Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Just don't run any sizeable amount through your bank as they will rob you.

If it gets sizeable enough, some banks will get you the treasury rate on moves between USD and CAD accounts with them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

That's the most Tangerine thing I have ever read.

I had largely migrated away from Tangerine but my rent was still pulled out of there so I'd just (pay) to send an interac e-transfer to it. They randomly added a 2 week hold on e-transfers so my rent bounced. It's not a cheque what the hell. That was the last straw for dealing with them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah they didn’t use to have the 3 week hold on my US cheque deposits either, so I’m souring on them too. Ive already moved my savings account out and my RRSP/TFSA staging area. Plus I don’t use their mastercard much anymore.. Need a new upstart bank now that they’re presumably being scotiabank-ized.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Subjunctive posted:

If it gets sizeable enough, some banks will get you the treasury rate on moves between USD and CAD accounts with them!

How benevolent!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My favourite part of looking at the CRA website for reference while I do my Ontario taxes is remembering that I had 35 grand in Ontario tuition tax credits that up and disappeared, but still show up as a record on the website just to taunt me.

I grew up in Alberta, went to university in Ontario, then went back home for a little while and came back to Ontario for work in spring 2018. When the provincial government canned the provincial tax credit, they still allowed carry over to future years....as long as you were an Ontario resident as of December 31, 2017. Otherwise they went null. I missed the deadline by a couple of months.

My parents paid for my school so I don't really have much of a claim to em, but it's still arbitrary and a bummer.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've made some investments into funds that seem to have quite a high management fee (1.5% iirc) with Credential Asset Management. At the time, I thought it was unusual, since, to actually make money off the investment I would need the investment bucket to perform above 1.5%, if I understand things correctly.

I'm still not sure I understand what the best strategy is here and I just heard about this thread. I would appreciate any advice that you all can give about my current and future investments.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Vasler posted:

I've made some investments into funds that seem to have quite a high management fee (1.5% iirc) with Credential Asset Management. At the time, I thought it was unusual, since, to actually make money off the investment I would need the investment bucket to perform above 1.5%, if I understand things correctly.

I'm still not sure I understand what the best strategy is here and I just heard about this thread. I would appreciate any advice that you all can give about my current and future investments.

That rate is so high that I wonder if you have the numbers right to begin with. The magic numbers of investing are that you should expect 2% inflation yearly and hope for 4% growth yearly. If you have a 1.5% MER then those investments will need to perform extremely well to break even. The ETFs people talk about in this thread are all under 0.4% MER.

Most people in this thread, I think, will tell you to sell those assets immediately and put them in VGRO or VBAL.

https://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios/

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Vasler posted:

Check out the canadiancouchpotato link above; you can do a lot better with low MER mutual funds or better with ETFs depending on your brokerage situation.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

xtal posted:

That rate is so high that I wonder if you have the numbers right to begin with. The magic numbers of investing are that you should expect 2% inflation yearly and hope for 4% growth yearly. If you have a 1.5% MER then those investments will need to perform extremely well to break even. The ETFs people talk about in this thread are all under 0.4% MER.

Most people in this thread, I think, will tell you to sell those assets immediately and put them in VGRO or VBAL.

https://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios/

Okay well, I looked it up and I was wrong - the MER of the fund I'm in with Credential is 2.35%. It's making money but it would be performing quite a bit better if I knocked 2% off the MER.

I've read through part of the couch potato site now. It looks like I'd need to set up my own broker account to purchase a VGRO/VBAL?

I assume it's possible to split my investment between the two (or more options) depending on my tolerance for risk?

I have to say, I'm a bit nervous about this. How difficult is this all to set up?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Vasler posted:

Okay well, I looked it up and I was wrong - the MER of the fund I'm in with Credential is 2.35%. It's making money but it would be performing quite a bit better if I knocked 2% off the MER.

I've read through part of the couch potato site now. It looks like I'd need to set up my own broker account to purchase a VGRO/VBAL?

I assume it's possible to split my investment between the two (or more options) depending on my tolerance for risk?

I have to say, I'm a bit nervous about this. How difficult is this all to set up?

The entire goal of being a couch potato is that it isn't much work, so you've got this for sure.

Re your broker: Yes, you will need to set up an account. This will be free and take at most an hour. I use TD Direct Investing since I bank with them already, but all my ETF transactions cost $10 and I design my trading plan around that. If you used Questrade like everyone here will suggest, there is no fee and you can freely trade ETFs.

Re your risk tolerance: When you're talking about managed ETFs like VGRO and VBAL, you aren't supposed to mix them. VGRO is a managed asset that has 80% stocks and 20% bonds; this is an aggressive, high-risk portfolio that is suited for younger investors. VBAL is something like 50/50 (can't remember) and you'd like it more if you were older or more risk averse.

Extra nerdery you don't need to understand: VGRO and VBAL are both different allocations of the same underlying stock and bond assets. So, if you are going to think about mixing VGRO and VBAL, you might as well just buy the underlying stocks in the allocation you desire, and save the extra MER. 50%/50% VGRO/VBAL would be the same as a 65%/35% stocks/bonds portfolio but with more MER.

xtal fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 26, 2020

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

xtal posted:

The entire goal of being a couch potato is that it isn't much work, so you've got this for sure.

Re your broker: Yes, you will need to set up an account. This will be free and take at most an hour. I use TD Direct Investing since I bank with them already, but all my ETF transactions cost $10 and I design my trading plan around that. If you used Questrade like everyone here will suggest, there is no fee and you can freely trade ETFs.

Re your risk tolerance: When you're talking about managed ETFs like VGRO and VBAL, you aren't supposed to mix them. VGRO is a managed asset that has 80% stocks and 20% bonds; this is an aggressive, high-risk portfolio that is suited for younger investors. VBAL is something like 50/50 (can't remember) and you'd like it more if you were older or more risk averse.

Extra nerdery you don't need to understand: VGRO and VBAL are both different allocations of the same underlying stock and bond assets. So, if you are going to think about mixing VGRO and VBAL, you might as well just buy the underlying stocks in the allocation you desire, and save the extra MER. 50%/50% VGRO/VBAL would be the same as a 65%/35% stocks/bonds portfolio but with more MER.

Ah, okay. Thank you, that makes sense. I'm in this for longer term investments. Alas, I'm not that young right now, I'm 40. I am (at the moment) financially stable and can afford to invest. My tolerance for risk may not be in the 80/20 range, but maybe it should be? I was thinking that 60/40 might be better? What do you think?

When I actually go to buy, I just basically put all of my investment into VBAL, for example, right?

Thanks again for your help.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Vasler posted:

Ah, okay. Thank you, that makes sense. I'm in this for longer term investments. Alas, I'm not that young right now, I'm 40. I am (at the moment) financially stable and can afford to invest. My tolerance for risk may not be in the 80/20 range, but maybe it should be? I was thinking that 60/40 might be better? What do you think?

When I actually go to buy, I just basically put all of my investment into VBAL, for example, right?

Thanks again for your help.

If you want a more stable investment that you can draw from in under 20 years, VBAL is probably a good bet. But I'm not your accountant or whatever. They have more conservative options for different risk tolerances.

With the managed funds like VBAL, which are relatively new, the goal is indeed that you put all of the investment in. Previously, the model portfolios had you balance your investments periodically by looking at their value and moving them around to maintain the same country/stock/bond/etc diversity. The managed funds like VBAL seized on that by doing it for you and charging a little more MER. So the average cost is slightly more expensive, but it handles all of the rebalancing automatically. That's especially impactful if you don't use Questrade and pay the $10 trading fee.

xtal fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 26, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why are there recommendations for vbal/vgro and not xbal/XGRO? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

Why are there recommendations for vbal/vgro and not xbal/XGRO? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something.

Those are perfectly fine too, I was being overly simplistic. Here is the model portfolio based on iShares instead of Vanguard funds:

https://cdn.canadiancouchpotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/CCP-Model-Portfolios-iShares-ETFs-2019.pdf

Note: not to be confused with XTAL

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 26, 2020

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Vasler posted:

Anecdotally, my dad's investments were with CAM and we discussed and he decided to sell early and pay a fee because losing 1% for selling too early was better than waiting 2 years to sell because of the huge fees associated with these investments. It's been about 5 years, and he's super happy with the couch potato investment style now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Check my post history, I talked about this a couple times.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

Check my post history, I talked about this a couple times.

Is it this post?

Guest2553 posted:

There's a slight premium. The ballpark cost of an 80/20 is about .15 (source, but that has a significant home country bias and TSX ETFs are cheap (MER 0.06) I tried to maintain global cap rate using XEC/XEF (0.26/0.22 respectively), so my overall cost was about 0.175. I thought about VGRO (0.25) when it came out but the 7.5bps premium was too much for the simplicity. XGRO was only an increase of 3bps and was worth it to me.
The extra time, asspain, and commission required to calculate and balance holdings between 6 accounts was worth the cost increase from 17 to 21 bps. It also made it a lot easier for my wife since she didn't have to break out homebrew excel spreadsheets, which is a nice benefit if you're less numerate or a confused old trying to wean off borderline predatory financial instruments. It doesn't get much easier than 'keep buying, never sell' as an accumulation strategy.

So you ended up in XGRO? This sounds like an argument for XGRO to me unless I'm missing something in there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

XGRO is 5bps cheaper than VGRO (so you'll save $5/year for every $10,000 you have invested). Their holdings are different, probably not in a way that will matter: XGRO has a slightly smaller proportion of Canadian equities.

Guest is saying they weren't willing to pay extra for VGRO compared to rebalancing themselves, but were willing to pay a bit less extra for XGRO. Both are more expensive than buying the underlying funds yourself and rebalancing manually.

Coming from a 2%+ expense ratio, both VGRO and XGRO are outstanding choices. Is it worth selling VGRO to buy XGRO? Depends on commissions, taxes, annoyance.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I don't expect an RRSP to mean poo poo within ten years, but employer contributions count towards year-end tax deductions in the meantime and mine will do up to 10% of my monthly income - but only through a Sunlife group plan.

What's the best poo poo Sunlife offers which I can throw it at? I tried to get onto their renewables portfolio, as that's been doing nicely in my TFSA, but it's not available for some dumb reason.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is WealthSimple worth anything? I finally paid off my debt and since I'm not paying rent, mortgage, utilities, and internet while I'm out in Arctic Quebec- I'm looking for a place to set my nest egg for a downpayment. Gonna be maxing out my RRSP, most of my TFSA, and putting the rest in high-interest savings and right now WealthSimple looks like my best option.

Edit: Essentially just looking for a place to throw my money at and not really think about for 3-5 years while I build a nice nest.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Not really, no. I mean, you can do much worse, but you can do meaningfully better with a tiny bit extra work. Pick a discount broker (thread favorite is Questrade because cheap, but any will do) and an asset allocation ETF (e.g. XGRO or XBAL) and you've replicated Wealthsimple. Anyone who can navigate this web 1.0 comedy forum can handle a broker's web interface.

The general wisdom for money you want to spend within 5 years is to keep it away from the stock market. (Some would say 10 years.) There's too high a chance it won't all be there when you go to sell. You're probably better off with a high yield savings account and/or GICs (pick your favorite from https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/ or their GICs list), either of which you can do in an RRSP and/or TFSA.

That said, if you're flexible on when you need the money (e.g. the market takes a dump in 4.5 years but you don't mind renting for a couple years while it rebounds), maybe equities are for you.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

pokeyman posted:

The general wisdom for money you want to spend within 5 years is to keep it away from the stock market. (Some would say 10 years.) There's too high a chance it won't all be there when you go to sell. You're probably better off with a high yield savings account and/or GICs (pick your favorite from https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/ or their GICs list), either of which you can do in an RRSP and/or TFSA.

That said, if you're flexible on when you need the money (e.g. the market takes a dump in 4.5 years but you don't mind renting for a couple years while it rebounds), maybe equities are for you.

Today is a perfect example of this. Every single gain my TFSA made in the past year or so since I transferred it to Questrade is just gone in a matter of days (and at a 2.5% loss right now). I'm not worried since it'll rebound, but if I was relying on that money, I'd be really pissed.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Today is a perfect example of this. Every single gain my TFSA made in the past year or so since I transferred it to Questrade is just gone in a matter of days (and at a 2.5% loss right now). I'm not worried since it'll rebound, but if I was relying on that money, I'd be really pissed.

I'm sure glad I waited until the last minute to contribute to my RRSPs so I could get in on these sweet stock market savings!

Also, if anyone is interested in fossil-fuel free investing, Desjardins made a one-fund globally-diverse equity fund with an MER that's borderline affordable (currently 0.69%), which is better than what's been available before. I switched over in December and it feels good (other than the market crash).

https://www.fondsdesjardins.com/etf/ri-global-multifactor-fossil-fuel-reserves-free/

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
My TFSA is exclusively a renewables / clean energy portfolio and it remains up 7% despite the stock crash. :chord:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rime posted:

My TFSA is exclusively a renewables / clean energy portfolio and it remains up 7% despite the stock crash. :chord:

So if the clean energy sector takes a huge poo poo you not only lose your job but also all your investments?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have $60K in my RRSP in TD e-Series funds using the Canadian Couch Potato allocation model that's 90% equities and 10% bonds. I also have about $25K in cash in my TFSA.

Should I be using ETFs instead of the e-Series funds?

I'm also thinking of playing around with some stocks..I bank with TD and they have 3 options for trading; margin accounts, cash accounts, and TFSA accounts. I don't want to mess around with margin as that can get scary. I figure the cash accounts or TFSA account would be best for me especially since I already have a TFSA with cash in it. I'm not looking to day trade or anything like that.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Rime posted:

I would love to see what equities you have, if you're open to giving us a breakdown!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

I have $60K in my RRSP in TD e-Series funds using the Canadian Couch Potato allocation model that's 90% equities and 10% bonds. I also have about $25K in cash in my TFSA.

Should I be using ETFs instead of the e-Series funds?

You could maybe lop off 0.15% in annual expenses with ETFs, which is $90 per year that would stay in your RRSP. You may incur commissions to buy the ETFs, not sure what TD's going rate is there but subtract that from potential savings. So sure you can minmax, but you're in a good spot. Can always revisit when your portfolio is larger.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

pokeyman posted:

You could maybe lop off 0.15% in annual expenses with ETFs, which is $90 per year that would stay in your RRSP. You may incur commissions to buy the ETFs, not sure what TD's going rate is there but subtract that from potential savings. So sure you can minmax, but you're in a good spot. Can always revisit when your portfolio is larger.
Thanks, that’s the sense I was getting from reading around. When you say “larger” portfolio are you talking like $150K+?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Dumb question, but it's tax time in Canada and I want to make sure I'm not screwing myself. I am using Studiotax to file my individual taxes. I contributed some money to my RRSP, but when given the option to "claim" the RRSP contribution to lower my taxes (or rather, increase my refund because I'm a low earner, whee) the estimated refund amount isn't affected. Should I hold off on claiming the amount so it carries over into next year and for the future?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
They should carry over automatically, there's a seperate place to claim unused credits. But it wouldn't hurt to keep your own records. No idea where you get at that part of the form in Studiotax, but uh, it's "Schedule 7" according to this link. If Studiotax is good it probably put all the contributions that didn't effect your tax bill in the right place already, but I'd double chck that.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...tributions.html

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 29, 2020

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thanks, that’s the sense I was getting from reading around. When you say “larger” portfolio are you talking like $150K+?

I had no particular dollar amount in mind, it's up to you really. Suppose you could save $10,000 per year, would you switch? If yes, somewhere between $1 and $10,000 is when you feel it becomes worthwhile.

The other side of the equation can change too, where familiarity and time make lesser savings worth doing. Maybe your Saturday night cancels, you find yourself with a spare couple hours to fiddle with a practice account at a discount brokerage, and you realize doing a couple limit buys every month isn't so bad. (Or you realize you hate it and it's not worth it.)

Just remember that you're not doing anything dumb by holding eSeries funds. You could stick with them forever and do great!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, my overall portfolio is down approx 8% from this time last week, which is a little unnerving but it would have been worse if I didn't sell a lot of ETFs/individual equities and consolidate half our portfolio into XGRO a few months ago.

That said, topped up my RRSPs yesterday, see the $$ are already showing in our RRSP accounts so I plan to buy more XGRO next week and ride it out.

I genuinely considered putting everything in cash that I could last Friday because my portfolio touched a magic number and was waiting for the corona shoe to drop, but it was after markets closed so I thought "Meh, maybe next week won't be bad!" :buddy:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I haven't touched my Questrade TFSA in 3 years and it's ETF allocation stayed exactly where I left it.

Money's been going into this account automatically so I have $7000 to spread around right now. I've never made a withdrawal from this account and have no intentions to.

Should I increase the allocation of equities with more aggression/risk? Just sell it all and dump it into a Couch Potato 60/40 (I think this is 100% VCNS?) or 50%VAB/50%VEQT ?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Yeast Confection posted:

I haven't touched my Questrade TFSA in 3 years and it's ETF allocation stayed exactly where I left it.

Money's been going into this account automatically so I have $7000 to spread around right now. I've never made a withdrawal from this account and have no intentions to.

Should I increase the allocation of equities with more aggression/risk? Just sell it all and dump it into a Couch Potato 60/40 (I think this is 100% VCNS?) or 50%VAB/50%VEQT ?

Are you retired? If not then yeah I'd go a lot heavier on equities. Even if you are retired that's still very very heavy on bonds. VCNS is 60% bonds 40% equity, but if there were ever a time to switch to a more equity heavy portfolio, after a major correction like this one is a good one.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I've got a minimum of 28 years until retirement. Couch Potato's investment horizon (11+ years) and willing-to-lose (probably about 30%) suggests I go way higher on equities. Definitely feeling the 50/50 split for easy of balancing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeast Confection posted:

I've got a minimum of 28 years until retirement. Couch Potato's investment horizon (11+ years) and willing-to-lose (probably about 30%) suggests I go way higher on equities. Definitely feeling the 50/50 split for easy of balancing.

You should just go 60/40 equities/bonds so you can take advantage of VBAL or XBAL. 28 years to retirement is a longgggg time in this world.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well I'm starting to buy in. Our RRSP funds got entered today and I had a couple GICs mature. Put it all in XGRO.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

Well I'm starting to buy in. Our RRSP funds got entered today and I had a couple GICs mature. Put it all in XGRO.

Probably a great time to do so actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Sold and dumped it all into XBAL. See you in 10 years :toot: