Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Fancys rugs and bewejeled CDs... hmm

Boomer starter kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So, Pier 1 Imports apparently filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm still not clear on what exactly Pier 1 is or sells so I'm not surprised they're dying. I gather it's like Ikea, but for people who like fake exoticism instead of Swedish modernism.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PT6A posted:

I'm still not clear on what exactly Pier 1 is or sells so I'm not surprised they're dying. I gather it's like Ikea, but for people who like fake exoticism instead of Swedish modernism.

I'm a fan of this guy's vids. Decent enough layman's history/summary of various companies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUX70ZWbWmc

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

It's all assembled, they're more like Wayfair if it was a physical store.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Also, the furniture is a side business. They mostly sell tchotchkes like glass orbs to put in a basket on your end table and signs that say things like 'LIVE LAUGH LOVE' and the sort.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Not directly retail, but apparently Tough Mudder has filed for Chapter 11. That is definitely gonna be one of those things we look back at in a decade or two and consider very of-that-moment. Like pet rocks in the 70s...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

less than three posted:

It's all assembled, they're more like Wayfair if it was a physical store.

Wayfair also cut 550 jobs last week which shocking only represents 3% of their workforce.

Why the gently caress does Wayfair need 17,000 workers?!?!?

https://www.boston.com/news/business/2020/02/13/wayfair-layoffs

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

15000 people to shill their lovely website on HGTV.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Not directly retail, but apparently Tough Mudder has filed for Chapter 11. That is definitely gonna be one of those things we look back at in a decade or two and consider very of-that-moment. Like pet rocks in the 70s...

Yea I remember doing lots of “mud races” back in like 2010-2014 at the height of the craze. A group of us used to train with and run them but we stopped because of life, family, and just getting older.

Yea I agree we’re going to look back at it as a very brief early 2010s fad.

A lot of them have been going under. Savage, rebel, ect. I think Spartan is doing ok tho?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea I remember doing lots of “mud races” back in like 2010-2014 at the height of the craze. A group of us used to train with and run them but we stopped because of life, family, and just getting older.

A lot of them have been going under. Savage, rebel, ect. I think Spartan is doing ok tho?

Anecdotally (and not sure if it's that much in the same wheelhouse) but Ragnar car stickers are still all over the PNW. I believe people that move here from outside the PNW get one along with a beard and a favorite IPA as a starter pack.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

Why the gently caress does Wayfair need 17,000 workers?!?!?

what the hell :psyduck:

Retail Collapse 2020: some excess, inefficiency, and even waste at times, in almost every area.

less than three fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 18, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Is anyone else seeing abnormally empty shelves in stores like target. I’m wondering if I’m seeing coronavirus effects or something local.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Can we include color runs in there too? Those seemed to be huge around then

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Is anyone else seeing abnormally empty shelves in stores like target. I’m wondering if I’m seeing coronavirus effects or something local.

You mean like the empty space at Menards where the dust masks used to be?

Yes.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Retrowave Joe posted:

Can we include color runs in there too? Those seemed to be huge around then

Oh yea I did a bunch of those too especially when Living Social was a thing. Seemed to be a living social/groupon deal for a color/glow in the dark/music/whatever run every other week. Some of them used to give out some really cool swag/gear.

Those all died out around the same time Living Social did.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Color runs were the perfect scam because people always assumed that they were for charity, then I found out that they usually gave a relatively tiny donation and pocketed the bulk of it.

Then the fad ended.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Organized "fun runs" of any kind are basically all huge for profit scams. Donate your money directly

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The “Tough Mudder” stuff was so ridiculous. It felt like little more than influencer types posing with their participation trophies and charging a lot of money for it.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

The “Tough Mudder” stuff was so ridiculous. It felt like little more than influencer types posing with their participation trophies and charging a lot of money for it.

It was someone's fetish run amok. I guarantee it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

An absolutely twisted variant of Ulillillia's Mind Game, at the very least.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Looking forward to the VR run where you're chased by a giant woman.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tons of people would get horribly sick from those mud runs too because it turns out having hundreds of people running through mud and getting it in your mouth and eyes can some how be a vector for disease????

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Tons of people would get horribly sick from those mud runs too because it turns out having hundreds of people running through mud and getting it in your mouth and eyes can some how be a vector for disease????

I never got sick BUT I got horrible poison ivy / poison oak on one because the trail wasn’t properly “cleared”. Half my body swelled up it got so bad I ended up at the doctors and on a mixture of oatmeal rubs and antihistamines.

They were a cool social activity because I was young and dumb and the obstacles were fun but they are also horrible on your body. It was very easy to get injured or just wear your body out. There is a reason my group just suddenly stopped doing them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I remember hearing about one particular incident because the event was held downstream of a chicken farm, so people got sick from chicken poop mixed in the mud.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

It was more than just getting people sick, at least one person drowned during one of their events.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I like how they try to paper over by it by slipping in

quote:

His death was the first in the three-year history of Tough Mudder, which has held more than 50 events with 750,000 participants. For comparison, marathons have a death rate of about one person for every 100,000 runners.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I did a mud run and got pink eye that was so loving bad

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I work at a home goods/ furniture store and c virus has delayed delivery if a bunch if product by at least 4 months.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just so many factories being closed for so long is going to be a big deal, fairly long term. How many smaller businesses are going to be in trouble just because all their suppliers have nothing to sell them? There are tons of places that if forced to randomly close for a month would go under.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just so many factories being closed for so long is going to be a big deal, fairly long term. How many smaller businesses are going to be in trouble just because all their suppliers have nothing to sell them? There are tons of places that if forced to randomly close for a month would go under.

Warehousing of goods and margin erosion due to domestic purchasing of needed items.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just in time logistics and putting most of our manufacturing in one place is good. Thanks capitalism.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Done properly it is good. Doing it properly involves math, modeling, and preparing/planning for problems like this, that is hard. Not done properly involves: inventory bad have less and order at the last minute.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

JIT logistics works well if your operations are good.

I run a 2 week supply cycle. And keep 3 weeks OH of items I need weekly. Im phome posying so this is shortened heavily. But basically i always have a week on hand when i receive my next supply drop. So a delivery gets lost or falls into the pacific ocean im still good for at least a week. The company I use as a middleman also warehouses a 3 week delivery for me. So on both sided of the transaction thetr is a good level of supply.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

less than three posted:

I like how they try to paper over by it by slipping in

I bet those runners were old people with heart complications, as opposed to a young person getting trampled and choking to death in mud

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

I bet those runners were old people with heart complications, as opposed to a young person getting trampled and choking to death in mud

Yeah my thoughts exactly

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember hearing about one particular incident because the event was held downstream of a chicken farm, so people got sick from chicken poop mixed in the mud.

The whole concept seems so inherently ridiculous I'm left wondering if there's anything you couldn't convince people to do in the name of working out.

Someone should start Goatse Fitness and see if you can convince people shoving large things up their arse burns calories.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

QuarkJets posted:

Organized "fun runs" of any kind are basically all huge for profit scams. Donate your money directly

Tough Mudder "benefited" a hilarious "charity" the wounded warrior project, which would literally throw parties for soldiers who were injured. That's it. They didn't like... give them money or help them get access to needed things like prosthetics. Nope, they just threw them a party. With the donations and fees. Less expenses.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The big housing start season is hosed this year. No one is getting nails as most runs leave China about now. So expect hardware suppliers to take a massive hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"What's good for Ford, is good for America, Senator."

* China stays in bed *

OH SHI-