Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I normally like Meraki for what it is, but this experience makes me want loving Cisco back. As lovely and bug-ridden as IOS is, at least you get more knobs to tweak.

Not that the Cisco knobs necessarily always do what they say they do, at least when I was learning networking. Meraki is no better, to be fair, which is impressive considering how very few knobs they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You should email the rep assigned to that customer and get them to kick somebody - no way should that sit with L1.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Ooh, while on the topic of switch bugs I found a great one:

We bought a cheap offbrand switch to use in the QA lab. It was a 48 port w/ 4 SFPs, which claimed to be able to handle 480Gbps bandwidth.
However, if the traffic was from sequential MAC addresses the bandwidth dropped to ~6Gbps. That was a fun one to debug.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

BadMedic posted:

Ooh, while on the topic of switch bugs I found a great one:

We bought a cheap offbrand switch to use in the QA lab. It was a 48 port w/ 4 SFPs, which claimed to be able to handle 480Gbps bandwidth.
However, if the traffic was from sequential MAC addresses the bandwidth dropped to ~6Gbps. That was a fun one to debug.

How the gently caress does that even happen? How many did there have to be in the sequence?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Without going too much into test implementation, I have a network traffic generator capable of pushing 40Gbps, an can customize the traffic coming from it very heavily. I had 20Gbps split among 24 downlink ports, and obviously traffic on each port needs a different MAC. It's way easier to implement this if the MACs are sequential, so that's how I discovered this.

I had a back and forth with their tech support, and it wasn't until I threatened to return a clearly faulty product for a refund that they admitted what the problem was.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My favorite was when one of the guys at work told me, to my face, in an all-hands, that if an email came tagged with IT or came directly from me, he just trashed it without reading it.

gently caress you, Fred.

I've had multiple people openly admit that in front of our CIO, and in emails and ticket responses.
If it comes from the ITS email account or starts with "IMPORTANT IT ANNOUNCEMENT" there's a rule that just trashes it.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
"I just don't like reading"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've had multiple people openly admit that in front of our CIO, and in emails and ticket responses.
If it comes from the ITS email account or starts with "IMPORTANT IT ANNOUNCEMENT" there's a rule that just trashes it.
"Ok, that's fine. We'll add a rule that any email from you to support@foobar is trashed and we'll just instruct the T1 not to pick up when you call. Also we'll install a remote breaker for your desk so if we need you to log off we'll just remotely power cycle your machine. Oh, we'll send an email from the ITS email account first, of course."

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Collateral Damage posted:

"Ok, that's fine. We'll add a rule that any email from you to support@foobar is trashed and we'll just instruct the T1 not to pick up when you call. Also we'll install a remote breaker for your desk so if we need you to log off we'll just remotely power cycle your machine. Oh, we'll send an email from the ITS email account first, of course."

Nah, set up a job that emails them "Due to security updates, your machine will be manually rebooted at %Time% today, please make sure to save and close your work" then does a remote reboot via psexe. Pick a random time each day.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Got a question for those of you on bigger teams - have you heard of software that can be deployed to a service desk that does some kind of conditional question asking?

Our offshore service desk doesn't do a great job of following instructions when they're all laid out in a single document and so what we're looking for is something that they can use that asks one question at a time, and then based on their answers proceeds through the troubleshooting steps like a choose your own adventure.

I feel like something like this has got to exist, but then again, maybe not?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a plugin for Jira, but that means you're using Jira

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212161/extension-for-jira-service-desk?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

nexxai posted:

Got a question for those of you on bigger teams - have you heard of software that can be deployed to a service desk that does some kind of conditional question asking?

Our offshore service desk doesn't do a great job of following instructions when they're all laid out in a single document and so what we're looking for is something that they can use that asks one question at a time, and then based on their answers proceeds through the troubleshooting steps like a choose your own adventure.

I've never heard of this now I want it so bad.

Our helpdesk (local) doesn't even read their own Wiki most of the time, or fill out the "mandatory" troubleshooting fields that would give us basic information such as user's building or PC name.

It's guaranteed you have to call back the user to get basic info to even start looking at it.

