Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah that looks cool as poo poo.

E: the space cut game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're working on Homeworld 3, Homeworld: Mobile (lol) and Shipbreakers. Good for them!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Blackbird Interactive, of Homeworld fame, have revealed their next game and it's a spaceship decommissioning simulator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPgI9vkmYg
EA this summer.

They really like that “Shipbreaker” word. I guess this was what they were doing after Deserts of Kharak but before HW3

Anyways this looks like what the first half of Lost Planet 3 was like (though probably minus the quirky supporting characters) and that was dope so I hope this can maintain that throughout.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Can't wait to play some Planetes

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kibayasu posted:

They really like that “Shipbreaker” word.
Tbf, it's a cool word.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Too bad it doesn't seem to be multiplayer. That's a great concept for relaxing and hating your space life together.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Shipbreaker doesn't look like something I would play for more than an evening, but I'm glad it's being made for the tech on display, the uniqueness of the premise, and that it looks like it's going to make other people very happy to play it.

The only thing that struck me as off about it, and this is really nitpicky, is that it's name is Hardspace: Shipbreakers and not just Shipbreakers, which is a much punchier and interesting name without the Hardspace part. It's a marketing decision that feels a bit odd to me.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Looks like it would be a nice title to play in VR too, if they support that.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Shipbreaker looks like my jam, but it bothers me that the game will go into Early Access in Summer. So it's about half a year away? For Early Access?

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 19, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mzbundifund posted:

Too bad it doesn't seem to be multiplayer. That's a great concept for relaxing and hating your space life together.

Seriously, that was the first thing I checked, and then I closed the window. Maybe it's not listing that because it's EA? I didn't see anything about planned features, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What's wrong with a game launching into EA?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OutOfPrint posted:

Shipbreaker doesn't look like something I would play for more than an evening, but I'm glad it's being made for the tech on display, the uniqueness of the premise, and that it looks like it's going to make other people very happy to play it.

The only thing that struck me as off about it, and this is really nitpicky, is that it's name is Hardspace: Shipbreakers and not just Shipbreakers, which is a much punchier and interesting name without the Hardspace part. It's a marketing decision that feels a bit odd to me.

They said they're working on four things at once a while ago, so between HW3, HW:M, and that I wouldn't be surprised there's going to be another Hardspace: Subtitle later

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Shipbreaker sounds like a neat little concept for a simple game, kinda like Papers Please. That its seeming to sell itself as a high-budget neat-gfx game gives me a bit of a chuckle. Either that trailer is comically overselling things, or the devs are underselling their hook for a bigger game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Shipbreaker sounds like a neat little concept for a simple game, kinda like Papers Please. That its seeming to sell itself as a high-budget neat-gfx game gives me a bit of a chuckle. Either that trailer is comically overselling things, or the devs are underselling their hook for a bigger game.

Might be a way to show off the graphics and physics work they’ve already done for HW3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
From all that the video actually tells me, it sounds like it's basically going to be a more 3D and prettified take on Cargo Commander, except you're collecting the ships themselves instead of lost cargo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's wrong with a game launching into EA?

Nothing, I was simply wondering if they don't list multiplayer because the game is only going into early access and doesn't HAVE that yet, but maybe it's on a roadmap somewhere, which I could not find. But, probably not, probably just not a thing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Just because the concept of a game is simple doesn't mean it can't have nice tech in it. There are way more games that would benefit from having a smaller scope than otherwise.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Samuringa posted:

Just because the concept of a game is simple doesn't mean it can't have nice tech in it. There are way more games that would benefit from having a smaller scope than otherwise.

It's all a bait and switch and this is actually going to be Dead Space 4

Have fun breaking Necromorphs with the laser cutting tech

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dead Space 3 was amazing in co-op. Ignore the microtransactions which literally don't matter because you're always loaded with materials and get your most potato headed friend, your rocket launcher minigun nailgun thing, mighty boot and MIGHTY MJOLNIR and just angrily stomp your way through The Thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I saw a game on Reddit that looked similar to old school Battlefield and I want to say is being developed by somebody who worked on the older games. Looked really cool and the people in the comments talked it up a lot.

Anyone know what I’m talking about? I can’t find it on google.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rolo posted:

I saw a game on Reddit that looked similar to old school Battlefield and I want to say is being developed by somebody who worked on the older games. Looked really cool and the people in the comments talked it up a lot.

Could it be Squad?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sininu posted:

Could it be Squad?

