Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I have a success story thanks to that thread, where simply saying, "No, that's not enough" got my current company to increase their offer by $32,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Baronash posted:

Unrelated to that, I finally got a bit of movement after three months of job searching! I'm doing a phone interview next week, and I'm trying to keep my expectations low. Just feels good to know that at least one of my applications has been read by an actual human being.

This interview happened! I think I did well enough.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 7, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I look forward to the magical far-flung day where I have a reason to care about the negotiations thread, as the advice in there really is awesome.

Though something tells me the only two fields I have any interest in/qualifications for (academia and government) are least-likely to have the ability to add $10,000 to your salary through negotiations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hoodwinker posted:

I have a success story thanks to that thread, where simply saying, "No, that's not enough" got my current company to increase their offer by $32,000.

WAY TO GO

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

I look forward to the magical far-flung day where I have a reason to care about the negotiations thread, as the advice in there really is awesome.

Though something tells me the only two fields I have any interest in/qualifications for (academia and government) are least-likely to have the ability to add $10,000 to your salary through negotiations.

my girlfriend asked for more money on the basis of her education when starting at a crown corporation - basically an arm's length government organization, organized by the government workers' union with strictly defined pay scales and benefit plans. She was able to get a few thousand extra per year by negotiating to be started at a higher level on the pay schedule. It's not 10k but it was certainly worth her effort to push for it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Makeout Patrol posted:

my girlfriend asked for more money on the basis of her education when starting at a crown corporation - basically an arm's length government organization, organized by the government workers' union with strictly defined pay scales and benefit plans. She was able to get a few thousand extra per year by negotiating to be started at a higher level on the pay schedule. It's not 10k but it was certainly worth her effort to push for it.
Negotiating is the easily the most lucrative time to money ratio of any activity you can possibly do in the normal course of your life.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Good to know, thanks; "starting any higher on the regimented pay scale" is certainly still a goal well-worth learning good negotiation tactics for.

Now I am going to start hardball negotiation tactics with this thread. I need at least 10 more posts per week if I am going to be able to justify the bookmark

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dr. Quarex posted:

Good to know, thanks; "starting any higher on the regimented pay scale" is certainly still a goal well-worth learning good negotiation tactics for.

Now I am going to start hardball negotiation tactics with this thread. I need at least 10 more posts per week if I am going to be able to justify the bookmark

Hey Dr. Quarex, its great to hear you value the content of the thread. It sounds like we both want to improve the outcomes of people resumes. I believe that 10 posts per week quota threatens common goal of successful resume improvements. For that reason I have to decline.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Maybe a dumb question, but if a company asks someone to fly to their corporate headquarters for an interview, is it presumed that they pay for the flight?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Rock My Socks! posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but if a company asks someone to fly to their corporate headquarters for an interview, is it presumed that they pay for the flight?

Yes

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rock My Socks! posted:

Ive seen plenty of smaller companies try to not do this. If they want to interview you but not pay for a flight, offer a skype interview. Do not go on your dime.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Rock My Socks! posted:

Yes that is the normal expectation, but if they don't actually buy the ticket and you don't have a promise of reimbursement in writing, then you're going to end up paying for it yourself. Don't be shy about specifying.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rock My Socks! posted:

In some industries, it's not the norm. But, any company that has a corporate HQ should be paying for interviews at said HQ.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

10 minutes before my interview, I get a text saying he's running an hour late. It's already 4:30. No, I will not wait. Now it's rescheduled for the day I originally asked for, and was told absolutely not.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Omne posted:

10 minutes before my interview, I get a text saying he's running an hour late. It's already 4:30. No, I will not wait. Now it's rescheduled for the day I originally asked for, and was told absolutely not.

Maybe it's just me, but someone texting me 10 minutes before hand they're going to be an hour late would be a sizable red flag for me barring some kind of extreme emergency

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Maybe it's just me, but someone texting me 10 minutes before hand they're going to be an hour late would be a sizable red flag for me barring some kind of extreme emergency

Well I applied for this in.....July of 2019. So, yeah. This is position four? Five? I don't even know at this point?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm getting laid off at the end of March and some of my coworkers have been helpful in getting in touch with their friends at other companies in the city to get my resume noticed and hopefully interviewed.

