Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

precision posted:

I would assume that the people who literally only play Fortnite are mostly people who probably wouldn't play other games if Fortnite didn't exist

Yeah, this seems like the same crowd that bought the Wii for Wii Sports and never bought another game for the system. Obviously it's understandable why companies would wanna tap into this group of people but it's naive to think a lot of these people are going to suddenly become the types of gamers that own all the systems and have a massive Steam library instead of just going back to not really playing videogames when they get tired of Fortnite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pretty sure fortnite players also play other games on whatever platform theyre on. so mobile or console mainly.

Xegaus
Sep 27, 2006
King of nothing!
Biggoron is cool and all, but gently caress that fetch quest to get it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It took me entirely too long to realize "Biggoron" was supposed to be "Bigg Oron"

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Stux posted:

pretty sure fortnite players also play other games on whatever platform theyre on. so mobile or console mainly.

That's true too, is there a breakdown on what percentage of Fortnite players are on each platform? That'd be interesting to see.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Biggoron sword rules in rando because it isn't usually somewhere horrible and it allows even my dumb rear end to consistently one cycle every boss

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Best tactics is Disgaea and getting the positioning just right to A. unload ten attacks in a row into a single target B. throw a chain of people to the end of the map and work your way back C. use above to clear an entire geo board in one turn. Positioning is also why Into the Breach is second best tactics.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
CEX is good for cheap PS3 and Wii games but I have more than enough of those already. It's also good for children's DVDs as gently caress the digital prices for Disney movies these days

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you guys prefer the “each side takes turns” or the “each character takes turns” style of tactics games?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Depends entirely on the game imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys prefer the “each side takes turns” or the “each character takes turns” style of tactics games?

Sides for sure. My number one pet peeve in them is being unsure whether a position is safe or not. Extremely long-ranged attacks, AoEs, complex turn orders, etc, all make that difficult to judge.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you arent willing to make a sweeping generalization why are you here

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I do like that character-based turn order allows for things like initiative and speed to exist, which can be fun!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my assumption here is that fortnite being the primary game that kids play means that they're not 'growing up with gamestop'.. going to the video game store is not a ritual for them like it was for our generation. so that leaves two markets: low-income families, and people my age that looked up a deal online before deciding to go to an actual brick and mortar store

it makes a lot of sense that foot traffic is down, in that respect. it's not just that digital sales are overtaking physical, but there's no new blood coming in

i just need gamestop to live long enough for me to eventually complete my ps2 jrpg collection (and anything else i feel like grabbing for the system)

Jay Rust posted:

i like turn order rather than sides. they are different philosophies though. one is a 'big picture' kind of strategy akin to a board game, the other is more like a conventional RPG and the strategy is focused on the current moment and what's about to happen

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Gamestop's website is legitimately a pretty good retro game shop

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

I do like that character-based turn order allows for things like initiative and speed to exist, which can be fun!

This is usually where tactics games lose me. I can't keep track of individual character stats enough to take things like speed into account.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

there's no such thing as a good retro game shop that doesn't actually let you look at what you're buying and sends you poo poo in random condition

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

it's way better now that they handle it from distribution warehouses rather than have the retro selection at physical locations where you just get a bunch of duck hunt carts

Phantasium posted:

there's no such thing as a good retro game shop that doesn't actually let you look at what you're buying and sends you poo poo in random condition
instead you can actually get what you want instead of going to a physical store and inspecting the condition of 10 different SNES Jeopardy cartridges

like the condition's going to be random either way, we're talking about old used games

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 19, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically for every gameplay difference between the Fire Emblem brand of SRPGs and the FFT style I prefer FE's take

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically for every gameplay difference between the Fire Emblem brand of SRPGs and the FFT style I prefer FE's take

FE generally wins just because FE has realized that actions and movements should be fast and snappy so turns go fast.

(well, most FEs anyway)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Pouring one out for Funcoland.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One thing I really don’t like in tactics games is traversing a map in combat mode when there’s nothing to do except move.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

instead you can actually get what you want instead of going to a physical store and inspecting the condition of 10 different SNES Jeopardy cartridges

like the condition's going to be random either way, we're talking about old used games

why would you be caring about the chaff, and why would it be random if you get to specifically choose if something looks okay to you...???

i mean, what? this literally makes no sense to me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah the best maps always have something happening and just end when the action would lull

They don't always need to be high-octane (it gets exhausting if every single map is going all-out), but even on a chiller map you can have a consistent level of chill rather than alternating chill and nothing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Every strategy since at least FFT shows a turn order tree. I’ve never loved I-go-you-go unless the design tries to incorporate simultaneous actions (XCOM’s overwatch for example) or balance out the difference between player 1 and 2. A lot of modern skirmish board games will give player 1 the benefit of attacking first but player 2 wins ties or gets the benefit of reacting to player 1’s hard commitment.

Like Fire Emblem is just too basic for me, I will probably not play the other games in the series.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

why would you be caring about the chaff, and why would it be random if you get to specifically choose if something looks okay to you...???

i mean, what? this literally makes no sense to me.
lol what i'm saying is that when gamestop actually carried retro games on location, the SNES Jeopardy and NES Duck Hunt carts were the ONLY thing there

now that it is decentralized you have access to the entire retro catalog that gamestop has, instead of the 30 copies of joe montana's sportstalk football that you'll only find at your local one, because everything else has been swiped the second it is put up

i can get the entire atelier iris trilogy from gamestop online now.. i don't think my local gamestop even carried any of the iris games when they were new. they couldn't even keep stock of all the SMT games. i remember near a decade ago, seeing digital devil saga one day and being like 'holy poo poo you never have this...' now you can just buy it online for $20 new from amazon

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 19, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

Every strategy since at least FFT shows a turn order tree. I’ve never loved I-go-you-go unless the design tries to incorporate simultaneous actions (XCOM’s overwatch for example) or balance out the difference between player 1 and 2. A lot of modern skirmish board games will give player 1 the benefit of attacking first but player 2 wins ties or gets the benefit of reacting to player 1’s hard commitment.