That looks to be it! Anyone recommend it?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Have you ever played Project Reality mod for BF2? It's made by the dudes who did that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rolo posted:

Hell let loose?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rolo posted:

I can give you a kee if you want to play it after the recommendations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This one has been a long time coming, because no matter how many times I try, I just cannot get into it and I hate that that's the case.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights
14. Spark the Electric Jester 2
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO
17. Umihara Kawase
18. Noita

19. Rain World

This one just breaks my heart, it really does. I love atmospheric platformers, especially ones with grand, compelling worlds. I love learning to deal with strange, hostile creatures. And I love having a cute protagonist like, say, a slugcat. But I can’t deal with this game. I can’t deal with the awkward controls, ponderous maps, and sudden, tedious deaths. I hope you can, I genuinely do, because it feels like there’s something special hidden somewhere in Rain World. It’s something I’m never going to find, though, because every hour I spend in this game is more frustrating than the last.

You, as you surely have gathered, are a slugcat. Your world was clearly once something else entirely, but has fallen into incredible ruin. That’s fine, though, because with your family of slugcats you can hunt and nest to your heart’s content. At least, until a terrible flood washes you far, far away from familiar faces. Now lost in the tangled wreckage of the old world, you must fend for yourself, scrounging up food and shelter wherever you can. These lands are teeming with vicious, ravenous creatures large and small, which you’ll need to avoid at all costs. And worse than them are the rains, which wipe out all life foolish enough to remain exposed when they pour down like divine judgment.

Rain World is equal parts platforming, exploring, and survival. The platforming comes from navigating the hundreds upon hundreds of ruined fields, chambers, shafts, and structures of the world with no upgrades or superpowers, just your nimble slugcat reflexes. Your platforming skills will help you explore the vast world before you, moving from one area to the next, searching out sources of food and locations to shelter in, and learning the patterns of predatory creatures. And the survival comes from needing to eat before making use of those shelters. If you stay out too long the rains come and wipe you out, so you’ve got to be ready to hole up and slumber before that happens.

It’s a compelling bunch of interlocking systems, all tied up with some additional details that are never explained by the game. Resting at a shelter advances a counter, for example, which is needed to get you through certain gates between zones. There are special foods you can eat that confer unique and powerful effects on your slugcat. And on a much more basic level, interacting with enemies, water, and even your own moves requires a surprising amount of trial and error. I understand a huge component of the game is discovery and experimentation but there’s more than enough of that in the world itself that basic gameplay elements don’t need to be so fully obscured.

This is the thing that ruined Rain World for me, how incredibly unforgiving it is about everything it does. All three of the features I described, the platforming, exploration, and survival, ended up frustrating me more than I ever thought possible. Getting around the world is needlessly difficult due to the noodley nature of your slugcat, who flops to and fro as you try to mantle up a simple ledge. His special moves like the long jump and wall jump are just as fiddly, and fouling them up can cost you tons of time or your life. In a game as ready to kill you as this one, precision is at a premium and what you have is hidden behind some terribly touchy controls.

The difficulty getting around makes the vast, sprawling world a liability, especially the way it’s paced out. In my hours with this game I’ve found ruined buildings, a sewer system, and very dark pipes. I’ve been waiting for something really interesting, some big hook or even small vista to promise something more, but it’s still all squalor and claustrophobia. The sewers in particular were a pain because everywhere I wanted to go required either precision jumps, long strings of awkward wall jumps, or swimming against a very narrow margin for drowning. Once I powered through all those dank pipes and cisterns, I ended up in an area of even denser pipes, half pitch-black, filled with enemies that would instantly kill me. Why in the hell would I carry on from there?

On top of all that, I’ve had too many experiences narrowly missing arrival to a new nest to save or having to backtrack through huge areas just to find food or a more reasonable path forward. I don’t know how much of my time Rain World has wasted by killing me, starving me, or washing me out, but I can’t point to anything that makes it feel worth it. Maybe you can, and if so, I honestly envy you. I’ve put several hours into this game because I believe there’s something good and worthwhile to discover here. It’s just that every time I look for it myself, I find no evidence it’s there. It’s sad, but it’s a cruel, unforgiving world, after all.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mordja posted:

Blackbird Interactive, of Homeworld fame, have revealed their next game and it's a spaceship decommissioning simulator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPgI9vkmYg
EA this summer.

I mean I'd be happy with just a game where you get to poke around empty spaceships that look like Chris Foss designed them, never mind having actual gameplay.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FuzzySlippers posted:

When I was researching this a month ago it seems like most people said vertical mice only worked in the slowest games (stuff you could play on the trackball anyway like strategy games).