I have two technical phone screens coming up this week that I'm trying to prepare for, but I have a question regarding how to talk to the hiring managers or other engineers when I get asked the question of "why are you looking to change jobs?"

The answer I've been giving since before I knew I was being laid off was that I'm looking for more career growth, improve my skills and exposure to other companies way of doing business, and the 'interesting' work at my current company has dried up with a lot of more-senior people in my team making it hard to get assigned the more exciting roles.

Of course, now I am being laid-off (technically "redeployed": if I can find an internal transfer before March 31 I can stay. Surprise! There are hiring freezes within the company.)

So, I had a phone screen with a hiring manager yesterday, who was a former employee at my company and has contacts here. He straight up asked if I was impacted by the lay-offs. I don't want to lie to people, but I certainly won't bring it up as the reason I'm looking for a new job. So, I told him that I was impacted, but I was also interviewing at several other companies or in talks with their hiring managers.

My question for the thread is how do I address this question, since I am likely to get asked it again. I feel like it probably hurts my negotiating power to admit that I have a deadline with my current employer. However, assuming I get far enough to have a few offers, that should help a little according to this thread:

Hooplah posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

Read the op and maybe the last 10-20 pages of that thread if you like having money and want to get more of it faster

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MetaJew posted:

I'm getting laid off at the end of March
I have two technical phone screens
how to deal with "why are you looking to change jobs?"

The answer I've been giving since before I knew I was being laid off was that I'm looking for more career growth, improve my skills and exposure to other companies way of doing business, and the 'interesting' work at my current company has dried up with a lot of more-senior people in my team making it hard to get assigned the more exciting roles.

So, I had a phone screen with a hiring manager yesterday, who was a former employee at my company and has contacts here. He straight up asked if I was impacted by the lay-offs. I don't want to lie to people, but I certainly won't bring it up as the reason I'm looking for a new job. So, I told him that I was impacted, but I was also interviewing at several other companies or in talks with their hiring managers.

My question for the thread is how do I address this question, since I am likely to get asked it again.

If you're an engineer getting terminated as part of a mass layoff that local managers know about you're in a pretty good spot to deal with this question. If you're in sales "getting laid off" tends to mean "didn't deliver sales". If you're a software engineer it might just be the company/product/funding round didn't make it.

Step 1) Never lie.
Step 2) You should never badmouth your previous company, but if the cat is out of the bag with regard to a layoff/shutdown, just say it honestly and without sounding resentful. That is a question to identify red flags. Dealing with reality calmly without having bitter feelings is the right response.
Idea:
"Well I'd like a product I'm really excited about like [their product name]. It looks like customers arent buying the product I'm currently working on so they're shutting it down. Perfect time to find something new."

Having a deadline does hurt, its just plain easier to find a jbo when you already have one. Move VERY fast to get as many competing offers in at the same time, just like you're doing. Competing offers = a BATNA = success.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 12, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CarForumPoster gave good advice. and I think you have the right idea. Make it a positive, "I'm excited to find something new where I can challenge myself, have more opportunities for career growth and start in on interesting work." I'd avoid "Interesting work dried up" since that sounds like "I got bored" which is not a great response. Tell recruiters that you are talking to other companies as well as other teams internally. You do lose some leverage negotiating but once you get more than 1 interested employer the fact that you're being laid off becomes a lot less of a factor. Keep in mind you will qualify for unemployment so you don't necessarily need to take the first job that comes around.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

CarForumPoster posted:

If you're an engineer getting terminated as part of a mass layoff that local managers know about you're in a pretty good spot to deal with this question. If you're in sales "getting laid off" tends to mean "didn't deliver sales". If you're a software engineer it might just be the company/product/funding round didn't make it.

