Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Well don't look at me I'm just swinging a katana over here I don't know nothin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 25

Episode 25: “Memories of Death Lillies” and “The Weight of the World” - Youtube | Polsy

We've talked a lot about what sort of a man Oda Nobunaga was, but now it's time to turn our attention towards his oldest ally, and the man William has been on a journey to meet alongside Hanzo for some time now. But just who is Tokugawa Ieyasu?

Characters

William
Entry 3: Clear “The Weight of the World”

Okatsu
Entry 2: Clear “Memories of Death Lillies”

Tokugawa Ieyasu – Throughout Japan the man known as “The Tanuki” was often spoken of in terms of his cunning and patience, waiting for the right moment of weakness in Japan's power structure to strike and take it for his own. Yet this depiction ignores his history as a man who has spent almost his entire life embroiled in the conflicts of the Sengoku Era, and overlooks all that he has lost compared to all he has gained. A great burden rests on the shoulders of Tokugawa Ieyasu, to ensure all those lost were not in vain and to bring lasting peace to his nation.
Entry 1: Clear “The Weight of the World”

Amrita Memories

People

Forlon Demoness from “Memories of Death Lillies”
The Vanished Princess from “Memories of Death Lillies”

Background

Sullied Lands from “Memories of Death Lillies”

Yokai

Ogress – Long after a person dies the grudges they carried can continue to exist in this world, keeping their spirit from finding any peace and driving them to inflict suffering on the living. The Ogress is a manifestation of the grudge of a mother whose son was killed, a massive yokai crying in grief and screaming in anger as she seeks a revenge that can never truly be as the world moves on from her tragic moment in history.
Entry 1

Guardian Spirits

Gyokuto

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 9, 2020

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
LOA.test.subject.1... Red bloody grave. What?

Also, Tokugawa Ieyasu being described as the ultimate survivor is pretty on the ball. Not to discredit his skill, cunning, bravery and a healthy share of luck but at the end of the day, his greatest success was outlasting his rivals while maintaining his power. He almost never took a risk he didn't need to take and was more than willing to bide his time and build his power slowly.

Edit: There a lot more I would like to say about him but I don't want to jump ahead of the game here.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 5, 2020

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

There's a lot you can already say about him to be honest. The man has been a hostage to the Imagawa, then teamed up with Oda Nobunaga but thanks to the Takeda clan absolutely trouncing him (Takeda Shingen ain't nothin' to gently caress with) he ended up in more of a subordinate role. Managed to slip the net during Akechi Mitsuhide's revolt and get back home, endure additional humiliation from the Sanada Clan and had to deal with all the intrigue that went on during and after Hideyoshi's time, finally getting to even this moment has seen him lose so, so much.

The game is going to show this in even more detail in the next main mission. Tokugawa Ieyasu did not just waltz in like the old sayings suggest. He was fighting the whole time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm always kind of iffy on this game's characterization of Ieyasu and William's interactions with him because it feels like the story is making a case for tradition and isolationism complete with the sudden conversion of a skeptic gaijin - and seeing it through my 21st century lens, the immediate association I get with Ieyasu is "a dick" (which, to be honest, happens with most authority figures). But I guess it's all part of the general romanticization of that period.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Nioh does a pretty good job of balancing the romanticizing of the period with the brutal reality that people tended to die in really horrible ways and the consequences of these actions are firmly rooted in the soil of Japan, after all these ghost-memories of people screaming and dying and all the dead and monsters walking around didn't just fall out of a tree. In regards to the tradition and isolationism stuff I think you're reading too much into the scenes though, or just framing it from the historical angle of us knowing what Ieyasu would eventually do. That sort of stuff doesn't really have much of a look-in within the story covered by Nioh, it's more about the people and in William's case it's how these people influence him and change his outlook on life.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Nioh does a pretty good job of balancing the romanticizing of the period with the brutal reality that people tended to die in really horrible ways and the consequences of these actions are firmly rooted in the soil of Japan, after all these ghost-memories of people screaming and dying and all the dead and monsters walking around didn't just fall out of a tree. In regards to the tradition and isolationism stuff I think you're reading too much into the scenes though, or just framing it from the historical angle of us knowing what Ieyasu would eventually do. That sort of stuff doesn't really have much of a look-in within the story covered by Nioh, it's more about the people and in William's case it's how these people influence him and change his outlook on life.

One thing that does sort or feel discordant with Niohs historical portrayal is that it attributes the motivation of just wanting Peace to at least 3 different Warlords who try to conquer all of japan. Now I get that unifying all of a country under your supreme control is technically peace, and yes its not like everyone is just going to listen to you just because you said not fighting was a good idea.

But at the same time, A War For Peace is not somehow better than a war for your neighbors rice fields.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Tzarnal posted:

One thing that does sort or feel discordant with Niohs historical portrayal is that it attributes the motivation of just wanting Peace to at least 3 different Warlords who try to conquer all of japan. Now I get that unifying all of a country under your supreme control is technically peace, and yes its not like everyone is just going to listen to you just because you said not fighting was a good idea.

But at the same time, A War For Peace is not somehow better than a war for your neighbors rice fields.

Who are the other two aside from Tokugawa? Cause Mitsunari's motivation is loyalty, Nobunaga's was domination, and Hideyoshi did get all the marbles but continued to war.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
"war for peace" is historically a line that gets used when you are talking about what is generally perceived as an internal conflict. otto von bismarck used similar rhetoric with the unification of germany, and so did a lot of Union generals during the american civil war even as they were doing things like burning the Shenandoah Valley to a cinder. "peace" frequently becomes synonymous with "the status quo that people feel is normal" so the line sounds reasonable in the moment when you're talking about beating dudes up to restore something you can predict and expect versus not beating dudes up to have a scary, dangerous rogue element around. i wouldn't at all be surprised if a similar line got played over modern Canadian airwaves if Quebec decided to stage open revolt and succession against the Canadian government tomorrow. Nioh uses the lines because a lot of those lines come from actual factual writing that we know these figures produced. how sincere they were about it is another matter, and we can definitely talk about how sincere or insincere people seem when they say this stuff.

but japan had a unified nationhood notion pretty early, so you any time you had two warlords trying to dick each other over, you'd have an opportunity for that sort of rhetoric to get deployed. compare to, for example, the hundreds of dumb conflicts between england and scotland, where you're also on islands but do not have a unified nationhood notion until really quite recently, and the rhetoric tends to center around "gently caress THOSE guys" instead.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 6, 2020

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 26

Episode 26: The Hot Springs Episode - Youtube | Polsy

This episode really has it all. Hot springs! Fuku not at the Hot Springs! Silly hats! Nobunaga history chat! Video game references! That's about as high as I can count so I think that quantifies as “it all” right?

Characters

Senji Muramasa – The name Muramasa is given to the head of the Senji clan of Blacksmiths upon assumption of their position, the current Murasama being Tome's grandfather. Arguably the greatest lineage of weapon-makers in Japanese history, many are the weapons used by great warriors made by a Muramasa, and many more are the blades claimed to by made by them to falsely enhance a person's status.
Entry 1: Clear “The Trail of the Master”

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kusaris own extremely hard. The basics alone give you an enormous amount of flexibility (no pun intended) and a couple of the high stance special moves form a combo that can keep on setting up human mobs, revenants and bosses for big hits all the way to the end of the final DLC. I'm pretty sure I'm not using the weapon to its full potential and there's a ton of moves I haven't even tried, but it's easily my favourite weapon. It's just so interesting. Also lets you kick enemies in the face but it's hardly unique there.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 12, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The face on Muramasa looks identical to the Muramasa in Ninja Gaiden. Nice touch.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

We've got some great Ninja Gaiden references coming down the pipeline in this game. Some are pretty obvious, but there's one that is actually genius and it took till we did actual commentary on it for me to realise what was happening.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 27

Episode 27: The Defiled Castle - Youtube | Polsy

In spite of how you might think of this stage as it starts out, it's actually a really great level with a really cool gimmick to it. But yes, I say a magic P word a lot in this episode and it ain't “please” at all.

Characters

Honda Tadakatsu – A retainer of the Tokugawa whose legend as a general and warrior towers over all his comrades, leaving him regarded as the greatest warrior of the east in the Sengoku Era. One of the greatest legends surrounding Honda Tadakatsu's martial prowess is the fact that his body bore no scars of war, even though he has spent decades at the forefront of the Tokugawa clan's war efforts.
Entry 1: Clear “The Defiled Castle”

Amrita Memories

Background

Stones Of Right and Wrong from “The Defiled Castle”

Yokai

Mudman – Just as those who perish in water may return as an Umi-bozu, so too can someone who drowns in mud return as a Mudman. There is little good one can say of such a fate, so it's hardly a surprise that a Mudman seeks to spread its misery with others.
Entry 1

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:itwaspoo:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Did someone say poo poo-demon?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

poomi-bozu

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I appreciate Kelley being such a moron by being legit surprised his little hostage maneuver had no effect. He really doesn't get anything going on in Japan, which is a nice parallel to William.

They do a really good job at making Kelley the most punchable person.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh right, you called the poo status "muddied" at one point. Muddied is the Earth damage status and it increases ki damage the sufferer takes. Poo status is just called stench.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I do appreciate the Okatsu is not a total damsel in distress and that she does get out of Kelsey's grasp herself.

Also, the undefeated of the east has got an oddly open face and clear eyes compared to all the other hard faced people in the game.

Btw, was I the only one getting odd video artifacts on the YouTube video?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

I appreciate Kelley being such a moron by being legit surprised his little hostage maneuver had no effect. He really doesn't get anything going on in Japan, which is a nice parallel to William.

They do a really good job at making Kelley the most punchable person.
Yeah, I always read that as Kelley simply not expecting Ieyasu to be such a dick. Then again, I've already talked about how some of these scenes make me uncomfortable and it's probably just overthinking it.

e: That being said, I also have a lot more sympathy for Kelley given some later revelations. To each their own tastes, I suppose.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Dabir posted:

poomi-bozu

I thought I was really clever for calling them umi-poozu.

Welp, thats enough shitposting from me. :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

umi-bopoo

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Poo episode really brought out the shitposting

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 28

Episode 28: “The Rising Shadows” “The Giant Frog Brawl” and “The Champion of the East” - Youtube | Polsy

A quick return to shitpost castle followed up by two fights against foes with spears! The Champion of the East might not be on Amrita Spike Crack this time but don't count him out, he's got some effective tricks up his sleeve that help explain why he was never overcome by any of his rivals!

Characters

Honda Tadakatsu
Entry 2: Clear “The Champion of the East”
Entry 3: Defeat Honda Tadakatsu Three times

Yokai

Mudman
Entry 2

Giant Toad
Entry 2

Guardian Spirits

Shin-Roku

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Has it been explained why William is the only one that can hunt Yokai? I'd think anyone with a Guardian Spirit could do it, but, according to Tadakatsu's bio, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, I think I'm a bit miffed at the game's implication that he never got wounded because he had a magic healy deer patching him up during battle. :mad:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's heavily implied that William's unique in that he can see them. All of them, all the time.

Most of the people he's met who have had Guardian Spirits? Don't even know they had them. And while the dead people obviously saw the yokai that killed them, they probably didn't see the fog the yokai jumped out of or the pools that drained their stamina/ki :v:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It was mentioned somewhere that William is descended from druids and has an unusual affinity for spirits.

Edit: Was this recorded before or after Big Bird's puppeteer/actor passed away? December 8.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 26, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Almost definitely before but i forget precisely.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Tadakatsu Honda is another interesting character supposedly he was never once injured on the field of battle even though he went out of his way to wear armor that would stand out from the crowd and basically put a giant bullseye on him. While he may not have ever been defeated in personal combat he did serve as a general in a few losing battles so he wasn't perfect either. To be fair though both major losses that he was involved basically either had the enemy army pen him and his units in place while the rest of the Tokugawa army was shattered or so badly outnumbered that victory was never possible, to begin with. He was well respected even amongst his enemies as well Toyotomi Hideyoshi was said to have been moved to tears by his bravery when he and a handful of men road out to try to contest him at a river crossing to keep his lords army from being attacked in the rear. Hideyoshi was so moved by the bravery of this basically suicidal maneuver that he ordered that no harm should befall him or his men. Tadakatsu Honda is also said to have wielded the legendary spear Tonbokiri which ruffly translates to Dragonfly Cutter. Named after an incident where a dragonfly was said to have landed on the edge of the blade and instantly cut itself in half.

Interestingly enough his daughter was said to have a pearless warrior as well. Described as being as skilled and strong as she was beautiful Tokugawa also adopted her into his family as well. There is more to be said about her as well but that involves talking about the Sanada Clan and well... I imagine they will most certainly be coming up on their own.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Unlike Muneshige and (I think?) Naomasa, Honda Tadakatsu doesn't know how to block throwing knives. If you've dropped some points in ninjutsu you can just demolish him from a distance. You can demolish those other guys too of course, it just takes longer.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

Has it been explained why William is the only one that can hunt Yokai? I'd think anyone with a Guardian Spirit could do it, but, according to Tadakatsu's bio, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, I think I'm a bit miffed at the game's implication that he never got wounded because he had a magic healy deer patching him up during battle. :mad:

They never really explain it in-game, and the druid thing that was mentioned wasn't anything I was really aware of but hey it makes sense. Those with guardian spirits can see the Yokai for the most part, the problem is actually hurting them which seems to require one has one foot in the Yokai realm in some manner (Nioh 2's protagonist is going to be someone bound in such a way) in order to resist their malignant powers. William having strong ties with the spirit world through druid ancestry is as good a reason as any!

IMJack posted:

Was this recorded before or after Big Bird's puppeteer/actor passed away? December 8.

Before, we recorded this episode in very early November.

Dabir posted:

Unlike Muneshige and (I think?) Naomasa, Honda Tadakatsu doesn't know how to block throwing knives. If you've dropped some points in ninjutsu you can just demolish him from a distance. You can demolish those other guys too of course, it just takes longer.

I've seem some hilariously rude Ninjitsu webms where a player has disrespected Muneshige into another dimension but couldn't tell you where to get them these days sadly.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 29

Episode 29: Immortal Flame - Youtube | Polsy

We inch ever closer to the biggest fight in history, but not everyone is going to make it to the end, unless William acts quickly. Another ghost of Oda's past comes back to haunt the Tokugawa, and the three-eyed crow flies.

Characters

Torii Mototoda
Entry 2: Clear “Immortal Flame”

Tokugawa Ieyasu
Entry 2: Travel to the Sekigahara Region

Saika Magoichi – The Saika were a clan of mercenary warriors with strong ties to the rebellious Buddhist sects and merchant traders of the Sengoku Era, and clashed on many occasions with the Oda in their fights for autonomy. The name Saika Magoichi and the guardian spirit Yatagarasu are inherited by each leader upon their ascension to the position, and this particular figure is the third to have done so. A master of guerilla warfare, this Magoichi strikes from the sky with a terrifying hail of gunpowder.
Entry 1: Clear “Immortal Flame”
Entry 2: Defeat Saika Magoichi three times

Amrita Memories

People

The Black Crow Brigade from “Immortal Flame”

Background

The Rules of Siege from “Immortal Flame”

Yokai

Wheelmonk
Entry 2

Guardian Spirits

Narikama Tanuki

Suzaku

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't remember if you've brought it up yet, why is it "yokai" in subtitles when all the Japanese-speakers are clearly saying "ayakashi"?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Dabir posted:

I don't remember if you've brought it up yet, why is it "yokai" in subtitles when all the Japanese-speakers are clearly saying "ayakashi"?

Nioh's translation is a bit wonky in places, but I suspect in this case it was an intentional decision to just roll with something short and easy to remember and not deviate as to avoid confusion.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

to an english speaking audience it's the same thing, yeah. ayakashi is just a classification of yokai, it's like a yokai that appears above a body of water or in mists or some poo poo like that. the most direct english translation is to specify, like, the sin domain of a specific demon - lust, gluttony, whatever have you. that distinction is meaningless in context, however, so it just comes back as yokai because that's the word you're actually familiar with.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is an awesome level and boss, pretty sure they're my favorite in the entire game. It's just fun to play from start to end, the action never really drops unless you want it to when looking for secrets. The encounter and level design come together perfectly.

e: Oh, and you get the best spirit out of it too.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 5, 2020

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Nioh's 70% off on the Steam store if there's anybody out there who still doesn't have it! It's the Complete Edition so it comes with all the DLC by default.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Hoo boy this boss was the second real roadblock. That aerial somersaulting pile driver or whatever the hell it is :gonk:

It's a great fight but HOLY poo poo he will body you at a moment's notice if you don't smack him out of the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 30

Episode 30: Stolen Things and Hot Springs - Youtube | Polsy

Today in Nioh we briefly look into another popular legend of the era, who you have probably already figured out by the update splash. We're also going to complete our Odachi training and gain our ULTIMATE TECHNIQUE. To celebrate, we'll investigate another haunted hot springs that has apparently swallowed up even hardened soldiers, quite possibly through technical difficulties.

Characters

Saika Magoichi
Entry 3: Clear “The Silent Crow”

Yokai

Kappa
Entry 2

Hino-Enma
Entry 2