It sounds like you are dealing with similar issues to myself and I elected to instead get a lighter mouse that was a better fit for a palm grip. Its tough to change your mouse grip, but it is less of a strain to do palm instead of my usual claw grip when I can remember to do it.

I fall back into a claw grip almost automatically, yea; especially when tense, as tends to happen almost immediately in any real-time game (anxious bugger that I am)

I have a Steelseries Rival 600 right now for reference, and my desk doesn’t allow room for much more than wrist movement to turn about

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Too Shy Guy posted:

This one has been a long time coming, because no matter how many times I try, I just cannot get into it and I hate that that's the case.

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
13. Touhou Luna Nights
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO
17. Umihara Kawase
18. Noita

19. Rain World

This one just breaks my heart, it really does. I love atmospheric platformers, especially ones with grand, compelling worlds. I love learning to deal with strange, hostile creatures. And I love having a cute protagonist like, say, a slugcat. But I can’t deal with this game. I can’t deal with the awkward controls, ponderous maps, and sudden, tedious deaths. I hope you can, I genuinely do, because it feels like there’s something special hidden somewhere in Rain World. It’s something I’m never going to find, though, because every hour I spend in this game is more frustrating than the last.

You, as you surely have gathered, are a slugcat. Your world was clearly once something else entirely, but has fallen into incredible ruin. That’s fine, though, because with your family of slugcats you can hunt and nest to your heart’s content. At least, until a terrible flood washes you far, far away from familiar faces. Now lost in the tangled wreckage of the old world, you must fend for yourself, scrounging up food and shelter wherever you can. These lands are teeming with vicious, ravenous creatures large and small, which you’ll need to avoid at all costs. And worse than them are the rains, which wipe out all life foolish enough to remain exposed when they pour down like divine judgment.

Rain World is equal parts platforming, exploring, and survival. The platforming comes from navigating the hundreds upon hundreds of ruined fields, chambers, shafts, and structures of the world with no upgrades or superpowers, just your nimble slugcat reflexes. Your platforming skills will help you explore the vast world before you, moving from one area to the next, searching out sources of food and locations to shelter in, and learning the patterns of predatory creatures. And the survival comes from needing to eat before making use of those shelters. If you stay out too long the rains come and wipe you out, so you’ve got to be ready to hole up and slumber before that happens.

It’s a compelling bunch of interlocking systems, all tied up with some additional details that are never explained by the game. Resting at a shelter advances a counter, for example, which is needed to get you through certain gates between zones. There are special foods you can eat that confer unique and powerful effects on your slugcat. And on a much more basic level, interacting with enemies, water, and even your own moves requires a surprising amount of trial and error. I understand a huge component of the game is discovery and experimentation but there’s more than enough of that in the world itself that basic gameplay elements don’t need to be so fully obscured.

This is the thing that ruined Rain World for me, how incredibly unforgiving it is about everything it does. All three of the features I described, the platforming, exploration, and survival, ended up frustrating me more than I ever thought possible. Getting around the world is needlessly difficult due to the noodley nature of your slugcat, who flops to and fro as you try to mantle up a simple ledge. His special moves like the long jump and wall jump are just as fiddly, and fouling them up can cost you tons of time or your life. In a game as ready to kill you as this one, precision is at a premium and what you have is hidden behind some terribly touchy controls.

The difficulty getting around makes the vast, sprawling world a liability, especially the way it’s paced out. In my hours with this game I’ve found ruined buildings, a sewer system, and very dark pipes. I’ve been waiting for something really interesting, some big hook or even small vista to promise something more, but it’s still all squalor and claustrophobia. The sewers in particular were a pain because everywhere I wanted to go required either precision jumps, long strings of awkward wall jumps, or swimming against a very narrow margin for drowning. Once I powered through all those dank pipes and cisterns, I ended up in an area of even denser pipes, half pitch-black, filled with enemies that would instantly kill me. Why in the hell would I carry on from there?

