Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I nominate pork buns as pastry of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Lechtansi posted:

Funny, i always get to the end of sleeping dogs and i'm all "OK, time to play the story DLC" and i never get into it because I'm already at my max open world shenanigans limit. maybe i should finally play it and just start with it.

Start with the dlc and then play the main game in dlc outfits.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm still playing Dragon's Dogma. Enjoying myself a lot.

A little thing: it's hard to get a good look at the harpies, because they swoop, but I really like the model. Their faces are human-adjacent, but also very much not on the same level of detail as your human NPCs. They're appropriately monstrous rather than sexy, even though they have boobs.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My favorite little thing in Conquest of Elysium 4 is when a faction's unit descriptions are clearly written by someone who hates that faction's guts.

The illusions themselves are also fun, most of them are described like this:

but there are a few exceptions

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know how I could read that there was a bear stalking in the woods and not expect something like this to happen, as if it weren't the sixth time I'm going through the same rollercoaster ride of wild poo poo, but it still caught me by surprise

https://i.imgur.com/GAXiRYs.mp4

Even better that the story preceding this bossfight was a stirring prison escape with the usual moving speeches of fraternal love. Then you punch a bear.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Samuringa posted:

I don't know how I could read that there was a bear stalking in the woods and not expect something like this to happen, as if it weren't the sixth time I'm going through the same rollercoaster ride of wild poo poo, but it still caught me by surprise

Even better that the story preceding this bossfight was a stirring prison escape with the usual moving speeches of fraternal love. Then you punch a bear.

https://i.imgur.com/0qUL5ow.mp4

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

And after that, a few hours of Project Diva.

Yakuza 5 is a trip.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This is all making me think I should check this games out, but I've never known if there was much story continuity to worry about. I think they're one of the only big open world action series I haven't tried or at least watched LPs of.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The best one remains Yakuza 0. It’s a prequel and thus requires no real knowledge of the events in the later games, so it’s also a real good place to get started, but it’s mechanically drat well refined compared to most of the sequels (which were made beforehand).

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks to a PSNow subscription, I've been catching up on some PS games I never got the chance to play on pc. Doing Uncharted now, and I have to say...

...is it just me, or did anyone else feel like they were playing Sterling Archer? Because literally every line said by Drake so far sounds like it should have been voiced by H. John Benjamin.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I tried to start at Kiwami, but I just could not get into it. It's really disappointing, since I've seen and heard so much great stuff about the series.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Thanks to a PSNow subscription, I've been catching up on some PS games I never got the chance to play on pc. Doing Uncharted now, and I have to say...

...is it just me, or did anyone else feel like they were playing Sterling Archer? Because literally every line said by Drake so far sounds like it should have been voiced by H. John Benjamin.

I didn't get that vibe from Uncharted, but I've heard that Alpha Protocol allows you to play through in a few non-superficially different ways, and one of those is basically Archer with the serial numbers filed off.

That said, if I had $Texas and a time machine, I'd replace the "Nolan North" voice option in Saints Row 3 with H. Jon Benjamin.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, H Jon Benjamin replacing any main character sounds like a solid use of my hypothetical future wealth.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly, H Jon Benjamin replacing any main character sounds like a solid use of my hypothetical future wealth.

I would also accept Patrick Warburton

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

I would also accept Patrick Warburton

Okay Konami, hear me out: MGSV re-release with David Hayter back, but also H Jon Benjamin as Ocelot and Patrick Warburton as Miller :homebrew:

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Captain Hygiene posted:

Okay Konami, hear me out: MGSV re-release with David Hayter back, but also H Jon Benjamin as Ocelot and Patrick Warburton as Miller :homebrew:

only if it's patrick warburton as kronk as miller.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JPrime posted:

only if it's patrick warburton as kronk as miller.

That combined with THEY PLAYED US LIKE A drat FIDDLE is basically what I want.

vvv I'd be open to that as well

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Feb 19, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’d rather hear him as Skull Face ranting about languages.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

I tried to start at Kiwami, but I just could not get into it. It's really disappointing, since I've seen and heard so much great stuff about the series.

Kiwami is a pretty weak choice to start with, it’s stuck on some painfully PS2 design choices to try to be a relatively faithful remake of 1. 0 is a good entry, then just jump into Kiwami 2 with the “previously on” thing first.

I love Yakuza and I’ve been playing those games for ages and I just could not get into Kiwami.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dewgy posted:

And to bring it all back around, Zinyak from Saints Row 4 was basically a love letter to Killface from Frisky Dingo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

And to bring it all back around, Zinyak from Saints Row 4 was basically a love letter to Killface from Frisky Dingo.

He really needed some terrified assistants to constantly be bullying, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HJB and PW as homies you can have ride along and sing with

50 cent blood on the sand only with HJB and PW

Army of Two

You get where I'm going with this

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dewgy posted:

Ranting about languages for half the car ride, sitting there in a long, awkward silence for the other half.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wei Shen is tasked with infiltrating the triads in Japan, and crosses paths with Kazuma Kiryu.

Choose the triads, the Yakuza or the law as Wei Shen and Kazuma Kiryu as the player battles across the cities of HK and Tokyo in a battle for supremacy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kronk: Ohhh, riiight, the vocal chord parasites. Skull Face's parasites. The same vocal chord parasites made by Code Talker. The vocal chord parasites that kill people who speak the same language.The ones being used by Skull Face to get rid of all lingua franca. Skull Face's parasites.

...Those vocal chord parasites?

Miller: YES, THOSE VOCAL CHORD PARASITES

Kronk: *flips up the missing third vial* Gotcha covered.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Feb 19, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He really needed some terrified assistants to constantly be bullying, though.

All I needed was Keith David on the spaceship pushing a bowl of cereal off a counter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

My favorite little thing in Conquest of Elysium 4 is when a faction's unit descriptions are clearly written by someone who hates that faction's guts.

The illusions themselves are also fun, most of them are described like this:

but there are a few exceptions

I really wish I could get my head around this game, theres so much cool stuff in it but for some reason I just launch it and pick a faction then stare at the screen in confusion for 10 minutes before tentatively clicking on a random tile and being killed by square goats or something

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Kiwami is a pretty weak choice to start with, it’s stuck on some painfully PS2 design choices to try to be a relatively faithful remake of 1. 0 is a good entry, then just jump into Kiwami 2 with the “previously on” thing first.

I love Yakuza and I’ve been playing those games for ages and I just could not get into Kiwami.

Kiwami’s the weakest gameplay-wise but the story is really good and worth experiencing, especially after playing 0

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So is Kiwami 2 a marked improvement to the first one? Or should I just skip to 0?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

So is Kiwami 2 a marked improvement to the first one? Or should I just skip to 0?

Kiwami 2 is a big improvement but 0 is probably the best game in series and the most stand-alone, so I'd say to start there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leavemywife posted:

I highly recommend starting with 0, and if that game sucks you into the franchise hopping to Kiwami or Kiwami 2 if you don't feel like giving Kiwami another shot. Kiwami 2 is a different beast, mechanically, from Kiwami at least. But 0 probably has the strongest story in the whole series and doesn't really hinge on the player knowing the characters or story beforehand since it's a prequel.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
0 is basically the official start of the series at this point since both 1 and 2 were remade with it in mind and all of them have several callbacks/forwards to each other. Its also a very safe starting point, for the reason stated previously - being a prequel that requires no knowledge of the series + being mechanically solid. The humor is also top-notch, especially compared to Kiwami 1's drier playthrough. It's also a safe investment as both consoles and PC version have been around long enough for someone to easily find a cheap sale, either in a discounted virtual storefront or physical release.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s hard to discuss this without spoilers but 0 lays a bunch of groundwork for the events of 1 but does it so subtly that you don’t even realize it until you finally play 1/Kiwami and all these stories from 15 years ago are suddenly a lot more captivating than I feel they would have been otherwise.

Spoiler example: I can’t imagine that the final showdown with Nishikiyama would have had near as much gravity if I had just played the game 15 years ago, without having seen him and Kiryu’s close friendship in 0

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

He has made the Serious Face.

Serious Face happened but shirt is still on.

Kiryu Threat Level: 8/10

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

0 is also coming to game pass for any xbox users out there

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

0 is also coming to game pass for any xbox users out there

Oh cool, I saw it was :20bux: still but maybe I'll just give it a month for half that price.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Samuringa posted:

It's always a tense "this just got serious" moment in Yakuza when someone pulls a gun as they tend to reinforce just how far someone is willing to go to risk handling one

https://i.imgur.com/4AbfbbZ.mp4

The best part about this is that they dont even use those rocket launchers in the fight, they just shoot them for the cutscene and then come at you with sledgehammers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tardcore posted:

The best part about this is that they dont even use those rocket launchers in the fight, they just shoot them for the cutscene and then come at you with sledgehammers

Well have you seen how expensive they are? Those're probably the only two they had! :pseudo:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Man this Kingdom Hearts DLC is nuts. Why's Mr. Incredible bald now?

RyokoTK posted:

The best one remains Yakuza 0. It’s a prequel and thus requires no real knowledge of the events in the later games, so it’s also a real good place to get started, but it’s mechanically drat well refined compared to most of the sequels (which were made beforehand).

And yet they call it Yakuza 0 despite the fact that it's the eighth game they've made.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Feb 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RareAcumen posted:

And yet they call it Yakuza 0 despite the fact that it's the eighth game they've made.

They call the 8th games 0. It’s a regional dialect