Step 1) Never lie.
Step 2) You should never badmouth your previous company, but if the cat is out of the bag with regard to a layoff/shutdown, just say it honestly and without sounding resentful. That is a question to identify red flags. Dealing with reality calmly without having bitter feelings is the right response.
Idea:
"Well I'd like a product I'm really excited about like [their product name]. It looks like customers arent buying the product I'm currently working on so they're shutting it down. Perfect time to find something new."

Having a deadline does hurt, its just plain easier to find a jbo when you already have one. Move VERY fast to get as many competing offers in at the same time, just like you're doing. Competing offers = a BATNA = success.

Lockback posted:

CarForumPoster gave good advice. and I think you have the right idea. Make it a positive, "I'm excited to find something new where I can challenge myself, have more opportunities for career growth and start in on interesting work." I'd avoid "Interesting work dried up" since that sounds like "I got bored" which is not a great response. Tell recruiters that you are talking to other companies as well as other teams internally. You do lose some leverage negotiating but once you get more than 1 interested employer the fact that you're being laid off becomes a lot less of a factor. Keep in mind you will qualify for unemployment so you don't necessarily need to take the first job that comes around.

Yeah, I'm an electrical engineer getting laid off as part of some mass layoffs. Nothing performance based.

Thanks for the advice on how to reply to those questions. It's certainly a stressful time, but the severence package is okay, and hopefully it winds up being more of a bonus.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'd like some perspective. Today I interviewed at a company. It's a big corp (Fortune 500 equivalent) that's spawned a small startupish hip office downtown to do some innovation. The tech was cool, the mood was chill, perhaps it could be a pretty sweet combo of big corp bennies and small shop freedom, but it seemed like everyone was at least 10 years my junior. It felt weird. The guys were plenty sharp, but... maybe it's because I've recently been in a few outfits where management have been really solid dudes in their early fifties with PhDs and a couple of very goo success stories on their CV.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Were the words ‘startup culture’ or ‘startup atmosphere’ used

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

bolind posted:

I'd like some perspective. Today I interviewed at a company. It's a big corp (Fortune 500 equivalent) that's spawned a small startupish hip office downtown to do some innovation. The tech was cool, the mood was chill, perhaps it could be a pretty sweet combo of big corp bennies and small shop freedom, but it seemed like everyone was at least 10 years my junior. It felt weird. The guys were plenty sharp, but... maybe it's because I've recently been in a few outfits where management have been really solid dudes in their early fifties with PhDs and a couple of very goo success stories on their CV.

Most of those offices mature out of the "Startup" thing, I wouldn't worry too much about that and be more concerned about "Are they bringing in revenue". I've worked both with younger and older-trending offices and I don't think it's that big of a difference. You'll get good performers and idiots in both.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Eric the Mauve posted:

Were the words ‘startup culture’ or ‘startup atmosphere’ used

First one was...

Lockback posted:

Most of those offices mature out of the "Startup" thing, I wouldn't worry too much about that and be more concerned about "Are they bringing in revenue". I've worked both with younger and older-trending offices and I don't think it's that big of a difference. You'll get good performers and idiots in both.

That’s actually a solid point. I got a somewhat unprofessional vibe and that would have been present regardless of the age of the interviewers.

Let’s see if they call back, I’m not holding my breath.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
How soon after a Skype interview should I send a thank you note? I actually like this company.

I had my second video interview in 2 days yesterday, when we ran over the allotted time and the interviewer had to go to a meeting. Just wanted to thank them for sharing info about the company and let them know that I was looking forward to hearing back.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've always sent a thank you note the following day, but I also haven't gotten any offers, so :shrug:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I've sent them within 24 hours of having the interview, or on the same business day if the interview was on a Friday.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

How soon after a Skype interview should I send a thank you note? I actually like this company.

I had my second video interview in 2 days yesterday, when we ran over the allotted time and the interviewer had to go to a meeting. Just wanted to thank them for sharing info about the company and let them know that I was looking forward to hearing back.

Within a day or two is fine. I have never actually cared about thank you notes but I've heard older folks say they do so it's not like it hurts.

Just send 1.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
TLDR: When people ask how to pick a new career, what do you tell them to do to find that answer?

Question for thread:

A friend's S.O. is having nerve pain in her shoulders that is bad enough that she can no longer be a dental hygienist. She has 13 years experience in this role and roughly 10 as an exotic dancer (she leaves the latter off resumes). She hates front office work due to insurance/billing stuff and is looking to make a career change. She will finish a B.S. in Dental Hygiene in a few months.

She asked me how to find what comes next and I had the following thoughts:
1) How about dental sales? She said sales was too much like stripping.
2) Go on indeed and find a job description you like and we can talk about how to land that job. She's working on this.
3) Default 2020 Answer: How do you feel about coding? She hasn't considered it, knowing her I have trouble picturing it but maybe.
4) Classic answer: Are there any trades you like, for example welding? None that she liked and they tend to be shoulder intensive.

Is there anything I missed for finding that answer for ones self?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CarForumPoster posted:

Your friend is awesome for this answer, particularly as it is now a better way for me to contextualize why I was immediately and actively put off by retail the one time I tried it.

Both of my exotic dancer friends became librarians; clearly there is a synergy there.

The only thing that ever helped me figure out what to do when I needed to change careers in my 20s was asking myself what that I wanted to be as a child was actually a real thing I could try to be as an adult.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Some people do a decent job at a 9-5 they don't hate then enjoy hobbies and family.

It's not necessarily simple to secure such jobs these days. So it's not the easy way out, but maybe a little easier to pick something removing the pressure that comes with picking a career.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Is there a sales thread in BFC? This should be the title if so.

I mean unless she's willing to invest a lot of time/money in probably going back to school to start a new career, she may want to reconsider making her peace with being a medical billing clerk. Office Space it as best she can and focus on enjoying her time away from work.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
OK, here is my current resume that is getting me nowhere fast:

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'm banging my head on the wall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
zero x to y by when type stuff, it's just an incredibly dull task list and just exudes "I do the minimum that is requested of me"

I am assuming that isn't true. (If it is, that's why you're hosed). Think about it this way: why would I hire you vs a different authorization specialist (say one of your peers)? you need to differentiate yourself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The 4 jobs in 2 years and already looking to make it 5 isn’t helping either

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BigDave posted:

OK, here is my current resume that is getting me nowhere fast:

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'm banging my head on the wall.

Your resume is a listing describing what those jobs are. That isn't super important, what did you actually ACCOMPLISH in those roles. What did you do that was impressive, or at least shows that you are solid. Imagine you were the worst at your job in the office, wouldn't your resume look basically the same? Cherry pick some metrics that show quality (not just volume) of work.

Looks like you're gunning for a technical field, but your skills section is buried and....bad. For helpdesk/ lowish level technical roles I'd need to see a listing of what that person is skilled at. Consider cutting back on some of the job fluff and putting more into your skills. If you can't, take some time to learn Python, SQL, NoSql and list those. If you can't learn those your job market in support/admin roles is going to be really, really weak.

An Associates in Communication is kind of a nothing, so make sure to get that Bachelors. Things will open up a bit more then.

We had a conversation about job hopping and red flags and...this is it. Some of these are ok that they are short but since "Assistant Help Desk" you've averaged less than 6 months at a job. For even entry level technical work that is not good. You may just need to tough it out for a while.

In general this format kinda sucks. You probably shouldn't be 2 pages and its hard to see where info is. For more junior folks I think a resume like this is probably better:
https://resumegenius.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Coporate-Resume-Template-Purple.png

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
So basically I'm hosed.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

BigDave posted:

So basically I'm hosed.

Stick it out at your job for a full year. During that time learn some new skills. Does your company use Azure or AWS? See if they will pay for you to take classes and get certification.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you go forward with a defeatist attitude instead of implementing the good advice you just got, then yeah.

(hosed in terms of landing a better job right now? Yeah. In terms of landing a better job ever? No.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

RC Cola posted:

Stick it out at your job for a full year. During that time learn some new skills. Does your company use Azure or AWS? See if they will pay for you to take classes and get certification.

Nope, they pay for me to work, and that's it.

Honestly I consider myself lucky I get paid on time.