Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
If you want a general idea of things that are easily missed or better clarification, the BGG forums setup a pretty good FAQ here

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1LoxeYzEQ0HIkf3_aSi1qOTWbBdZ6_j1_3zkJBNm0EcY/mobilebasic#h.vlljzgh5ibgz

Covers a lot of stuff that’s sometimes easy to forget (for example, you have to choose to defend before boosting, not after. My friend forgets this sometimes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’d have someone play Ms. Marvel justice and just thwart. If they can get Shrink out quick, they should be able to easily take care of stuff with Sneak By and For Justice and use her hero ability to put events back in their hand.

That would sadly require having a copy of Ms. Marvel. I don't know what's up with FFG's distribution these days but it's really bad. I have her deck coming, according to Amazon, sometime between February and April.

Edit: Could easily be Alliance too, now that I think about it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dawgstar posted:

That would sadly require having a copy of Ms. Marvel. I don't know what's up with FFG's distribution these days but it's really bad. I have her deck coming, according to Amazon, sometime between February and April.

It's probably FFG. I just got the Green Goblin pack last week, I assume they'll restock the other ones when it happens.

Every FFG game encounters massive delays, it's just what they do.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Covenant guys seem to think end of February is when the reprints will start hitting shelves

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Ms.Marvel and Green Goblin packs are both in stock on the barnes and noble website. I got my copies from there last week.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

Covenant guys seem to think end of February is when the reprints will start hitting shelves

Scoop it up fast, because the next reprint is probably a long way away.

Everything China gets slowed down severely during Lunar New Year holidays. It's going to be much worse with the coronavirus epidemic.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would strongly suggest snatching up Ms Marvel anywhere you can because she’s a really awesome hero with some interesting cards that help a ton, especially with 3 or 4 people

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suddenly Susan posted:

Ms.Marvel and Green Goblin packs are both in stock on the barnes and noble website. I got my copies from there last week.

Thanks for the tip! They're headed my way now. (Cap is still out, unfortunately.)

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Dawgstar posted:

In the UK Asmodee have essentially halved pre-orders. As in they knew how many copies stores have ordered, they knew how much they had pre-sold, and are giving stores 1/2 their pre-orders.

The same thing went on with Star Wars rpg books, in some cases worse as it went on for multiple reprints.

I don't know why they're so bad at distribution but I have friends who will only pick up self-contained boardgames of theirs now because of how inconsistent it is to try and collect anything they do.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Dr.Strange got official reveal. Confirmed to have 20 card deck with 5 invocation spell cards, which have their own deck. You can then kneel Dr.Strange and pay cost of card to use it (which are really good, has a 2 cost 7 damage with stun, spell)

Protection aspect, and an Iron Man ally will be in the set.

One big thing is they’re apparently going to do a big clarification on the rules for defending as apparently things went in a direction they account for at the beginning so keep eyes on the FAQ/Rules in the next couple weeks.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Ugh hold me, I've decided to get into Arkham Horror LCG a couple of days ago (it's captured my interest ever since it came out, but the commitment and cost seemed prohibitive at the time. Now I've got a bit more income, and it's a more managable proposition). Anyways, I was scouring the second hand market, I saw someone selling his collection that had the 2x base game, and the first three cycles including the return to... boxes, everything already sleeved and token-capsuled for 130 euro bucks. I don't know why I hesitated, but of course it was gone an hour later. I will never again find a deal that good and it'll probably be a good deal longer until I get into the game because of it. Just came to vent my regret, thanks for reading.

I'll probably impulse buy the next reasonable deal with less stuff for more money anyways.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It annoys me that FFG keeps revealing upcoming packs for Champions while I wait for Captain America to come back into stock anywhere. Please. I just want to pinball a shield around.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Oenis posted:

Ugh hold me, I've decided to get into Arkham Horror LCG a couple of days ago (it's captured my interest ever since it came out, but the commitment and cost seemed prohibitive at the time. Now I've got a bit more income, and it's a more managable proposition). Anyways, I was scouring the second hand market, I saw someone selling his collection that had the 2x base game, and the first three cycles including the return to... boxes, everything already sleeved and token-capsuled for 130 euro bucks. I don't know why I hesitated, but of course it was gone an hour later. I will never again find a deal that good and it'll probably be a good deal longer until I get into the game because of it. Just came to vent my regret, thanks for reading.

I'll probably impulse buy the next reasonable deal with less stuff for more money anyways.

Welcome to the fold, my friend! It's still my favorite card game, although Marvel might make a run for it eventually. All it did currently as I wait for sold out packs to reappear is make me want to play Arkham more :v:

We have an Arkham thread if you're interested in discussing the game: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806880

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I got in the wrecking crew today and am looking forward to getting to game to the table again, it's been a few weeks. I still haven't gotten Green Goblin yet. Which scenario is recommend for him?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SettingSun posted:

It annoys me that FFG keeps revealing upcoming packs for Champions while I wait for Captain America to come back into stock anywhere. Please. I just want to pinball a shield around.

I hear you. Since I'm the delivery vector for the game among my friends, I've been wanting new heroes for them to play. I'm also kind tempted by a second core so we can give somebody something other than Protection which nobody is super impressed with yet.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Starting to look at building my own tokens and boards for this game, but I don't have it and haven't played it yet. How many schemes are usually on the board and what's the max?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PaybackJack posted:

Starting to look at building my own tokens and boards for this game, but I don't have it and haven't played it yet. How many schemes are usually on the board and what's the max?

I don't believe there's a max but at one time we had four schemes at once, thanks to the bad luck of Rhino flipping to stage two (which brought one out) and Titania's scheme showing up.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Losem posted:

I got in the wrecking crew today and am looking forward to getting to game to the table again, it's been a few weeks. I still haven't gotten Green Goblin yet. Which scenario is recommend for him?

Are you asking which is the easier of the 2 goblin scenarios, Risky Business or Mutagenic Nightmare (I think that’s the second one)

Risky Business is easier. You can kinda cheese it to build up your engine before you start beating on him. Mutagenic is harder because he craps out minions like crazy, but still overall doable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Played my first match with Wrecking Crew last night. Made a bunch of mistakes with how to play their decks because they are played so entirely different from every other villain. If they manage to keep up this kind of variety with the villains though, I think this game will be in a good place for a long time.

Some things to keep in mind when you play Wrecking Crew:

- Don’t forget you can attack any villain and now thwart and scheme you want. Good to keep in mind if you can get some good opening damage out right off the bat and want to focus fire people.

- Minions with Guard effect the entire board

The only thing we got a little confused on about “active” villain was how encounter cards worked when you decked yourself and figured they had to come from whoever was active villain in the encounter phase, but we definitely played that wrong and it can be from whoever was active villain at the time.

———

I also ran into a Game of Thrones situation. A friend had a card in shadows and wanted to use an ability on that card “kneel a location to bring that character into play” and I thought I could kneel the Red Keep “kneel to stop character/location ability from triggering”

He argued that because it’s still in Shadows my card can’t react to the ability because it comes out to late, but I argued that it my card works because you have to flip the card and show your playing the action and then my card can stop it right at that point. I didn’t want to argue so I let him do it, but who was right in that scenario?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Got in Ms. Marvel and Goblin, finally. :toot:

Kamala looks like she's really good at thwarting, especially with some set up. Possibly with Bruno providing resources at the right time to burst down five Threat.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

If the shadows card had some ability that happened upon it coming into play out of shadows, then you can stop it with red keep since that's a triggered ability. If a card says kneel this to do X then that can't be stopped because that is an activated ability.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rockker posted:

If the shadows card had some ability that happened upon it coming into play out of shadows, then you can stop it with red keep since that's a triggered ability. If a card says kneel this to do X then that can't be stopped because that is an activated ability.

So pouring through the rules yeah I can’t stop it because the Shadows area is out of play and the ability is used before it comes into play so the activation window for my ability is gone at that point.

Your answer confuses me though because the rules never make a distinction between a “triggered ability” and “activated ability” as long as there’s a bold action it’s considered triggered. In this case though I just can’t interact with that trigger until it’s too late.

Dawgstar posted:

Got in Ms. Marvel and Goblin, finally. :toot:

Kamala looks like she's really good at thwarting, especially with some set up. Possibly with Bruno providing resources at the right time to burst down five Threat.