Don't get me started on "phone doesn't work" tickets that have no info on where they are and no alternative contact number to talk to them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nexxai posted:

That sounds like a simplified expert system.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I'm actually building something like that for our provisioning teams based on Ren'Py, a visual novel framework in Python. Ideally, we won't even look at a case until they've run thru the entire troubleshooting tree and attached the log it spits out at the end. Of course, this sort of "non-technical" stuff lacks value to management, so I'll never have time to finish it :v:

I'm so loving sick of wasting my time troubleshooting server issues only to find out someone failed to check something simple, like whether the MAC address was properly whitelisted...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Nah, set up a job that emails them "Due to security updates, your machine will be manually rebooted at %Time% today, please make sure to save and close your work" then does a remote reboot via psexe. Pick a random time each day.

Then do the reboots (randomly) 2-12 minutes early.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah cool another SaaS vendor that thinks SAML is worth increasing the monthly subscription costs from $100 to $300 :argh:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Ah cool another SaaS vendor that thinks SAML is worth increasing the monthly subscription costs from $100 to $300 :argh:

gently caress all of them so hard for this.

I think you of all people may have posted this, but https://sso.tax/ again because everyone who does this needs to die in a fire. We have a hard enough time getting people to let us enable SSO / 2FA without the vendor forcing us to say "oh yeah and it'll be another three figures a month sorry we don't have a choice".

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Even better, I had a SAML cutover for a SaaS app from ADFS to Okta that they wanted $5000 for. It took literally 10 minutes. Ludicrous.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

gently caress all of them so hard for this.

I think you of all people may have posted this, but https://sso.tax/ again because everyone who does this needs to die in a fire. We have a hard enough time getting people to let us enable SSO / 2FA without the vendor forcing us to say "oh yeah and it'll be another three figures a month sorry we don't have a choice".

I like the idea of sso.tax but the guy seems to have lost interest in maintaining it.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm actually building something like that for our provisioning teams based on Ren'Py, a visual novel framework in Python.

IT Tier 1 Dating Simulator

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

nexxai posted:

We have something like this, but it's a custom-built internal tool, angular single-page app with lambdas behind the scenes. We also use it for triaging tickets from non-technical users, as they have to get through this before they can submit a ticket.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

nexxai posted:

I used to write service manuals for Xerox. Each fault code had a Y/N procedure that would branch to tell you what part to replace, or manual adjustment to perform, or calibration routine to run. Unfortunately the delivery methods were either a PDF for small machines, or a proprietary ActiveX plugin for IE. The concept is great, the content was solid (for mainstream products), and the delivery was pretty good experience for the Engineer.

However, if you ask the 2nd and 3rd level engineers though, they still didn't follow the loving procedures. Did you try the RAP? No, oh, it's working now? I guess though the guys who followed the RAP and solved the problem don't call in though.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Someone in the Enterprise thread suggested https://zingtree.com/ which actually looks pretty nice but at $15/agent/month seems a bit expensive.

I'm thinking I might actually build something like this and then sell it as a SaaS app but maybe closer to $5/agent/month, to go along with my "how can I make enterprise tools accessible to smaller companies" ethos that drove the FSRM list.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nexxai posted:

Someone in the Enterprise thread suggested https://zingtree.com/ which actually looks pretty nice but at $15/agent/month seems a bit expensive.

I'm thinking I might actually build something like this and then sell it as a SaaS app but maybe closer to $5/agent/month, to go along with my "how can I make enterprise tools accessible to smaller companies" ethos that drove the FSRM list.

include sso by default too instead of the next tier up which is a 100% markup

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The SaaS app power move is to not even have support for local user accounts. The no-www of cloud software.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

IT Tier 1 Dating Simulator

Tier 1 IT doesn't date. They are subhuman.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Guy Axlerod posted:

I used to write service manuals for Xerox. Each fault code had a Y/N procedure that would branch to tell you what part to replace, or manual adjustment to perform, or calibration routine to run. Unfortunately the delivery methods were either a PDF for small machines, or a proprietary ActiveX plugin for IE. The concept is great, the content was solid (for mainstream products), and the delivery was pretty good experience for the Engineer.

My ASP ran into a fault code that ended up branching to "replace printer". gently caress that, and gently caress Xerox, we fixed that poo poo anyway.On the 8870/80 the gear train could pull its post out of the frame. Rather than replace the printer due to a broken frame, we just put a long screw through the post hole and secured it with a nut.

