Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Running cable and racking gear loving sucks and not having to do that crap is one of the best things about the cloud :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Racking gear isn't too bad, 1U Dell/HP stuff that isn't loaded with drives is easy to rack solo, provided you don't have a super tall rack and need to put things at the top, all the stuff I've done alone has been chest height or lower.

gently caress SuperMicro servers forever though.

I do not particularly care for cable management and I do not exactly enjoy making my own cables, I've done 1 and I'd prefer not to do it again.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't mind racking or cabling all that much, I even kind of enjoy making nice clean patterns with patch cables, very zen, but I HATE setting up desktops. My theory is if they want that poo poo to look nice they can bend themselves into pretzels running cables through our lovely desks.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Actually installing horizontal runs loving sucks, and is nowhere near well-compensated enough. Owning an LV cabling company pays; being a cable jockey doesn't. Those guys work much harder than I do and definitely deserve to be paid like it.

Racking switches and patching, on the other hand, I kind of enjoy doing. It's calming and you have a nice work product at the end you can be proud of.

Racking servers and UPSes sucks. Those are heavy. I don't do much of that and we have server lifts in our datacenter.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Speaking of cabling..

Are there any decent cable testers that are not $700+ Fluke units?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

stevewm posted:

Speaking of cabling..

Are there any decent cable testers that are not $700+ Fluke units?

Can you clarify what you mean by "cable tester" and clarify how rigorous a test you need? At that price point you're definitely not going to get an actual certifier, those are from "thousands" to "tens of thousands," but there are plenty of cheaper testers that will tell you whether a jack works.

Here is a ~$400 unit that actually used to be made by Fluke but was sold off (twice, actually) and is now a product line owned by a company called NetAlly:

https://www.amazon.com/NETSCOUT-LSP...dustrial&sr=1-2

It's called a LinkSprinter and it's what I use most of the time. It's smaller and cheaper than a LinkRunner, because it doesn't have a screen; you plug it into a jack and if there's a switch on the other side, it will link up, test, and if it can reach the Internet, it will upload the result to a (free) cloud service, which will then email the results to you. It supports PoE; I don't even keep batteries in mine because I want to know if PoE isn't working. (You can put batteries in it, which is helpful if there's a palm switch or something in the way that will prevent delivery of PoE.) This tester is of no use at all if you need to test cables that aren't patched into a switch, though.

If you just need a continuity tester/wire map checker, I found this Klein Tools one on Amazon for about $60:

https://www.amazon.com/Tester-Conti...dustrial&sr=1-4

I've never used it, but Klein usually makes reliable, reasonably priced kit. That page also has a ~$30 one that also supports RJ-11 and RJ-12 jacks, but it looks like that one doesn't do wire maps. Still might do the trick for you if you just need a pass/fail.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

guppy posted:

Can you clarify what you mean by "cable tester" and clarify how rigorous a test you need?

Basic wire pair test (are they present, shorted, etc..) would be nice. And possibly some mapping maybe?

Fake Edit: Looks like Klein has one that does mapping as well as basic testing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, the Klein unit I linked looks like it would suit your needs nicely. Fluke makes a unit that does it too but it looks crappier and is about $100. I'd go with the Klein. There are some cheaper options, but not by a lot, and I trust Klein more than some of these other brands.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Working in a server room and having to document everything that was already run but undocumented solidified my decision to not go into networking and approach cloud stuff.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://pockethernet.com/

Basic physical continuity/TDR/poe testing and then a shitload on top of that for actual networking (links to your phone though).

Edit: Or maybe it's a deadend product with no updates any more according to the forums...

unknown fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 18, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ideal make some decent testers and I got something from the Navitek range a few years ago for cheap.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 18, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

unknown posted:

Basic physical continuity/TDR/poe testing and then a shitload on top of that for actual networking (links to your phone though).

Edit: Or maybe it's a deadend product with no updates any more according to the forums...

That thing is pretty neat. Fluke sells something similar called the Linksprinter for $200

Oh and there's this thing for $180
https://netool.io/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 18, 2020

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

unknown posted:

I have two of these and I love them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok who has worked with Virtuastream? We just found out they will be hosting our new Epic system when we start transitioning from Cerner over the next 3 years.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Part of my duties are to draft project documents for our application guys, they are supposed to document all the things they work in (ports for services, paths for webapps etc). In the past they've had this HUGE word doc with lines and lines and lines of urls and other notes they email to the customer. Our engineering director/lead gives all new templates and says use this excel file instead because it's clearly better.

So I take this sheet, and as a courtesy I put table and a few auto-completing formulas. It's around 250 lines environment, hostname ,port, path. I fill out what I think the values are and ask the devs to finish it. Finally I get a response. A guy took the sheet, and highlighted all the values that were wrong, but didn't fix them, and emailed both our bosses showing how many mistakes I made. Like dude this was an example, I made a template for you to do your job easier and you could have just fixed the values while you were there. I'm :psyduck: .

Oh and also this has to be done today and he just left early.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Shame if it were to not be done today.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just watched this documentary over the weekend, if anyone wants to be more guilt ridden about your career than usual, I highly recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s57cQf1beo

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Just watched this documentary over the weekend, if anyone wants to be more guilt ridden about your career than usual, I highly recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s57cQf1beo

nice. I love when I get to hate myself more

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I get to spend the whole day tomorrow at a "Cyber Security" seminar at the local DoubleTree. Better have some cookies.

Hate going to stuff like this, especially when I could be doing actual work.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
So I asked for a raise and now management is aggressively asking me to document a handbook on my responsibilities and common procedures etc, is it a bad idea to negotiate?

I’m pretty sure they could just pay a consultant to figure out most of what needs to be documented?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
So, you asked for more money and their response was to demand that you a) write a job description, such as you would use when recruiting and b) a set of instructions on how to do your job, such as would be used by a new hire?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shut up Meg posted:

So, you asked for more money and their response was to demand that you a) write a job description, such as you would use when recruiting and b) a set of instructions on how to do your job, such as would be used by a new hire?

:emptyquote:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Shut up Meg posted:

Well yeah.
Is it worth pushing back against to negotiate for a raise?
I’ve been at this company for 5+ years, I should probably jump ship but it’s not that bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Computer Serf posted:

Well yeah.
Is it worth pushing back against to negotiate for a raise?
I’ve been at this company for 5+ years, I should probably jump ship but it’s not that bad.

The reason you are being asked this question is because the way you describe it, your boss is about to fire you. Being asked to describe what you do for the company and write a guide on how to do it isn't a good sign you are going to be around much longer.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How does your boss not know what you do already

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Sickening posted:

The reason you are being asked this question is because the way you describe it, your boss is about to fire you. Being asked to describe what you do for the company and write a guide on how to do it isn't a good sign you are going to be around much longer.

It might be because I mentioned I had an offer elsewhere but was open to staying if they gave me a raise.

I’m just wondering if it’s unreasonable to not contribute to the documentation?
More than half my hours are help desk stuff, and the rest is mostly vendor specific maintenance which ranges from read the manual to call support because something isn’t operating like expected.

The expectations for finding a replacement for me mostly hinge on finding another sucker willing to put in the 60 hour weeks, and capable of responding to the workload as quickly as I can.

I fully know I’m replaceable, just wondering how dramatic they’ll be if I hold back documentation for the negotiation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

It might be because I mentioned I had an offer elsewhere but was open to staying if they gave me a raise.

I’m just wondering if it’s unreasonable to not contribute to the documentation?
More than half my hours are help desk stuff, and the rest is mostly vendor specific maintenance which ranges from read the manual to call support because something isn’t operating like expected.

The expectations for finding a replacement for me mostly hinge on finding another sucker willing to put in the 60 hour weeks, and capable of responding to the workload as quickly as I can.

I fully know I’m replaceable, just wondering how dramatic they’ll be if I hold back documentation for the negotiation.

Do you actually have an offer somewhere else?

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
You showed your hand as soon as you told them you had another offer. Hope you actually have and want to take that offer elsewhere, because even if you do manage to negotiate a raise, as soon as that documentation is done you're just as replaceable and even more expensive than you were.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Methanar posted:

How does your boss not know what you do already

The main VP for the last 3 years recently left and the other department managers focus their attention on managing other employees and project deadlines. So it’s a mix of not paying attention, no ticketing system until they asked for a spreadsheet ticketing system a few days ago and maybe a bit of intentional obliviousness for conveniently dismissing my work (lots of maintenance)?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you’ve told them you’re going to leave unless they counteroffer, and this is the response, it’s time to go. Playing hardball with your current employer is not a long term successful strategy.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Sickening posted:

Do you actually have an offer somewhere else?

:smugbert: lol no

but i would be okay taking time off and going back to university

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup, time for a new job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

:smugbert: lol no

but i would be okay taking time off and going back to university

Be sure to take a course on negotiation or something because jfc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, that was a silly move. I'm not even sure it's worth negotiating with your current employer when you do have another job lined up.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

RIP

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

A coworker tried that many years ago, and then didn’t leave when they didn’t counter.

It was not good for their career at that company.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Okay well to add to this they did give me a little bump in salary, and I randomly found an email printed out where the main department boss suggested I get the rate I asked for but the new VP was like “I’ll bet we can get away with 1/2 the difference”

And someone else (main department manager) apparently recently pulled this off saying they were moving out of state in two weeks, and then they changed their mind, as if

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Would you like to come round to my place and play a few games of poker with me and my buddies?

It's all very relaxed and we play mostly for the fun of it.

Being your rent money with you.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You shoulda quit and gone hiking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

To be clear: they don't expect you to be on staff for much longer, so they gave you a pay bump as a temporary expense to make sure you stayed long enough to write a training manual for your replacement. Don't write the documentation, make other plans ASAP.0

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 19, 2020