Ms.Marvel is a beast at thwarting especially once you get her support out. I run her using aggression and there’s an event where if you defeat a minion you can remove 2 threat from a scheme, so do that, and boost the card and it’s 4 threat and you were taking out guys while you did it. I wasn’t really all that enthused when they revealed her, but when you play with her she’s super fun.

I’d recommend swapping out the protection aspect though cause I found that super boring and not great, but that’s just me.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 11, 2020

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So I played some Champions (Wrecking crew) and gave Arkham Horror another tried last night and really enjoyed it this time around. As said before I really like what they are doing with the villains in Champions. They all feel nice and different, though I still haven't tried the second Goblin or Ultron yet.

Also not sure why I bounced off of Arkham Horror the first time. Going to chalk it up to being relatively new to the hobby and really those learn to play guides aren't good if you don't have experience interpreting rules. The question for me now is how far down the rabbit hole do I go with it.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

The Black Stones posted:

Ms.Marvel is a beast at thwarting especially once you get her support out. I run her using aggression and there’s an event where if you defeat a minion you can remove 2 threat from a scheme, so do that, and boost the card and it’s 4 threat and you were taking out guys while you did it. I wasn’t really all that enthused when they revealed her, but when you play with her she’s super fun.

I’d recommend swapping out the protection aspect though cause I found that super boring and not great, but that’s just me.

While this is cheesy has hell, I believe you can use Ms Marvel's ability to grab Chase them down again, and then play it again on the same 'when you defeat a minion' trigger. So kill a dude, use Shrink+Chase for 4 threat, then exhaust Ms Marvel to get Chase back, and play it again for another 2 threat for a total of 6 threat and a dead minion.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

So pouring through the rules yeah I can’t stop it because the Shadows area is out of play and the ability is used before it comes into play so the activation window for my ability is gone at that point.

Your answer confuses me though because the rules never make a distinction between a “triggered ability” and “activated ability” as long as there’s a bold action it’s considered triggered. In this case though I just can’t interact with that trigger until it’s too late.

Well, wait....I just went back and looked at the rules and apparently my group has been playing wrong this whole time. I guess as a bunch of Magic: The Gathering players we sort of assumed triggered/activated abilities and there doesn't appear to be a difference in this game....so ignore what I said before I guess.

The agot rules say triggered abilities are in bold, and have some phase associated with them, e.g. "Action, Interrupt, Reaction, or Dominance Action" so any of those you could cancel with Red Keep if it was from a character, location or attachment while its in play. What cards are you referring to for your example?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's been a couple years since I played aGoT2e but I don't think it matters where the ability is triggered from because the effect isn't targeting the character it's just a response to an effect coming from a specific source.

Looks like you're talking about Forest Patrol and yes your could definitely use Treachery, or the Red Keep, to cancel that. You can't cancel them using the Keyword shadows, but you can cancel the bold ability of them paying the alternate cost.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 11, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, I've seen a couple of good Protection She-Hulk decks so I might make the swap (before I just break down and buy another starter) so Ms. Marvel can go Aggro.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Sleeved Wrecking Crew this weekend, looking forward to playing it soon. Really cool concept for a villain.

Does anyone else find it strange that there isn't any threat scaling? You just get one threat on the main scheme and one on each member's scheme per turn. So that's 5 threat per turn, regardless of the number of players. Seems fairly easy to deal with at four players and really hard for a solo hero.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rockker posted:

The agot rules say triggered abilities are in bold, and have some phase associated with them, e.g. "Action, Interrupt, Reaction, or Dominance Action" so any of those you could cancel with Red Keep if it was from a character, location or attachment while its in play. What cards are you referring to for your example?

PaybackJack posted:

It's been a couple years since I played aGoT2e but I don't think it matters where the ability is triggered from because the effect isn't targeting the character it's just a response to an effect coming from a specific source.

Looks like you're talking about Forest Patrol and yes your could definitely use Treachery, or the Red Keep, to cancel that. You can't cancel them using the Keyword shadows, but you can cancel the bold ability of them paying the alternate cost.

