Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it just seems like bad gameplay by Rob. He's a smart guy but he's also kind of always been not as smart as he thinks he is. So like he understandable recognized that Sandra was a threat to him and not someone he wanted to work with and that's fine but then he outsmarted himself by lying to her instead of just fluffing her up because he didn't know how things would shape up and dealing with it as it comes.

In Rob's defense I don't know how you go into a game where you're a main target, your wife is playing, and a bunch of people are your known close friends. But giving Sandra a reason to be pissed at you is definitely not the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Y'know, as someone who's never actually watched Survivor before, I think I picked a weird season to start.

Still gonna watch it.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Chic Trombone posted:

Y'know, as someone who's never actually watched Survivor before, I think I picked a weird season to start.

Still gonna watch it.

what were your impressions of the first ep?

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Sandra was the #1 person that they wanted to get out which completely baffles me. They needed all the allies that they could get!

In my brain, this is their strategy because there are two giant heads of the two of them that are visible to the contestants, which would be a red flag to anyone with half a brain. If he targets her and vice versa, it solidifies with people that they're aligning with that they're legit and not trying to pull some kind of scam where they have this unbreakable island of the idols thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was I think David's theory a few seasons ago? That as long as he and Zeke were gunning for each other the tribe was content to let them but once Zeke was gone then David was a target. Something like that?

But no, I think they just both know the other is a snake so even if it would make sense for them to watch each other's backs since they're both big targets they just know they can't ever really trust one another because its not in their interests to go deep together. Its the same problem I see with Rob/Parv. It seems like a race to see which one knives the other first.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
I bet it's hard as hell to fall asleep on the edge of extinction and amber's a real rear end in a top hat waking natalie up like that

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Tony is a national treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp-2wB9uhvo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have so many questions about what Tony was thinking when he designed this monstrosity.

Put Tony on every season.

nerox
May 20, 2001
The entire load bearing structure of that ladder is loving twine. :lol:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tony is just the kid who would do stupid and dangerous stuff for attention but all grown up and blessed with no shame and not enough brains to know why its a bad idea.

I would say its terrifying he's a cop, but really its no surprise.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

STAC Goat posted:

I would say its terrifying he's a cop, but really its no surprise.

excuse me how could you not look at that ladder and just KNOW that he's in construction????? that's what I thought

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

JesusSinfulHands posted:

what were your impressions of the first ep?

Good old WIFOM. Everyone knows each other sorta, so they're trying to psych each other out to a degree.

It was interesting hearing them talk about outside relationships and seeing them factor in. I'm familiar with how a game of survivor goes, I've just never actually watched a season

Also I felt the pacing was weird, but that might be intentional??

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

oh my god he's gonna kill someone with that thing

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
"It's designed to be like that!"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Marathoned season 39 the last couple days and it was so cancerous I was ready to give up on Survivor forever... until they previewed S40.

Goddammit. Episode one was really fun and I’m totally here for the winners gimmick.

A little bummed by some of the people who I can only assume refused like Richard Hatch, Todd Herzog and Cochran. But I’m super happy to see Parvati (one of if not my all time favorite player), Tyson, and my pick to win the season Yul.

This should be a fun ride.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Marathoned season 39 the last couple days and it was so cancerous I was ready to give up on Survivor forever... until they previewed S40.

Goddammit. Episode one was really fun and I’m totally here for the winners gimmick.

A little bummed by some of the people who I can only assume refused like Richard Hatch, Todd Herzog and Cochran. But I’m super happy to see Parvati (one of if not my all time favorite player), Tyson, and my pick to win the season Yul.

This should be a fun ride.

Hatch didn't refuse. He was apparently disinvited, and he has some feelings about it. https://youtu.be/XQE4QsjJD54

Annoyed they didn't invite Tina back. Her recent interview on RHAP was charming and I think she would've brought a different perspective to the game this season.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Chili posted:

Hatch didn't refuse. He was apparently disinvited, and he has some feelings about it. https://youtu.be/XQE4QsjJD54

Well, maybe he shouldn't have sexually assaulted another player. Turns out that poo poo follows you. :shrug:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Chili posted:

Annoyed they didn't invite Tina back. Her recent interview on RHAP was charming and I think she would've brought a different perspective to the game this season.

Well that sucks. He’s still a blowhard jackass, but I’d happily replace any of the recent winners with Hatch given the choice.

Still excited for the season. I really hope at least one of Yul/Parvati/Rob/Tyson goes deep as that seems like the best bet for keeping things fun. Tony causing chaos is always fun, but I’m skeptical he’ll last. I don’t really care about most of the post-HvV winners.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I totally understand why Cochran didn’t want to come back but it’s still disappointing. His arc over his two seasons is the best thing that’s ever happened in survivor.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
thinking about it logically the whole cast makes sense. Richard has legal issues, the producers might be concerned Tina is too old, Vecepia is not good TV, Brian...uh, well let's not talk about Brian, Jenna if I remember correctly had some kind of serious medical condition, Tom probably doesn't give a poo poo about Survivor after going out early in HvV, Chris from Vanuatu is probably not in the best shape and not well-liked as a winner by production, Earl is probably Too Old For This poo poo, Todd probably wouldn't be medically cleared, Bob is too old and production would rather memory hole Gabon entirely, Fabio is....come on, there was no way they were going to let him in an all-winners season if they could avoid it, and Cochran is a busy TV writer who kinda has too close of a personal friendship now with Probst to make it fair. and the last two seasons' winners were pretty unpopular, as far as I can tell.

weirdest exclusion, by far, is Mike Holloway from Worlds Apart.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Earl was apparently considered to be on S40, but he didn't feel it was right to go because of his newborn daughter.

Earl Cole posted:

I did talk to a few winners beforehand, but I knew I wasn't going. My daughter had just got out of the hospital, after being in there for 3 months! I was in serious dad mode. No time to go play a game, no matter how special the season.

Won't reveal any pre-game alliances, but I can tell you...those things usually fall apart anyway! :)
Source:https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/e9piab/earl_cole_ama/

I would have liked to see Earl again, though I have a lot of nostalgic attachment to his season in general.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 19, 2020

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Last I heard of Jenna, she was arrested for driving while on heroin or something like that. And last I heard from Todd, he canceled an RHAP appearance at the last possible second, which doesn't necessarily mean he's off the wagon, but still. I don't blame CBS for not wanting to open either of those cans of worms.

Still, it might have been interesting to see Ethan on a season with his ex-wife. :shrug:

I'm unreasonably invested in Adam, because Adam got me into "deep Survivor." My mom was watching the MvGX finale and I saw his story and thought to myself "that's loving fake." So I googled it, and instead of finding proof that it was fake, I found like a thousand interviews he did with nearly every Survivor podcast under the sun. So I listened to those, and wound up becoming really interested and invested in the strategy and drama of it all. And, I guess, liking Adam as a side effect.

I feel like Adam is an acquired taste, and I can totally understand why someone would find him insufferable at first glance. Jay had an Instagram story where he watched the premiere with DKChillin from last season, and even Dean was like "does he just always make intense eye contact when he talks to you like that?" And Jay was like "YES, and that's why I did not like him at ALL when we first met! ADAM, YOU NEED TO CUT THAT poo poo OUT." Even now, as someone who likes Adam, I'm aware that it's probably a case where repeated exposure to his flaws has inoculated me against them. Still, I kind of hope for his success. If it can happen to me and Jay and the rest of the MvGX cast, it can happen to this cast too!

(Incidentally, my favorite part of the trainwreck that was the RHAP tenth anniversary special was Jay coming up on stage with a bunch of other MvGXers and contributing absolutely nothing except the occasional one liner dunking on Adam for almost getting voted out first.)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Zesty posted:

Well, maybe he shouldn't have sexually assaulted another player. Turns out that poo poo follows you. :shrug:

Oh, just to be clear, I wasn't defending him at all. I didn't personally care to see him back for that reason as well.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Spatula City posted:

thinking about it logically the whole cast makes sense. Richard has legal issues, the producers might be concerned Tina is too old, Vecepia is not good TV, Brian...uh, well let's not talk about Brian, Jenna if I remember correctly had some kind of serious medical condition, Tom probably doesn't give a poo poo about Survivor after going out early in HvV, Chris from Vanuatu is probably not in the best shape and not well-liked as a winner by production, Earl is probably Too Old For This poo poo, Todd probably wouldn't be medically cleared, Bob is too old and production would rather memory hole Gabon entirely, Fabio is....come on, there was no way they were going to let him in an all-winners season if they could avoid it, and Cochran is a busy TV writer who kinda has too close of a personal friendship now with Probst to make it fair. and the last two seasons' winners were pretty unpopular, as far as I can tell.

weirdest exclusion, by far, is Mike Holloway from Worlds Apart.

Would have liked to see Mike over Ben even though his season was maybe the most embarrassing season up until this past one in terms of lovely people. They had similar stories on their way to winning but I felt Mike earned his more. IIRC he was in the majority alliance then kind of got turned on when he sided with Shirin when she was being bullied.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

freeman posted:

Would have liked to see Mike over Ben even though his season was maybe the most embarrassing season up until this past one in terms of lovely people. They had similar stories on their way to winning but I felt Mike earned his more. IIRC he was in the majority alliance then kind of got turned on when he sided with Shirin when she was being bullied.
Rodney had his own evil empire alliance that was starting to set its sights on Mike, which Mike overheard. Then Mike pulled his auction gambit where everyone bid on letters from home and he got last in line to pay for his letter and then after everyone else had spent, he turned around and walked back, which pissed everyone off. He backed down and bought the letters but that was when he went from being potential target to public enemy #1.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
The one winner that I, unironically, wish was there is Fabio. He was the shining winner we all needed in a poo poo dump of a season and while he's obviously a production nightmare, he's more entertaining and more of a winner that the fan base wanted in their seasons over someone like Michele.

Fabio vs Naonka is an epic tale all of our children should know and love:
http://funny115.com/v3_2/55.htm

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

Rodney had his own evil empire alliance that was starting to set its sights on Mike, which Mike overheard. Then Mike pulled his auction gambit where everyone bid on letters from home and he got last in line to pay for his letter and then after everyone else had spent, he turned around and walked back, which pissed everyone off. He backed down and bought the letters but that was when he went from being potential target to public enemy #1.

Yeah, my memory is he was in a relatively strong position of influence until he pulled that stunt and blew his entire game up. Him working with and siding with Shirin came after when they were both outsiders and like, who knows if he would have stood up for her if he was in the in crowd, but at that stage they both were pretty well out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Lord Bude posted:

I totally understand why Cochran didn’t want to come back but it’s still disappointing. His arc over his two seasons is the best thing that’s ever happened in survivor.

The best thing that’s ever happened in Survivor was Jeremy trying to get Keith’s attention in Second Chances.

Chili posted:

Oh, just to be clear, I wasn't defending him at all. I didn't personally care to see him back for that reason as well.

I was yelling at Hatch. No worries.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 19, 2020

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

SweetJahasus posted:

The one winner that I, unironically, wish was there is Fabio. He was the shining winner we all needed in a poo poo dump of a season and while he's obviously a production nightmare, he's more entertaining and more of a winner that the fan base wanted in their seasons over someone like Michele.

Fabio vs Naonka is an epic tale all of our children should know and love:
http://funny115.com/v3_2/55.htm

fabio would be so out of his element it would be incredible

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't remember Sophie much, but I'm digging her casual deviousness with Kim's goofy idol spill.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

splitsies idols are hilarious

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
lol at Denise finding the idol before Ben and wanting to pawn it off to Parvati.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
Man these edge of extinction segments are so boring compared to everything else.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

tony......

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tyson commenting on Tony could be a whole episode.

Rob's organization plan... why???? Just go!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 20, 2020

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

pre-emptive rip to rob

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, he going to meet he own wife tonight.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Sophie is absolutely murdering this game so far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yikes Danni! In front of Ben? These old timers bout to get a spankin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

ok now danni is melting down??