Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Awesome, I have a bottle of dry sherry that I need to use up and I'd completely forgotten about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm trying to be better about having everything ready when I start cooking a dish instead of rushing to do everything in the 2 minutes between steps. This massively increases the dish load, though, as I have to use huge bowls and things for a tablespoon of stuff. I only have 2-3 bowls from a large pyrex mixing bowl nesting set and they go real fast. Is there any good deal on just getting a bunch of small glass bowls in the 1 tablespoon - 1 cup size? I can't seem to find anything immediately in the pile of nesting sets.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Get a pile of 8 or 16 oz delitainers. They're cheap, they stack, and if they get broken or irreversibly stained, you can just toss em.

Plus, they're good for storing leftovers and if you forget about it for 7 months in the back of the fridge, you're only out like 50 cents when you toss it instead of try cleaning it out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^those are a great idea, i also like using small glass ramekins for prep (and serving)

https://www.amazon.com/Lawei-Set-Glass-Bowls-Transparent/dp/B07PP2PVDH/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BraveUlysses posted:

^those are a great idea, i also like using small glass ramekins for prep (and serving)

https://www.amazon.com/Lawei-Set-Glass-Bowls-Transparent/dp/B07PP2PVDH/

Seconding this.

I have a thing of nesting plastic bowls from like 4 qts down to 1qt or so and I use those for my bigger veggies etc and then I have tons of the little glass ramekins for like chopped garlic, chopped parsley / green onions, spices that need to get bloomed midway through cooking etc.

When I hit the gas I have each of them already lined up in order of use on the side by my stovetop. Since the bowls and containers more or less nest together I just pop some soap into one and let water flow over it into the next containers and they all kinda just soak while I go. Once the dish is in some long cook or rest step I wash those out and put them in the drying rack (or dump all into the dishwasher) and take a minute to wash my knife and cutting board and put away.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mise for chopping, peeling, etc only when I know things go fast, but for spices or liquid measures I set them out in their normal containers. gently caress measuring a tsp of something beforehand.

Also I recommend a loving big chopping board so you can just stage things on there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I accidentally bought a full sheet sized cutting board and rather than returning it I just adopted it as a huge staging area for all kinds of things.

You can usually find those Pyrex ramekins at goodwill for a buck or so. I have a bunch of them from my wedding years ago and we amassed 20-30 of them just browsing over a summer.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Nephzinho posted:

I'm trying to be better about having everything ready when I start cooking a dish instead of rushing to do everything in the 2 minutes between steps. This massively increases the dish load, though, as I have to use huge bowls and things for a tablespoon of stuff. I only have 2-3 bowls from a large pyrex mixing bowl nesting set and they go real fast. Is there any good deal on just getting a bunch of small glass bowls in the 1 tablespoon - 1 cup size? I can't seem to find anything immediately in the pile of nesting sets.

If you have a restaurant supply place near you, you can get stainless steel ketchup ramekins that hold like 1/4cup for like $1 each, and small stainless steel bowls of whatever size you want for a couple bucks each. Both perfectly nest.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Also, if you have an Asian grocery store nearby plastic rice bowls work too and are super cheap. I original bought them to be actual bowls but they get pressed into service during mise more often than not. They take up a little more room than the ramekins people have pointed to but it all depends on what you have access to.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dollar store for smaller stainless bowls as well.
They(dollar tree here) also have these containers that are like delitainers but the lid screws on they come in a 2 pack for the qt sized ones.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I've always used stuff out of the cupboard like coffee cups and shot glasses. I should probably pick up something proper, but hey it works :v:

"Should I eat this" question: does unwrapping a package of meat impact the use by date? I bought chicken legs on the 13th, cooked half that night and intended to use the rest over the next day or two but didn't. Today is the 17th, which feels like a long time for raw meat to be hanging out in the fridge, but the sell by date on the package is the 20th. They've been tightly wrapped and look and smell fine, but a cursory search says to use raw poultry within 1-2 days

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably fine. As always, give them a sniff. If your brain reacts violently negatively, toss them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

flesh dance posted:

I've always used stuff out of the cupboard like coffee cups and shot glasses. I should probably pick up something proper, but hey it works :v:

"Should I eat this" question: does unwrapping a package of meat impact the use by date? I bought chicken legs on the 13th, cooked half that night and intended to use the rest over the next day or two but didn't. Today is the 17th, which feels like a long time for raw meat to be hanging out in the fridge, but the sell by date on the package is the 20th. They've been tightly wrapped and look and smell fine, but a cursory search says to use raw poultry within 1-2 days

Sniff test territory there imo

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

In that department they're 100% fine, going to use them without worry. I'm normally good about getting stuff like this used or frozen in a timely manner, but occasionally it gets away from me

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can you marinate ground pork or is that a dumb thing that no one does?

This is for pork fried rice.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I don't see why you'd do it, you'll get full penetration instantly anyhow and any salt will turn it into rubber

E: General Questions thread: sniff check your meat

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 18, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Can you marinate ground pork or is that a dumb thing that no one does?

This is for pork fried rice.

You can certainly mix some flavourings into it like some soy, shaoxing, oyster etc, but no need to leave it to marinate. Just mix in and then cook it.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Grilled corn on the cob tips?
Husk on, off, or all wrapped in foil? Soak in water beforehand or no? Butter during grilling or after?

I bought 15 cobs, so I'm going to try all these variations, but I'm curious to get some opinions.

Of course, these will all get crema Mexicana, Tajin, and cotija after grilling.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just put them straight on the grill with the husk, nothing else. The husk will protect them well enough, they might get a little blackened but as long as it's not full on burning that's a positive. Always tastes amazing, I don't bother with butter. Maybe a sprinkling of salt if I'm feeling fancy, but honestly just grilled in the husk tastes so good you don't have to do anything else.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

I just put them straight on the grill with the husk, nothing else. The husk will protect them well enough, they might get a little blackened but as long as it's not full on burning that's a positive. Always tastes amazing, I don't bother with butter. Maybe a sprinkling of salt if I'm feeling fancy, but honestly just grilled in the husk tastes so good you don't have to do anything else.
It's true that just plain grilled corn owns, but I definitely do not turn away elote: 1:1:2 mayo, crema, and crumbled cotija, with chili powder, minced garlic, and cilantro to taste, with a lime wedge on the side.

Professor Oak
Jun 8, 2010
I have recently uncovered an unconventional way of preparing a few different kinds of meat, but the way the goat was prepared stuck with me. Would it be out of line to consider an unconventional meat preparation thread, or is that something needed inside a smaller area such as this?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Any idea what the ideal ratio of chia seeds to *insert liquid of choice* is for a decent/plain chia pudding? Just using it as an extra topping for yogurt and I eyeballed it with POM and I do not think I measured correctly. I suppose I can strain it but I’m wondering what the ratio I should be aiming for is, especially with something less forgiving like matcha or something

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there any hope for cleaning these pots? Somebody left stuff on the stove and turned on the wrong eye twice in about a week.

Both basic stainless steel cuisinart so not a huge loss but I hate to throw away if it can be salvaged.

Soup remnants and a melted ladle of unknown plastic material. Worried about residue from the ladle as it may have been inherited from a very old kitchen sometime in the past. I'm sure the soup stuff can be cleaned but can I trust the pot afterwards?

Heated on high for 30-60 minutes with nothing in it. It has never had a coating so I don't know what the black stuff even is. Maybe hot enough to rust stainless steel?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
washing soda (sodium carbonate) + hot water might work. Maybe need to scrub with steel wool as well.

e: I also read someone claim baking soda would work (sodium bicarbonate), moisten the surface and pour it on and leave it for a while (unknown how long exactly). No idea if that will work.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 19, 2020

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
You might be able to attack the melted plastic with a paste of equal parts baking soda and coconut oil - spread it thickly, leave it for 24 hours, and see if it lifts. It might take several iterations to get it all.

The oil attacks the plasticizers, and the combination is basically a non-toxic (or at least much less toxic) version of Goo Gone. It can't hurt.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Open the windows, turn a fan on and toss it in an oven cleaning cycle maybe?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
barkeepers

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Barkeeper's Friend and steel wool scrubby. Just take that first micro layer off completely to be safe.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

effika posted:

Barkeeper's Friend and steel wool scrubby. Just take that first micro layer off completely to be safe.

Second this.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Professor Oak posted:

I have recently uncovered an unconventional way of preparing a few different kinds of meat, but the way the goat was prepared stuck with me. Would it be out of line to consider an unconventional meat preparation thread, or is that something needed inside a smaller area such as this?

Hold up what is unconventional about it? Where does it fall outside of the usual "Dispatch animal, clean and heat until safe to eat"?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Something tells me it involves Mark Zuckerberg.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Something tells me it involves Mark Zuckerberg.

op ‘discovered’ high meat

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I checked back a couple of pages of threads and couldn't find anything relevant, and making a new thread seems wasteful, so I'm curious - could anyone suggest some good, bulk recipes for someone cooking for about 4 people on a daily basis? Cheap meals definitely help, but mainly just something to shake up the usual mac+cheese, fried rice, beans, spaghetti, tikka, and naan that we've been having for a few months now.

I feel like I'm a week or two away from being killed with a bulk size can of crushed tomatoes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Some sort of rice and bean situation, or a brothy soup like kimchi jjigae that can be stretched even further with a side of rice, or a cold noodle dish like japchae that you can really load up with lots of veg.

There's also a lot of homestyle dishes that are variations of braising a protein, be it meat, tofu, shrooms or whatever in a soy based sauce and adding whatever other veg you have in the fridge.

If you're omnivores, roasting up something like a pork shoulder or chuck roast and then portioning it out for a couple different dishes throughout the week, ie topping a salad or filling tacos and lettuce wraps or mixing into a broth or some noods is great too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gumbo
Various pies i.e. Sheppard or pot
Potato and ___ soup
au gratin potatoes
enchiladas (at least white people baked ones)
lasagna
thai curry with store-bought paste
half-sheet pizzas aka grandma pizzas

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 19, 2020

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I'll add my usual lasagna suggestion, or chili or stew, or make them do the work and you lay out the ingredients then have a fix-your-own tacos night.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Should I be refrigerating the bottle of sherry I just opened?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Should I be refrigerating the bottle of sherry I just opened?

Technically yes, though I only do in the summer when my apartment is an oven.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yes, but only because it's nicer to drink it cold and putting ice in it is weird. If you're just using it for cooking then do whatever, it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

prayer group posted:

Yes, but only because it's nicer to drink it cold and putting ice in it is weird. If you're just using it for cooking then do whatever, it'll be fine.

Actually it depends on the type. I wouldn't refrigerate cream sherry or oloroso.