Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I think Katya's shedding her winter-coat, which is majestic and now very messy. She seems to groom herself a lot more and we often see her struggling with tufts of hair stuck to her mouth/lip, which she'll let us pull off. I've been brushing her a lot to help it a long and even got out the furminator this morning, anything else I should be doing or watching out for?
She's miraculously never coughed up a hairball, but that has me wondering where all the hair goes?

e: page snipe cat tax of her balefully looking at my breakfast

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

EDIT: hit post before writing... derp.

I switched to a pine litter last month. Creampuff has had some really bad smelling poop before, but it was only occasional. I noticed with the pine litter (since it doesnt clump like clay) that sometimes she has really soft poop thats a shade or two lighter than the tootsie roll standard. Not diarrhea just soft wet logs but what concerned me was there was a bit of blood, just a thin streak, on it. Last night she did this for the second time in the span of a month that I know of that this has happened.

The vet is closed Sundays so first thing Monday morning I'm going to schedule an appointment. I'm going to see if I cant get in immediately and if I cant then maybe get a stool sample kit (the plastic tube) I can quickly return to at least get the ball rolling on tests.

Shes been perfectly fine otherwise, very active with a normal appetite and as cuddly as always. Ginny eats all the same foods and shes never had this happen to her. Dry blue buffalo food, only a half a can of wet food for dinner, and some of those temptations treats and cat greenies for dessert.

Obviously I'm working myself up since I'd like to know immediately whats wrong but have to wait for my vet.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 16, 2020

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I AM going to wear my fluffy cat as a stole at some point!

Every so often, when he walks in front of me while I'm at the computer, I duck my head put it between his front and back legs and then lift him up and try to hold him there like a living stole. Unfortunately, he never stays for more than a second even though he likes being behind my head as he often sits on my computer chair like this:

However, I just got him to stay there for about 5 seconds this time while I petted him, so maybe that is progress!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blackchamber posted:

EDIT: hit post before writing... derp.

I switched to a pine litter last month. Creampuff has had some really bad smelling poop before, but it was only occasional. I noticed with the pine litter (since it doesnt clump like clay) that sometimes she has really soft poop thats a shade or two lighter than the tootsie roll standard. Not diarrhea just soft wet logs but what concerned me was there was a bit of blood, just a thin streak, on it. Last night she did this for the second time in the span of a month that I know of that this has happened.

The vet is closed Sundays so first thing Monday morning I'm going to schedule an appointment. I'm going to see if I cant get in immediately if I can at least get a stool sample kit (the plastic tube) I can quickly return to at least get the ball rolling on tests.

Shes been perfectly fine otherwise, very active with a normal appetite and as cuddly as always. Ginny eats all the same foods and shes never had this happen to her. Dry blue buffalo food, only a half a can of wet food for dinner, and some of those temptations treats and cat greenies for dessert.

Obviously I'm working myself up since I'd like to know immediately whats wrong but have to wait for my vet.

You know you don't really need to get a stool sample kit from the vet in order to collect a stool sample. Just put the stool in a plastic bag ziploc bag or something and then you can transfer it to a kit later.

I don't think you really have anything to worry about as I feel like both of those things aren't really unusual, unless the blood was really dark or black. I'm guessing that like humans, the color of the blood in the stool matters in that bright red blood means it's coming from the end of the line while dark red/black blood means it's coming from beginning or middle of the line.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TMMadman posted:

You know you don't really need to get a stool sample kit from the vet in order to collect a stool sample. Just put the stool in a plastic bag ziploc bag or something and then you can transfer it to a kit later.

I don't think you really have anything to worry about as I feel like both of those things aren't really unusual, unless the blood was really dark or black. I'm guessing that like humans, the color of the blood in the stool matters in that bright red blood means it's coming from the end of the line while dark red/black blood means it's coming from beginning or middle of the line.

Yeah I was thinking of taking a sample, but I wanted to have the test scheduled or whatever so I can make sure the sample is as fresh as possible. It wasnt dark it was normal red. It was a very thin streak which in total was probably only a 2 or 3 drops.

I'm kind of a worry wart especially when it comes to my pets.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah I was thinking of taking a sample, but I wanted to have the test scheduled or whatever so I can make sure the sample is as fresh as possible. It wasnt dark it was normal red. It was a very thin streak which in total was probably only a 2 or 3 drops.

I'm kind of a worry wart especially when it comes to my pets.

