Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Trying to find out what the new sewer house characters look like post time skip but googling fire emblem yuri is getting me nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

lol it's way late to that party

Ehhh I mean board games and video games have shared a lot of ideas but until the past couple of years they’ve existed in their own world. Even the Battletech game is different from its tabletop incarnation in good and bad ways. I’ve never seen deck builder used in the context of a video game until StS and there’s a bunch of wonderful tactical games that can be mined. If I was a game dev I’d totally be ripping off Combat Commander for a squad based tactical game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

al-azad posted:

Ehhh I mean board games and video games have shared a lot of ideas but until the past couple of years they’ve existed in their own world. Even the Battletech game is different from its tabletop incarnation in good and bad ways. I’ve never seen deck builder used in the context of a video game until StS and there’s a bunch of wonderful tactical games that can be mined. If I was a game dev I’d totally be ripping off Combat Commander for a squad based tactical game.

Even then, XCOM 2, Witcher 3, Civ, Hand of Fate, Tharsis, and countless more have beaten it to that punch. A lot of tactic and strategy games are influenced by layout, mechanics, and presentation of physical games (generally for the better imo, though Tharsis kind of sucked). Not to mention Hearthstone and friends.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

why are you taking a picture instead of petting me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I do like that character-based turn order allows for things like initiative and speed to exist, which can be fun!

i generally like this but don't like speed becoming a god stat like it is in most strategy games

tactics ogre gba does player phase-enemy phase and lets you do goofy combos to end a map in half a turn which is fun tho

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

good cat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

yeah there's a store not far from me that has Panzer Dragoon Saga, Rule of Rose, a ton of other games just available.

Not that I'm going to be paying their asking prices for the first two there ever (even though they're pretty fair compared to eBay).

this is in addition to like, 2 other chains that exist around here that i'm less fond of but still have okay selections occasionally.
that's fuckin' wild

rarest thing i saw at a local store was maybe azure dreams for ps1? nothing rarer than that though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

Every strategy since at least FFT shows a turn order tree. I’ve never loved I-go-you-go unless the design tries to incorporate simultaneous actions (XCOM’s overwatch for example) or balance out the difference between player 1 and 2. A lot of modern skirmish board games will give player 1 the benefit of attacking first but player 2 wins ties or gets the benefit of reacting to player 1’s hard commitment.

Like Fire Emblem is just too basic for me, I will probably not play the other games in the series.

Not trying to convince you otherwise since it's obviously a matter of personal preference, but to provide an opposing viewpoint:

Fire Emblem does provide simultaneous actions, in the form of counterattacks. In fact, the default scenario is that, no matter what the relative army sizes, both armies get the exact same number of actions, because every attack triggers a counterattack. In order to break action parity, you have to employ some amount of cleverness. This is a place where I feel like a lot of strategy games fall flat, by having numbers matter more than action economy, because that has to be the case if you're outnumbered and there's no mechanic to smooth out the action advantage.

Ultimately though FE is at it's best when there's timed side objectives which you can miss if you aren't fast enough, because aggressive play is both more fun than cautious play, but also riskier, so the player needs an incentive to avoid doing the boring-but-safe strategy. Timed side objectives have mostly been phased out of the modern series though. The last non-remake to have them consistently in most maps was Path of Radiance, for the Gamecube. It sucks.

The 7th Guest posted:

i can get the entire atelier iris trilogy from gamestop online now

wouldn't recommend it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

wouldn't recommend it
i'm not in a hurry on that. i have mana khemia 1 first to play. then if i enjoy it, i'd maybe get iris 1 and 2, but not bother with 3

i know jrpg trilogies always have a bad game of the trilogy. ff13-1, xenosaga 2, atelier totori

trails of cold steel 1 because people love cold steel so i assume i just played the bad one

Weedle
May 31, 2006

al-azad posted:

there have been digital board games for a long time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm not in a hurry on that. i have mana khemia 1 first to play. then if i enjoy it, i'd maybe get iris 1 and 2, but not bother with 3

i know jrpg trilogies always have a bad game of the trilogy. ff13-1, xenosaga 2, atelier totori

Honestly Iris 3 is the only PS2 Atelier I particularly like so I would recommend the exact opposite of that

Everybody in the world but me likes Mana Khemia though

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Looper posted:

why are you taking a picture instead of petting me

after i shat my pants on our date i thought you were done with me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are unplayably slow to me now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are unplayably slow to me now

Radiant Dawn has an option to completely skip all battle animations...but only after you beat the game once lol

PoR is almost unplayable though yeah. A hypothetical PoR remake that changes nothing other than adding modern QoL would be amazing though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m trying an evil playthrough of Baldur’s Gate 1, to keep my evil companions I have no choice but to kill a room full of commoners every now and again to keep my reputation from growing too high from all of the quests I’m doing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Even then, XCOM 2, Witcher 3, Civ, Hand of Fate, Tharsis, and countless more have beaten it to that punch. A lot of tactic and strategy games are influenced by layout, mechanics, and presentation of physical games (generally for the better imo, though Tharsis kind of sucked). Not to mention Hearthstone and friends.

There’s a certain level of “cheating” these games get away with that’s antithetical to how pure I would prefer them. What I’m saying is Slay the Spire and Card Hunters could actually function as physical games with no hand waving.

cheetah7071 posted:

Not trying to convince you otherwise since it's obviously a matter of personal preference, but to provide an opposing viewpoint:

Fire Emblem does provide simultaneous actions, in the form of counterattacks. In fact, the default scenario is that, no matter what the relative army sizes, both armies get the exact same number of actions, because every attack triggers a counterattack. In order to break action parity, you have to employ some amount of cleverness. This is a place where I feel like a lot of strategy games fall flat, by having numbers matter more than action economy, because that has to be the case if you're outnumbered and there's no mechanic to smooth out the action advantage.

Ultimately though FE is at it's best when there's timed side objectives which you can miss if you aren't fast enough, because aggressive play is both more fun than cautious play, but also riskier, so the player needs an incentive to avoid doing the boring-but-safe strategy. Timed side objectives have mostly been phased out of the modern series though. The last non-remake to have them consistently in most maps was Path of Radiance, for the Gamecube. It sucks.

wouldn't recommend it

Factoring wt and counterattacking is the highlight of my FE sessions. But yes, what it comes down to is that I prefer the intimacy of a FFT style game. Small maps, multiple terrain types, height differences, the weirder the more interested I am.

Like I wish Mario Rabbids caught on more, it was like the weird rear end 3D movement of disgaea, destructible cover, multiple terrain effects, Xcom concepts, but still had FE style of no ambiguity to when a character would go or no confusion over damage. You either have 100% to hit or 50% the rest of the game is closing the gap.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

after i shat my pants on our date i thought you were done with me

oh please, chili dogs have that effect on everyone

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Weedle posted:

there have been digital board games for a long time

And they’re almost always bad because they get cheap studios to port them.

Tabletop Simulator is the go-to and that’s just sad!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

al-azad posted:

There’s a certain level of “cheating” these games get away with that’s antithetical to how pure I would prefer them. What I’m saying is Slay the Spire and Card Hunters could actually function as physical games with no hand waving.

Factoring wt and counterattacking is the highlight of my FE sessions. But yes, what it comes down to is that I prefer the intimacy of a FFT style game. Small maps, multiple terrain types, height differences, the weirder the more interested I am.

Like I wish Mario Rabbids caught on more, it was like the weird rear end 3D movement of disgaea, destructible cover, multiple terrain effects, Xcom concepts, but still had FE style of no ambiguity to when a character would go or no confusion over damage. You either have 100% to hit or 50% the rest of the game is closing the gap.

XCOM 2 could with some dice (and its prototypes literally were iirc), Civ arguably could (or at least it's been abstracted to a board game) but its calculations are intense. Tharsis is literally a board game.

Most turn-based games and older DnD games, which were based off the rules exactly could actually, though you'd need a pen and paper.

I guess if you want "literally just a board game" there are fewer to choose from but a lot of games derive from that, it's been a thing for a while

quote:

Ticket to Ride was shockingly lovely as a port.

Talisman is pure and good as a computer game because it exemplifies nihilism and bullshit and somehow cannot actually add correctly. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 19, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Trying to find out what the new sewer house characters look like post time skip but googling fire emblem yuri is getting me nowhere

Yuri might be one of the gayest characters I have ever seen in a Fire Emblem game, it's wild

He's got better eyeshadow than some women I know

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

drat, those heels

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

drat, those heels

they heard the gay community bitching about their lack of options and made this the BL DLC

Weedle
May 31, 2006

al-azad posted:

Tabletop Simulator is the go-to and that’s just sad!

I guess it depends on which ones you try. I've played excellent digital versions of Carcassonne, Through the Ages, Evolution, Legends of Andor, One Deck Dungeon, among others, although I've also tried a fair few that were obviously phoned in.

RBA Starblade posted:

XCOM 2 could with some dice (and its prototypes literally were iirc), Civ arguably could (or at least it's been abstracted to a board game) but its calculations are intense. Tharsis is literally a board game.