Like Fire Emblem is just too basic for me, I will probably not play the other games in the series.

Which fire emblem did you play because good FE is way more tactically engaging than something like FFT (and I like FFT a lot)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh yeah is Three Houses just easier than other fire emblems or are they all kind of like that? I understand that the rewind feature is new but what about one-shooting everything all the time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The 7th Guest posted:

i remember near a decade ago, seeing digital devil saga one day and being like 'holy poo poo you never have this...' now you can just buy it online for $20 new from amazon

Yeah but it's Amazon so you might still get duck hunt anyway, or a rock

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Oh yeah is Three Houses just easier than other fire emblems or are they all kind of like that? I understand that the rewind feature is new but what about one-shooting everything all the time?

Three houses is indeed easy on hard and trivial on normal. It's definitely way easier than your average FE.

Maddening difficulty which was added later is hard as gently caress though

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

lol what i'm saying is that when gamestop actually carried retro games on location, the SNES Jeopardy and NES Duck Hunt carts were the ONLY thing there

now that it is decentralized you have access to the entire retro catalog that gamestop has, instead of the 30 copies of joe montana's sportstalk football that you'll only find at your local one, because everything else has been swiped the second it is put up

i wasn't talking about gamestop in terms of local stores since around here they haven't had retro stuff in person since before they were called EB. iirc they were done with cartridges the second PS2 rolled around.

i guess i'm spoiled by local stores actually, you know, having a selection. all I was commenting on was that you get stuff from gamestop in random condition and it's cool to inspect things in person to actually know what you're getting instead of buying stuff from a website that just has generic listings for each game. maybe gamestop has improved their offerings by putting this stuff on a listing online but that just goes to show how garbage they were to begin with.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yeah but it's Amazon so you might still get duck hunt anyway, or a rock
that IS true. the only lemon i've gotten from online purchases was from amazon-- a copy of valkyrie profile 2 for ps2 that couldn't get past the title screen without read errors

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

to be fair my launch copy of VP2 had issues with crashing in the first or second dungeon and that's why i never bothered playing it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

Three houses is indeed easy on hard and trivial on normal. It's definitely way easier than your average FE.

Maddening difficulty which was added later is hard as gently caress though

It’s the bad kind of hard

FFT specifically is made great because of the job and ability system; combat is merely the playground

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

i wasn't talking about gamestop in terms of local stores since around here they haven't had retro stuff in person since before they were called EB. iirc they were done with cartridges the second PS2 rolled around.
not everyone has that kind of local store, unfortunately. for years the only 'nerd store' near me was about 40 minutes away and their selection was not only garbage, but the few games they did have were marked up above what the games would cost on ebay

now that i live in a major city, i have access to one that... well, it's still a half hour away actually, but it has a better selection at least. still a lot of gaps though (RPGs especially), which is where gamestop dot com fills in

like i've gotten some goofy stuff like cold winter, nanobreaker, headhunter, winback, tokobot from local shop. but had to get wild arms 4, the last story, radiata stories, and shadow hearts from the new world, online

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 19, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Final Fantassy Crapshits

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

It’s the bad kind of hard

FFT specifically is made great because of the job and ability system; combat is merely the playground

Yeah I agree with maddening being too hard. I had fun with my maddening playthrough but it was really annoying at times.

Apparently the new DLC (which is like a 8 hour mini campaign) is pretty great on the difficulty front but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

Which fire emblem did you play because good FE is way more tactically engaging than something like FFT (and I like FFT a lot)

I’ve only played 3H for an extended length of time and it’s just too basic for my taste. Boss monsters are awesome, I wish every fight was a puzzle like that, but maps are flat and expansive when I prefer small and highly detailed. I have more experience with Advance Wars and similar complaints about those games.

Honestly the best battle system I’ve seen in a tactical video game is Card Hunters which makes full use of movement, terrain, and area control without being muddy. It’s like someone took 4E d&d and made a card game out of it.

Maybe with Slay the Spire introducing gamers to board game concepts a new generation of designers will turn to like Gloomhaven for inspiration because that’s the best in turn based tactics design in a modern game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

al-azad posted:

Maybe with Slay the Spire introducing gamers to board game concepts a new generation of designers will turn to like Gloomhaven for inspiration because that’s the best in turn based tactics design in a modern game.

lol it's way late to that party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

not everyone has that kind of local store, unfortunately. for years the only 'nerd store' near me was about 40 minutes away and their selection was not only garbage, but the few games they did have were marked up above what the games would cost on ebay

now that i live in a major city, i have access to one that... well, it's still a half hour away actually, but it has a better selection at least. still a lot of gaps though (RPGs especially), which is where gamestop dot com fills in

like i've gotten some goofy stuff like cold winter, nanobreaker, headhunter, winback, tokobot from local shop. but had to get wild arms 4, the last story, radiata stories, and shadow hearts from the new world, online

yeah there's a store not far from me that has Panzer Dragoon Saga, Rule of Rose, a ton of other games just available.

Not that I'm going to be paying their asking prices for the first two there ever (even though they're pretty fair compared to eBay).

this is in addition to like, 2 other chains that exist around here that i'm less fond of but still have okay selections occasionally.