Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Heath, that chocolate aire stuff is https://happyluckys.com/products/chocolate-aire yea? I've enjoyed Upton's coconut pu'erh (and I think some other chocolate pu'erh from a more mainstream brand) so putting this on my list to try sometime. Is Happyluckys your main supplier? I'd never heard of them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

bitprophet posted:

Heath, that chocolate aire stuff is https://happyluckys.com/products/chocolate-aire yea? I've enjoyed Upton's coconut pu'erh (and I think some other chocolate pu'erh from a more mainstream brand) so putting this on my list to try sometime. Is Happyluckys your main supplier? I'd never heard of them before.

Yes, they're local to me so I get all of my tea through them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Tea doesn't even compare to coffee with regard to caffeine. 8 ounces of ceremonial grade matcha is probably the highest you're going to get from tea at 70ish mg, compared to 90 in a cup of coffee. That's going to get expensive. Yerba mate is going to have more caffeine than tea will, closer to a cup of coffee.

I've been drinking matcha for years and I find it wakes me up pretty well, but it doesn't jolt you like coffee does. It's more of a slow release, and I feel like it lasts longer. Coffee makes me crash hard, while matcha keeps me pretty even throughout the day.

That's interesting, I stopped having espresso all the time because it was making me jittery, and coffee was doing the job, but two tea bags made me feel the same - as in, the same chronic fatigue I usually feel, without the caffeine withdrawal. I figured 2x bags of black tea was at least close to normal coffee.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A serving of black tea can be something like 35-50 so two bags would probably do the job.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LifeLynx posted:

I switched to tea because it's cheaper and tastes better than homemade coffee, but I've been doing it wrong and know it could taste better.

Content Warning: Bad Tea Preparation

I microwave a cup of water and dunk two tea bags in there (Bigelow or Twinings, English Breakfast or Earl Grey), let it cool a bit, and drink it. It does the job caffeine-wise, but I've had loose tea and it tastes better.

First thing I'm probably going to get is a cheap electric kettle with an Amazon gift card I have, but what's a good beginner tea setup? I'd like caffeine that's close if not a little under a cup of coffee, and a minimal amount of fuss because I'm not going to have much patience before I've had my caffeine.

You'll not get close to coffee caffeine levels unless you want to drink multiple cups of tea (which is fine if your body lets you).

Twinnings Earl Grey in the bags is absolutely weak and tasteless so I can see why you are brewing it double strength.

Honestly Bigelow isn't half bad tea and I happily drink it when I don't have loose tea. Constant Comment is what I usually get from them. (I swear their organic green is sencha floor sweepings and it is good for the price.)

Do you want to stick with bags? Is loose-leaf tea Ok? Do you want flavored tea, or plain tea?

I find loose leaf tea no more trouble than when I would make my own coffee, but the pyramid tea bags seem to do pretty well these days if you don't want to get a filter basket. Or you can buy disposable paper filters for tea and it is like using a bag, just one you fill yourself.

Since you're a coffee drinker I think you'll probably prefer black tea. Adagio sells through Amazon and their offerings are a good introduction to tea. Perhaps one of their black sampler sets? Though those aren't available through Amazon, and if you stray from Amazon there is better tea available. Adagio has bags of some of their tea.

I never was much a fan of Adagio's Earl Grey, but I did enjoy their peach oolong quite a bit.

Harney and Sons Paris is a delightful flavored black tea available in bags and loose. It's usually cheaper on their site but I've seen it on Amazon.

BTW if you like Earl Grey and want to make sure you are knocked senseless by it, Upton Tea has an Extra Bergamot that is quite bold. (Normal black caffeine levels though.)

A major thing for getting better tea is figuring out how long to steep it. When you get some tea in, we can help you with that.

The other big thing for making better tea is finding out what temperature you're getting the water to when you microwave it. That will make a big difference in what you extract from the leaves.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
As for tea setup: I have generally been pretty minimal with my setup and have only recently gotten more serious about my brewing since I'm doing a lot more of it at home. You really don't need much, a plain tea ball strainer and a cheap electric kettle will suffice for most things (I use this one)

A good cast iron tea pot will be your best bet if you want to go that route. They can vary a lot in price but any one should do and will last basically forever so long as you clean it. Cast iron pots will stay hot for a long time, and most come with a strainer.

If you prefer black teas, most of them aren't super heat sensitive and will brew fine from just clicking on the kettle (contrasted with a green tea or a more delicate oolong that will suffer from being steeped too hot or too long.) You could probably get a serviceable setup from just a kettle, tea ball and a mug.

