Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Something of note, people seem surprised when monsters act smart, which they mainly do when Goops is around. Goops also made the messed up phonecall to Kokoro about the incident. It is possible Goops was involved back then and was the one to direct it in there and hosed off once it got the primary targets. Of course, this is pure speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Twibbit posted:

Something of note, people seem surprised when monsters act smart, which they mainly do when Goops is around. Goops also made the messed up phonecall to Kokoro about the incident. It is possible Goops was involved back then and was the one to direct it in there and hosed off once it got the primary targets. Of course, this is pure speculation.
Yeah, I've considered that - I've also considered Kokoro being the real target of the attack if so, since she'd be an especially strong magical girl and it might be similar to the fixation on Undine, except we haven't really seen that Kokoro has been a target until she befriended Undine.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For what it's worth, the monsters only seem to be active 4 hours a night, from 10pm to 2 am. Obviously centered around midnight, and the darkest portions of the night. Given that most of the monsters are fear based, and darkness is a very common fear, this would tie into it.

No, it is not darkest before dawn, but it is coldest!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

iospace posted:

For what it's worth, the monsters only seem to be active 4 hours a night, from 10pm to 2 am. Obviously centered around midnight, and the darkest portions of the night. Given that most of the monsters are fear based, and darkness is a very common fear, this would tie into it.

No, it is not darkest before dawn, but it is coldest!
It's also when most people are asleep, presumably.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
My working theory is that monsters take something via contact from their victims and that makes them evolve; be it into "imperfect" beasts based on fears (We've seen animals, cartoon mascots and even bizzare poo poo like the MouthBurger) or "Perfect" sapiant humanoids like the The shivering child, who I think was in the corner like that because what it took of Kokoro's mom included her maternal instincts for Kokoro. or Goops, who took taking on the resentiment of magical girls / 'dine of her victim.

Not so much "Madoka" as more "Snatcher". These arn't the victims, they are mimicrys.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 16, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You folks finally forced me to read this comic 'cause y'all wouldn't stop talking about it. Plus I like Cagle from her English teaching comics.

Is the beam that took out the clone on the latest page from this girl Undine stood up for? (e: Zoe)

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 16, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You folks finally forced me to read this comic 'cause y'all wouldn't stop talking about it. Plus I like Cagle from her English teaching comics.

Is the beam that took out the clone on the latest page from this girl Undine stood up for? (e: Zoe)

Zoe's powers are shooting slingshot pellets that turn into metallic plants, she hasn't been shown to do lasers. Consensus speculation is that it's one of the other girls from the workout club, or possibly the one loner girl that works out on her own that was warning Undine about Cassidy.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I also just binged all of Sleepless Domain because this thread wouldn't shut up about it and I'm pretty sure that beam is from Bud, right? Someone previously mentioned her powers were laser-y and the 'yo' is in her speech colour.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Straight White Shark posted:

Zoe's powers are shooting slingshot pellets that turn into metallic plants, she hasn't been shown to do lasers. Consensus speculation is that it's one of the other girls from the workout club, or possibly the one loner girl that works out on her own that was warning Undine about Cassidy.

floofyscorp posted:

I also just binged all of Sleepless Domain because this thread wouldn't shut up about it and I'm pretty sure that beam is from Bud, right? Someone previously mentioned her powers were laser-y and the 'yo' is in her speech colour.

Hadn't gotten to Bud yet, definitely seems like it's her then yeah.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Hah, I was ALSO one of the people who started reading SD because this thread wouldn't shut up about it, and now I haven't shut up about it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
From Mary Cagle's Patreon:

I know there's been some confusion over how close Bud came to headshotting both Cassidies here, so I'll say I didn't intend for it to look like she Almost Got Both @__@;; I promise she knew she'd only hit the one!!

(I hope it's fine to post just this, I can remove it in case it's not.)

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mikl posted:

I know there's been some confusion over how close Bud came to headshotting both Cassidies here, so I'll say I didn't intend for it to look like she Almost Got Both @__@;; I promise she knew she'd only hit the one!!
a likely story

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's gotta be Not A Coincidence how much goops looks like monster-drained people, right?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MikeJF posted:

It's gotta be Not A Coincidence how much goops looks like monster-drained people, right?

You know, you're right. Maybe the goop monster is made out of that stuff that comes out of the orifices of people who died to monster attacks? That may be why she can guide them around and whatnot.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Alright, add me to the list of people who just binge-read Sleepless Domain because this thread wouldn't stop talking about it. I don't really have any interesting insights to add, though.

Regarding the monsters, it's notable that they can end up thematic on a night-to-night basis. Like when the barrier was toybox-themed, how the monsters resembled dolls and marionettes, and how Rue came in injured by some teady bear lookin' monster.