Make an appointment, but don't panic. Our cat has an especially delicate rear end in a top hat and sometimes gets a little fresh blood from that. It might be as simple as that!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do cats shed their coats if they stay in a climate-controlled apartment all day? Terry still sheds randomly but I can't tell if it's more dramatic at times.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

effika posted:

especially delicate rear end in a top hat

Very good username

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

effika posted:

Make an appointment, but don't panic. Our cat has an especially delicate rear end in a top hat and sometimes gets a little fresh blood from that. It might be as simple as that!

That would be my guess too. It happens to humans too.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

InvisibleMonkey posted:

She's miraculously never coughed up a hairball, but that has me wondering where all the hair goes?

If she's eating it and it's not coming out of her mouth, there's only one other exit.
She might like grass to help bring up the hairballs.

One of my cats is just very... polite? And he'll do the whole horking coughing routine and then swallow the hairball right back down instead of spitting it out. Which is gross, and I'd rather he spat the hair onto some easy-clean tiles instead of bulking out his litterbox deposits.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I think Katya's shedding her winter-coat, which is majestic and now very messy. She seems to groom herself a lot more and we often see her struggling with tufts of hair stuck to her mouth/lip, which she'll let us pull off. I've been brushing her a lot to help it a long and even got out the furminator this morning, anything else I should be doing or watching out for?

e: page snipe cat tax of her balefully looking at my breakfast

We were wondering if Wednesday had lost a bit of weight then looked around and noticed it was actually shedageddon all of a sudden. I think I came across the teeniest idea of a hairball on the bath mat the other day but otherwise she just heaves now and then then goes back to her usual business. Here's hoping there's not a monster hairball waiting for its debut...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TMMadman posted:

I AM going to wear my fluffy cat as a stole at some point!

Every so often, when he walks in front of me while I'm at the computer, I duck my head put it between his front and back legs and then lift him up and try to hold him there like a living stole. Unfortunately, he never stays for more than a second even though he likes being behind my head as he often sits on my computer chair like this:

However, I just got him to stay there for about 5 seconds this time while I petted him, so maybe that is progress!

One of my cats will ride around on my shoulders, he loves it and purrs the whole time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bollock Monkey posted:

We were wondering if Wednesday had lost a bit of weight then looked around and noticed it was actually shedageddon all of a sudden. I think I came across the teeniest idea of a hairball on the bath mat the other day but otherwise she just heaves now and then then goes back to her usual business. Here's hoping there's not a monster hairball waiting for its debut...

I can usually tell when my Salem is getting ready to barf.

My dog affectionately brought us a fresh hairball the other day. That was lovely.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Strong Convections posted:

If she's eating it and it's not coming out of her mouth, there's only one other exit.
She might like grass to help bring up the hairballs.

One of my cats is just very... polite? And he'll do the whole horking coughing routine and then swallow the hairball right back down instead of spitting it out. Which is gross, and I'd rather he spat the hair onto some easy-clean tiles instead of bulking out his litterbox deposits.

I figured but I can't tell from the litter box. She has grass though, and I've been brushing her pretty much every day so I'm hoping she can pass the rest through without issue.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Yeah, she's a floofball so it's like she's shrinking. I don't see her heave, just shake her head when she has another string of wet hair hanging from her mouth, but she'll let us remove it and continue grooming.

e: she’s also a shoulder-cat!

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 17, 2020

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
welp, woke up to two neat little piles of puked up grass, guess that's doing something?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah cats will eat grass when their stomach is upset to make themselves puke. There's your hairball answer, I guess.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Was able to get Creampuff a same day appointment yesterday, and I brought in a stool sample she generously provided a couple hours earlier. They did a exam there and are sending some away to a lab to check for parasites. The vet said given how infrequently CP does this suggests stress or food issues. While I wait for test results they suggested I try a probiotic, something I tried to get my other cat Ginny to do (for her hairballs) but she wouldn't accept probably due to taste. They recommended a different brand that I was able to get on Amazon so hopefully it'll be two birds with one stone if they both will eat it.

Oh I need to pick up some cat grass too at some point.

Heres Creamy Poofter again trying to get her tail run over.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 18, 2020

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Sorry if this has been covered but I am planning on adopting 2 kittens this summer and have been looking into the litter robot. I'm not worried about the money but if keeping the thing clean is still more than its worth. Any advice on it?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Womyn Capote posted:

Sorry if this has been covered but I am planning on adopting 2 kittens this summer and have been looking into the litter robot. I'm not worried about the money but if keeping the thing clean is still more than its worth. Any advice on it?

I've had one for about a year with one cat, he uses it 3-4 times a day and it's the best cat-related thing I've ever bought. I haven't taken it apart to fully clean it yet, but probably will within the next 6 months, following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am3-zpylNdw

Get the connect so you get reminders when to empty the tray, subscribe to Dr Elsey's 40lb bags from Amazon, and never worry about litter bullshit again.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I went to Dr. Elsey's cat-only veterinary clinic when I was living in Denver. Great people. You can definitely trust his brand of cat litter.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Wife and I got a hamster last Friday because we've both been feeling like there's room for a new pet and we both have bleeding hearts and so much love it's crazy.

Then she meets her friend for lunch on Saturday and mentions said hamster in lieu of cat. Friend announces she has a cat for adoption - long story short, friend's sister is an r/relationships mess and can't handle herself, let alone a cat. This cat is named Fartie and is a huge porker and adorable and I love her from a picture and :arghfist::saddowns: We specifically didn't want to adopt a shelter cat because of the URI risk. But this is not a shelter cat! And we're going to do a trial run to see if she fits in, if and only if friend's sister is willing to surrender and get a vet visit for FIV, etc.

Just...dammit. Sometimes I hate having all this love in my heart. I'm the guy that avoided dumping out our kids' pool for several weeks because tadpoles hatched in it, and when the time came to dump it for a hurricane incoming, I literally cried over potentially killing these several hundred baby frogs.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Womyn Capote posted:

I have a Litter Robot for my three furry jerks and it's great. I haven't scooped litter in two years now. If your kittens are small there are a couple of caveats though:

1. The Litter Robot requires a certain weight to trigger. Your kittens may not hit that weight until they're a year old.
2. It's really tall. I brought the deluxe kit because it has a set of stairs but even those might be too high for them to use.

There's also the fact that if they're super young then you don't want them near any clumping clay based litter (as is recommended with the Litter Robot) because kittens, being assholes, will ingest it and then it's a life threatening emergency when it clumps up inside their tiny delicate stomachs. Also depending on how skittish your kittens are, the sound and motion of the Robot cleaning might be scary to them and would cause, uh, issues with eliminating in the right place. I had a pair of siblings who took to it when I brought it at the one-year mark, but my third who was adopted as an adult had a real hard time adjusting and found wonderful new places to poop in lieu of going to the Litter Robot (he eventually got over it).

If they're a year or older then go for it. Otherwise I'd stick with a kitten-sized litter box to avoid babby related complications. I'd probably also not have it there to start with because adjusting to a new home is hard enough as it is for most cats, a new noisy litter box might be a bit too much.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I love my internet of poo poo

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
My dad's cats had litter... accidents. I replaced the litter boxes with Tupperware containers with high sides that they cannot pee over the sides of and have taken over most of the care of the cats. It is obvious that he means well but is disconnected from their care beyond attention and affection.

However, in the years of me not monitoring the litter box and my dad not paying a lot of attention (the cleaning lady cleaned the box and him having a bad sense of smell and constant congestion) the cat pee has soaked into the floor, and I assume through the floor and into the sub-floor.

Our only hope to get rid of the smell is to replace the floor and sub-floor altogether and monitor the situation more carefully, right?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If it's soaked through that floor section is hosed, plain and simple.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

kw0134 posted:

I have a Litter Robot for my three furry jerks and it's great. I haven't scooped litter in two years now. If your kittens are small there are a couple of caveats though:

Is one litter robot enough for three cats?? I've not gotten one because I assumed I would need to get multiple.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

welp, woke up to two neat little piles of puked up grass, guess that's doing something?

Uhh, she just puked up completely undigested blades of grass for the third day in a row. I'm getting rid of this thing of grass because this has never happened before and it's not like it's helping her puke up hairballs either. There's nothing else in there, just clear liquid and grass, which is making me think she just can't digest it.

