Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Heather Papps posted:

i had an inkling

:woomy:

Theory: inklings are distant relatives of sandtrout. Both are apparent sea creatures that are killed by water and both are vital to their world's ecosystem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bubblyblubber posted:

I think Tolkien was just angry he didn't come up with Amam pussy magic first.

Good point! Tolkien is very interested in the distinction between magic and art. Elves don't do magic, and seem to be offended when humans or hobbits say that they do. Elves do art or craftsmanship (although, after a few thousand years of practice, they're really really good at it-- c.f. the Hobbits asking if elven cloaks are magic, and the dialogue around that.)
Sauron does magic; Tolkien wrote elsewhere that magic and technology are very closely related. Both are centred around control and power and the imposition of one's will- bulldozing in the literal and symbolic sense. And both feature a terrible price to pay, be it mental disintegration or pollution whatever. So yeah, the weirdo Dune stuff absolutely fits Tolkiens definition of "magic" in that it is being used to control another person; if it was done out of love for them and for beauty, it would begin to cross the line into "bene gesserit pussy art."

Heather Papps posted:

One Spice to rule them all, One Worm to find it, One planet to bring them all, and in the desert bind them

asasjdlkfjkjksaldf

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elves def do magic. Come on now.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The elves would be very offended to hear you say that. If, you know, they existed.

The Bloop posted:

:woomy:

Theory: inklings are distant relatives of sandtrout. Both are apparent sea creatures that are killed by water and both are vital to their world's ecosystem

To be really boring, the Inklings was a writer's club that Tolkien and C.S. Lewis and a few others belonged to.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The flood at the ford of Bruinen wasn’t really good craftsmanship or whatever.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Haha, fair enough. I wonder if the idea is "elves absolutely do magic, they're just kind of snobbish about it."

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
I always figured the elves just didn't make a distinction between "magical" and physical actions. They didn't cast spells, they just did things, and some of their actions were unavailable to humans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is what Gala’ says

‘Many things I can command the Mirror to reveal,’ she answered, ‘and to some I can show what they desire to see. But the Mirror will also show things unbidden, and those are often stranger and more profitable than things which we wish to behold. What you will see, if you leave the Mirror free to work, I cannot tell. For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it is that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell. Do you wish to look?’ Frodo did not answer. ‘And you?’ she said, turning to Sam. ‘For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel. Did you not say that you wished to see Elf-magic?’

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

winnydpu posted:

I always figured the elves just didn't make a distinction between "magical" and physical actions. They didn't cast spells, they just did things, and some of their actions were unavailable to humans.

Might be because I just smoked some melange, but did Tolkien like Clarke? The whole "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" quote seems to come into play here. The elves are just really, really good at art. Anyone on the outside is gonna say "wooo, magic!"

To put it in cruder terms: my cats probably think I am a high sorceress because I can make ghost prey available for them to chase with a click of my fingers (hint: it's a laser pointer)

My spray bottle is a killing word when they jump on the kitchen counter

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And how can this BEEE

For he is the Kitchen Counterach

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kiimo posted:

And how can this BEEE

For he is the Kitchen Counterach

MANY MACHINES ON IX. NEW MACHINES.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Might be because I just smoked some melange, but did Tolkien like Clarke? The whole "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" quote seems to come into play here. The elves are just really, really good at art. Anyone on the outside is gonna say "wooo, magic!"

To put it in cruder terms: my cats probably think I am a high sorceress because I can make ghost prey available for them to chase with a click of my fingers (hint: it's a laser pointer)

In the early drafts of the Silmarillion, Sauron took the place of a character called Thu... and Thu in turn had taken the place of a character called :siren: TEVILDO, PRINCE OF CATS :siren: . His power was the ability to control cats.
I will never, ever forgive Tolkien for taking Tevildo away from us.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lotr was written a long time before Clarke came up with that

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shaddak posted:

What do you get when you guzzle down spice?
Naming yourself after the jumping mice.
You know the ultimate meaning of life.
You must make jihad right now!