Forest Patrol is the one I’m talking about.

I would have figured by rereading the rules that since it’s still being played from Shadows I couldn’t stop it, but I did originally think that should be the case.

Thanks for the clarification.

Rusty Kettle posted:

While this is cheesy has hell, I believe you can use Ms Marvel's ability to grab Chase them down again, and then play it again on the same 'when you defeat a minion' trigger. So kill a dude, use Shrink+Chase for 4 threat, then exhaust Ms Marvel to get Chase back, and play it again for another 2 threat for a total of 6 threat and a dead minion.

Maybe? The timing would be kinda funny on that but I can see how that would work. I’m usually pulling back a powerful attack card though.

Ojetor posted:

Sleeved Wrecking Crew this weekend, looking forward to playing it soon. Really cool concept for a villain.

Does anyone else find it strange that there isn't any threat scaling? You just get one threat on the main scheme and one on each member's scheme per turn. So that's 5 threat per turn, regardless of the number of players. Seems fairly easy to deal with at four players and really hard for a solo hero.

I think the idea is that if you have 4 players, the villains will deck themselves that much faster and thus make the main scheme accelerate faster. Also if you have a hero or two flipped that could easily fire off a side scheme. It hurts when those go off. It’s definitely a bit easier to handle though. We had Cap and Protection Spidey out, so we were stunning and blocking like crazy so rarely had to flip.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 11, 2020

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Grrr, I didn't know how Amazon pre-orders worked. Got a notification that my pre-order for both new packs (Arkham and Marvel) wouldn't arrive until April, so I said to hell with that. But now I'm forced to either buy from a scalper or wait that long anyway for the Marvel pack.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
If you pre-order from online and live in the US you might as well pre-order direct from FFG, from what I’ve read you pay a small mark up but it’s free shipping and you generally get it day of release if not a little before because they ship as soon as they can.

I live in Canada so I’m stuck with my FLGS, but I got Ms.Marvel, Green Goblin, and Wrecking Crew all day one, so 4 out of 5 isn’t bad.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I decided to get the Hero packs and Goblin locally in Taiwan. They're in Chinese but since this is a co-op game I don't mind sliding a proxy over the Chinese text or since I'm playing with my Taiwanese girlfriend she can just tell me how they work.

Wrecking Crew isn't out yet but at least everything is in stock.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've had Captain America, Green Goblin, Thor, and Wrecking Crew pre-ordered at one of the biggest online shops for games here in Germany for like two months now, and not a single info about when they're expected to get stock. Their website still says Cap/Goblin have an expected delivery date of January 2020 :wtc:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've played some 3 and 4 player games of Wrecking Crew. They feel hard, I'm constantly agonizing over my next turn, and they hit hard, but I don't actually think they are hard. I think you play your cards and you win at a large player count.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Drone posted:

I've had Captain America, Green Goblin, Thor, and Wrecking Crew pre-ordered at one of the biggest online shops for games here in Germany for like two months now, and not a single info about when they're expected to get stock. Their website still says Cap/Goblin have an expected delivery date of January 2020 :wtc:

In the US I've only been able to get Goblin and Wrecking Crew :(

I don't think Thor is out anywhere yet, at least.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I don't think Thor is out anywhere yet, at least.

Thor isn’t officially released until March, but apparently in Australia a retailer was selling it early and some packs have gone into the wild. Don’t know if we’ll see spoilers for it or not.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Speaking of spoilers, here is the the whole card listing for the upcoming Dr Strange pack. Looks pretty great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

For me it's Ms. Marvel and Goblin. I'm hoping maybe our FLGS will just... get the new stuff in, but that's kinda risky thanks to FFG or Alliance or somebody.

I really don't want to miss Black Widow. Natasha looks really fun.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fritzler posted:

Speaking of spoilers, here is the the whole card listing for the upcoming Dr Strange pack. Looks pretty great.

That honestly looks amazing. He might end up being my go to character.

They’re doing an incredible job so far in making the heroes feel unique and have mechanics that fit their specific traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fritzler posted:

Is "The Sorcerer Supreme" one of Strange's cards or a random neutral? If it's the latter that'd be pretty amusing.