Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I got the genestealer cult start collecting pack that came with the codex and I was skimming through the pages last night for a bit and the one blurb I read about the kelermorph just said that if the cult is going well one of the cultists (hybrids w/e) would just turn into one so I guess it's just sorta triggered by something in their genes?

Makes sense. All the more details to consider for Hivefleet Coatl and the Genestealer Cult it fosters. Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I got the genestealer cult start collecting pack that came with the codex and I was skimming through the pages last night for a bit and the one blurb I read about the kelermorph just said that if the cult is going well one of the cultists (hybrids w/e) would just turn into one so I guess it's just sorta triggered by something in their genes?

Well this is how the Broodlords come about too, a genestealer can sort of evolve into one if there isn't one already. Like how bees make new queens or whatever.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The current codex says that they're bioengineered by the Patriarch and the Biophagus by combining the best genetic traits from 3rd gens over a few cycles. Basically Serpentor but a cowboy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The current codex says that they're bioengineered by the Patriarch and the Biophagus by combining the best genetic traits from 3rd gens over a few cycles. Basically Serpentor but a cowboy.

Huh! So the Genestealers do have that level of genetic engineering. Can't say I expected that with how ramshackle their tech is, but I love the idea too much to complain.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think it's more instinct when breeding rather than bioengineering as such. Bees stuff a female bee full of royal jelly to turn her into a queen when they need one, no real thinking or intention involved, just genetic instinct. Same with the hybrids and infected wanting to breed and protect their offspring etc.

Then again, if the brood is its own mini hive mind anything is possible.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Is there an app that will let you roll z d6 and display the results? I know dice aren’t expensive but that would completely avoid the terrain issue.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gaussian posted:

Is there an app that will let you roll z d6 and display the results? I know dice aren’t expensive but that would completely avoid the terrain issue.

Loads.

On android you can even just ask Google to do it via voice command for individual rolls.

I happen to have a star wars RPG app that can let you roll D6s as well as the RPG dice, and that works fine. Not sure I'd want to play a game where you move plastic models around and then have your phone calculate all the casualties for you though.

I like rolling dice and it's easy enough to get dice towers and trays and similar things.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
A good wooden dice tray with one of those leathery bottoms makes a life changing sound. It's so dumb that that is what hooked me into buying one, but the clunky noises are just so satisfying!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The Gate posted:

A good wooden dice tray with one of those leathery bottoms makes a life changing sound. It's so dumb that that is what hooked me into buying one, but the clunky noises are just so satisfying!

100% Agree.

Do not, my friends, become addicted to the satisfying sound of rolling a bucket of D6's in your leatherbound dice tray! It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I haven't painted anything in years, so I watched Nausicaa again and started working on a test scheme on a plague marine model. I don't have much free time anymore because we have a new rescue frenchie puppy in our house, so it took over a month. I was going to finish the model yesterday, so I laid everything out on my worktable, left Puppernickel at her food bowl, and turned around to wash my hands.

On the upside, now we know exactly how good at climbing this dog is and she didn't suffer any GI issues. I don' think I'm going to be able to recover the pulverized mess that was a model though. :negative:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For a while I rolled my dice for Orks in the bottom of a 12"x9" one of those "super useful boxes".

It was super useful for rolling 120 dice at once.

Now that I'm mainly playing my sisters army I don't really bother with dice trays since the most dice I roll at once is less than 20.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I haven't painted anything in years, so I watched Nausicaa again and started working on a test scheme on a plague marine model. I don't have much free time anymore because we have a new rescue frenchie puppy in our house, so it took over a month. I was going to finish the model yesterday, so I laid everything out on my worktable, left Puppernickel at her food bowl, and turned around to wash my hands.

On the upside, now we know exactly how good at climbing this dog is and she didn't suffer any GI issues. I don' think I'm going to be able to recover the pulverized mess that was a model though. :negative:

Your dog is true and loyal to the Emperor and is a great example you should follow, heretic.

In all seriousness though that sucks, I can remember nearly finishing Inquisitor Karamazov when he was a pain in the arse metal model, went to take him out of a box to show him to someone, got caught on the foam, dropped him, broke into pieces. I have no idea where he is now.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

Your dog is true and loyal to the Emperor and is a great example you should follow, heretic.

In all seriousness though that sucks, I can remember nearly finishing Inquisitor Karamazov when he was a pain in the arse metal model, went to take him out of a box to show him to someone, got caught on the foam, dropped him, broke into pieces. I have no idea where he is now.

Buuuhhhh that sucks too. Metal always carried that small anxiety with them every time I used them because I didn't know how to pin things. Gluing together my first War Walker, when they were just a seat and legs attached to an inverted Wraithlord torso, all metal, was nightmarish.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Buuuhhhh that sucks too. Metal always carried that small anxiety with them every time I used them because I didn't know how to pin things. Gluing together my first War Walker, when they were just a seat and legs attached to an inverted Wraithlord torso, all metal, was nightmarish.

