Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
The grind after exile v2 is real. I don’t even want to look what it’s like from 3 to 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm really enjoying Idle Skilling on mobile. It's got a lot of buttons to press, but you figure them out pretty quick, then the new features unlock slowly. Lots of cross-pollination between the various features, similar to NGU and other idlers. There's a pet-breeding feature that I'm not certain if I'm not engaging with the mechanic enough, or if it's just really obscure without spoilers, or if it's just random. You use the pets to fight auto-battles to acquire Goop which you use to unlock research vats, which are the reward that cross-pollinates to other systems.

It has some secrets that you should probably spoil for yourself (particularly one that's a pixel hunt) if you're a hardcore idler.

I forget if I read it here, but the big item that hinders your progress once you've been playing a few weeks is the Unlimited Forge item for 200 gems (I could afford it now, it's not such a huge bottleneck for me yet). But before I buy that, I'm saving up to the buy the gem portal (150 gems/day for 10 days, total of 1500, for 500 gems purchase price, limit one ever per account). There's lots of permanent gem shop items that look pretty lucrative - I'll have to look up the efficient way to acquire them.

The Arcade (and a secret) are your primary method of trickling in gems, and the Arcade is not super obvious (and secret even less so).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I truly do not understand what I'm doing with the pet goop screen with all the vats, I just upgrade what I can when I can and that seems to be working out okay :shrug:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

explosivo posted:

Yeah I truly do not understand what I'm doing with the pet goop screen with all the vats, I just upgrade what I can when I can and that seems to be working out okay :shrug:

The first screen you can upgrade rates with the vats on the left, unlock new features with the middle vat, and get unique bonuses by shoving pets in the tanks on the right

For all the other screens to the right, each tank that receives fluid will slowly accumulate RP (faster with upgrades on first screen) - this is the number below the tank. I think if you turn all the tanks off but one, it would fill 5x as fast (but not 5x the total RP because of diminishing returns, so I think it's good to keep them all fed just for exp).

At any time, you can 'invest' the RP sitting below the tank into one of the tank's skills, if unlocked. Investing takes the tank's current RP number below the tank, and REPLACES the existing number. So if your skill has 100 RP invested, and your tank has 101 RP, do NOT invest, because you'll have to go 0->101 to get back to where you were, for only a 1% increase in skill speed. You want to wait until the tank has appreciably more RP stored up before you invest it in a skill. This is why the option to invest is grayed out whenever your stored RP is less than the invested RP in a skill. The top of the screen tells you when you have the option to invest.

Leveling skills raises your Vat exp, unlocking new and exciting vats

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

The grind after exile v2 is real. I don’t even want to look what it’s like from 3 to 4

I’m with you. Currently chucking all my energy into Adv NGU and Adv stats are only 80B/40B, it’s going to be a slog.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Decided to check out NGU and woah that's good idle. Wish it was available for phone, though- there's only as few hours a day I have access to my computer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

Decided to check out NGU and woah that's good idle. Wish it was available for phone, though- there's only as few hours a day I have access to my computer.

Unless I’m working on challenges I really only play NGU twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. Still making good progress and a lot of stuff in a run is set up so you can set it and let it ride for a while.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Unless I’m working on challenges I really only play NGU twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. Still making good progress and a lot of stuff in a run is set up so you can set it and let it ride for a while.

Oh yeah I come home or wake up and there's huge progress, I just like babysitting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh yeah I come home or wake up and there's huge progress, I just like babysitting.

You’ll really like the challenges, especially ones with lots of short rebirths like the troll or 24 hour ones.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

you might want to look into steam link

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I use the Chrome Remote Desktop app to pop into my PC to poke NGU every now and then. And Teamviewer for when I'm at work and want to do the same while making it seem like I'm doing work :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Possible NGU bug, not sure, going to try to recreate again today:

I've been AK'ing BeastV1. I am at the tail end of a 24hour rebirth and have enough stats to manually kill V2. At about 10 minutes before the timer I switch the Beast to V2. Go to check about 15 minutes later and it appears that I had still AK'd V1.

I would have expected the difficulty change to prevent the AK from happening so I could go and manual Beast V2

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It would be a nice change to reduce the needed amount of stats since Exile isn't endgame anymore and is the point where you slam into a very slow and boring wall.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Peachfart posted:

It would be a nice change to reduce the needed amount of stats since Exile isn't endgame anymore and is the point where you slam into a very slow and boring wall.