Most turn-based games and older DnD games, which were based off the rules exactly could actually, though you'd need a pen and paper.

I guess if you want "literally just a board game" there are fewer to choose from but a lot of games derive from that, it's been a thing for a while

Civilization was originally based on a board game, also called "Civilization" but totally unrelated to the later, official board game of Sid Meier's Civilization. It's pretty good!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grapplejack posted:

they heard the gay community bitching about their lack of options and made this the BL DLC

Yeah there's tons of male gayness (Blue Lions is practically a shoujo manga) but almost none of it is directed at the player, compared to tons of lesbian options for the player.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weedle posted:

Civilization was originally based on a board game, also called "Civilization" but totally unrelated to the later, official board game of Sid Meier's Civilization. It's pretty good!

I didn't know that! Neat

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Apparently naming the game "Sid Meier's Civilization" was Robin Williams' idea! It's a shame he's dead :smith:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Oh my god there's finally going to be a new English-language version of the original Civilization board game. We've been playing a German version with translation cheat sheets. Thank christ

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/267304/western-empires

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The best thing to come out of Riot is Mechs vs Minions, a tower defense boardgame where you program the turn by turn play of giant robots.

And I forgot about the Through the Ages port, the included scenarios are brutal as hell

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Ticket to Ride was shockingly lovely as a port.

Talisman is pure and good as a computer game because it exemplifies nihilism and bullshit and somehow cannot actually add correctly. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

europa universalis is based on a board game and then they made a new board game of it based on the video games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish there were more 18xx video games but all we got afaik is 1830 railways and robber barons which was by Francis Tresham who created Civilization (RIP he passed last year).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

The best thing to come out of Riot is Mechs vs Minions, a tower defense boardgame where you program the turn by turn play of giant robots.a
lol what would it even be like if the minions piloted a mech!! i bet they'd be like WAAAAAAA BANANA and the robot woulde xplode XD

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

friend have you looked at the under $5 section on steam

Yes.

Yes I have.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Had my first day of work. Did so well at vendor management I completed a 2-day task in two hours.
Also my breaks and lunch count as pay.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Grouchio posted:

Had my first day of work. Did so well at vendor management I completed a 2-day task in two hours.

Congrats on the first day! Glad everything went well for you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my current to-get list:

PS2: Atelier Iris series, Gungrave games, Magna Carta, Ape Escape 3, Dual Hearts, Klonoa 2, Shadow of Rome, Shinobi, Nightshade, King's Field the Ancient City, Devil Summoner 2, Musashi Samurai Legend, Bujungai: the Forsaken City, Crimson Sea 2, Metal Saga, Skygunner, Suikoden V, Magic Pengel, Under the Skin, Eternal Ring eventually I guess, Wild Arms 5

Wii: Lost in Shadow, Heavenly Guardian, Rune Factory: Frontier

DS/3DS: Henry Hatsworth, Bangai-O Spirits, Ninja Gaiden DS, Tales of the Abyss, FF: 4 Heroes of Light, Etrian V and Nexus, Contra 4, maaaybe Phantasy Star 0?, Lunar Knights, Okamiden, SMT Strange Journey (not sure whether I should go with original or Redux), SMT Soul Hackers, 7th Dragon III, Alliance Alive, Legend of Legacy, Bravely Default/Second, Dragon Quest 4-6 (might get them on mobile instead though), Sigma Star Saga (GBA)

a couple of the ps2 games are on PS3 through PSN so I might go that route for those games.. just depends on how much longer my fat ps3 wants to hold out (maybe it's about time I homebrewed it??)

e: I guess I have fewer PS2 JRPGs to get than I remembered but it's mostly because I've snagged a lot of the ones I've waited on for a long time. the remaining ones I haven't bought/played/beaten that I am not currently interested in: Ar Tonelico series, Arc the Lad 5, Baroque, any SRPG, Dawn of Mana, Dirge of Cerebus, Evergrace, Forever Kingdom, Grandia Xtreme, Jade Cocoon 2, The Legend of Alon D'ar, Orphen, Shining Tears, Tales of Legendia, Virtua Quest lol, Wild Arms Alter Code F, Ephemeral Phantasia. I think that covers just about everything

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 19, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Grouchio posted:

you hosed up on your very first day. never do things quicker than you're expected to

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*pounds table*

Klonoa 2! Klonoa 2!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

Yuri might be one of the gayest characters I have ever seen in a Fire Emblem game, it's wild

He's got better eyeshadow than some women I know

He wears more makeup than any female character and yet there's no gay panic jokes in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

you hosed up on your very first day. never do things quicker than you're expected to