Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Oh he didn’t go straight in with the Kratman/Ringo collab featuring rejuvenated SS defending the weak modern Germany from ravenous aliens? And also a group of Jewish SS somehow

This sounds hysterically terrible. I hope it's on Audible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

MRE Chat

I have the Jalapeno Curry Beef with Potatoes or Beef Stew what should I have for dinner?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Beef Stew with lots of hot sauce is serviceable. It’s not good, but it’s not as bad as a veggie omelette.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I always crunched up the cracker into it to thicken it up and it was tasty.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/sgtjoesmoe/status/1229722745551904771

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/sgtjoesmoe/status/1229886300833976320

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did those folks think Sweden is in NATO too?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Well, since we aren't in the NATO there is a kind of a desire too keep a defence force strong enough to be an inconvenience in case something goes down.
And speaking of idiots, during the Occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 the commander of a Finnish coastal fort was informed of 63 ships approaching from Kronstadt. He was given a wink-wink-nudge-nudge order not to put the four 152mm coastal guns in his battery ready to fire. As some of the conscripts of the fort were on a weekend leave he had the wives of the garrisons permanent members help carry ammunition to the guns (at 50 kilograms each) and was prepared to open fire when the squadron changed course and sailed away. On a separate occasion in the same year the Finnish president was on a visit to a Soviet destroyer which kept approaching too close to an another Finnish fort and the commander there gave orders to prepare his guns for action. The visit had been agreed beforehand, but no-one had told the commander of the fort. The message did reach him in time to stop him from giving the order to fire, but that was an another case of information being held up in wrong places.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just join the GDI already ya wimps.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I went with Beef stew. Instead of Tabasco I went with Red Devil hot sauce. More vinegar in Red Devil I swear Beef stew might be addictive. It is two steps better than Dinty More Goop. Anyone remember the awful Tuna thing. Blech

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
tuna with noodles usually got foisted off on the latest fng but man that thing was terrible

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Conversely, the straight-up tuna MRE (with the packets of Starkist tuna) are my favorite because it's impossible to gently caress up packaged tuna. I've never successfully been able to use the little tortillas without snapping them in half, so I just sprinkle tabasco and the flavor packet into the tuna pouch and use the broken tortillas to scoop it out like naan.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

No MRE that I've had has been worse than Country Captain Chicken.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
oh drat I thought that one was pretty good

it was like a breaded chicken wheel in curry-gravy, right?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I hate curry.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I will live and die by the Chicken Cavatelli

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
spaghetti with meat sauce or chili mac were my go-to ones.

country captain chicken was aggressively avoided

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Spaghetti is a Pro move. So is Ravioli. The old cheeseburger one was good, but I still miss some of the old ones from when I first came in- Jamaican Pork Chop wasn't great, but it was a nice change of pace. Beef Stew, Beef Frankfurters were good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

The Frankfurters would like to have a word with you.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

CainFortea posted:

The Frankfurters would like to have a word with you.

How on Earth do they screw up Frankfurters?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

How on Earth do they screw up Frankfurters?

We used to call them The Four Fingers Of Death.

You would have to guzzle at least one canteen of water per Frankenfurter. I am trying to think of something that has a similar consistency, but I am totally unable to come up with anything that matches even close.

Imagine if Play Dough was 10 times as dense as it normally is, but not hardened. Now fill it with wood shavings and make it very salty. Sprinkle some bits of fat that are about as hard as tire rubber and small enough to get in between every single tooth in your mouth.

People would open their vegetarian meal going "at least I didn't get the four fingers"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Sometimes the froyo dispenser would be down on the messdecks and I wouldn't be able to have my post-watch root beer float ☹️

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Sometimes the froyo dispenser would be down on the messdecks and I wouldn't be able to have my post-watch root beer float ☹️

When the coffee would run out at night, I'd have to make a new pot or I wouldn't have any to mix with the hot chocolate mix. It would mess up my whole pre-watch routine!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Mongolian BBQ once a week.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I like the 4 fingers of death.
The only bad thing was it came with lovely Mexican Style Rice.

Chicken Teriyaki was decent.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
It's been nigh on 20 years and I can still taste the unheated canned veal hearts in cream sauce from the Danish ration packs. Ugh.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Menu F of the Combat Ration (One Man) was the best one we had. Beef Teriyaki and Vegetable Curry. The worst was G, Chili Con Carne and Lamb with Rosemary, because no oval office in Australia knows poo poo about dick when it comes to Chili, and the Lamb with Rosemary was always a gelatinous mess.

The pack came with two types of powdered drink, Beverage Powder (I) and Beverage Powder (II). You would never drink the first one unless your water supply was suspect, because it was flavoured water purification powder, and it tasted like vaguely-lemony blood.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I hate curry.

You poor thing.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I actually ate the four fingers of death aka hotdogs. I was backpacking and found a black garbage bag hanging in a tree. It had 3 very early MRE's in it. It was left over from a forest fire a few years ago where they helicoptered in some early MRE's to the wildland firefighters. I ate them. Free food I was poor as poo poo back then. Thanks Forest Service and the Military.

I have the flu and that is what compelled me to eat an MRE I had rattling around in my Death Valley kit. I did not want to cook. If you goons want to visit Death Valley NP contact me. I love that park. I can point you towards where to go depending on how much time you have to spend.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Conveniently, this just showed up on my YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YieLNwaI1uo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jambalaya was legit and the veggie bean burrito was surprisingly inoffensive once you got through the rubbery inner wrapper that they called a tortilla.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Jambalaya was ok every once in awhile, like Pasta with veggies.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Most of the Tomato based pasta's are OK if I use some Tabasco. Cheese Tortellini that is you. Spaghetti and Beef Stew are the ones that stand out throughout the years as great. I have not had many of the deserts lately because they are scarce but that really rich Brownie was good. Jalapeno cheese and the normal cheese is pretty good on saltines but what the hell is going on with the Bacon cheese. Bacon cheese is salty very salty.

The new sandwiches are not so great.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Just thinking about Pork with Rice in Barbecue Sauce gives me heartburn more than 25 years later. It also had this really strong awful smell which practically guaranteed some rear end in a top hat would open one up in a confined space like the back of a truck or something.

I think it came with Charms and loving Apple Jelly to make it suck even more. This was also when meals didn’t come with heaters.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

chitoryu12 posted:

Conveniently, this just showed up on my YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YieLNwaI1uo

Fallout LARP is great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

stinkypete posted:

but what the hell is going on with the Bacon cheese. Bacon cheese is salty very salty.

The new sandwiches are not so great.

My best guess without being able to actually find the ingredients list is that the bacon is like the bacon bits you find at the store- soy protein with artificial flavoring like liquid smoke. The cheap versions of those artificial flavorings can be absurdly salty, like ramen flavor packet level salty.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/sgtjanedoe/status/1231088866783719428?s=20

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bulletsponge13 posted:

Dehydrated Pork and Beef Patties...

I was in when that poo poo was first issued and if you didn't rehydrate the gently caress out of them, they would absorb every ounce of water in your body and never give it back. Also, I stand by my belief that the Chocolate Covered Brownie was a candle from Pier 1 that somehow snuck itself on to the menu.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That brownie was the best wax I ever ate, Crayola notwithstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The Marine jokes just write themselves, don't they?