Also, "proprietary ActiveX plugin for IE" is vastly underselling what a colossal piece of poo poo the GSX app was in total. In addition to the ActiveX control that searched your library of tech notes you had the GSX executable which logged in to Xerox; your password for that expired quarterly. And then there was "the Bus", complete with schoolbus icon, which you used to search for and download documentation. Just a really lovely system in every possible respect.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

include sso by default too instead of the next tier up which is a 100% markup
Of course. I'm not "in the security business" but I take it seriously and if I can make poo poo more secure, I will. It costs me nothing to add it, so I wouldn't charge someone else for it.

I've spent the evening and got the bones built out already (you can add a question and responses, and then depending on the answer, it passes you on to the next appropriate question) but it'll take me a little bit of time to add multi-tenancy/SSO and to work with my UI/UX person to actually design the site and make it look pretty.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I want a module that checks to see if Tier 1 entered any comments and if it doesn't find any it rejects the escalation and complains to their manager that they didn't do any troubleshooting

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

mllaneza posted:

My ASP ran into a fault code that ended up branching to "replace printer". gently caress that, and gently caress Xerox, we fixed that poo poo anyway.On the 8870/80 the gear train could pull its post out of the frame. Rather than replace the printer due to a broken frame, we just put a long screw through the post hole and secured it with a nut.

Also, "proprietary ActiveX plugin for IE" is vastly underselling what a colossal piece of poo poo the GSX app was in total. In addition to the ActiveX control that searched your library of tech notes you had the GSX executable which logged in to Xerox; your password for that expired quarterly. And then there was "the Bus", complete with schoolbus icon, which you used to search for and download documentation. Just a really lovely system in every possible respect.

Yeah, GSN and the bus, aka Bob's update system. I never got to meet Bob. I did get to talk to the who maintained the bus.

We had some awful limits for bus updates, something like 5-10MB every 2 weeks. Their reason was that there were guys in Central America with dial up only, so we couldn't load them down too much.

We had to release a new CD or DVD every year or so on some products, because the updates got to be too many. Two or three bus updates meant too many things to download for a new guy. After the release, some guy at second level would have to go copy paste every BUS note from the old edition to the new one.

Everything there was a manual process, or held together with spaghetti Perl. I tried automating what I could, but after a round of playoffs I was the only one who had a chance of understanding the automation.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

guppy posted:

I want a module that checks to see if Tier 1 entered any comments and if it doesn't find any it rejects the escalation and complains to their manager that they didn't do any troubleshooting

I like the way you think.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Many years ago,I worked helpdesk for HP, as a Convergys employee. For the first couple of months, HP's web-based knowledge base for agents was accessible. Then it got blocked by the firewall because of too much traffic(!), and suddenly the major tool in our arsenal was gone. Complaining to management did nothing. So I went home, did a wget on the entire KB, and hosted it for my team. This went on for ~2years, until we had a visit by HP higher-ups, and I explained what I had done.

I got written up, and miraculously the KB was unblocked the next day!

I quit soon after.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TwystNeko posted:

Many years ago,I worked helpdesk for HP, as a Convergys employee. For the first couple of months, HP's web-based knowledge base for agents was accessible. Then it got blocked by the firewall because of too much traffic(!), and suddenly the major tool in our arsenal was gone. Complaining to management did nothing. So I went home, did a wget on the entire KB, and hosted it for my team. This went on for ~2years, until we had a visit by HP higher-ups, and I explained what I had done.

I quit soon after.

I like the way you think.

I think I already relayed the time I had a horror customer on the night shift who I couldn't help because our AT&T support was only available from 8am-5pm EST. She went on the internal bitch board and complained that support was useless. I replied, "I wanted to help you, but like I said on the phones all 3 times that you called, we don't have the tools to do what you need us to do outside of normal business hours on the east coast US. If management gave us the ability to do our jobs, complaints like this wouldn't happen."

One manager wanted to write me up, but the other pointed out that I was completely correct. I got a cursory, " dude plz don't," and they moved on.

Two weeks later, we had 24/7 AT&T support. :colbert:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

TwystNeko posted:

I quit soon after.
Fucken Convergys.

