Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wouldnt surprise me. monsters like him work best in the shadow. trumps screaming and tweets shine a light on every thing they do. barr probably wants to get out and go back to the shadows.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I find the idea that Barr actually is a man of virtue and principle who would quit in distaste and protest to be the most laughably stupid poo poo anyone has ever put in writing. Only reason a true believer like Barr is quitting is if he doesn't want to go down in the fallout of whatever poo poo he thinks is going to come along next. Semi-related, but I wonder how long it will be before someone traces payments to the trump foundation or inauguration or something else in trump's orbit back to the recent pardons, cuz there's zero chance trump spontaneously decided to do something for free.

probably soon. we are in another trump crisis "lull" now but its building up again with his various actions and tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

On one hand, Barr is the toadiest of toads and would never leave of his own volition, on the other that's exactly what I thought Bolton was.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1229895101746483201

It isnt any of the big names, they all did it by fox appearances.

quote:

For those who didn’t receive the Fox News treatment, it appears that in at least one case, cold hard cash did the talking. Paul Pogue, a construction company owner who pleaded guilty to underpaying his taxes by $473,000 and received three years probation, was issued a full pardon and clemency by the president.

According to FEC filings, Pogue’s family has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars in direct contributions and in-kind air travel to the Trump Victory Committee. Beginning in August 2019, Ben Pogue—CEO of Pogue Construction and son of Paul Pogue—and his wife Ashleigh made over $200,000 in contributions to the campaign.

In August alone, Ben Pogue donated $85,000 to Trump Victory while Ashleigh Pogue contributed $50,000 that month. The following month, Ben Pogue made an in-kind air travel contribution of $75,404.40. The couple also made several large donations to the Republican National Committee and each donated $5,600 to Donald Trump for President Inc.

On the day of their first donation to the Trump campaign, Ashleigh posted an Instagram photo of her and her husband posing with Donald Trump Jr. and his girlfriend, Kimberly Guilfoyle, at the Hamptons.

Prior to the Pogues’ sudden significant donating spree to Trump and the Republicans, the couple was not seen as big campaign spenders, having donated a few thousand dollars for Paul Ryan’s congressional campaign in 2017 and $5,400 for former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum’s 2016 Republican presidential run.

Notably, one of the advocates for Pogue’s clemency: Santorum, who is now a CNN contributor.

And did not know that Pirro is connected to Kerik, but of course she is.

quote:

The pro-Trump Fox News star, who brushed off Blagojevich’s crimes as “just practicing politics” in an April 2018 interview with Patti Blagojevich, has something of a sordid history with Kerik. Back in 2006, Pirro—who was then running as a Republican for New York attorney general—admitted she asked Kerik to bug her then-husband’s boat to see if he was having an affair after federal prosecutors began investigating whether she and Kerik illegally taped conversations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably soon. we are in another trump crisis "lull" now but its building up again with his various actions and tweets.

Again, the one (and perhaps only) upshot to the GOP outing themselves as craven traitorous shitbags that will defend anything a Republican politician does is that Trump now mistakenly thinks he's invincible. Sure he's probably protected from being impeached and removed, but that doesn't mean there aren't political consequences for, say, pardoning financial criminals just because the dunderheaded House Minority leader said he should.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

What the gently caress does Trump gain out of pardoning Blagojevich? Isn't he massively screwing over the Illinois GOP by doing this?

It's been yakked about gobs, but another simple bit to consider is that pardons and tariffs are some of the only things the poo poo smear can do with a swipe of a sharpie with unadulterated power. Pardons also give carte blanche to all his friends and neighbor grifters in Illinois and everywhere that all is well, trump on a trumpin on.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status...D681%23lastpost

Yep, even simpler.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 19, 2020

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Current unaffiliated voter tax:

https://i.imgur.com/UgcfzA9.mp4

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bugsy posted:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1229895101746483201

It isnt any of the big names, they all did it by fox appearances.

