Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
NXT stopped being good once Gargano-Ciampa I occurred. That is the last point i can say unequivocally NXT was great. The writing was in the wall when their second match got gimmick changed be ause the main roster wanted it for who loving remembers and then WWE started to infest NXT more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Much like WrestleMania XXX was the series finale of WWE, Gargano/Almas was the series finale of Good NXT.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Seams posted:

Is Dijak still doing that weird racist “bloodline” gimmick

No, it hasn't been brought up since it was initially posted here. I don't remember if it was ever referenced on TV.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I fell off the nxt train when Derrick bateman and Maxine left the show

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I felt it at the time and I stand by it. The final days of NXT's prime run was Almas as champ. It was downhill from there.

Same, nothing has reached the heights of Almas vs Gargano for me since

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I sometimes forget Aleister Black even held the NXT Title, seems like it was just for like a month or something and then he lost it, was called up, and was never heard from again. loving shame that Almas and Black were called up because it felt like too soon and they haven't been treated nearly as big a deal as they should be on main roster.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NXT is still the best WWE product but it's still a WWE product and has had a really rough year. The more the line between main roster and NXT has broken down the less I've been interested.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

NXT is still the best WWE product but it's still a WWE product and has had a really rough year. The more the line between main roster and NXT has broken down the less I've been interested.

yea this is exactly how i feel, ill keep watching takeovers and i enjoyed the heck out of portland but im not really interested in watching the weekly show right now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the trap they've fallen into is that they've decided to grow the brand by trying to integrate it with the other two, which is antithetical to what got it the buzz it had. It was "not-WWE" but still had all the convenience and production value OF WWE without you having to do anything hard like... go to a different website or change the channel. The more it's clear that it's just a third show, the more that shine gets lost and it's shown by the fact that their primary audience on TV is the over 50s. The only people that the integration works on is the ones watching Raw, and that's not who they should be aiming for.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It’s kind of funny all the times Dijac would chat at me when I still had the black lives matter twitter avi.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I think the trap they've fallen into is that they've decided to grow the brand by trying to integrate it with the other two, which is antithetical to what got it the buzz it had. It was "not-WWE" but still had all the convenience and production value OF WWE without you having to do anything hard like... go to a different website or change the channel. The more it's clear that it's just a third show, the more that shine gets lost and it's shown by the fact that their primary audience on TV is the over 50s. The only people that the integration works on is the ones watching Raw, and that's not who they should be aiming for.

I feel like it is more that the narrative of NXT being 'not-WWE' got exposed when the show was moved to USA and you saw, oh it isn't this magic bullet that people between the demo WWE thinks it's for and the demo the bad three letter company is reallly for. When it was on the network you could watch it and a talk about it with the subset of fans that watch it, and convince yourself that it had appeal an a alternative, but when it went to TV the mask was off, it is the third string show by the bad company and also a clear pawn in the war with a real alternative.

The show was never as popular as it was talked about, simply because the people that could talk about it could get access to it as a side matter on a WWE platform. Self-hating bad company customers.

Then they changed the product and integrated it and it became the bottom of the barrel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All wrestling companies are bad companies.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So by definition the biggest company is also the baddest and gets the crown made a evil.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If NXT aired live and commercial-free on the network, there's a good chance I would've kept watching it live on Wednesdays and DVRed Dynamite just so I could skip the ads. Moving NXT to USA made it possible for me to instantly and directly compare NXT with Dynamite, and Dynamite easily won that comparison. So instead of being a reliable NXT viewer, I now don't even have a network subscription. Maybe I'm alone in this but for me at least this whole thing completely blew up in their faces.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
The NXT replays don't even get posted reliably 24 hours later it seems, so now more often than not when I'd normally watch NXT sometime at my own convenience it's not up, and watching a TV show at a set time is for suckers and boomers, so I rarely watch Dynamite live. The net result is I'm watching less wrestling overall now, and I probably will end up cancelling my Network sub soon.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dynamite is absolutely worth watching live

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I like it just fine but the only show that has been good enough to make me remember to watch it when it was on was The Good Place, and even then I'd forget about a third of the episodes and watch it on demand the next day.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dynamite feels like a spectacle.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the big thing in question here is that Dynamite moves. The pacing of the show is always moving forward and usually quickly. That's what makes it compelling to watch live in the same way sports and events are. The whole thing feels "live".

NXT for whatever differences it may or may not have with RAW and SD has the same "WWE style" of pacing where there's a methodical movement from segment to segment, lots of replays, long introductions and interviews, etc. That's in all of WWE's live programming from RAW to Wrestlemania. I assume that stuff was there before NXT was on USA but probably without commercials and in a taped, trimmed format it moved a bit quicker and felt different. When you throw it on USA live, with commercials, and against Dynamite contrast it really shows up.

At least that was my take when I tried to give NXT a try when it debuted on USA. I ultimately just never got into the flow of anything because of the "WWE Style". Even the matches tended to have a kind of "intro, rest section, finish" sequence that "slowed" them down to me.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
NXT was never really watched live with a live discussion thread before. Now that it's live, it has become apparent that nobody really watches it.

And now that it has commercials, I've realized how much I loving HATE the WWE style of showing commercials. Where they show the full entrances, start the match for about a minute, then cut to a commercial immediately. They'll show Tynara Conti vs. Kayden Carter in full, but an actual title match they cut away 2 or 3 times from. And now they are only doing PIP during the first and last commercial break.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's the thing with the match formula I was trying to describe. Even if you get 2 wrestlers I like in the ring I kind of know I can watch the first 2 minutes, then tune out for a commercial break and extended rest and "middle" period, and then just tune back in when the pace of the match speeds up to indicate we're headed to the finish. I may not want to tune out for that middle but the commercial placement and formulaic pacing just makes it happen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sometimes I will put on a soccer match I don't really care about and gently caress around on my computer, knowing that I can pay attention whenever the commentators start yelling and probably won't miss anything interesting. That's basically what watching NXT is like, except the cues have to be more subtle since the yelling doesn't stop.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember when NXT was a full sail produce and it was a vastly different beast than what it is now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I remember when NXT was a game show that the WWE just gave up on and then was WWE's version of ECW again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I remember when NXT was Yoshi Tatsu and Tyson Kidd feuding over an action figure and Johnny Curtis chloroforming people

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

karmicknight posted:

I remember when NXT was a game show that the WWE just gave up on and then was WWE's version of ECW again.

That whole transition was so weird because you had Michael Cole and josh Mathews leading fans in hate watching the show. Then they turned it into a Cole angle and NXT went on to be preshow matches they bothered to tape.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

coconono posted:

That whole transition was so weird because you had Michael Cole and josh Mathews leading fans in hate watching the show. Then they turned it into a Cole angle and NXT went on to be preshow matches they bothered to tape.

it was weird but it lead to this:

Rarity posted:

I remember when NXT was Yoshi Tatsu and Tyson Kidd feuding over an action figure and Johnny Curtis chloroforming people

so it was all worth it in the end.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

karmicknight posted:

I will always remember that I stopped watching NXT in that era, then decided to tune into an episode of "NXT Redeption" and Titus was on screen giving an interview saying "So I have 42 redemption points, whatever those are..." and just tuned out immediately based on his enthusiasm for what was happening.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Astro7x posted:

I will always remember that I stopped watching NXT in that era, then decided to tune into an episode of "NXT Redeption" and Titus was on screen giving an interview saying "So I have 42 redemption points, whatever those are..." and just tuned out immediately based on his enthusiasm for what was happening.

See, it went down from there and because this perfect avant-garde version of a WWE show. It went through the looking glass and the explicit goal of every character on the show was to escape the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Astro7x posted:

I stopped watching during the game show era and came back and Fandango, EC3, and Katrina were in some weird kidnapping soap opera or something and I had no idea what was going on.

I've always kind of meant to go back and watch how the gently caress all that happened.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astro7x posted:

NXT was never really watched live with a live discussion thread before. Now that it's live, it has become apparent that nobody really watches it.

I think that's somewhat harsh in that as a streaming show previously it just had a different weight. No-one gets butthurt about not liveposting episodes of Stranger Things or The Mandalorian, because that's not how you consume that kind of content, you watch it when you want and then can discuss it after.

I do think WWE somehow convinced themselves that the niche audience of NXT was somehow much, much bigger than the niche audience for AEW and THAT got exposed by putting them head to head.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Stranger Things and Mandalorian eps were usually uploaded by their respective streaming services in the dead of night/early morning while everyone's sleeping because that's when their usual mass-content release schedule tends to be. Same thing with Picard, weekly eps go up on CBS All Access at 3AM Eastern. Very few people are up then to livewatch

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I love how they spent a half-decade marketing themselves as the "cool hip alternative" and then we finally got actual demo numbers and it's just the same people watching the main roster, only in much smaller numbers.

If you think they aren't embarrassed, look at Hunter having to mumble "I'm not owned" every time someone puts a microphone in front of him.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
olds leave the usa network on in the background because of the ncis, law and order, and chicago pd reruns and fall asleep before the wrestling comes on

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

~750k viewers a week isn’t bad tho. But those viewers are from the existing WWE viewership and the actual unique viewers(that is people who turned on NXT but don’t watch other WWE products) is much much lower. My napkin math has it at about 10k uniques which is right on the sampling noise margin.

What this means is if WWE thought NXT was going to onboard a bunch of new fans, they were way off the mark.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Only WWE know the exact viewership of NXT in the network and how ratings compare on USA.

The thing is we know that viewership for NXT never exceeded Network subscribers. They have a little less than 1 million US WWE Network subscribers, and on a good day NXT does 800K on USA in the US. It’s very possible that NXT on USA is attracting very few new viewers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Now, on one level, getting USA to pay for content they were already producing, albeit with slightly increased costs due to going live every week and (in theory) upping talent pay, is a net positive for WWE as a corporation, but we all know it wasn't the reason they did it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I need Finn to run all over Adam Cole and be very handsome doing it.

:laffo: holy poo poo this is the first time I'm seeing that bee/bullet helmet it's so loving bad and glorious.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Keith Lee is so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Please Dom and Keith seal your love with man kisses.