Anyway, one minor thing that's been bugging me since the beginning: what's the reasoning behind Gwen's name? The rest of Team Alchemical is easy enough to figure out: Undine, Sally(mander), Syl(ph)via, (quin)Tessa(ence)... but how did Gwen's name fit in?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gnome, I think.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

She's named after the gwenna firma we all live on, Planet Gwen.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Probably a stretch.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Last Visible Dog posted:

Anyway, one minor thing that's been bugging me since the beginning: what's the reasoning behind Gwen's name? The rest of Team Alchemical is easy enough to figure out: Undine, Sally(mander), Syl(ph)via, (quin)Tessa(ence)... but how did Gwen's name fit in?
Hmmm...Morita can apparently mean 'rice paddy near a forest', but it's not like her element is really plants unless she's mixing it with Undine, and I think her name is supposed to be more hispanic than japanese. I got nothing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Gnome, I think.

With Undine, Sylph, and Salamander, it'd be the logical choice. Either that or she's a combo breaker.

Gotta admit there aren't many names that kinda sound like "Gnome". Noemi/Naomi, perhaps, thanks to thee silent g.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Maybe her mom was out of the loop on naming all their children after alchemical elements.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Never Satisfied: :suspense:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Maybe her mom was out of the loop on naming all their children after alchemical elements.
Turns out there's a girl in their old middle school class named Naomi Hardrock who was supposed to be called up as the fourth ranger but everyone liked Gwen better instead.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

PetraCore posted:

Turns out there's a girl in their old middle school class named Naomi Hardrock who was supposed to be called up as the fourth ranger but everyone liked Gwen better instead.

How could you not? She's just so chill.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, okay. I can accept this explanation.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Julius CSAR posted:

How could you not have? She was just so down to earth.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For some reason I remember Sleepless Domain having a different name in the first chapter and a half, before it became clear that the comic wasn't all cute magical girl adventures?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

For some reason I remember Sleepless Domain having a different name in the first chapter and a half, before it became clear that the comic wasn't all cute magical girl adventures?

Nope, the very first page has Sleepless Domain written on it, and that's in the old artist's style so you can tell Mary didn't add it later.

I'd have remembered if that were the case anyway. I certainly remember reading it from pretty close to the beginning. Back then I was worried it was taking a few too many pages from Madoka's book, but it's certainly grown on me a lot since!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tenebrais posted:

Nope, the very first page has Sleepless Domain written on it, and that's in the old artist's style so you can tell Mary didn't add it later.

I'd have remembered if that were the case anyway. I certainly remember reading it from pretty close to the beginning. Back then I was worried it was taking a few too many pages from Madoka's book, but it's certainly grown on me a lot since!

I don't know why I remember it like that maybe there was another webcomic around the time that did that and I got some nodes crossed.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't know why I remember it like that maybe there was another webcomic around the time that did that and I got some nodes crossed.

If I remember right, back when the comic was in development but before it started getting posted, the project was called Umbra Rising. There was a similar comic in development with Umbra in the name and a white haired main character. There was drama, Umbra Rising was changed to Sleepless Domain, and Tessa got pink hair.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Good move, the pink is a lot more madoka striking

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Sleepless Domain is a much more memorable comic name, too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

Sleepless Domain is a much more memorable comic name, too.
Also it's funnier because yeah, god, these girls don't have a lot of free time.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm really learning a lot about deft worldbuilding by reading sd. just the way the writer throws all this ridiculous floofy bullshit at you in the first chapter and you're like "oh come on", but then it's so internally consistent and narratively gripping that disbelief is suspended and even the most cynical among us must embrace the moe

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a total team kill is always a good hook, too

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Best guess is that Bud (being the in-the-know type she is) and Vedika (given her emotional powers and knowlege of Undine) had an idea what was going on and decided to train together in case Cass pulled some really dumb poo poo like a dumb teenager would, and wanted to be on hand if things got too crazy.

The tipping point was Cass outright stating 'You don't belong here' to a girl with survivors guilt who was just making new friends, and who HP miiiight have a bit of an obvious thing for. So, to support both friends, they decided Cass had enough fun. Enter Funnel Laser to the dome, and most likely a very stern talking to, to help get someone back on track and out of Mean Girl mode.

Then again, Bud's expression of being absolutely done with this poo poo, plus having open eyes for what I think is the first time in the comic, may point to her deciding to step in on this sparring session. Or, hey, she also might want answers and just isn't a complete jerk about it and will just ask nicely, who knows.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
calling it now, bud and zoe are a theme team

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm a bud stan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009