difficulty so I could set aggression to the max, health to the middle and damage to mid-mid-low)

Don't worry too much about not being able to deal with parry/dodge timings. They are all weird and inconsistent.

Use the Force. Your Force saber strikes are great for quickly overwhelming enemies you'd otherwise have to spend time guard-breaking. Slow isn't that good since it breaks after one hit but if that hit makes them flinch or breaks them out of a red attack it will have been worth the meter. Eventually you'll get Push and Pull. The right Push at the right time will send the enemy right over the nearest ledge, and Pull, when upgraded, can set many enemies up for one hit kills.

...But watch your meter. Never be out of Force.

Similarly, use your weird combos once you unlock them. Anything that isn't the simple light attack combo has perks. Gotta love delay attacks.

If you care about trophies, consider looking up where the Albino Wyyyshokk lives on Kashyyyk and briefly flipping the difficulty to easiest when you go to fight it.

Soonmot posted:

Do not go to dathomir until the story forces you, it should not be unlocked as early as it is.

Don't believe these lies. You can take Dathomir.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

Don't believe these lies. You can take Dathomir.

It's not about difficulty, it's that's you have two small areas to explore before lack of powers prevent you from going forward and the double saber just being sprung on you while breaking your five second story cutscene when you upgrade it properly.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fedule posted:

This game goes to great lengths to make you think it's like Dark Souls and it's half true. The combat has a lot of issues that keep it from really comparing like that (not that Souls itself is perfect but even on top of that).

Let the foolish comparisons to Souls end with this post please. FO has no more in common with that series than I do with billie eillish.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ya sorry for perpetuating that. I’m just used to mindless ARPG button mashers, so anything else comes as difficult.

Lotta info to unpack, excited to dive in and finish this. Really appreciate the pro-tips!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

never compare any game to any other game on the internet

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The notion I keep coming back to is that Fallen Order wears the macro-level game mechanics of Dark Souls as an aesthetic, primarily because executives like it when their things are Like Other Popular Things and secondarily so it can intimate to you that its micro-level mechanics are also like those of Dark Souls, which is less true but easier to convince large swathes of a mass-market fanbase of than the idea that your completely original video game is good on completely original merits.

This is not, I think, deniable. Fallen Order is so unlike Souls but it makes a point of repeatedly drawing your attention to the fact that it is precisely copying the most well-known of Souls' tricks, while also making a point of toning others down, which invites comparisons with Souls the marketers conider favourable. We've got bonfires, estus and stamina all present and as far as I can recall unaltered from how those things work in Souls. We've got the corpse run implemented, but you get a free heal for doing it and you only ever lose partial levels. You've got a basic approach to combat where most enemies, however basic, are threatening because they require particular responses you have to learn and will kill you in a few hits if you mess up, except on the default and easy difficulties this is turned down low enough for you to be able to facetank most fights. You've got a notional combat flow that rewards knowing your enemy and noticing the right opportunities for big offensives, but the balance is tilted in your favour most of the time.

What I'm less certain of is whether their goal in all this is to be more attractive to fans of Dark Souls (who will certainly recognise the nods but are more likely to be critical of the artifice of the whole affair) or to people who have only ever heard of Dark Souls and perhaps don't have much inclination to play it but are excited about the idea of it, or something else entirely. Whatever it is, the game knows exactly what it's doing with all this.

...Also, bonfires/estus is just straight up a good way of handling enemy respawning and item economy. It's completely straightforward, transparent, sometimes tactical, and always a player choice. It is easily my favourite of the granular ideas that Dark Souls introduced to the gaming lexicon. It is the Dark Souls Idea that I wish more games would just copy (almost) verbatim, alongside Souls' approach to level design.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 18, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, it's more like they saw some cool ideas in the Souls games that are just good design, so they adopted them. That's kinda it.

It's still very much an SW game.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Fallen Order's combat designer shared some tips about defense mechanics, from a while ago:

Jason de Heras posted:

1. Parry window is instant. You will parry the incoming attack if the parry window is active regardless of where Cal’s lightsaber is positioned.
2. Better to parry early and continue to hold block - worst case, you block.
3. Hold block to safely observe enemy attack patterns except RED attacks which must be evaded. You are safe from any direction when blocking.
4. You can cancel into evade at any time when holding block.
5. Don't panic when block broken - you can evade out fairly fast.
6. If you block an attack, it’s still possible to parry another incoming attack - it requires tighter timing and depends how slow the enemy’s follow up attack is however.
7. When you reflect a bolt, make sure you continue to hold block afterwards because Stormtroopers sometimes shoot 2 in a row in quick succession.
8. Use double tap evade to safely eject from most incoming attacks.
9. The later you side step an enemy’s attack the more you can take advantage of invulnerable frames
10. Parry window is HUGE on Story Mode +1s - so parry early and you will probably parry the enemy.
11. Not all enemies will stagger when parried so watch out how they counter attack.
12. Grandmaster parry window is 0.13s (30fps)
13. Successful parries do not drain your block meter.
14. Parrying slightly replenishes your force meter.
15. You are invulnerable for a few moments during a successful parry.
16. Don’t be scared to parry creatures! If they don’t highlight red, you can parry any attack.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wonder how much the parry vs parry animation differences throw folks off, I see he even points it out and I know sometimes it threw me off a bit too - making my timing off because it looked like Cal was already in another saber animation.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The problem for me was that “flashing red” might mean you’re being attacked now, or there’s an right second windup animation starting.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

haha playing again I just noticed the holocron you see in the scene right after you visit Bogano is the same kind they sell at Disney and it plays the default Ewan Obi-Wan message warning that the Disney one plays without a crystal in it, so yeah definitely some synergistic marketing there

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Fedule posted:

...Also, bonfires/estus is just straight up a good way of handling enemy respawning and item economy. It's completely straightforward, transparent, sometimes tactical, and always a player choice. It is easily my favourite of the granular ideas that Dark Souls introduced to the gaming lexicon. It is the Dark Souls Idea that I wish more games would just copy (almost) verbatim, alongside Souls' approach to level design.

I wish the non-DS From games in the same vein would have copied it verbatim instead of trying to make changes that make the system worse.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any word on a new game plus mode?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any word on a new game plus mode?

They said it's impossible to implement NG+ given it would impinge on the incredibly well crafted world gating and beautifully realised AAA narrative experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Being able to refight the bosses (sans bat) would be great - I hate having to carefully juggle save files