Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Azhais posted:

Just bring in the Harley Quinn version of Bane

Batwoman is a realtor? I am not the enemy here, gentrification is! I will EXPLODE gentrification!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Another Sunday, another week of Sophie being the worst. Never change Gotham City!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
good to see that Wayne Tower got its security system from STAR Labs/the Arrowcave

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I do hope they find a way that both Beth's can live

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

I do hope they find a way that both Beth's can live

Same.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sophie, you are the gosh dang worst.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Sophie, you are the gosh dang worst.

Transfer Alice's death curse on to Sophie, quick! Come on show, you can do it!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What are you thinking, Mary? Kate has a long history of bad decisions re: Alice, don't give her another chance to gently caress it up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

What are you thinking, Mary? Kate has a long history of bad decisions re: Alice, don't give her another chance to gently caress it up.

Oh thank god she made the right* choice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
lol gently caress this whole show

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Aaaaaaand gently caress this show. Seriously.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Well this is awkward.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I legit think I'm done with this show for the year after this. Batwoman briefly flirted with being a suddenly really interesting show, but couldn't maintain it, panicked, and pulled out in the messiest way possible.

Who the gently caress thought any of this was a good idea?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Did you seriously think they were going to get rid of Alice? At the very least they didn't have Sophie kill Beth. And now we get to explore the fallout of Alice coming to terms to with the fact that Kate was willing to let her die.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The show doesn't air for another hour over on this coast, and these comments have me worried.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Kate, if you wanted Beth to live and Alice to die, you really shoulda not tempted fate and just batarang'd Alice in the heart.

This show is really testing me, I swear.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Did you seriously think they were going to get rid of Alice? At the very least they didn't have Sophie kill Beth. And now we get to explore the fallout of Alice coming to terms to with the fact that Kate was willing to let her die.

They introduced a new (or rather, an old) villain in the form of Psycho Dad, and Arrowverse shows don't like to use more than one villain, so I thought maybe there was a chance. Plus Alice dying could make Mouse go (more) nuts, so there's that. There was a chance! :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

They introduced a new (or rather, an old) villain in the form of Psycho Dad, and Arrowverse shows don't like to use more than one villain, so I thought maybe there was a chance. Plus Alice dying could make Mouse go (more) nuts, so there's that. There was a chance! :negative:

I'm almost kind of impressed at how hard they swerved into the worst possible choice on all fronts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TwoPair posted:

lol gently caress this whole show

nine-gear crow posted:

Aaaaaaand gently caress this show. Seriously.
Yeah, I'm not watching any more of this poo poo.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I, for one, look forward to Mary hitting more people over the head with a chunky landline phone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was crappy. Beth was infinitely more likable than Alice. And since when do doppelgangers kill each other? We had like 6 Brainiacs in Supergirl and two Winns. They could have easily had her be both characters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

That was crappy. Beth was infinitely more likable than Alice. And since when do doppelgangers kill each other? We had like 6 Brainiacs in Supergirl and two Winns. They could have easily had her be both characters.

Tbf both the Brainys and the Winns didn't hang around for long. If they'd stuck around Brainy-Prime and Winn-Prime might've started to exhibit symptoms like Beth & Alice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Tbf both the Brainys and the Winns didn't hang around for long. If they'd stuck around Brainy-Prime and Winn-Prime might've started to exhibit symptoms like Beth & Alice.

I don't know, logic would dictate that all doppelgangers would have landed on Earth Prime at the same time. I wouldn't even be shocked if more doppelgangers show up on other shows later on and the just forget about the Beth/Alice effect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

They realized how much better Beth was as a character and how much better her prospects were than Alice and panicked and went "NO! MORE ALICE!" even though everyone is kind of loving sick of Alice by now.

So you know what, loving keep her then. Good job Batwoman writers. Should leaned right into the awful and just had Sophie kill Beth. Go all in on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
An even better option (that I think I already mentioned) would have been for Alice to kidnap Beth and brainwash her into being a second Alice so Kate's guilt would be even worse.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I don't know, logic would dictate that all doppelgangers would have landed on Earth Prime at the same time. I wouldn't even be shocked if more doppelgangers show up on other shows later on and the just forget about the Beth/Alice effect.

In Winn's case he had the excuse of being further up in the timeline so no interference. The Brainy's seemed only to exist for a short while.

Also seconding that these turns of events were just bad. Reintroduction of bad dad was fine, but him killing Beth to resolve that plot was not.

Edit: Preview from the next ep looks like they're scraping at every Batwoman villain that they can find (Magpie I guess was the exception) despite there being so few. I assume they're trying to get some Bat embargo out of the way to start using the old Gotham mainstays, but there's not a lot to pull from if they only have Batwoman characters to pull from.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 17, 2020

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Nooo! Batwoman show, what are you doing? It's like...it's like they saw our feedback, and their response was "What? Fanbase hate Alice? That's unpossible!"

...Just. Man. I want to keep liking this show, but the writers are making it so, so hard.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Did I miss some scene where they explain how both Evil Dad and Sophie knew exactly where Beth and Luke were going, to the point where they had each pre-established separate perfect sniping positions? It seemed like a random hotel or something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

An even better option (that I think I already mentioned) would have been for Alice to kidnap Beth and brainwash her into being a second Alice so Kate's guilt would be even worse.

No, no, that would've been vastly worse.

Here's the deal, one of the things the show has actually been fairly clever about is how both of the Kane sisters started off the series thinking they could "save" the other one. Kate was disabused of that notion when Catherine was murdered (more or less), but Alice still thought she could bring Kate around. What better way to convince Alice that's not true than to have Kate pick a different Beth?

Now i don't disagree that killing Beth was dumb, that this particular predicament will never again show up in any Arrowverse show, and that Alice needs to go on vacation for...quite a few episodes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Anyone else notice Kate's hair changing between scenes?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know Kate isn't exactly on friendly terms with other heroes (with the exception of Kara) but it felt really awkward that she didn't go for help from Star Labs.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

howe_sam posted:

And now we get to explore the fallout of Alice coming to terms to with the fact that Kate was willing to let her die.
Oh boy she might turn even crazier!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I know Kate isn't exactly on friendly terms with other heroes (with the exception of Kara) but it felt really awkward that she didn't go for help from Star Labs.

That's comics! ...and comic-related TV shows!

tbf though, unless her and Barry had a long chat off screen during Crisis, she basically knows nothing about him and STAR and the fact that they deal with all sorts of wild poo poo like this all the time. I don't even think the public at large knows that the Flash and people at Star work together, just that Star Labs happens to make stuff like metahuman power dampeners.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!
Yea I think i'm done with this. They're constantly trying to make us feel bad for a character that is not sympathetic at all. Alice has done nothing but murder and hurt and manipulate people and doesn't deserve a single second of pity.

But you know I could probably accept that knowing that they were moving in another direction with the villain BUT even then its just a different poo poo coming out of the same rear end in a top hat. The Mouse evil family thing is not compelling, its cliche and hackney and there is a reason that Mystique isn't always the villain of the X-men because shape shifters get annoying if over used, and that's their whole gimmick. Plus the Crows are just the worst. Everything involving them is utter poo poo. They made their point, PMC as Police are terrible we get it. It's not compelling or adds anything interesting to the setting.

God drat Mary, inject Alice with like 100ccs of Morphine and let her die high as poo poo.

I cannot believe this is being made by the same people responsible for Legends of Tomorrow. Did they move all the writers from the bad Flash and Arrow seasons to Batwoman?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 19, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure why they even bothered to tease the idea that they would be getting rid of Alice just to backtrack so cheaply. Like it would make sense if the end came about organically but instead somehow everyone knew where Luke was going to take Beth.

Also I was pretty disappointed that they went with evil dad wearing a mask when they wrote in that he's a brilliant plastic surgeon and rightly it should have been him altering his face to actually look like that. Wearing a mask all the time is just asking for it to accidentally fall off.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was waiting for the reveal that Alice pulled a switcheroo with Beth. Wouldn't have made sense but whatever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I think i'm done with this. They're constantly trying to make us feel bad for a character that is not sympathetic at all. Alice has done nothing but murder and hurt and manipulate people and doesn't deserve a single second of pity.

But you know I could probably accept that knowing that they were moving in another direction with the villain BUT even then its just a different poo poo coming out of the same rear end in a top hat. The Mouse evil family thing is not compelling, its cliche and hackney and there is a reason that Mystique isn't always the villain of the X-men because shape shifters get annoying if over used, and that's their whole gimmick. Plus the Crows are just the worst. Everything involving them is utter poo poo. They made their point, PMC as Police are terrible we get it. It's not compelling or adds anything interesting to the setting.

God drat Mary, inject Alice with like 100ccs of Morphine and let her die high as poo poo.

I cannot believe this is being made by the same people responsible for Legends of Tomorrow. Did they move all the writers from the bad Flash and Arrow seasons to Batwoman?

With what's been shown in the story, I'm hard pressed to think of a reason to really care about Kate. There's not a lot to her outside of being Batwoman as far as the audience has been shown. Yes, she's doing some real estate thing, but pretty much every CW hero gives a lot more service to what they do when the mask is off. Barry does his CSI stuff (and they still bring it up from time to time), Kara and CatCo are usually B or C plot foundations, and Ollie did all sorts of stuff even when he was just rich but unemployed. But Kate? Nothing. Sophie's in the same boat but no one likes her. Technically Luke is too but I think there's more people that like him. Mary's one of the few characters who seems to have more than just their job or familiar role or whatever.

I'm actually worrieed this got Greenlit for a S2 because while they've hit a new low, it's always possible to go lower.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I don't even think the public at large knows that the Flash and people at Star work together, just that Star Labs happens to make stuff like metahuman power dampeners.
They know that both the Flash and Star Labs frequently work with the police. And given the kind of crazy stuff they deal with, there's no way it's not all over TV worldwide.

Xelkelvos posted:

With what's been shown in the story, I'm hard pressed to think of a reason to really care about Kate. There's not a lot to her outside of being Batwoman as far as the audience has been shown. Yes, she's doing some real estate thing, but pretty much every CW hero gives a lot more service to what they do when the mask is off. Barry does his CSI stuff (and they still bring it up from time to time), Kara and CatCo are usually B or C plot foundations, and Ollie did all sorts of stuff even when he was just rich but unemployed. But Kate? Nothing. Sophie's in the same boat but no one likes her. Technically Luke is too but I think there's more people that like him. Mary's one of the few characters who seems to have more than just their job or familiar role or whatever.
Kill off Kate and her dad, and Sophie, and Alice, and Mouse and his dad, bring in a new villain and make Mary Batwoman. I don't care that Kate's got special super-soldier training and Mary doesn't, normal people putting on a mask and suddenly being able to fight good is pretty standard in these shows. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, assuming the show lasts that long, Mary is actually holding her own in fights by, like, season three anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm actually worrieed this got Greenlit for a S2 because while they've hit a new low, it's always possible to go lower.

I really like Kate when she's batwomaning, but yea 99% its all her upset about Alice/Beth and everything and its just so boring. Nothing about that plot is interesting or compelling but they just keep doubling down on it. It's like the Diaz seasons of Arrow but worse somehow.

And yea, Season 2 is almost certainly going to be more of the same thing. I can see the writers room now "people really hate the Alice and Sophie plots" "What? That's impossible, it's one of the greatest things every written for tv! We're not wrong the audience is wrong!".

I'll probably check out the thread to see if the episode improved but i'm not going to waste space on my PVR (which i got a new one of today, for free as part of the new internet package I got) on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

And yea, Season 2 is almost certainly going to be more of the same thing. I can see the writers room now "people really hate the Alice and Sophie plots" "What? That's impossible, it's one of the greatest things every written for tv! We're not wrong the audience is wrong!".
Legends of Tomorrow changed drastically after its terrible first season.