Edit: you may enjoy that chocolate tea I posted about (linked above.) It's dark and savory and you basically can't oversteep it, but it might not hit your caffeine threshold.

Heath fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 19, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

LifeLynx posted:

That's interesting, I stopped having espresso all the time because it was making me jittery, and coffee was doing the job, but two tea bags made me feel the same - as in, the same chronic fatigue I usually feel, without the caffeine withdrawal. I figured 2x bags of black tea was at least close to normal coffee.

If you’re switching from coffee because the caffeine crash is bad for you, I’d recommend mate. There’s a roasted mate, usually called Brasilano in a lot of tea shops I’ve seen, that kinda has that chocolate/chicory flavor, which is a great substitute for a nice mocha

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
One of my friends is holding a tea party at her place this weekend, and she bought $200 worth of tea from Adagio for us to try (including 8 oz of butterfly pea flowers, for some goddamn reason). I'm actually super psyched for some of it, and if there's interest I'll try to get her permission to take and post some pictures.

I love Adagio for being local, and I actually really appreciate the 'fandom blends' section of the website because while it can be weeby sometimes, some of the blends are so tasty. Black Lady, Grunt and Liara are great blends for people like me who prefer flavored teas/herbal infusions. Black Lady is my current favorite but Liara is a really lovely citrusy pick-me-up.

Stuporstar posted:

If you’re switching from coffee because the caffeine crash is bad for you, I’d recommend mate. There’s a roasted mate, usually called Brasilano in a lot of tea shops I’ve seen, that kinda has that chocolate/chicory flavor, which is a great substitute for a nice mocha

Mate is really good if you like roasty coffees as opposed to fruity/acidic.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

så to y’all norwegian tea lovers, the instagram page that truck stop daddy mentioned a few months ago has now opened a web shop and for the first time ever we can now buy whole cakes of puerh in norway :monocle:

i’m excited about this. the selection, though sparse, seem really good so far

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I've been a big iced coffee drinker for a while but the caffeine is combining with a new medication in a bad way, so I'm going to try to stop drinking it. I was thinking of replacing my usual morning habit with a nice decaf tea, and ideally one that's served well cold. I've always like Earl Grey, green tea, peppermint, and other herbal teas, just not enough to make a habit of them. What would be the best options for decaf teas I could plop into ice water and still have my morning routine with something tasty, or would I be better off making something in advance or pouring hot before chilling? Thanks all! Big transition for me.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

I've been a big iced coffee drinker for a while but the caffeine is combining with a new medication in a bad way, so I'm going to try to stop drinking it. I was thinking of replacing my usual morning habit with a nice decaf tea, and ideally one that's served well cold. I've always like Earl Grey, green tea, peppermint, and other herbal teas, just not enough to make a habit of them. What would be the best options for decaf teas I could plop into ice water and still have my morning routine with something tasty, or would I be better off making something in advance or pouring hot before chilling? Thanks all! Big transition for me.

I find that brewing decaf herbal teas hot and then icing them is the best way, as they don't generally extract well enough in cold water. Do you have a preference for certain flavors, or do you want to experiment? The Grunt tea in my post up a couple from this one is a mixture of a bunch of fruit, and I really enjoy it iced when the weather gets hot.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I find that brewing decaf herbal teas hot and then icing them is the best way, as they don't generally extract well enough in cold water. Do you have a preference for certain flavors, or do you want to experiment? The Grunt tea in my post up a couple from this one is a mixture of a bunch of fruit, and I really enjoy it iced when the weather gets hot.

Experimenting is probably a good idea - I'm not a worldly tea enthusiast. Is there a company that would offer a nice variety pack to sample?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

Experimenting is probably a good idea - I'm not a worldly tea enthusiast. Is there a company that would offer a nice variety pack to sample?

Adagio. This is a link to their iced tea 'starter sets', and each set apparently comes with a pitcher if you need one. I'm sure other sites have selections, but again, I'm a bit biased. I just really like Adagio. :3:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Tom Tucker posted:

You’re lucky, Earl Grey is one of the few types of tea you can get in decaf. I buy Murchies decaf teas https://www.murchies.com/store/fine-tea/tea-type/decaf-tea.html for my husband, since he can’t have caffeine anymore, and there’s Yorkshire decaf, which would do fine iced. And of course there’s tons of good herbal blends out there, but those should get you buy on those days you’re missing the taste of tea.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

ulvir posted:

så to y’all norwegian tea lovers, the instagram page that truck stop daddy mentioned a few months ago has now opened a web shop and for the first time ever we can now buy whole cakes of puerh in norway :monocle:

i’m excited about this. the selection, though sparse, seem really good so far

Yeah, prices are sort of steep though? I still have lots of the stuff I picked up from him. The maocha I talked about earlier. Have a few different ones. Some Thai pus if I remember correctly. Also, tried his 2002 (might have been a different vintage) da ye shu, that was very good. I’ll drink one of them again tomorrow to check. Cant justify picking up more tea atm, even though I’d like to support him...