And did not know that Pirro is connected to Kerik, but of course she is.

And it's important to remember the final link: A very significant portion of Trump campaign contributions end up in his own pocket via spending at his properties and businesses. Plus, you know, probably straight into his pocket.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
That Onion snippet is from seven months ago.
Not sure if that makes it even funnier, or just sadder.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
John Oliver actually had a good episode on M4A:

https://youtu.be/7Z2XRg3dy9k

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Otteration posted:

It's been yakked about gobs, but another simple bit to consider is that pardons and tariffs are some of the only things the poo poo smear can do with a swipe of a sharpie with unadulterated power. Pardons also give carte blanche to all his friends and neighbor grifters in Illinois and everywhere that all is well, trump on a trumpin on.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status...D681%23lastpost

Yep, even simpler.

Papal Indulgences are back, in a bigly way

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Trump is the re-incarnation of Andrew Jackson, with only the negative qualities.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 19, 2020

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Angry_Ed posted:

I will probably laugh for an entire day if this uplifted frog man quits because Donald Trump made it difficult for him to cover up Donald Trump's crimes.

A competent opposition party would be doing everything they can to drive a wedge between Trump and Barr. Of course a competent opposition party would not have voted to confirm him either.

Barr leaked this to tell Trump "seriously, shut the gently caress up."
Which probably means Barr isn't as smart as I was giving credit for. Or maybe he's arrogant enough to think "I, William Barr, will be the genius that finally gets Trump to shut up and go along with the plan."

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1229801897948860416?s=19

Breaking news: Trump pardons criminal convicted of corruption.

um... isn't he on Notre Dame's board of trustees? Name's familiar in those circles, anyhow... Like, Debartelo Hall on campus there. I believe I've met the man.

<quick google> yeah, dude's name is on multiple buildings on Notre Dame campus. Remember, Reagan got a good chunk of Catholics to swing Republican, bein' The Gipper and pushing for 'family values' poison (say no to drugs, abortion is murder, etc). And Notre Dame is adacent to South Bend, Indiana. And the first debate of the general is going to be at Notre Dame - in Debartelo Hall.

e- those catholic Reagan Democrats' intellectual decendents are a population Mayor Pete is deliberately aiming to draw upon. There's billionaires among 'em, I met a few myself, working the front desk of The Morris Inn for a decade.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I never really understood how much South Bend influenced the politics of our day until I started delving into South Bend history. Did you know that in 2015, the population of South Bend increased by 286, the largest one-year growth in over 20 years? Who was responsible for that? You guessed it. Pete Buttigieg.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I used to overnight in south bend once in a while, it is a surprisingly okay place for being an also ran metropolitan area in an also ran state.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/dabeard/status/1229970854022434818

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Trump is the re-incarnation of Andrew Jackson, with only the negative qualities.

He seems more like a Rodrigo Borgia (Pope Alexander VI) to me. Ivanka is Lucrezia.

Now, which of his sons has the guts to be the reference picture for all modern paintings of Jesus?

Edit: I wasn't the first to see those parallels.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 19, 2020

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Uglycat posted:

um... isn't he on Notre Dame's board of trustees? Name's familiar in those circles, anyhow... Like, Debartelo Hall on campus there. I believe I've met the man.

<quick google> yeah, dude's name is on multiple buildings on Notre Dame campus. Remember, Reagan got a good chunk of Catholics to swing Republican, bein' The Gipper and pushing for 'family values' poison (say no to drugs, abortion is murder, etc). And Notre Dame is adacent to South Bend, Indiana. And the first debate of the general is going to be at Notre Dame - in Debartelo Hall.

e- those catholic Reagan Democrats' intellectual decendents are a population Mayor Pete is deliberately aiming to draw upon. There's billionaires among 'em, I met a few myself, working the front desk of The Morris Inn for a decade.
can you quit making everything about you good loving god

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

He seems more like a Rodrigo Borgia (Pope Alexander VI) to me. Ivanka is Lucrezia.

Now, which of his sons has the guts to be the reference picture for all modern paintings of Jesus?

Don Jr. has the right level of high profile dipshittery to be Cesare. Eric is Juan, equally big of a fuckup but utterly forgotten by history.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

can you quit making everything about you good loving god

Actually please don't because "Standing Rock changed my life and now I live on an activist Hippy Bus" is insanely funny to me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

nine-gear crow posted:

Don Jr. has the right level of high profile dipshittery to be Cesare. Eric is Juan, equally big of a fuckup but utterly forgotten by history.

Someone Photoshop Don Jr.s face on a bunch of renesaince paintings. TIA.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/18/fix-primaries-let-elites-decide/

quote:

It’s time to give the elites a bigger say in choosing the president

Expect to see a lot more of this if Bernie keeps winning

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

As someone who studies democratic governance models: lmfao.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

is this the first time where a previous host of the WHCD came back to do it again?

also, yesh. hasan rules. his show has some weird editing, but it's overall good stuff.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Crumbskull posted:

As someone who studies democratic governance models: lmfao.

Do you have any insight on why so much of political science as an academic field seems to just be Democracy Was A Mistake, and naked boosterism for centrist Democrats? That’s what it seems like as an outside observer. Some sort of article analyzing the field and its history and development would be fascinating

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

icantfindaname posted:

Do you have any insight on why so much of political science as an academic field seems to just be Democracy Was A Mistake, and naked boosterism for centrist Democrats? That’s what it seems like as an outside observer. Some sort of article analyzing the field and its history and development would be fascinating

Most academic fields allocate grant funding, despite claims by Republicans, via politically unbiased reviewers and career professional program managers looking for real measurable physical phenomenon. This is not the case in political science.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

This has to be the worst endorsement of Preferential Voting that I have ever seen. Just, holy gently caress, saying it out loud these days.

The WaPo posted:

It’s time to give the elites a bigger say in choosing the president

Julia Azari is an associate professor and assistant chair in the Department of Political Science at Marquette University. This is the third op-ed in a series about how to improve the presidential nominating process.

Only a fraction of the Democratic primary electorate has voted so far, but the nomination season is off to a rocky start. Independent Bernie Sanders seems to be leading in popular votes, while upstart Pete Buttigieg is ahead in the delegate count. And there’s also the question of whether either one — or any of the other candidates — can bring the party together moving forward.

The current process is clearly flawed, but what would be better? Finding an answer means thinking about the purpose of presidential nominations, and about how the existing system falls short. It will require swimming against the tide of how we’ve thought about nominations for decades — as a contest between everyday voters and elites, or as a smaller version of a general election. A better primary system would empower elites to bargain and make decisions, instructed by voters.

One lesson from the 2020 and 2016 election cycles is that a lot of candidates, many of whom are highly qualified and attract substantial followings, will inevitably enter the race. The system as it works now — with a long informal primary, lots of attention to early contests and sequential primary season that unfolds over several months — is great at testing candidates to see whether they have the skills to run for president. What it’s not great at is choosing among the many candidates who clear that bar, or bringing their different ideological factions together, or reconciling competing priorities. A process in which intermediate representatives — elected delegates who understand the priorities of their constituents — can bargain without being bound to specific candidates might actually produce nominees that better reflect what voters want.

A nomination contest is not like a general election. They aren’t being fought to win, but to go on to November. But the kinds of processes that we associate with more open and high-quality democracy may not actually help parties produce nominees that really reflect the party’s overall concerns. Democracy thrives on uncertainty — outcomes that are not known at the beginning of the process. But uncertainty doesn’t help parties strategize for the general election.

The reforms that created the modern primary system in the 1970s opened the door to too much uncertainty — and to divisive nominees such as George McGovern in 1972. This spurred efforts by party leaders to take control informally through a system of endorsements and donations, narrowing the field down to acceptable candidates before the first caucuses and primaries took place. What’s emerged since then is a process that’s incredibly complicated. Different states jockey for influence in the official primary. Candidates strategize about delegate counts. Elites try to shape the decision early on. Everyone is doing guesswork about what others want. Reforms to the process should try to make that guessing a bit more informed.

Some critiques point to nominees such as Donald Trump — lacking in conventional qualifications and appreciation for democratic norms — as proof that nominations shouldn’t be too democratic. But the same system, more or less, produced candidates such as Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. The quality of the system can’t be measured solely in terms of the kinds of nominees it produces. Instead, we should think about how it reflects the preference and values of the different components of the party coalition.

For decades, the conversation about nominations has been about the conflicts between party elites and everyone else. Today, that conversation is counterproductive. A better approach is to think about how voters and elites could best play their different roles: to make their political parties more representative while ultimately narrowing the nomination choice down to one person. And the best way to do that would be through preference primaries.

Preference primaries could allow voters to rank their choices among candidates, as well as to register opinions about their issue priorities — like an exit poll, but more formal and with all the voters. The results would be public but not binding; a way to inform elites about voter preferences.

This process could accompany a primary of the sort we’re used to — in which voters’ first choices instruct the delegates, and preferences come into play only if there’s no clear winner. The primaries could also be held in combination with elections for convention delegates so that these representatives are informed by their constituents’ preferences. This would also help voters hold these delegates accountable in the future. The point is to build a way for party elites to understand what their base is thinking, and to allow them to bargain so that these different preferences and priorities can be balanced.

This might sound labor-intensive and a little risky, but the process is already lengthy and expensive. Candidates jockey for endorsements and donations for months leading up to the first contests. Why not invest some resources in finding out what voters really think, and then allow party delegates to figure out how those opinions can translate into a winning ticket?

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 19, 2020

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

icantfindaname posted:

Its similar to economics insofar as its basically a fake discipline that serves as a post hoc rationalization for ideologically based decision making, and similar to economics the ideology being justified is the one dumping money into the field.

I should be clear though, I'm a co-op developer so I study like enterprise, community and federational governance systems and don't spend a ton of my time on e.g. US civil democracy because its prima facie so idiotic and undemocratic that what would be the point. You can't have meaningful civic democracy without economic democracy in my opinion.

Crumbskull fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 19, 2020

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

John Oliver actually had a good episode on M4A:

https://youtu.be/7Z2XRg3dy9k

I did like this episode. I have to ask though... are his episodes normally bad? :raise:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Edit: I wasn't the first to see those parallels.

Hopefully the comparison there does not predict future events. While i'd probably enjoy seeing the Trump family fall apart after the shitstain dies, having his corruption ultimately lead to a permanent division of the US and centuries of conflict would not be an optimal outcome. :ohdear:

Yureina fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 19, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Yureina posted:

I did like this episode. I have to ask though... are his episodes normally bad? :raise:

His researchers are good, and his jokewriters are awful, just dogshit. So you get some decently informative material (albeit at a necessarily superficial and abbreviated level), mixed in with appalling cringe jokes about Susan from HR.

It depends what percentage of rat poo poo you can tolerate in your hamburger

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Failed Imagineer posted:

His researchers are good, and his jokewriters are awful, just dogshit. So you get some decently informative material (albeit at a necessarily superficial and abbreviated level), mixed in with appalling cringe jokes about Susan from HR.

Apparently I can tolerate alot of rat poo poo then. :stare:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

his jokes are a lot like painting your pet walrus, randy the lakers colors. seems like a good idea at the time, but it brings up a LOT of questions down the road

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING SUSAN HUH? YOU'RE A MONSTER. A MONSTER I SAY

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr Interweb posted:

his jokes are a lot like painting your pet walrus, randy the lakers colors. seems like a good idea at the time, but it brings up a LOT of questions down the road

Oh God I can hear it. poo poo sucks, man.

Don't mean to yuck anyone elses yum though. I mean, I still watch John Oliver about half the time, and I think the show is a net positive, and comedy is subjective. I just have to watch it with gritted teeth and a clenched butthole

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yureina posted:

Hopefully the comparison there does not predict future events. While i'd probably enjoy seeing the Trump family fall apart after the shitstain dies, having his corruption ultimately lead to a permanent division of the US and centuries of conflict would not be an optimal outcome. :ohdear:

I'm hoping that it at least we get to see an Italian in a white hoodie beat the crap out of Trump inside the Vatican.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh god, yeah. His rhythm is so loving predictable.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh god, yeah. His rhythm is so loving predictable.

If you want me to be more polite Steve than wash your loving dishes. Don't leave them in the sink like your a lazy aardvark cause Grayson the aardvark in accounting doesn't tolerate that poo poo. Don't piss of Grayson, Steve. Don't loving do it. Wash your loving dishes.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm hoping that it at least we get to see an Italian in a white hoodie beat the crap out of Trump inside the Vatican.

If we got history as depicted by Assassin's Creed, then that would also mean the shitstain would get murdered by Don Jr. :stare:

It would make for some interesting news days at least.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mr Interweb posted:

uncanny

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Literally “the people are too stupid to know what they want, let me and the elite handle it from now on” right under “Democracy Dies in Darkness”. Holy poo poo, this is rancid.

This just cemented me canceling my subscription today. gently caress this poo poo, I’m not supporting a rag pushing fascist garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

It is truly amazing how many people physically cannot handle thinking that their ancestors from three hundred years ago were not perfect saints. Don't you want to believe in self improvement? That you are living a better life in a better world than people from back then?

I get it, self-improvement without money or sex in payment is weak and your parents are infallible, the conservative mantra. But christ, talk about a mindset that is one step away from suicidal ideation.

I don't know how old you are...so forgive me if you're over 35-ish, this ain't for you (hopefully)... but it's almost impossible to explain to someone who didn't come of age at least by the back half of the 1990's how utterly air tight and enforced the bullshit American Lore was to the in-group (white people) in this country. Remember recently as Watchmen dropped, how utterly baffled people were that they never knew about what happened in the Greenwood section of Tulsa? Yeah, that's the essence of The Thing in a nutshell. poo poo like that was utterly and completely hidden, I'm talking completely abstracted, away from the typical white person unless they were literally academically tasked with learning about it.

And up until about say... 2007-ish, you figure? About the point where Wikipedia went critical mass?...Getting information on those incidents took work. I remember back in my AP courses having to go to the Orlando central library to finish up research. One paper I actually had to go over to the University of Central Florida to finish out my citations because one literally could not get deep reads on historical events without doing so. Now that poo poo is one click away. We, as a society, had to put in real work to find out the truth of how this country came to be and why we are where we are today.

Now Imagine your typical white suburban-raised cultureless slob that would even write a series like this 1776 piece in response to documented American History. These people cannot reckon with the fact that this joint and their privilege was built upon a mountain of broken people, unfulfilled, unevenly enforced rules and outright malice. Even worse, these authors know that their main reader cohort is part of that group of white people that are in this reckoning process and are not going to read 1619 in the first place because they can't reckon with it.

This poo poo explains so much about us.

I hate to use a Rick and Morty reference, mainly because I don't watch the show, but I did see an episode that kinda sorta encapsulates the concept here (I'll spoiler the plot reveal): There was this beloved king that ended up being a child molesting dirtbag behind the scenes. After the arc of the story and what ultimately happens to the King, there's a scene where these priests (?) are standing there out at a clearing having found all the evidence of what the dude really was and they had a choice of telling the townsfolk or burning the evidence and allowing the people to live with the illusion. They burned the evidence.

The internet prevents white people from burning the evidence and...in a sort of grotesque sentiment...there's no misguided peasants trying to thoughtfully keep the peace because it's dirtbags almost all the way down.

Funny that, eh?

Or something like that.