I was a team lead on the Comcast@Home project and I helped write a web-app that you could do all your notes in, with a bunch of pre-canned answers for all the typical stuff. That way you could switch back to Remedy (who in the gently caress makes every single dropdown click perform a full DB query for the dropdown menu contents???) and just do a single paste and it would tab through all the fields. Everyone in our office used it because Remedy was such awful garbage, and so of course I ended up being written up for not using approved tools and for promoting them to other teammates.

Call completion rates on our team dropped by nearly 30% the next day because we were all being forced to use such a slow system, and the project manager started losing his poo poo because his stats went through the roof.

You made your bed, buddy. Now you gotta sleep in it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's yer problem. They bought Stream Global Services a while back and all the problems that go with that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

nexxai posted:

Fucken Convergys.

I was a team lead on the Comcast@Home project and I helped write a web-app that you could do all your notes in, with a bunch of pre-canned answers for all the typical stuff. That way you could switch back to Remedy (who in the gently caress makes every single dropdown click perform a full DB query for the dropdown menu contents???) and just do a single paste and it would tab through all the fields. Everyone in our office used it because Remedy was such awful garbage, and so of course I ended up being written up for not using approved tools and for promoting them to other teammates.

Call completion rates on our team dropped by nearly 30% the next day because we were all being forced to use such a slow system, and the project manager started losing his poo poo because his stats went through the roof.

You made your bed, buddy. Now you gotta sleep in it.

ughhh remedy, last job our big client used that internally for project/request tracking, so we ended up having to switch to it eventually since we were their windows admins for a portion of their company (and did network/security/windows stuff for other parts to help out because they were all hopeless).

Holy. poo poo. It was awful, even drop downs with only 10-20 options were slow as gently caress and they had some drop downs with 100-150, eventually their CAB manager got things under more control so every drop down was around 50 or less options but even still it was painful to use, took me 30 minutes to put in a change request when the change would maybe take that long. Don't get me started on the post change workflows, probably took just as long.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have a circuit down with AT&T, so I called them for an update.

Their automated system said that they were waiting for information from me and that I need to contact them to get it resolved. Then it hung up on me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MF_James posted:

ughhh remedy, last job our big client used that internally for project/request tracking, so we ended up having to switch to it eventually since we were their windows admins for a portion of their company (and did network/security/windows stuff for other parts to help out because they were all hopeless).

Holy. poo poo. It was awful, even drop downs with only 10-20 options were slow as gently caress and they had some drop downs with 100-150, eventually their CAB manager got things under more control so every drop down was around 50 or less options but even still it was painful to use, took me 30 minutes to put in a change request when the change would maybe take that long. Don't get me started on the post change workflows, probably took just as long.

We have a nightmare of a remedy implementation here. The current problem with it is that the company doesn't want to pay the money it takes for someone to fix it, so we're constantly hiring new remedy developers who get in over their heads, they make a few minor changes or bug fixes, and two weeks later they leave and the cycle repeats.

My favorite quirk is that the dropdowns on the web interface are not scrollable, so you have to click and hold the tiny up/down arrows. Or you can jump to a letter by typing a key, but that only works for the first letter of that search. On all of our tickets, we can associate a piece of equipment to the ticket, except we have hundreds of thousands of entries in that database. So...have fun holding the down arrow for several minutes to wade through the thousand devices that start with the letter F. We just leave that field blank.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Renegret posted:

I have a circuit down with AT&T, so I called them for an update.

Their automated system said that they were waiting for information from me and that I need to contact them to get it resolved. Then it hung up on me.

This is just AT&T working as designed.

Edit: A business we acquired a year ago had "Business In A Box" service from AT&T. It was just a T1 with a all-in-one box that split out analog phone lines and internet. We where having problems making outbound calls one day, so I attempted to call support. The option to speak with "Business In A Box Support" just automatically hung up on you. And if anyone from any other department transferred you to it, it did the same. Absolutely no one I talked to at ATT could help, they could only transfer me to that department, and no one knew how to get a hold of them any other way. After trying the entire day to get through to someone, the problem fixed itself.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Makes me think they have a script that converts a phone number into a contract/device number, and then they just turn the bit on their end on and off again in the order that the printer spits them out :v: