Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You joke, but there have been some HOGs with continuity and they were pretty good for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I've got most of the games in Humble's Digital Tabletop Bundle already but... Terraforming Mars and For the King worth $5 on their own?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

anyone use a vertical mouse like Logitech's MX Vertical for games? Thoughts?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one of my friends got one of those i think, only messed around with it for a couple minutes total and i have no opinion on it besides it looks like you're honking off a stubby robot dick

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
so a full throated endorsement then

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I mean I was gonna say :v:

Google says mostly that people were having to unlearn decades of muscle memory (and seemingly didn't bother to make the effort), or were years-old posts about poor build quality or sensors. Guess I could get one from Best Buy, try it and refund it? :shrug:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 18, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MMF Freeway posted:

so a full throated endorsement then

think you still gotta use your hand on it

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hello I have played Noita and I am here to review it as a person who kills themselves constantly in it

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights
14. Spark the Electric Jester 2
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO
17. Umihara Kawase

18. Noita

There are a lot of factors that go into making a good game, but there’s one that I don’t hear about very often, perhaps because it doesn’t have a good name. It’s the chaos that arises from getting an insane build in Binding of Isaac going, or the chaos that erupts from grabbing a poorly-placed idol in Spelunky. It’s chaos that doesn’t always favor the player but wreaks absolute havoc on the game world, much to the delight of spectators. This chaotic special sauce can improve the fun factor of just about any game, and titles like Noita that build their action around it come out as some of the most fun of all.

Noita might still be too Early Access for a story, but wizards don’t need much of an excuse to ruin poo poo. You start your journey at the mouth of a cave, adorned with some very helpful runes that inform you of the controls. Descending into a network of disused mines, you find all manner of zombies, goblins, and gooier things in your way. The first of your two wands will make short work of foes, while the second will make short work of the environment in spectacular fashion. These tools are only the tip of the magical, exploding iceberg, though, as you find grander wands that scatter fireballs, launch black holes, summon acid clouds, ignite everything on the screen, and more. If you can manage to defeat your foes and not vaporize yourself in the process, you might just find what lies at the bottom of these caverns.

Admittedly, there’s not a lot of direction to Noita at the moment besides going down. Each level is a large, sprawling complex of tunnels, shafts, and chambers that eventually lead to a portal at the very bottom. The portal always leads to a temple where you recover your health and spell charges (if any), buy new wands or spells, and get a perk to make your little murderwizard even more murdery. Once in a level, you’ve really just got to survive, and enemies are only half of the threat to your survival. Every pixel of the environment is modeled and is ready to collapse, drain, burn, or flow at the slightest provocation. You can imagine what happens when you drop a lantern into a pool of oil, or blast out the supports for a tank of acid, but watching the chaos unfold is a whole new level of fun, and surviving it is a whole new level of challenge.

This is the core of the Noita experience, taking ridiculous weapons into ridiculous levels and watching ridiculous things happen. You can absolutely play it safe and cautious, mitigate risks, and focus on reaching the end of the game, and at some point you’re going to want to do that. But honestly the real appeal is finding a wand that fires six nuclear warheads in 0.1 seconds and finding out what happens to the entire level when you push the button. There are wands that shoot lasers, wands that shoot eggs that hatch into flesh-eating monsters, wands that are actually chainsaws, and wands that do all the of the above with each shot. You’ll find wands that do crazy things but they’re really just containers for spells, which you can pull out and affix to other more appropriate wands to make whatever implement of chaos you desire, like burning sawblades that explode into acid clouds.

The catch is that you have to find the odds and ends to do that, and it won’t always happen. I’ve had runs in Noita go absolutely bonkers with wands that could instantly vaporize half the screen, but those are the minority compared to how many runs I’ve played straight with wands that shoot arrows or bouncy balls. Make no mistake, this is a solid roguelike platformer with excellent movement, controls, and combat, but the real magic is left for the RNG to give to you, and it won’t always deliver. And maybe it shouldn’t, considering how potent the biggest, flashiest spells can be, but I can’t deny how many runs I’ve been on where I was left wishing for more bombs or more chainsaws or just that wand I found last time that I killed myself with all too soon.

There’s still plenty of ground for the developers to cover in terms of fleshing out the game world and balancing the tools available, so if you’re more in the market for a full game experience there’s no harm in waiting. But you can’t look at the gifs on the store page and tell me that doesn’t look fun, because I can assure you it is. Some of my new favorite game experiences have come from my worst Noita runs, like hucking 4x dynamite all through the ice caves or shattering an entire shelf of potions and rolling in the magical runoff as it enchanted me with everything at once. The potential for hilarious chaos here is at a record high, and as long as the rest of the game coalesces around it eventually, Noita is sure to be a classic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I tried using a trackball once and I wouldn't ever recommend it for gaming, but for office applications, it was actually pretty drat comfortable and saved a lot of space. Never tried using a wankmouse, but I might just because the idea is funny. Would probably help a lot with wrist strain.

quote:

There’s still plenty of ground for the developers to cover in terms of fleshing out the game world and balancing the tools available, so if you’re more in the market for a full game experience there’s no harm in waiting. But you can’t look at the gifs on the store page and tell me that doesn’t look fun, because I can assure you it is.
Noita is amazing and one of my favourite Early Access games ever, which says something because I usually dislike them so much I wish I could just filter the entire category out of the Steam catalogue. It's great and constantly getting better.

Also, it means witch.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is the most incompetent piece of dung ever published. I paid 2 bucks expecting it to be bad and I was still appalled.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I tried using a trackball once and I wouldn't ever recommend it for gaming, but for office applications, it was actually pretty drat comfortable and saved a lot of space. Never tried using a wankmouse, but I might just because the idea is funny. Would probably help a lot with wrist strain.

That's exactly why I'm looking at said wankmouse: I got a trackball for my wrist's sake, and I like it, but in the vast majority of games it isn't fast or accurate enough even by my low standards. Figure maybe I can have my cake and eat it too with the vertical

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Not sure if I mentioned this in the previous thread but "Heaven's Vault" is an extremely cool video game, I have like 50 hours in it and loved every second.

yeah seconded, it's a decent enough point and click adventure game attached to super super super cool linguistic archaeology

I wish there were a sprint toggle or something but it's still one of my favorite puzzle-adjacent games of all time

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hey, how's the single player for SFV Championship Edition?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ciaphas posted:

That's exactly why I'm looking at said wankmouse: I got a trackball for my wrist's sake, and I like it, but in the vast majority of games it isn't fast or accurate enough even by my low standards. Figure maybe I can have my cake and eat it too with the vertical
Well, if you do, please keep me updated. I don't use computers for work as much as I used to, but I don't fancy ever having to deal with RSI again, either.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Quick question, can I ask for a refund for two DLC's? I bought them now for a game I had for years but I'm regretting it already.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Quick question, can I ask for a refund for two DLC's? I bought them now for a game I had for years but I'm regretting it already.
DLC is refundable under the same rules as games. If you refund it within 14 days or under 2 hours of playing, you should be fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

Bewilderingly poo poo in some places.

Well, I guess that's mildly unfair. SF has never been an NRS game or SoulCal. But it's got the big story campaign which is a bunch of one-off fights where you control most of the cast (as existed at the time it was made so around 35% now?) and watch a bunch of increasingly stupid in-engine cutscenes. Maybe 15 fights total, two, three hours? Then there are character stories, a handful of fights with some vague and frequently moronic characterization in drawn cutscenes. The fat man is fat and eats a lot, Zangief has lots of muscle and loves to fight, so on.

Finally Arcade mode is a bunch more interconnected fights with some story where you can pick one of several characters depending on what story you're playing and their relation to it. That at least is mostly just fighting without too much dumb poo poo and every route has a ton of character choices so it's a fair chunk of content but it is basically just bot fights with some story tacked onto the end.

If you want a fighting game for SP I'd recommend SC6 or MK11 first but those are both wildly different so. Also keep in mind I just started getting into fighting games recently so my opinion on that all might be fairly different from someone else.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Jamfrost posted:

There's a big patch supposed to come out today or tomorrow, supposed to fix the online. Even if you want only singleplayer though I would wait a bit because I wouldn't be surprised if they put it up on sale to celebrate.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Cardiovorax posted:

DLC is refundable under the same rules as games. If you refund it within 14 days or under 2 hours of playing, you should be fine.

Thanks, I'll go for it then.

Orv
May 4, 2011
CE just came out yesterday so it's unlikely to go on sale anytime soon, I would imagine.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is the most incompetent piece of dung ever published. I paid 2 bucks expecting it to be bad and I was still appalled.

So, you got to the Mayan temple, huh?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I beat the whole thing in six hours. As someone whose read every Holmes story and can tell you half of them aren't very good, that Devil's Daughter was dire. Imagine if instead of trying to make a great game on a small budget, like an Undertale or an Obra Dinn, you just sloppily imitated a big-budget game on a dime. To encapsulate how half-baked this game is it starts in media-res with Holmes running through the woods and being shot at. It then flash-backs to the beginning of the story and it builds up to show why Holmes is being hunted. Except that we never see it happen. They never wrote, scripted, or voiced a pivotal scene because they either had gently caress all money or just plain forgot. It's like Psycho was exactly was the same but Hitchcock couldn't be arsed to shoot the shower scene.

VVV: The latter.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 19, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wait... as in, they never cut back to Holmes being shot at? Or they didn't end up showing what led to Holmes being shot at and it just happens? Both of those are bad but the former is much worse (and funnier).

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The game is a shitshow. There isn't enough information to come to the correct solution in a majority of the cases, and the only reason I got the first one thought was because I'm familiar with The Most Dangerous Game...'s best adaptation, John Leguizamo's magnum opus The Pest.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Aw man, that's disappointing to hear. I played Testament years ago and remember it being okay; I was really looking forward to trying out Devil's Daughter because I snagged a free key in the gift thread yesterday after having forgotten about the series

Now I'm in the mood for Holmes; maybe I'll just reread some stories and wait for Crimes & Punishments to go on sale lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

VVV: The latter.

Lol. It reminds me of like a lovely TV drama where they do an intense attention grabbing moment before the opening titles, and then when the moment arrives it turns out they showed the entire thing and where it cut to the titles was the end of it. So so many TV shows are guilty of that dating all the way back to poo poo like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011
It really is astonishing how bad Devil's Daughter is after Crimes and Punishments.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

flesh dance posted:

Now I'm in the mood for Holmes; maybe I'll just reread some stories and wait for Crimes & Punishments to go on sale lol

Crimes & Punishments is the best Holmes, unless you really like teleporting Watson

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ripper Swarm posted:

I couldn't agree more, as long as you mean player guns.

Sitting in a parked car across the street and getting rid of every guard in a compound by using the drone to start gang1 vs gang2 vs SWAT threeway fights somehow never got old :allears:

The moment I figured out cops could get through EVERY door no matter how tight the security was, AND that I had the ability to frame people locked away behind secure doors with horrible crimes, was a very good day.

I think the "Google (but not)" HQ mission literally involved me just casually walking from the reception to the secret lab or whatever it was after having the cops arrest everybody in my way and leave all the doors open for me :hellyeah:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hmm, thanks for the input. I'll keep it lower priority I guess. Might look into DB FighterZ or Soulcalibur.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

When I was researching this a month ago it seems like most people said vertical mice only worked in the slowest games (stuff you could play on the trackball anyway like strategy games).

It sounds like you are dealing with similar issues to myself and I elected to instead get a lighter mouse that was a better fit for a palm grip. Its tough to change your mouse grip, but it is less of a strain to do palm instead of my usual claw grip when I can remember to do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I recommend the Logitech G Pro Hero if you're looking for a standard gaming mouse that's easy on the wrist. It's quite small and very light.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Personally, I'd recommend a mouse with a bit of heft to it. I find that a certain minimum weight helps with cramping or the "claw grip" that some people experience. It makes me feel less of a need to hold on to the mouse quite so tightly because a really light mouse always feels like it's overshooting the mark at the slightest touch.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

Orv posted:

It really is astonishing how bad Devil's Daughter is after Crimes and Punishments.

one of the worse things for me was how they chose to go the "super young and ultra cool" way with the main characters.
just terrible.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Just what are they discussing???

Oh...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hitman: Origins

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat mansplainers

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lmao

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Blackbird Interactive, of Homeworld fame, have revealed their next game and it's a spaceship decommissioning simulator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPgI9vkmYg
EA this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

Blackbird Interactive, of Homeworld fame, have revealed their next game and it's a spaceship decommissioning simulator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPgI9vkmYg
EA this summer.

Well, I just wishlisted the gently caress out of that.