I agree, just kinda' twiddling my thumbs for a few weeks till I can do the manual v4 once is pretty lame.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Possible NGU bug, not sure, going to try to recreate again today:

I've been AK'ing BeastV1. I am at the tail end of a 24hour rebirth and have enough stats to manually kill V2. At about 10 minutes before the timer I switch the Beast to V2. Go to check about 15 minutes later and it appears that I had still AK'd V1.

I would have expected the difficulty change to prevent the AK from happening so I could go and manual Beast V2

not a bug but i guess there's a lack of a setting for what you want. IIRC autokill for versioned titans just finds out the best version you can AK and just plain does it, without a way to say "hol' up i wanna try a manual kill of the next V"

In other NGU news: starting work on the next set of zones for sad but came up to a moderate balancing snag: i want to place these zones at boss 208,216,etc unlocks in sadistic, but people aren't even close to that boss for the area of progression they're at. so, expect a lot of A/D related buffs in sad so i can make these parts of the game link up well. like a significantly smaller stat divider, buffs to some perks/quirks in early sad, card buffs to A/D cards, etc.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

something posted:

not a bug but i guess there's a lack of a setting for what you want. IIRC autokill for versioned titans just finds out the best version you can AK and just plain does it, without a way to say "hol' up i wanna try a manual kill of the next V"

Odd, that’s not how it works in my experience. For me it’ll only AK lower Titan versions when offline or upon reload, and keeping it on a un-autokillable setting will indeed keep it from killing a lower version. I’m not sure why that’s not working for them.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I honestly forget a lot of stuff i already coded so i could be wrong here. wouldn't be surprised. :v:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Yeah it AKs whatever er it is set to. If you have the stats for v2 it will still ask v2, and you can set it to v2 if you want to manual v2.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think this only applies to online autokills - iirc when you're offline it'll autokill v1 if you have the stats for it, regardless of what you had it set to before you went offline.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
TIL there's actually a setting to turn on to autokill, i thought it was just something that happened when it was calculating offline progression and the tradeoff for online vs offline was that you didn't get autokills

i'm in early evil so this'll come in handy

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
wow this would have made maxxing out all the beast / chocolate gear a little easier

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
you don't get drops if you AK offline though (?)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Cobalt60 posted:

you don't get drops if you AK offline though (?)

You won't get gear but you will get the accumulated McMuffins gained from said kills

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I'm trying the idle game thing again. You can test it here if you feel inclined.

It's basically 7+ cookie clicker / adventure capitalist styled games stacked on top of each other. Each layer has its own set of buildings, resources, upgrades, an item grid, a bonus feature, and its own prestige resource that's used to support the layer above it (after you unlock it). There's some dungeon crawling as well, and a set of resources (energy) that you need to thoughtfully allocate between all the layers.

This is NOT a release build (but the game mostly is what it is and I wouldn't expect anything significant to change in the future). This is a help me find issues so I can move towards release faster build. Issues such as something being confusing or unclear, something not adding up, or something just being plain broken.

(doesn't work with Internet Explorer, Edge, or mobile devices)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did Troll 3, it wasn't terrible. I have Walderp's better Cane for some impression of where I'm at as far as progress otherwise.
Sweet sweet 24 hour fruits...

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

shs posted:

I'm trying the idle game thing again. You can test it here if you feel inclined.

It's basically 7+ cookie clicker / adventure capitalist styled games stacked on top of each other. Each layer has its own set of buildings, resources, upgrades, an item grid, a bonus feature, and its own prestige resource that's used to support the layer above it (after you unlock it). There's some dungeon crawling as well, and a set of resources (energy) that you need to thoughtfully allocate between all the layers.

This is NOT a release build (but the game mostly is what it is and I wouldn't expect anything significant to change in the future). This is a help me find issues so I can move towards release faster build. Issues such as something being confusing or unclear, something not adding up, or something just being plain broken.

(doesn't work with Internet Explorer, Edge, or mobile devices)

This is the good stuff here. I'm about an hour in and have done a new mission and prestiged the wilderness once. I really like the power gems forcing you to make more deliberate choices on your buildings. I also really like that the game encourages you to spend your resources and be active for all the different residues.

