Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Nine of Eight posted:

Yuasa update: ride your wave was really sweet.

I'm in the theater to see it right now!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ride Your Wave grew my heart like three sizes. I wish it had an actual theatre run instead of this one night thing cause it's so good.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I smiled and I laughed and I cried. It was a very pretty and very touching movie. Only problem is that the screening I saw had something wrong with the subtitle timing so subs would flash on the screen early occasionally, but still a great watch.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
OP needs poll:

Who is ur Eizouken?

• Goblin Energy
  • Is Baby
  • Money Tree

Fangz pls

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

folks i'm halfway through the episode and i think this show might be extremely silly

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's eezy breezy.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lol that there's an HVAC club.

Mega lol at changing into a cardboard robot with wings.

I have no idea whether the attempted murders thing is the silliest reason they could think of for a show to be cancelled, or whether it's a reference to something that actually happened

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Qwertycoatl posted:

Lol that there's an HVAC club.

Mega lol at changing into a cardboard robot with wings.

I have no idea whether the attempted murders thing is the silliest reason they could think of for a show to be cancelled, or whether it's a reference to something that actually happened

i haven't watched the episode yet, but uh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Animation_arson_attack

there was also a copycat attempt a little while back, too

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's not that, it was "who would have thought the show would get cancelled because the director and the screenwriter tried to murder the producer?"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
With a katana, no less.

AN INVINCIBLE BODY AND A HEART OF STEEL

Robot club president was glorious. I'm glad Mizusaki's parents are cool and immediately Got It.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fuuuuck this episode is already off to such a strong start I fuckin' love this show. :allears:

e: Holy poo poo the HVAC Club hustle.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 23, 2020

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm not sure why Mizusaki was dressed as a manta ray but I'm glad she was.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This show makes me want to draw.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm going to assume they wanted a crab costume and that was the closest thing they could find

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

An amazing episode from start to finish.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The whole cardboard robot hustle was BRILLIANT.

I liked how the whole audience reacted to see their school on the big screen. Little touches.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's not that, it was "who would have thought the show would get cancelled because the director and the screenwriter tried to murder the producer?"

IS THIS FORESHADOWING?

(I think Kanamori would win 2v1 though)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think that was one of the best episodes of anime I've ever seen.

How are they going to go up from there?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nephthys posted:

I think that was one of the best episodes of anime I've ever seen.

How are they going to go up from there?

I don't know but I have no doubts they will.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm a week behind, but I just want to say that:
1) This opening scene with Mizusaki made me cry it was so good

and therefore

2) It was quite the emotional transition when the OP's cut to their silhouettes dancing made me laugh, like it always does

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't know but I have no doubts they will.

Considering I was asking the same question at episode 3, I agree.

The robot club's passion would bring a tear to Umitsubame Joe's eye, saying that right now.

Edit: Apparently, Mizusaki's mom is voiced by Noriko Hidaka, which explains why she was so quick to appreciate hot blooded passion in support of giant robots.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 24, 2020

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

God drat this show is just delightful

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Another series topper. I love this show so much.

It's also turned me on to chelmico, so it's double blessed.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Holy poo poo the Robot Club President powering up by singing his own hot-blooded theme song.

Anime of the goddamn year.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I really loved the parent interaction as well, kids always assume they’ll try to fight their decision but at the end of the day they just want to see their kids succeed :unsmith:

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Am I thinking about this too hard?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Will watch Keep Your Hands Off Robot Club!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thinking more about this episode a couple things I love:

How Mizusaki's daily life affected her drawings such as how she runs and how she holds her chopsticks.

How the show frames satisfaction. Mizusaki's parents have never been satisfied with their performances and neither was her and Asakusa with the anime they just created, but it's not treated as a bad thing and seems to be something normal. It feels motivational to me. :unsmith:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Professor Irony posted:

Probably not, wasn't the bit in the car in the first episode a Spirited Away homage?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Professor Irony posted:

lol no, they even do the parade from the second ghost in the shell movie

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mainly, I was thinking about how Jason Bourne Mizusaki's escape was (in the silliest possible way).

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was so cute!!! What a simply delightful show! Pure joy. The real world's horrors stop bothering me for 25 minutes a week. What a blessing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm always a fan of the shark teeth.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm always a fan of the shark teeth.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I love a good chase hijinks scene.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Mainly, I was thinking about how Jason Bourne Mizusaki's escape was (in the silliest possible way).

when i was watching that scene all i could think about was the scene in the matrix where neo is moving through his office via guidance from morpheus

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The robot club president's theme song is based on a number of references, obviously, but probably the most direct and obvious is Kotetsu Jeeg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBN1dZz-GoE

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Among the many things you can praise this show for, can I just say that I am super pleased to be watching an anime where the camera is not constantly ogling the teenage girl characters??

I love this show and every episode seems to top the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

Among the many things you can praise this show for, can I just say that I am super pleased to be watching an anime where the camera is not constantly ogling the teenage girl characters??

I love this show and every episode seems to top the last.

Yeah it's really impressive how the show's clearly making a certain amount of effort not to just have the girls be traditionally pretty in the way most anime ladies are(except maybe Tsubame, but she's A Literal Model in-story, so) while still having them be enormously visually charming.