Not been drinking much tea lately really, but made a light oolong from tea masters yesterday, in a bigger hiding pot I haven’t used in a while. My timing was apparently completely off, and the brew ended up too thin :/ I’ve not really used any of my oolong yixing pots since I picked up a smaller chaozhou pot. It’s really weird that they brew tea so differently...

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I've recently become extremely caffeine sensitive as well and it really bums me out that I can't drink my favorite darjeelings anymore. Used to be a favorite drink on cold, rainy days. On a recommendation from a friend I've started drinking rooibos and am liking it a lot! Doesn't exactly taste like black tea, but it has a really nice mellow flavor. Mixing it with a little bit of French vanilla is my favorite so far as it adds a wonderful aroma and pairs really well with the rooibos, though I'd like to get some recommendations on other blends to try out. Has anyone tried it with a little hibiscus? I'm still new to this world of herbal teas but excited to try a bunch out!

Also, sorry if this comes off as :goonsay:, but it's important to note that decaf does not mean caffeine free and the two shouldn't be used interchangeably. Decaf coffee/tea still contains small amounts of caffeine which can still affect people with sensitivities. I work in a place here food allergens are taken super-seriously, so stuff like that is always on my mind.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Def feeling the fandom teas from adagio that I got as a SASS gift a couple of years ago.

I know they’re not everyone here’s favorite, but for those starting to dabble in tea I really like David’s Tea. Some of it comes sweetened which may make for an easier transition to tea life. There’s also a lot of selections without being super overwhelming as I have personally spent a large chunk of time at work just browsing the adagio site and getting lost amongst the selections. I also like that David’s lists every ingredient as I have food allergies.
I started with Teavana when they were open and that helped me a lot so if there’s a David’s nearby where you live having someone to talk to and bounce questions off of helps a ton. Plus you can smell and sample things in store to get an idea of what you’re about to get into.
For the transitioning out of coffee people I know David’s has tea with coffee notes in it.
For the herbal poster, they have some fantastic herbal teas. Sunny C is my favorite for cold/flu season as I really hate mint (I don’t like feeling like I’m drinking mouthwash).

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Yeah, prices are sort of steep though?

the Naka cake seems averagely priced, actually slightly cheaper than puerh.sk’s (120€) but yeah the rest is on the more expensive end, especially the 2006 one.

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Cant justify picking up more tea atm

same, but i’ll definitely get some next month perhaps. i really want to give that 1960’s puerh a go. i’ve been holding out on HK tea life fora while, and with the new import customs stuff i don’t think i can justify only getting samples in the mail from abroad anymore

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

As for tea setup: I have generally been pretty minimal with my setup and have only recently gotten more serious about my brewing since I'm doing a lot more of it at home. You really don't need much, a plain tea ball strainer and a cheap electric kettle will suffice for most things (I use this one)

Amazon delivered this and it's amazing the taste difference just from actually boiled water vs. microwaved water. It's less bitter for sure.

I'm going to try some yerba mate. For some reason I assumed it was just herbal tea with minimal if any caffeine.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Chip McFuck posted:

I've recently become extremely caffeine sensitive as well and it really bums me out that I can't drink my favorite darjeelings anymore. Used to be a favorite drink on cold, rainy days. On a recommendation from a friend I've started drinking rooibos and am liking it a lot! Doesn't exactly taste like black tea, but it has a really nice mellow flavor. Mixing it with a little bit of French vanilla is my favorite so far as it adds a wonderful aroma and pairs really well with the rooibos, though I'd like to get some recommendations on other blends to try out. Has anyone tried it with a little hibiscus? I'm still new to this world of herbal teas but excited to try a bunch out!

Also, sorry if this comes off as :goonsay:, but it's important to note that decaf does not mean caffeine free and the two shouldn't be used interchangeably. Decaf coffee/tea still contains small amounts of caffeine which can still affect people with sensitivities. I work in a place here food allergens are taken super-seriously, so stuff like that is always on my mind.

Two herbal teas I really like are Harney & Sons' Indigo Punch and Wissotzky Tea's Fruit Galore (Wegmans sells this in their kosher food section).

Indigo Punch really does brew that deep blue color, and it turns purple if you squeeze a little lemon juice into it. :3:

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 21, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LifeLynx posted:

Amazon delivered this and it's amazing the taste difference just from actually boiled water vs. microwaved water. It's less bitter for sure.

I'm going to try some yerba mate. For some reason I assumed it was just herbal tea with minimal if any caffeine.

My (unscientific, unverified) assessment is that I don't think a microwave can heat water evenly and you get some wonkiness with the variant temperatures. Water near the edge of the mug will be hotter than the water in the middle, etc.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Chip McFuck posted:

On a recommendation from a friend I've started drinking rooibos and am liking it a lot! Doesn't exactly taste like black tea, but it has a really nice mellow flavor. Mixing it with a little bit of French vanilla is my favorite so far as it adds a wonderful aroma and pairs really well with the rooibos, though I'd like to get some recommendations on other blends to try out.

This isn't a DIY blend but I recommend it to anyone who will listen: Mariage Freres Red Bourbon is an excellent rooibos and one of my all-time favourite drinks. Excellent iced too, doesn't even need sweetener.

It is literally a vanilla-flavoured tea from France though, so I don't know if it's just more of what you've already had.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Two herbal teas I really like are Harney & Sons' Indigo Punch and Wissotzky Tea's Fruit Galore (Wegmans sells this in their kosher food section).

Indigo Punch really does brew that deep blue color, and it turns purple if you squeeze a little lemon juice into it. :3:

Hey, Rabbit, whereabouts do you hail from? Buffalo goon here, and yeah, Wegmans has some good selection for a giant grocery store owned by white people. I like, and posted about, their loose lavender sencha a couple pages ago. Same with their holiday spirit, if you want an herbal you can drink before bed. It's kinda minty, kinda fruity, and it's cheap as hell.

Tom Tucker posted:

Gonna Nth experimentation for you. just try everything. A coworker of mine gifted me a box of decaf ginko green a couple months back. I never had it iced, but it was pretty dang good hot. Sadly, I finished it and tossed the box, so I don't know the brand name. For iced teas, I like something fruit mixed with a mellow, sweeter tea, like a golden oolong. Unfortunately, I don't really drink decaf tea myself, or else I'd give you some specific recommendations. Your best bet is going to be to find a decaf tea you like and just ice it. Either do the 24 hour cold infusion, or steep and chill.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a bit of a single cultivar green called Oku Midori that I will probably have tomorrow morning. I also got a shitload of Konacha that's real good

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This morning's tea was the Oku Midori Sencha I posted about above. Sencha is another Japanese green, and is the most popular tea in the country. This one is a single cultivar tea, meaning that all of the leaves were harvested from clones of the same plant, giving it a distinct flavor. Here it is in the sample bag I got:

Similar to gyokuro, nice rolled leaves that unfurl when steeped, and the kind of dark green characteristic of good Japanese teas. It's not quite as dark as the gyokuro, since that tea is grown under extended shade, causing it to produce more chlorophyll to compensate.

The initial steeping came out the kind of gorgeous, cloudy neon green that I look for in Japanese teas. Unfortunately I didn't have time to resteep this batch, and I'm told it doesn't resteep all that well, which I tend to believe since the initial steep cast off some of its original color:

That said, the drink came out excellent.

Nice dark green, strong seaweed smell, grassy and springy, all things I love in a tea. And while I love gyokuro, it does tend to overstimulate my stomach and make me super hungry, which this tea did to a lesser degree, making it quite drinkable on its own, without food. This tea costs about as much as the shop sells gyokuro for (it's like $1/oz. cheaper, I think, so not much) so I will probably pick up a little bit for special occasions. Single cultivar teas that are actually good and not merely novel are a bit hard to come by.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
thes du japon is run by a slightly mad french dude who sells only single-estate, single-cultivar japanese tea, with a strong focus on what i'm going to delicately describe as the hipster cultivars. a lot of his selection is definitely more on the "interesting, thanks, now to never buy that again" than "good quality for value" side, but the listings are generally pretty honest when he suspects that a tea won't have widespread appeal.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Made some nice tea again yesterday. Experimenting a bit with technique. Made a tea that was sold to me as a "monkey king" oolong. It's not a term I'm familiar with, but I believe it's a dark, charcoal roasted TGY (not the neon green stuff). Also, brought out my chaozhou kettle and tested it out on an infrared heater. Worked quite while, but it has a messy pour. Can't wait for spring/summer to bring it out on my new terrace on the charcoal stove.

Preheated my yixing pot thoroughly, used slightly more leaf than what was needed to cover the bottom of the pot. Did a rinse with nearly boiling water, and let the leaf steam in the pot with the lid closed for about a minute, before doing my first steep. Let it steep for about a minute. Perfect stuff! No off-tastes and nice rich flavours. Did another steep of a minute, and then a 2 minute steep to finish the leaves off.

I've used this tecnique a couple times before and the results have been consequent excellent brews. Brings out really nice flavour from lighter oolongs, if you lower water temperature a bit. Only thing I don't like about it, is that the the longer steeps tend to finish off the leaves after about 3 steeps.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Made some dong ding oolong I picked up two years ago. Had forgotten about it, but it was still great!

Also, gave another go to a 2017 Thai puerh I picked up from ville trær half a year ago(?). Was quite nice! It’s still a young sheng, but seems to have aged a bit and changed character slightly. Color of the brew was different than the last time I made it, more of a reddish orange than the clear pale yellow it was the last time. Not a whole lot of tastes yet though, but less astringency at least.

Was gifted a pair of old chinese plates a while back. Been using them to measure out leaf. I really like the teaware aspect of this hobby... currently looking for some sort of cupboard for all my teaware and tea.

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 5, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Does anyone have bulk herbal tea recommendations that are not loose leaf? I drink about a gallon and a half to two gallons of tea a day and use about 10 to 16 tea bags. I can do loose leaf tea technically but prepping that amount of hot tea while at work is a hit or miss because I'm not quite sure how much loose leaf I should use for 64 oz at a time (I have one of those giant yeti jugs).

Also folks were talking about caffeine from tea earlier, I'd recommend Zest Tea products for early morning caffeine jolt, the pomegranate mojito is a favorite of mine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Have you tried T-Sac tea filter bags? Size 4 would probably suit your purpose. You can seal them with a food saver on just the heat setting and then you can measure out your bulk loose leaf and just take the whole bag with you to work. Figuring out how much is in one of your tea bags isn’t difficult either, it might even say on the box, but you could just open one and weigh the inside. I’d expect it to be about 3g per bag though. So you’re looking at between 30-48g if loose and in a large filter.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yerba Mate is really good. The only brand I've tried is Guayaki, and I like it, but is there anything better?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Anyone know anything about lead content in chinese ceramics? I know it’s a problem with some older porcelain. Red overglazes particularly.

Bought some modern porcelain tea cups off taobao a while ago and yesterday it struck me that they might be of the bad sort. Bright ted and green overglazes imitating an antique style. The taobao vendor seems reputable, but it’s probably a dumb idea to poison myself just because I like fancy tea cups... Is there a way to test this stuff?

On the topic of taobao, going to order some more ceramics off there soon. Possibly also some winter harvest dancing if I can find any... Any Norwegian tea goons want in on an order? There’s a massive amount of tea on there even though it’s a bit hard to orient yourself without reading chinese...

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I’m back 20-something pages later to ask for more advice...I’ve been consistently steeping my tea for the correct amount of time, what’s one more thing I can do to get better at making delicious tea?

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Anyone know anything about lead content in chinese ceramics? I know it’s a problem with some older porcelain. Red overglazes particularly.

Bought some modern porcelain tea cups off taobao a while ago and yesterday it struck me that they might be of the bad sort. Bright ted and green overglazes imitating an antique style. The taobao vendor seems reputable, but it’s probably a dumb idea to poison myself just because I like fancy tea cups... Is there a way to test this stuff?

I didn’t know this if a thing, should I be worried about it with the tea set I got from my parents’ neighbors garage sale when they sold everything to move? also it came with those little square platters, what are they for?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jazz Marimba posted:

I’m back 20-something pages later to ask for more advice...I’ve been consistently steeping my tea for the correct amount of time, what’s one more thing I can do to get better at making delicious tea?

I find the water temperature to be hugely important. There are a bunch of guides out there to match your tea of choice with the right temperature range, and an electric kettle with adjustable heat control will let you do that.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can buy lead test strips off the internet for basically free iirc, and one pack will set you up with enough to test every teapot you'll ever own even if you're as much of a klutz as i am

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Tried looking into this a bit yesterday. Found some posts saying the recommended swabs (3m lead check), doesn’t really work for ceramics. Most of these swabs are made to check wall paints or something and supposedly give false positives/negatives. I dunno really. I sort of expect the modern stuff I have to be safe.

Got these two late Qing(possibly?)/early ROC porcelain plates, that almost certainly are unsafe to use. Bright yellow overglazes with hairline cracks.

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 12, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

On the topic of taobao, going to order some more ceramics off there soon. Possibly also some winter harvest dancing if I can find any... Any Norwegian tea goons want in on an order? There’s a massive amount of tea on there even though it’s a bit hard to orient yourself without reading chinese...

this site is great for all things ceramics related: https://digitalfire.com/4sight/education/are_your_glazes_food_safe_or_are_they_leachable_12.html

they have some tests if you're prepared to take some risks (both on damaging your ceramics and lead intake):

quote:

All glass leaches to some extent when it comes into contact with acids or bases, especially if the contact occurs over a period of time or the acid is hot. This is evident by a change the gloss and texture of the glass surface over time. The ability of the glaze to pass two simple tests can be a good assurance that it will give trouble-free service.

Dishwasher Test: Take two identical items and put one in your cupboard and leave one in the dishwasher for two months. Compare the surfaces of the two very closely. If the washed one looks any different, either in color, gloss, or texture then you have a glaze that is vulnerable to attack of bases. The strongest base that most people have access to is Drano so you could use it for a super-duper test.
Vinegar Test: Fill a glazed container half full of vinegar and leave it for several days. Dry the item and compare the color and surface character (e.g. lustre, gloss, texture) above and below the liquid line. Amazingly lemon juice is a stronger acid (but not as strong as stomach acid!). You can just leave a lemon slice against the glaze surface also. Any differences between the acid-exposed surface and the regular surface indicates that the glaze is subject to leaching in acids. There is also way that you can amplify the result: If your glaze is white or transparent add 5% cobalt and do a vinegar leaching test on it (if you are using a colored glaze, add enough of the colorant to get a bright color before doing the test). Excessively unstable glazes can easily turn white with an overnight vinegar leach.
If you want to be a little more scientific you can send the vinegar leachate to a lab to test for the metal in question, then compare the result with its drinking water standards. This type of information is available by using a search engine on the Internet. For example, if you google "manganese drinking water standard" in google you will get 258,000 hits! Look around and you'll find that manganese has public drinking water standards of 0.01-0.05 mg/liter. Remember also that to be totally applicable someone would have to drink all their water from the same glazed container, and any metals already in the water, body weight, whether or not the body accumulates it, etc. would have to be taken into account.

These tests are not technical enough to guarantee that ware is going to be absolutely safe but they will certainly expose glazes that are obviously unsafe.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Jhet posted:

Have you tried T-Sac tea filter bags? Size 4 would probably suit your purpose. You can seal them with a food saver on just the heat setting and then you can measure out your bulk loose leaf and just take the whole bag with you to work. Figuring out how much is in one of your tea bags isn’t difficult either, it might even say on the box, but you could just open one and weigh the inside. I’d expect it to be about 3g per bag though. So you’re looking at between 30-48g if loose and in a large filter.

Thank you for the information, I'll look into this!

breaks
May 12, 2001

Trabant posted:

I find the water temperature to be hugely important. There are a bunch of guides out there to match your tea of choice with the right temperature range, and an electric kettle with adjustable heat control will let you do that.

Aside from this I’d say just getting used to tweaking the time/temp/water:leaf/brewing vessel variables to get the most out of whatever particular tea you’re brewing. Also just experimenting with different brewing styles or intentionally doing the “wrong” thing to see what effect it has or maybe having an unexpected success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

pointsofdata posted:

this site is great for all things ceramics related: https://digitalfire.com/4sight/education/are_your_glazes_food_safe_or_are_they_leachable_12.html

they have some tests if you're prepared to take some risks (both on damaging your ceramics and lead intake):
Thanks! Most likely I won't do this, as I only have a pair of cups and a small pitcher that I'm curious about. If I discover they are safe I'll have ruined the two cups I have haha. Could possibly do the "lemon slice against glaze surface" test on the outside lower part of one of the cups without ruining it too badly.
Questionable cups:

Ended up ordering a new pair of cups glazed in a different fashion. Timing might be dumb due to quarantines and the whole of Norway currently shutting down, but who knows. I'll probably get them in the end... Lots of beautiful, high quality stuff on taobao.
New cups:

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 13, 2020