I have three of those, one of them still isn't assembled because it's such a hateful design.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kitchner posted:

I have no idea where he is now.

In all likelihood, a better place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Bee posted:

How exactly is the Kelermorph produced? I didn't think genestealer cults produced such specific biomorphs, so is it a drop-off from a hive fleet? Just a random chance buried in Genestealer DNA? Or is it genetic engineering cooked up in the sewers and recesses of the Cult? I may or may not be trying to puzzle out lore for a hive fleet that plays the long game, so a more diplomatic/subtle bioform like that is of interest to me.

How is a magus produced?

Yeah somebody gets the right mutation for the job and steps up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I haven't painted anything in years, so I watched Nausicaa again and started working on a test scheme on a plague marine model.

Nice! Good inspiration.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

DandyLion posted:

In all likelihood, a better place.

It was as the Emperor willed.

I was tempted to get the new resin version but while he's a fantastic centre piece I don't think I'd ever use him. Back in the day I played so much I used fun stuff occasionally just to use it, these days I don't play so much so I don't want to waste a game with a cool but not that great list.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Painted a few things.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

so they showed off Makari and hes got 4 wounds and a 2+ inv save. He also confers a 6 leadership to all goff grots within 12"

I like him

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 20, 2020

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

when did GW start putting heads on dreadnoughts

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Filthy Hans posted:

when did GW start putting heads on dreadnoughts

Forgeworld ones for 30k love doing it.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is it a decorative head or is that the marine's actual head

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I really like this one. Good job.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Those space marines look radical, good job.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
So Privateer Press just announced their scifi kickstarter set 5000 years in the future of warmachine: Warcaster or I guess Warmachine 5k.

https://home.privateerpress.com/warcaster/

Personally I think they kinda hosed up on the design, I would have just assumed these were Infinity miniatures if I scrolled past them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

So Privateer Press just announced their scifi kickstarter set 5000 years in the future of warmachine: Warcaster or I guess Warmachine 5k.

:laffo:

Riot Quest just wasn't enough

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Did anyone actually ask for that game

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
That’s just straight Infinity, down to the fiddly ear antennae. Maybe (?) less cheesecake than Corvus Belli though, so okay proxies I guess.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I dunno, some of those minis look pretty cool. They appear to be much less prone to T&A than Infinity too.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Why does every single near-future sci-fi tabletop setting look exactly the same

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
^^ because they all pull their aesthetic from Appleseed (which is basically the Masamune Shirow comic thats the future of Ghost in the Shell)

Yeah but like Warmachine itself has factions that look more bonkers 5 thousand years in the future stuff. The elves and the convergence jump to mind as looking cray way ahead of some Appleseed inspired Infinity stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Weird that they have Tau.

Hihohe posted:

so they showed off Makari and hes got 4 wounds and a 2+ inv save. He also confers a 6 leadership to all goff grots within 12"

Can he be taken ala carte or is he attached to the big Gaz?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Personally I think they kinda hosed up on the design, I would have just assumed these were Infinity miniatures if I scrolled past them.

Yeah, I'm really not feeling it. I think if they wanted to stand out, they should have leaned more into the weirder bits of the factions that currently exist. As it is, they just look like generic future armored dudes. Well-executed generic future armored dudes, but still nothing particularly standout about them. Give us gatormen on jet boards. Trollbloods with power weapons. Cybernetic fairy tale monsters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

goose willis posted:

Did anyone actually ask for that game

We will find out soon enough when the Kickstarter starts. :p

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

JackMann posted:

Yeah, I'm really not feeling it. I think if they wanted to stand out, they should have leaned more into the weirder bits of the factions that currently exist. As it is, they just look like generic future armored dudes. Well-executed generic future armored dudes, but still nothing particularly standout about them. Give us gatormen on jet boards. Trollbloods with power weapons. Cybernetic fairy tale monsters.

They are extremely generic, there are about a dozen other games/comics/etc that look like that as they did not really depart from the common inspiration.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Kelermorph from a low tech world with three crossbows

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Man those are some boring as Infinity-like models. :geno:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm personally just waiting for it to reach peak interest with a successful Kickstarter and then die off like every other generic near-future poo poo game where everything is an energy weapon and every dumbass soldier has the same helmet with the glowy eyes and a big antenna and then you get a whole fire sale on boxes and sprues and you either have conversion parts or even a basis for a whole custom Imperial Guard regiment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

R0ckfish posted:

They are extremely generic, there are about a dozen other games/comics/etc that look like that as they did not really depart from the common inspiration.

Diverse (and totally bonkers) army looks is one of the selling points for Warmachine. PP are probably running away from that on purpose - which is a mistake.