I get gom jabbared but i keep my hand in again
you're never gonna get me struck down

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tree Bucket posted:

In the early drafts of the Silmarillion, Sauron took the place of a character called Thu... and Thu in turn had taken the place of a character called :siren: TEVILDO, PRINCE OF CATS :siren: . His power was the ability to control cats.
I will never, ever forgive Tolkien for taking Tevildo away from us.

Worth mentioning that Tevildo, Prince of Cats was himself a giant cat

Pre-Hobbit Tolkien was loving nuts

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Correction: it owned

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also who put that collar on the cat.

magic.gif

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

magic.gif

Satan

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
This Tevildo business sounds like something out of Roverandom-era Tolkien

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

((Maiar in cat form))

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Cator Catorath

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
frodo distracting the eye of tevildo by shining a laser pointer near it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

((Maiar in cat form))

No Maiar yet, the Book of Lost Tales stuff divides the later Maiar between the gods’ children and random rear end spirits incl. mermaids, dryads, and giant cats

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also huge vampire bats and hell dogs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

And armored personnel carriers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cross over : the tolkien giant worms are the same as the dune worms

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

skasion posted:

And armored personnel carriers

Attack helicopters? (Boooooo! Boo this man!)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Phil Moscowitz posted:

magic.gif

The eagles.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yaffle posted:

The eagles.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

magic cactus posted:

frodo distracting the eye of tevildo by shining a laser pointer near it

please update the boromir catapult gif

euphronius posted:

Cross over : the tolkien giant worms are the same as the dune worms

Shai Halúvatar

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Honestly, Sauron's fundamental self-centredness, cruelty and desire for shiny things makes a lot more sense for a big ole cat.

kiimo posted:

Shai Halúvatar

Praise the Maker [of everything]

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tree Bucket posted:

Haha, fair enough. I wonder if the idea is "elves absolutely do magic, they're just kind of snobbish about it."

They aren't "tricks", dad. They're Illusions

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Sixty new posts in the Dune thread, wonder if the teaser finally dro- oh.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

sebmojo posted:

Lotr was written a long time before Clarke came up with that

oh, I know, I just was wondering if later in life he liked Clarke because he was all "yeah, this guy gets it!". Wasn't implying Clarke an influence or anything like that. That quote seemed to sum up the whole "are elves doing magic or art/science" debate nicely, so it sprang to mind.

I don't really know squat about Tolkien, so this discussion on his vs. Herbert's background/mentality/drive has been interesting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vlex posted:

Sixty new posts in the Dune thread, wonder if the teaser finally dro- oh.

they were good posts tho

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

One does not simply walk without rhythm

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

In sietch Tabr, in the stank of Tau Orgy, Naib Stilgar strained in secret, a monster loaf, bigger than all others. And out of this stool he extracted all moisture, all juices to evaporate them to support all life. One poo to hydrate all.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
It's taken me forever to finish all the Dune books (not gonna touch the Brian books for a while), kinda hard to take it all in when it's an audio book so, the ending to chapterhouse, what's up with the facedancers in the end? I get they absorbed so many peoples "identities" and became self-aware, but why were they in peoples visions?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Thread joke answer is "space brain magic"

Failson official lore answer is "space lord Cybertrex magic"

Actual answer is unclear, but Herbert seems to have already established that human consciousness transcends space time. Spice and innate abilities allow humans to see possible futures, Alia can bend time to make Paul hear her voice in the future/past, teg goes supersayan just by thinking about it, Duncan is so hunky and lived so many lives he can see no-ships and make ladies all warm and tingly just by climbing walls and poo poo.

It is by will alone, etc.

So it would not surprise me if his plans for the face dancers would have been as a foil to Duncan's humanity. Duncan lived many lives, the dancers absorbed many lives, if you put to much human in a single brain poo poo gets weird.

It sure is a shame Herbert died and no further material was ever written on the dune universe after chapterhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

they were good posts tho

Yeah they were I'm just jonesing for DUNC visuals and info