We have her yearly check-up at the vet tomorrow so I'll mention it, I guess.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Spikes32 posted:

Is one litter robot enough for three cats?? I've not gotten one because I assumed I would need to get multiple.
The Litter Robot people would say buy more (of course!) but because the box shifts in a few minutes after the cats do their business, there should in theory be a clean litter box 98% of the time. Of course all cats are different, so some cats will not tolerate any shared boxes, or they must have it squeaky clean pristine or whatever, in which case you'll need alternate boxes. But in my experience all three cats co-exist just fine with the one LR. My fatass male will go, his sister still immediately jump in because they've shared bathroom time since they were kittens. The third will watch, wait till the box cycles, then take his dump. No accidents since they got acclimated.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

kw0134 posted:

If it's soaked through that floor section is hosed, plain and simple.

That's what I figured.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

e: wrong thread

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 20, 2020

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Are there any foods along the lines of Orijen, but maybe softer? Their coats got noticeably better when we switched to them to Orijen, but one cat is getting older and is missing a few teeth and I'm kinda trying to help him out here. They do get a can of wet food most days, but they've always free-fed on dry because my work schedule is all over the place.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You could try just putting some of the dry food in a bowl with a bit of water. That should soften up the kibble and make it a little easier for the older cat to eat.

He might not eat it, but you could give it a try with a little to check.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TMMadman posted:

You could try just putting some of the dry food in a bowl with a bit of water. That should soften up the kibble and make it a little easier for the older cat to eat.

He might not eat it, but you could give it a try with a little to check.

Are cats good with egg whites? I used to take care of some labs who had an egg cracked into their kibs to soften them up, but I never asked my vet if that's cool for cats.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeaaaah I would ask your vet about that not us.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Are cats good with egg whites? I used to take care of some labs who had an egg cracked into their kibs to soften them up, but I never asked my vet if that's cool for cats.

Like, raw? I think raw eggs are discouraged because factory farmed eggs can be riskier than what cats would eat in the wild, but our cat gets some boiled egg every time we have them. I did my research and it's fine.

And update, I took the grass away and she stopped puking. I guess whatever this type was didn't agree with her, she got her shots this week and the vet was very pleased with her health and weight and said she was very cute. :3:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

My 8 month old little one seems to have a bit of dandruff. It doesn't seem to bother her and she's not itching all the time or anything like that and maybe it's just more obvious because she's black, but is this anything to worry about? I feed her Wellness Core wet food and a bit of the same dry food. She drinks a normal amount of water too. Brushing helps but it kinda just comes back.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My little buddy hangs out in my trees and the patio which is nice. What isn't nice is how bonkers he gets when it comes to feeding. I tried picking up his bowl to bring it in to wash and he practically leapt at the bowl, knocking it out of my hand and onto his head. Then the bastard acts like I intentionally did it :mad:

I keep trying to get him to calm down, and whenever he grabs at my leg I firmly tell him no but it doesn't register with him at all. Today he punctured my kneecap, fucker. Now to worry about getting cat scratch fever again when I should be relaxing for my friday.

E:

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 22, 2020

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just moved my cat into my new place and overall he's been fine, upset at first but went into exploratory mode then seemed normal. Only issue is, he hasn't used the litter box yet. I've shown it to him, and he's walked into it, but hasn't used it. Is he just still stressed? It is a new box so I'm wondering if he's not used to it. I'm only worried because he's had a urinary blockage in the past and is on the urinary SO food.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Leal posted:

My little buddy hangs out in my trees and the patio which is nice. What isn't nice is how bonkers he gets when it comes to feeding. I tried picking up his bowl to bring it in to wash and he practically leapt at the bowl, knocking it out of my hand and onto his head. Then the bastard acts like I intentionally did it :mad:

I keep trying to get him to calm down, and whenever he grabs at my leg I firmly tell him no but it doesn't register with him at all. Today he punctured my kneecap, fucker. Now to worry about getting cat scratch fever again when I should be relaxing for my friday.

E:

OMG that video! Make a yelp in pain noise and jerk away when he grabs your leg. You want him to know that isn't good play behavior and convince him he is hurting you. Hopefully he isn't trying to hurt you, just hang out like a wild and crazy boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

seiferguy posted:

I just moved my cat into my new place and overall he's been fine, upset at first but went into exploratory mode then seemed normal. Only issue is, he hasn't used the litter box yet. I've shown it to him, and he's walked into it, but hasn't used it. Is he just still stressed? It is a new box so I'm wondering if he's not used to it. I'm only worried because he's had a urinary blockage in the past and is on the urinary SO food.

Update: cat peed, but would not stay asleep the entire night and meowed all night instead. It was a pretty miserable night for all involved!