On top of all that, I’ve had too many experiences narrowly missing arrival to a new nest to save or having to backtrack through huge areas just to find food or a more reasonable path forward. I don’t know how much of my time Rain World has wasted by killing me, starving me, or washing me out, but I can’t point to anything that makes it feel worth it. Maybe you can, and if so, I honestly envy you. I’ve put several hours into this game because I believe there’s something good and worthwhile to discover here. It’s just that every time I look for it myself, I find no evidence it’s there. It’s sad, but it’s a cruel, unforgiving world, after all.

sounds like you went to the drainage system :rip:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Too Shy Guy posted:

Rain World Review

Ah, I felt like this might be the case for me as well. I want to try this game because it seems like a cool modernization of games like Out of this World or Flashback, but I dunno if I'd have the time or patience for it, even though I can appreciate what this game is doing and the beauty of it. Similar thing is happening to me with games like Disco Elysium: I've loved my time with it but I dunno if I can go all the way with it, even though I feel I should.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ciaphas posted:

I fall back into a claw grip almost automatically, yea; especially when tense, as tends to happen almost immediately in any real-time game (anxious bugger that I am)

I have a Steelseries Rival 600 right now for reference, and my desk doesn’t allow room for much more than wrist movement to turn about
You might benefit from one of those gaming mice that allow for toggling their DPI on the fly. Having the ability to adjust mouse sensitivity can be very convenient when you don't have much space and don't want to fiddle with system settings every time you switch between tasks.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Rolo posted:

It’s not really that much like Battlefield in practice. It feels closer to Hell Let Loose or ARMA or Red Orchestra or something. The basic conquest set up from Bf is there, but the game play is way more “realistic”/slow-paced. It’s fun imo, but in a very different way from shooters like battlefield.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
13. Touhou Luna Nights
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO
17. Umihara Kawase
18. Noita

19. Rain World

rain worl

I'm a bit in this boat too. Rain World felt like the kind of game I really want to love because of how explorational and dynamic it is, but it is not a game that respects your time at all. You have to dedicate a lot of time to exploring the mechanics, the world, everything, and you can easily trap yourself in an area you're unprepared for because the path back to a safer zone to get food in closes behind you and you can't survive long enough to open it again. You can get stuck, and there's nothing you can do but try fruitlessly to get enough food again and again without dying, or just start over completely. If you're lucky and can actually pull off getting enough food enough times to open the path back, well, you still have to backtrack all the way back from wherever you are right now, and the levels are big. Really big. With several branching paths. And if you die once, the path closes again. Good luck.

If the game explained just a little bit about how its systems worked, even just little hints to nudge you in the right direction so you can suss out how not to gently caress up, it might not be so bad, but you're clearly expected to either be smart and careful enough at all times not to make those mistakes despite not knowing about them in the first place, or just gently caress up and take the loss and try again next time.

I know there's an easy mode, but I don't want THAT easy of an experience. I want to have a challenge surviving against all of the enemies, and it's a treat whenever I'm able to find food, it feels like an actual victory. I mostly wish -besides all the issues above- that things were explained a little better, and I don't want to have to fall back to a wiki and have everything spoiled for me because I looked at the wrong thing. I already did that a little bit and it soured things somewhat.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Rain World definitely felt like one of those "team of graphic artists make a game" scenarios, but I ended up loving it anyways ultimately. I found the art/atmosphere incredible. The final segment is pure slugcat drugs. It's a shame the gameplay is understandably a barrier for many.

With tighter controls, it would have been an all time fav of mine, hands down.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Trickyblackjack posted:

With tighter controls, it would have been an all time fav of mine, hands down.
Even with everything else I might be tempted to try it but the "have to fight the actual basic controls themselves" part is a dealbreaker, yeah.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the controls are pretty reliable once you figure out you need to hold in the direction you want slugcat to travel. like there's a ledge 3 rooms into the game that new players always struggle to pull themselves up, but if you're holding up and to the right as you try you'll get it every time. similarly, holding in the direction of your jumps and pounces will make you travel further.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 20, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/EightyLevel/status/1230244794556985344

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I was also in the boat that I didn't mind the difficulty, or the lack of explanations or guidance per se, but I could not get over that control scheme. I don't even mind having to look up things in a wiki in games sometimes, but having to do that with the game's own controls and then spending time memorizing a variety of fiddly maneuvers just so that I could move around in a way that doesn't feel terrible never felt anything but bad.

Like I'm someone who usually picks hard difficulties and enjoys struggling and banging my head against games even, but the controls are not the part I want to have that struggle against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kanfy posted:

I was also in the boat that I didn't mind the difficulty, or the lack of explanations or guidance per se, but I could not get over that control scheme. I don't even mind having to look up things in a wiki in games sometimes, but having to do that with the game's own controls and then spending time memorizing a variety of fiddly maneuvers just so that I could move around in a way that doesn't feel terrible never felt anything but bad.

Like I'm someone who usually picks hard difficulties and enjoys struggling and banging my head against games even, but the controls are not the part I want to have that struggle against.

??? i didn't know about any of the special moves when i first beat the game. i was also playing on ps4 and most of them don't work on a dpad anyway. you don't need them for anything other than speedrunning or sequence breaking