Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Coma wasn’t Crichton, that was Robin Cook. I only know that from binging IDEOTV over the last month.
I mean he did direct it. I could have sworn it was based on a novel of his. He just directed, which makes sense. I had no problem believing the story was something Crichton would adhere to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Coma wasn’t Crichton, that was Robin Cook. I only know that from binging IDEOTV over the last month.

Cook wrote the novel, Crichton wrote the screenplay. It's reasonable to call him out for glossing over plot holes.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do not, I repeat: do not wipe with your phone.

Captain Monkey posted:

That explains your post history.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Serious question: how often do Australians actually say “mate” in conversation?

Slippery posted:

One assumes not all the time

You know, intermatently

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1229715325324795904

Dick Dorkins is just gonna tweet through it folks

sassassin posted:

Would you eat human meat if you could sit next to the guy it "came from" and see that he was whole and fine and happy for the company in his failing human meat restaurant?

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
serving human placenta is exactly the kind of poo poo i'd expect someone named hugh fearnley-whittingstall to do

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

hallelujah posted:

serving human placenta is exactly the kind of poo poo i'd expect someone named hugh fearnley-whittingstall to do

Very similar energy to the guy who proposed Britain raise ostriches for meat and ate Louis XIV's heart.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Whiz Palace posted:

Very similar energy to the guy who proposed Britain raise ostriches for meat and ate Louis XIV's heart.

Ostrich is actually pretty good meat, at a music festival once our booth was next to a pair of dudes selling ostrich burgers. We did wind up taking home a lot of meat they couldn't sell, but it was tasty nonetheless. I don't remember how it compares to beef, though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Whiz Palace posted:

A better proposition than "let's fill America with hippos and hunt them for meat."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

A better proposition than "let's fill America with hippos and hunt them for meat."

But we're already halfway to that goal.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

NO
SLEEP
TIL HIPPO

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Anidav posted:

Banjo Kazooie 2020

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

please, there's already enough jinjoism in politics

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Does anyone have the epic cooking for dudes glass of water comic. Early 2010's fyad I think.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Dareon posted:

Ostrich is actually pretty good meat, at a music festival once our booth was next to a pair of dudes selling ostrich burgers. We did wind up taking home a lot of meat they couldn't sell, but it was tasty nonetheless. I don't remember how it compares to beef, though.

I'm rereading the PYF unnerving articles thread and there's a post by a goon who was arrested in Arizona and shared his experience in the infamous Tent City and mentioned the meals made from cheap ostrich meat.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ostrich is goddamned delicious.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
They sell ostrich and yak meat at the grocery store down the street from me.

Also all socal goons should go to OSTRICH LAND and get an egg or ostrich jerky.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/paulio81s/status/1229795842887909377

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

NO
SLEEP
TIL HIPPO

I'M THE loving HIPPO GUY

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my house was a few properties across from an ostrich farm. i didn't realise it was there until i was driving through the back roads one day, looked to my left, saw a bunch of ostriches chilling out beneath the gum trees and almost crashed my car

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
occasionally the ostrich farm would sell excess chicks on the local buy swap 'n' sell for obscenely low prices and i have never been so tempted by anything in my life

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

hallelujah posted:

occasionally the ostrich farm would sell excess chicks on the local buy swap 'n' sell for obscenely low prices and i have never been so tempted by anything in my life

What sort of dishes would you use them in?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The world’s largest turducken.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Captain Monkey posted:

The world’s largest turducken.

Start with the ostrich and work your way down to the hummingbird.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kuros posted:

Start with the ostrich and work your way down to the hummingbird.

I would like to see some math/cooking nerd do an effortpost on the theoretical largest possible turducken. Ostrich -> Rhea -> Emperor Penguin -> etc.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Alligator, or crocodile, can't remember which it was, is pretty good too.tastes like salty chicken iirc.cant remember what ostrich meat tasted like.probably also chicken.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I grew up on an ostrich farm. My parents started raising them very early on in the ostrich bubble that happened in the US in the late 80s and 90s because our neighbor was an exotic animal guy and was part of the original group that started the "industry" back then.

The hope was that they would take off as another type of meat and had the potential to become similar to cattle farming. It was mainly a bunch of rich guys at the beginning who traded them for stupid amounts of money at the beginning. My parents were getting 40k-75k for a good breeding pair and chicks would sell for $2,500 and it was easy to raise a ton.

The insane prices were because of their rarity in the states at the time. What actually happened was that every livestock person saw how much money could be made and started buying in. This created and sustained a bubble for 6-8 years before the market saturated and everybody looked around and realized they had a bunch of giant birds that nobody wanted the meat of and nobody else wanted to buy in at those prices and they became worthless over night and sold for less than the cost of feeding them.

My mom had begged for my dad to get out of the business that year and he wanted one more year and promised he would sell out then. He lost a fuckload of money, but since we had been poor before he got in and had several years of making six figures he came out ahead overall and then proceeded to lose it in another venture that actually would have worked but ran into extremely bad luck.

And that's how my family went from poor to rich and ended up solidly middle class because of giant birds and the weird decade of optimism that was the late 80s/early 90s

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ariong posted:

What sort of dishes would you use them in?
i would train them to tow a whimsical fruit cart

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

D-Pad posted:

I grew up on an ostrich farm. My parents started raising them very early on in the ostrich bubble that happened in the US in the late 80s and 90s because our neighbor was an exotic animal guy and was part of the original group that started the "industry" back then.

The hope was that they would take off as another type of meat and had the potential to become similar to cattle farming. It was mainly a bunch of rich guys at the beginning who traded them for stupid amounts of money at the beginning. My parents were getting 40k-75k for a good breeding pair and chicks would sell for $2,500 and it was easy to raise a ton.

The insane prices were because of their rarity in the states at the time. What actually happened was that every livestock person saw how much money could be made and started buying in. This created and sustained a bubble for 6-8 years before the market saturated and everybody looked around and realized they had a bunch of giant birds that nobody wanted the meat of and nobody else wanted to buy in at those prices and they became worthless over night and sold for less than the cost of feeding them.

My mom had begged for my dad to get out of the business that year and he wanted one more year and promised he would sell out then. He lost a fuckload of money, but since we had been poor before he got in and had several years of making six figures he came out ahead overall and then proceeded to lose it in another venture that actually would have worked but ran into extremely bad luck.

And that's how my family went from poor to rich and ended up solidly middle class because of giant birds and the weird decade of optimism that was the late 80s/early 90s
lol i just went to post this in the funny quotes thread but guess what!

sorry about your family fortune, at least you got a unique story out of it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

That’s crazy.

Let’s put it all into ostrich breeding!
*years later*
We’re rich! Just as planned. Now for a more reasonable business vent-OH GOD WE’VE LOST EVERYTHING

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

D-Pad posted:

My old man bought in just before everyone stopped caring. I think he still had them when I graduated HS and hosed off(1998), but I don't know what he ultimately did with them. He was always looking into those libertarian self-made millionaire schemes, but I think that's the only one he ever went in on, and that was definitely his "once bitten". I think he raises goats now just to do something with the massive pens he built.

and ostrich meat sucks

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The bitcoin of the 80s to 90s.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Clitch posted:

My old man bought in just before everyone stopped caring. I think he still had them when I graduated HS and hosed off(1998), but I don't know what he ultimately did with them. He was always looking into those libertarian self-made millionaire schemes, but I think that's the only one he ever went in on, and that was definitely his "once bitten". I think he raises goats now just to do something with the massive pens he built.

and ostrich meat sucks

I’m sorry your Dad lost riches from his ostriches.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I grew up on an ostrich farm.

I'm not racist but there are too many birds here!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hihohe posted:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Because neither one will ever take off.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

It was chinchillas, wasn't it

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ariong posted:

That’s crazy.

Let’s put it all into ostrich breeding!
*years later*
We’re rich! Just as planned. Now for a more reasonable business vent-OH GOD WE’VE LOST EVERYTHING

:emptyquote:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I heard emu farming was a big thing around then as well, there was a King of the Hill episode about a guy trying to get rid of his emus. Also, the way Americans, or at least Texans, pronounce 'Emu' is goddamn hilarious.

Apparently they were marketed as something like 'bigger, better chicken'. I think there might have been attempts at kangaroo farming too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

🎶I love ostriches cuz they're soooo delicious🎶

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard emu farming was a big thing around then as well, there was a King of the Hill episode about a guy trying to get rid of his emus. Also, the way Americans, or at least Texans, pronounce 'Emu' is goddamn hilarious.

Apparently they were marketed as something like 'bigger, better chicken'. I think there might have been attempts at kangaroo farming too.

please never forget one man's quest to convince everyone to farm hippos