Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
My greatest MMO achievement was participating in a perfect bombing run, wiping a whole domi fleet off the grid
Except they were blue, cos our FC was so baked he missed the memo
And they were PL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:perfect:

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Ruggan posted:

P much. PvP is only fun for most people as gank squads or if they win. Losing at PvP isn’t fun for almost anyone.

Gank based PvP is great for goons but lovely for your average player. Skill based PvP is lovely for everyone that doesn’t have skill (goons and most average players).

That model doesn’t work.

"Open" PVP needs a risk reward system thats good enough to get your sheep to go into the wilds and away from guards, but the sheep also need lots of reasons to stay around the guards. Ultimately you need a robust and fairly large flock of sheep in the game for the game to continue working.

Point is that when the wolf population gets to big, the wolves eat their own and the sheep stop playing. Alternative systems could exist, like wolves have to do sheep activities as well but even then I've seen groups game this system so they can hide with the guards, attack from NPC lands, and when the big alliance wants to stomp them they run away again.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Unless we go back to a market of having only one popular mmo the pvp mmo is dead. A shame because it can introduce some fun complexity as compared to say an FPS but it is what it is

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

The fix is to pay or imprison people to play your game as sheep

Or write an AI algorithm that approximates a sheep and somehow convince your wolves that these artificial sheep are real people

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Ruggan posted:

The fix is to pay or imprison people to play your game as sheep

Or write an AI algorithm that approximates a sheep and somehow convince your wolves that these artificial sheep are real people

Not as hard as you might think.

Take a game of all wolves, but require sheep activities. Allow sheep activities to be automated via NPCs with a semi advanced scripting system. (if attacked, fire back, run away, dump cargo and run etc). In addition all attacks on your sheep get reported so you can deal with whomever is attacking your sheep. You could have real time (like EvE online) or in a more open world game think of building your squad of resource movers and give them a runner, a defender, and 2 guys with backpacks. It's even reasonable that the NPCs are worth more than the goods they are moving. In the event they do not show up you know someone is attacking your stuff and about where, if your runner shows up you know where the fight is, and if you have a mage he could open a portal to the convoy and you and your guild can come running out to fight.

Now you have a game that is built around the fact that for every wolf there is 5-10 minions running around working for him and are prime targets for the wolves. I would assume that some players could ignore combat skills and become better builders or something, being able to work better then the NPCs doing the same work, but those guys would need to be members of guilds and keep out of the spot light. Still a crafting wizard could do something in combat if needed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Three thoughts on this:

1) You can make an MMO that's all about PvP and it can be good.

2) You can make an MMO that's all about PvE, with PvP as a sideshow or non-existent, and it can be good.

3) What you cannot do is spend the bulk of your development time with the mantra "we are making heavy PvP game" or "we are not making a heavy PvP game", and then just completely change your mind when you are a few months from release. That game will suck.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've been having a game idea for a MMO esque game for a while.

Basically it's augmented reality game similar to that of Poke'mon Go. The thing is that instead of walking around areas aimlessly searching for Poke'mon, you'd go into specifically areas of your cities that will be transformed into dungeons. Imagine walking in your neighborhood's downtown where each road and alley acts like a segment of a map in dungeon crawler, complete with ends that lead to various treasure, items, and hidden secrets. Kind of like a modified Googlemaps. Each mini-map will end with a sizable boss battle. There will also be many quests throughout your own town to venture into various dungeons. The hook of the game would be that anybody can design their own dungeons and share them online like Mario Maker. The best voted dungeons could become mainstays of the server and added to the story. The game would have a turn based battle system and would pretty much be a dungeon crawling RPG. It would MMO esque since you can hook up with any of your friends or any random person who is also playing the game and undergo any quest.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've been having a game idea for a MMO esque game for a while.

Basically it's augmented reality game similar to that of Poke'mon Go. The thing is that instead of walking around areas aimlessly searching for Poke'mon, you'd go into specifically areas of your cities that will be transformed into dungeons. Imagine walking in your neighborhood's downtown where each road and alley acts like a segment of a map in dungeon crawler, complete with ends that lead to various treasure, items, and hidden secrets. Kind of like a modified Googlemaps. Each mini-map will end with a sizable boss battle. There will also be many quests throughout your own town to venture into various dungeons. The hook of the game would be that anybody can design their own dungeons and share them online like Mario Maker. The best voted dungeons could become mainstays of the server and added to the story. The game would have a turn based battle system and would pretty much be a dungeon crawling RPG. It would MMO esque since you can hook up with any of your friends or any random person who is also playing the game and undergo any quest.

How many people will be robbed here?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I saw a lot of videos of people getting robbed while doing Pokemon Go poo poo in their city after dark, and I gotta say I loved each one more than the last.

Some fat greasy nerd walking around livestreaming himself playing pokemon go with an ash ketchum hat getting punched out. Loved it.

A lot of robberies happen in the real world while you have your phone out and are using it because it bypasses passwords/biometric poo poo, in fact a lot of robbers look for people taking video or typing on their phone since they're not looking around them. Basically it's like asking muggers to rob them.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Three thoughts on this:

2) You can make an MMO that's all about PvE, with PvP as a sideshow or non-existent, and it can be good.

3) What you cannot do is spend the bulk of your development time with the mantra "we are making heavy PvP game" or "we are not making a heavy PvP game", and then just completely change your mind when you are a few months from release. That game will suck.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > will there ever be a good MMO ever again: That game will suck.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

How many people will be robbed here?

A bit more than Pokemon Go.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Chomp8645 posted:

Three thoughts on this:

I was having a think about this, and why people bitch so much about MMOs in general

I think it's a bit of Peter Molyneux syndrome where publishers hype up the game to the extreme "you can be and do whatever you want! Kill you who want! Save the world!" then when it's just another MMO people are feel cheated after their sky high expectations have been shattered
That plus the long development times gives a lot of time for imaginations to spiral in the community, only to be let down by the final product

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Here’s more on the new version of New World, sounds kind of poo poo tbh

https://www.pcgamer.com/new-world-h...uffer_pcgamerfb

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kaysette posted:

Here’s more on the new version of New World, sounds kind of poo poo tbh

https://www.pcgamer.com/new-world-h...uffer_pcgamerfb

this mmo sounds like the product of like 10 different product managers all making the developers do different things and then they jammed it into a single game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

eonwe posted:

this mmo sounds like the product of like 10 different product managers all making the developers do different things and then they jammed it into a single game

That's amazon product development. They're really notorious for just trying whatever and everything with next to no filter.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Honestly, reading what they originally pitched the game as pre-alpha, New Worlds sounded like my dream MMO. But after PvP-gate plus apparently now the game has no actual focus... It's just confusing

I have no idea what I'm actually meant to look forward to in that game except their dumb faction combat over towns or whatever and I don't even like faction combat

Who knows, maybe it's actually jam packed with content and it'll actually be surprisingly good. But I'm getting bad vibes from it

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Having territories change hands and companies setting tax rates and stuff sounds completely unworkable. It's the kind of thing that you might get in a weekend-long larp event, but that kind of things works there specifically because a) you have a guaranteed time and place where a bunch of players will definitely be gathered and playing the game, and b) people are actually present to talk and interact, which counts for a lot when you need some kind of structure and order to emerge from the giant mob of people you've assembled.

Hoovering up 20 players for a impromptu battle is barely doable in most games, let alone 100 every time someone decides they want a go at your territory. At some point you run into the limits of what your physical player base are going to be able to accomplish on a regular basis.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Having territories change hands and companies setting tax rates and stuff sounds completely unworkable. It's the kind of thing that you might get in a weekend-long larp event, but that kind of things works there specifically because a) you have a guaranteed time and place where a bunch of players will definitely be gathered and playing the game, and b) people are actually present to talk and interact, which counts for a lot when you need some kind of structure and order to emerge from the giant mob of people you've assembled.

Hoovering up 20 players for a impromptu battle is barely doable in most games, let alone 100 every time someone decides they want a go at your territory. At some point you run into the limits of what your physical player base are going to be able to accomplish on a regular basis.

You can do larger battles by making it almost required to break up into smaller groups.

This can be as a matter of fact by making action combat with FFA and AOE being the default. Or by adding so many objectives that have to break your force into smaller groups.

Only the "last stand" should come close to having everyone in the same small area and that can be programmed out by requiring cap points in various towers or the like.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

PyRosflam posted:

Not as hard as you might think.

Take a game of all wolves, but require sheep activities. Allow sheep activities to be automated via NPCs with a semi advanced scripting system. (if attacked, fire back, run away, dump cargo and run etc). In addition all attacks on your sheep get reported so you can deal with whomever is attacking your sheep. You could have real time (like EvE online) or in a more open world game think of building your squad of resource movers and give them a runner, a defender, and 2 guys with backpacks. It's even reasonable that the NPCs are worth more than the goods they are moving. In the event they do not show up you know someone is attacking your stuff and about where, if your runner shows up you know where the fight is, and if you have a mage he could open a portal to the convoy and you and your guild can come running out to fight.

Now you have a game that is built around the fact that for every wolf there is 5-10 minions running around working for him and are prime targets for the wolves. I would assume that some players could ignore combat skills and become better builders or something, being able to work better then the NPCs doing the same work, but those guys would need to be members of guilds and keep out of the spot light. Still a crafting wizard could do something in combat if needed.

There was an MMO on heat.net :corsair: that had players owning little plots of land (and they could own multiple plots with no limit) with automated resource extractors. The land was open to attack 24/7, except for their capital plot, and their guild would be notified and expected to defend it. The gameplay was like Battlezone where you ran around in third person with a gun but also commanded a squad of units to attack enemy defenses and units. My favorite part was that while all plots had the same amount of resources, their distribution varied as did the terrain of the plot. Plots with most of the resources clustered were rare and valuable - even more so if they were on defensible terrain too.

It was a lot of fun, and seemed pretty popular for its time, but guilds were capped at 20 and it took a ton of time investment to not just lose everything. I would definitely play another like it if they found a way to get around the "your guild logged off for the night and lost everything" problem.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I believe you're referring to 10Six -- and there's an emulated version of it still available! I played it for a few months a couple years back for a good nostalgia trip. Hoverboards, space mechs under your control, sci-fi FPS...it was a lot of fun for the day.

http://www.projectvisitor.com

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Holy poo poo, 10Six was indeed what I was referring to. I'm going to have to try this out.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC4waS1po6c

Oh my god this video is so early 2000's it hurts
I love it

Edit: it's the god drat wolf howls in the background omg

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
amazing. i wanna play this poo poo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Matrix Online sounded cool since they hired actors to act out characters in the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kaffo posted:

I love it

I'm hyped as hell to play this game.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

kaffo posted:

I love it

wtf that looks fun, how did I miss this?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

yikes! posted:

There was an MMO on heat.net :corsair: that had players owning little plots of land (and they could own multiple plots with no limit) with automated resource extractors. The land was open to attack 24/7, except for their capital plot, and their guild would be notified and expected to defend it. The gameplay was like Battlezone where you ran around in third person with a gun but also commanded a squad of units to attack enemy defenses and units. My favorite part was that while all plots had the same amount of resources, their distribution varied as did the terrain of the plot. Plots with most of the resources clustered were rare and valuable - even more so if they were on defensible terrain too.

It was a lot of fun, and seemed pretty popular for its time, but guilds were capped at 20 and it took a ton of time investment to not just lose everything. I would definitely play another like it if they found a way to get around the "your guild logged off for the night and lost everything" problem.

I could think of a few ways to make this doable and fun.

Guild's could own "Guarded" areas that protect your NPCs as they go about their business, guarded areas could be built around resources such that you equip your guards and a majority of your guards must be eliminated before your town becomes truly attackable. Each player could be asked to give 1-3 NPCs to guard duty to keep the area safer then the wilds. Towns castles and keeps could require siege engines to assault successfully which take time to setup and build, putting your workers at risk in both directions.

For a more personal game you could kinda do it like kingdom under fire 2 but instead of squads you have individuals whom follow you around and as Fallout games have shown, people like dressing up their followers. The fun part is both types could be the same game.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

kaffo posted:

I love it

this is middle_school.mp4 for me and i love it so much

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

same but put that exact music over Puzzle Pirates gameplay

Orv
May 4, 2011
10Six is a game I've spent way too much time thinking about considering I played it for like a week total while it existed originally.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
I think the next popular MMO/MMO-like game will be first created as a heavily customized private server for an existing MMO. Much like literally every popular multiplayer game atm is a derivative of a mod for another game. Mobas, battleroyales, CS:GO and the list goes on. Runescape also had its popular iron man modes first adapted by players and later made into a proper game mode.

I guess the Ascension private server for wow is kind of doing its own thing? It might not be the concept that catches the masses but at some point a private server will launch that ticks all the right boxes and it will later be developed as a standalone game.

It would probably help if the developers of private servers had proper modding tools but that obviously isn't going to happen.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I didn't think there was a good PvP MMO worth playing, little did I know it was a game I had already played (Warhammer Online) but that was worked on for free since Return of Reckoning private server was launched in 2015 to get it to this point. Then it took a youtube video from TheLazyPeon to get the population to over 3500 on a Sunday, after being ~1k peak a month ago. Now even more people who are home with this poo poo going on are joining, it's most fun I've had PvPing probably ever.

knox fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 30, 2020

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Mursupitsku posted:

I think the next popular MMO/MMO-like game will be first created as a heavily customized private server for an existing MMO. Much like literally every popular multiplayer game atm is a derivative of a mod for another game. Mobas, battleroyales, CS:GO and the list goes on. Runescape also had its popular iron man modes first adapted by players and later made into a proper game mode.

I guess the Ascension private server for wow is kind of doing its own thing? It might not be the concept that catches the masses but at some point a private server will launch that ticks all the right boxes and it will later be developed as a standalone game.

It would probably help if the developers of private servers had proper modding tools but that obviously isn't going to happen.

There is an actully interesting alternative here. A game company could go through the cost and expense of making a tool kit like the one that shipped with Warcraft III for MMOs. Bethesda almost did that with how they made Fallout 4, they just keep the kit in house for the most part. A purpose built engine designed from the ground up to allow a huge amount of shared artwork and styles, painters for the world map, class editors, monster editors and a whole lot more.

Point is if you could make it super easy to make an MMO, remove the backend tech for it and make it a pure "what do you want to design" aspect then hundreds of people could play with it, a few companies could barrow the engine and redo most aspects, and top partners could work with the Devs to create additional features all while allowing new core features to be added to the engine over time.

Anyone who wants to launch would only then get hit with a fee, like a lot of modern engines do today. We could then get a wide range of MMO games that could range from cheap / free games done as POCs to full scale new games that could even easily purchase and integrate smaller projects into their own games.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
MMO engines run on hacks, hope, and prayers. Making them modular and easy to customize would be a trainwreck.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

MMO engines run on hacks, hope, and prayers. Making them modular and easy to customize would be a trainwreck.

Having seen the WoW code base, I can tell you that most modern WoW is modular and easy to design for. Boss scripting is only easier on FFXIV and most of the world design including layers and such are very robust.

New code post firing most of the QA team is however ugly and rushed, the lords that be are demanding every dollar be tracked and fail to understand that releasing buggy messes is a bad thing for the long tail of the game.

But WoW world files, and a lot of other stuff is often still stuck in the design system from classic, just layers of graphics on top of layers of older stuff with no good way to paint a landscape. You can best see this in any kind of cliff face where the textures sorta just stretch down instead of meshing well with the world.

So ya, Someone needs to build RPG maker - MMO edition and remove the hacks.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I think if we just make yet another open world full loot sandbox mmo where youc an craft base that gets destroyed unless you're online constantly and then throw it up on kickstarter we'll have a hit!!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Having now reached Heavensward in FFXIV and seen the improvements over the base game, honestly, just throw in action combat, clean up the massively MMO UI and ditch the subscription model and I would have my favourite game in the entire world.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'd prefer subscription models as oppose to F2P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This postmortem on Chronicles of Elyria is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfiibVaEMeY

The pre-alpha they released is hilarious.

This is one of the most blatant scams I've ever seen in the MMO Kickstarter space.