Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i can't think of a single job or career (that exists) that i would enjoy

like there's literally nothing that i can picture myself getting up every morning and being excited to do

unless maybe i can somehow get paid to do birdwatching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

haha, ha, one!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

welcome to tilted towers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

downloading weed.exe

ho ly shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Kerrzhe posted:

like there's literally nothing that i can picture myself getting up every morning and being excited to do

Monster Hunter

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
discussion topic: limeade is better than lemonade

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hot take: all citrus is disgusting

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I got a bag of grapefruits a week ago and had a wild adventure of fruits that could barely be classified as grapefruits

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I ate a clementine orange earlier.

It was pretty good, almost as good as bread

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Kerrzhe posted:

I don't know that there are a ton of jobs out there that are like "wow I'm excited to work 8 hours today!" But generally a good job has aspects that are at least engaging and hopefully outweigh the annoying poo poo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kerrzhe posted:

Entrepreneurship.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I love being a scientist and wouldn't trade it for any amount of money in the private sector but I don't think there's any job where you're excited to get out of the bed in the morning. If there were, I'd be doing that on my weekends and wouldn't need an hour to wake up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I love being a scientist and wouldn't trade it for any amount of money in the private sector but I don't think there's any job where you're excited to get out of the bed in the morning. If there were, I'd be doing that on my weekends and wouldn't need an hour to wake up

Yeah, my job is pretty good and engaging but it's still a job.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

I used to think this also and bounced around between 4 or 5 university programs doing 1-2 years in each just feeling like everything was poo poo and then working trades jobs in the meantime. I eventually ended up as a critical care respiratory therapist and I unironically enjoy my work. For the most part it's actually fun, generally exciting, well respected, and the money is alright (about $90k CAD gross/year). We work all over the hospital wandering around chilling making friends having coffee and we get to work a lot of night shifts which is perfect for goon life. I honestly feel blown away lucky every time I think about how I used to work for like $16/hr in lovely construction jobs and now get to do something I feel is actually important and get to have some adrenaline at work which is a rare thing. PM me if you have any questions but there are lots of schools that offer the program (a 3 year diploma in resp therapy or a 4 year bachelors of health science). I'd recommend my work to anybody.

e: oh yeah we work 12 hour shifts, 2 days then 2 nights but it might be different in other places. We get 5 days off between sets it's amazing.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 20, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I loved my job as a city gardener way back. The pay wasn't good since it wasn't a permanent thing but I felt good going to work every morning.

In comparison, I'm good at my current job (and I have practically no handlers in the management) but since the work is essentially "you must protect the interests of the company from greedy customers" it's not very satisfying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tired: Loving your job so much you shoot out of bed every morning ready to face the day.

Wired: Getting such anxiety from your job you shoot out of bed at 1am in a cold manic sweat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think there's any job where you're excited to get out of the bed in the morning.

video game development, while you're young and haven't been screwed over yet

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

creative jobs are fun and get me out of bed

it's just that i have no desire to be creative off-hours as a result

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

Tired: Loving your job so much you shoot out of bed every morning ready to face the day.

Wired: Getting such anxiety from your job you shoot out of bed at 1am in a cold manic sweat.

Inspired: dreading your job so much you find yourself trying to figure out how to get into just enough car accident so that you can miss work but won't die or hurt anyone else

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Might wrap up GTA 3 tomorrow. Gonna start Dino Crisis and Metroid Fusion.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Infinitum posted:

Huh

Record of Lodoss War x Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdmKbXx6gtU
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203630/

Lodoss War is such a weird franchise to me, because I only learnt years later that it's literally based off the chronicles of a D&D session.
Like long before your Acquisitions Incorporateds, Critical Roles, and Adventure Zones helped popularise D&D to western audiences there was Lodoss War.

The anime is D&D anime and it owns.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

Inspired: dreading your job so much you find yourself trying to figure out how to get into just enough car accident so that you can miss work but won't die or hurt anyone else

Retired: finding your soul crushed so thoroughly by your thought-to-be dream job that you become suicidally depressed and completely unable to do anything else

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Retired means something else I think

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't feel like i have the mental fortitude anymore to try and do any more schooling, and i certainly don't have the money for it.

and now i'm just too depressed to even think about trying to think of a better future for myself. i just can't picture anything good.

but i did just watch 6 episodes of Cells At Work and knew pretty much everything that was going on so that's fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

Retired means something else I think

This is retirement for most of our generation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU&t=98s

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

before your Acquisitions Incorporateds, Critical Roles, and Adventure Zones helped popularise D&D to western audiences there was Lodoss War.

Not a video game (though I think it had video game adaptations) but wasn't Slayers the same way?

And not anime but also wasn't Daikatana partially just one of John Romero's tabletop sessions?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Speaking of jobs (and there has been tons of good advice in this thread about not being exploited) I am going back to school to learn a new profession and switch careers to counselling. I am doing the part time learning because I do still have to work to support myself but hopefully I will have a more rewarding future waiting for me once I have finished! :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Not a video game (though I think it had video game adaptations) but wasn't Slayers the same way?

Slayers is basically a comedy D&D session.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIhsTg2vpSs

Bastard!! is also very heavily D&D inspired.
There's a ton of really solid anime series from the 80s and 90s that do a lot of excellent high fantasy world building.

Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, and hell even The Vision of Escaflowne do traditional high fantasy really well.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Speaking of jobs (and there has been tons of good advice in this thread about not being exploited) I am going back to school to learn a new profession and switch careers to counselling. I am doing the part time learning because I do still have to work to support myself but hopefully I will have a more rewarding future waiting for me once I have finished! :)

Good luck! It will be very rewarding to finish your studies and have a job you enjoy.

May 8, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Good luck, I have also returned to school, going to grad school, so now you and I are in a race to finish first

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My VicTsing wireless mouse isn't working anymore after 9 months.
I'm guessing it got dropped too many times but now the connection dies even when charged. It was $10 and the batteries only lasted 3-4 months despite being advertised as lasting 15.
Where would I check if it had a warranty? Or should I just order a new one?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Let's rewind because I saw some Grapefruit Chat and you're all letting it slide like it's nothing let me put my Posting Gloves on HNNNNGH oh yeah now I'm ready,

gently caress your grapefruit. How dare it try to pass itself as one of the Good Fruits by including the word "grape" in its name. 'oh but the name refers to the way it grows' gently caress you I don't call an apple a Lemonfruit because it happens to grow on a tree.

If we're being accurate we should call Grapefruit a Horrible Orange because that's what it is. I don't go into the fruit eating game thinking "mmm I could sure go for the refreshing taste of licking a filthy pavement" I want a delicious healthy snack.

Every time I give it a chance I'm proven wrong. Don't call me a loser for it cause I've eaten olives and I can understand the appeal despite the fact they're not nice at all, grapefruits appeal evade me, the worst, get them out. Gimmie grapes. Don't ruin their reputation. Grapefruits are Star Citizen fruits: All hype when you see it but you'll be disgusted with the end result.

My nan used to feed me and my sister sugared grapefruit for breakfast and we used to have to swallow them without chewing it should have been Illegal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Songbearer posted:

gently caress your grapefruit.

dont gently caress your grapefruit

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grapefruits are more bitter-tasting than divorce

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Grouchio posted:

Grapefruits are more bitter-tasting than divorce

Laughed out loud at this

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

dont gently caress your grapefruit

There's a taiwanese movie called the wayward cloud if you want to see some watermelon loving

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Nectarines are the most fun fruit to gently caress because they're hardcore

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a taiwanese movie called the wayward cloud if you want to see some watermelon loving

thanks mr skin

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Dualshock Back Button is so weird. It does exactly what I want, turning the dual-shock into a faux Xbox Elite Controller, but I'm so not used to having what is essentially L3+R3 buttons that my brain can't coordinate my actions properly with it.

I'm sure it'll click shortly, but it's such a weird sensation.

Also forgot how legitimately good Arkham Knight is. Mark Hamill just eats up the screen as Joker, and the world design is top-loving-notch.
Had the battank been tweaked slightly it could have been the best in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Angel grapefruit technique dot mp4