Here's my questions and more detailed feedback:
  • Hero stats seem a little underwhelming to acquire, since the penalty for dying is 5 whole seconds to recharge. I know they're good and speeding things up, but without timed boss gates or some other wall it means that any enemy can be cleared given enough time.
  • I can see in the milestones what buildings are in the wilderness, but I can't seem to unlock past the untamed wilds. It would be nice to know what the next building is and how to unlock it. (As i'm putting this post together I buy my 25th untamed wilds and suddenly I'm told about the multiplier for every 25th and unlock the well. Maybe add this note sooner? The power gem cost made me reluctant to invest so heavily into one building)
  • So many layers that I can't access. What do I need to do to get to the next layer? I don't know, I just know the building bricks and certain other resources are "used later". Same with hero classes and new areas. Do i need to clear more zones? Accumulate more prestige currency? Unlock all the wilderness buildings? I feel a little lost not knowing what my goals are for unlocks.
  • I've got several billion gold nuggets and absolutely no way to spend them right now. With power gems as the limiting resources for buildings and secondary resources being the limiter for upgrades, gold nuggets just build up and build up. Is there a sink for them later or are they just meant as a short term gate for the early game as you're unlocking buildings.

Really liking this one so far (really like all your idle games, honestly). Some very solid mechanics and I love the interactions of the different resources.

Edit: I unlocked a couple more buildings, I'm up to scrap piles, gold nuggets are in demand again. Waiting on prestige energy and can't decide if I want to spend it on missions or wilderness prestige.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 19, 2020

shs
Feb 14, 2012
When you first start the game, your main guy doesn't contribute much, but later on you'll be going on multi hour missions to zone 25, 50, or 100+ and his stats will have a big impact on how fast your Hero Soul accumulates. There's also a feature that unlocks in layer 3 that has a big impact.

It's not explained in game (it's something that should be) but every 10 times Hero is defeated, his recovery time increases by 1 second, up to a maximum of 30 seconds. The timer resets back to 5 when you start a new mission. Not really noticeable early on, but on long runs it will start to eat into your Hero soul accumulation.

The key to unlocking everything is usually just "get more of the most recent thing." If you really want to know about the second layer, it's buy 25 fishing piers

One general thing I feel I should mention is, this is definitely not a fast paced game. This is a lower speed, idle oriented, check in on it a few times throughout the day type of game. I like to think of it as a mountain range that's slowing rising out of the earth, going into the sky, going into space, going into the space outside of space, then heading to places not describable with words.

Edit: in case anyone is wondering, the game has offline progress. You'll gain resources and energy (up to your cap) at the normal speed. You can gain dungeon progress while offline, but because of how resource intensive it is to simulate combat, dungeon progress is limited to around 6 hours or so.

shs fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 19, 2020

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I am trying this, and there is something weird going on with building multi-buy and power gem costs.

Say I have 12 weapon caches, and 35 power gems. I set the multi-buy to max. The cost to buy 2 levels of weapon caches is 13 + 14 = 27 power gems. But the listed cost is 28 power gems. Which is how much is removed if I click the button. But if I then get more power gems, it goes up to 13+14+15 = 42 power gems, which is correct. Then it goes up to 60, instead of 58. Then it is 75, which is correct again.

Similarly, if I have 12 weapon caches, and tell it to buy 5 levels, the cost is correct (13+14+15+16+17 = 75), but the cost for 10 levels is shown as 180, when it should be 75 + 18+19+20+21+22 = 175. This is the same for a bunch of different buildings. If I buy 5 twice, the costs are 75 and 100, so it is not like there is a change in the cost somewhere in there.

Edit: The gold cost does not have the same issue, gold cost for 10 levels of untamed wilds from level 13 is 103,649,444, the cost for purchasing 5 levels twice is 103,649,443, which I will put up to rounding error.

Other than that, so far it is pretty interesting.

Arbetor fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 19, 2020

shs
Feb 14, 2012
edit: build 101 should fix the issue with building main resource costs, plus an issue with buying max.

shs fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 19, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Awesome, thanks for the info. I agree a slower paced game is absolutely fine. I'm really really liking what the game offers so far. The different interactions of the resources and upgrades feel good and there's a lot of choices to make. Slow game is absolutely fine, my biggest criticism of your other games is they tend to introduce things too quickly and it can be hard to grasp how valuable a given currency/boost is to overall progress.

I would definitely add a help page with some progression tips and suggestions on how to approach the different interactions. Like I probably should have cast just the power gem spell initially because while 5% combat stats wasn't at all noticeable, an extra gem is a 50% increase from the baseline and ties into your main progression (which seems to be the buildings right now). I wish I had started a long mission on my first mission prestige because it gives more boosts and I don't have the energy to start a new mission anyway.

I haven't had anything that resembles a bug yet so great work there!. I will say the energy generation feels kind of slow, at least for the prestige energy. Any thoughts on adding a partial prestige that lets you prestige with your current energy, gaining a percentage of your prestige benefits?

I assume shining topaz is the premium currency? I got a few from dailies and don't see anywhere to spend it yet.

Other notes:

Love the timer showing how long til you can afford something! Such a nice feature, especially since you tend to buy things in singles due to the power gem or secondary resource costs.
Gacha drawing: I don't think it needs the second confirmation window after you choose how many draws. I'm already confirming that I want to draw by selecting how many draws.
I just noticed the auto-upgrade button. Great feature! Draw some more attention to it?

Again, I have to point out that there's some really good feel to this one. Power gem costs and secondary resource income gives meaning and weight to lower level building purchases, the feedback loops in the resources are fantastic (cast spells to upgrade creations to upgrade spells, wheat boosts log gen, logs boost ore gen, ore boosts wheat gen), and the other ways that resources are interwoven are also really neat My favorite idle games are the kind that merge a bunch of different game styles, features, and such into an over-arching progression (Anti-Idle, NGU/WAMI, Mine Defense), so this is a solid entry for sure!

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Energy regeneration picks up once you get to the second layer, and then again in the third layer. I'm not going to spoil it, but layer 3 is when the real idle gaming hours begin.

A guide would be good for sure but I sort of don't know how to optimally play the game or if there's even an optimal way to play it. Other than making number go up, of course. The tutorial at least mentions Power Gem Finder.

The shining topaz are the premium currency. I don't like people sending me money before the game is released, so that menu will be hidden until the game is out of this testing phase. People get annoyed about real money stuff, but I need to be realistic with this. Doing anything more than basic maintenance and small updates is at least a part time job, and could easily become a full-time job, but I already have a full-time job and there's only so much suffering I'm willing to inflict upon myself. And the backend hosting isn't free. If people actually like the game and it becomes popular, hosting fees could very easily get into the area of $800 a month or higher.

I'm likely going to upload a bunch of small updates over the next few days, but I don't want to clog the thread up. If you look in the lower left corner of the screen and see "Build 100" with nothing else, that means you have the latest version, but if you see a number in parentheses, like "Build 100 (102)" that means a new version is available.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah, I just unlocked the village and seeing the buildings require the wilderness prestige currency has me very excited. It kind of reminds me of Matter of Scale. I'm really excited to see the next layer and I can really see now the kind of slow burn the game has to offer. This is the good stuff, right here.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 20, 2020

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
can we get a "buy to next 25 increment" button which i think in idle wizard they call "Max 25"? overcapping is always annoying.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Woah another idle game? I need to be at home aaaa

E: when you release post here or pm me and I'll get you in op

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Going to start up NGU for the first time

Any good guide out there to follow?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Digital Jedi posted:

Eh it's a game you just kinda so whatever with

The best guide is join discord and ask but mostly be chill and chat it up we're the real idle game

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Digital Jedi posted:

early on the most important thing is to get your basic training energy costs down and get your energy generation/cap up.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
To correct my earlier post about Idle Skilling pet goop, I think turning on one tap at a time for each color is actually optimal. Assuming the hourly rate is correct, you get more, deeper, returns by running one tap for six hours instead of six taps for one hour.

With diminishing returns, going from two taps to one should not double your RP per hour - but it does in this case. So running multiple taps seems to have a penalty associated.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I just realized that I've been playing NGU long enough (since it was first posted in this thread for people to test) that I can't really remember advice for the early game anymore.

That is the best endorsement I can give, no other idler has come close to holding me as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Devor posted:

To correct my earlier post about Idle Skilling pet goop, I think turning on one tap at a time for each color is actually optimal. Assuming the hourly rate is correct, you get more, deeper, returns by running one tap for six hours instead of six taps for one hour.

With diminishing returns, going from two taps to one should not double your RP per hour - but it does in this case. So running multiple taps seems to have a penalty associated.

This is a good idea. I really haven't been paying attention to the bonuses at all and upgrade what I can when I can but your earlier post made me realize I've been slowing my own progress quite a bit by doing that. I'm going to give this a try and see how it goes.

Now my next biggest issue is what goddamn cards I should be using and when :sweatdrop: