Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pokeyman posted:

A small price to pay so nobody has pager duty in the wee hours.

i too hate to work the wee hours of the entire month of february

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I meant the 21 hours thing but hell yeah, if you could swing it why wouldn't you?

All them mom and pop web services taking a month off.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if it weren't a public service i think i'd be a lot more accepting of it. but it is and this isn't the 90s so we can legitimately expect public facing government infrastructure to be accessible for all twelve months of the year

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Feb 19, 2020

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fun fact about the Budget 96 "Jobs Up Taxes Down Debt Reduced Budget Balanced" budget web site: that was an ndp budget

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
im amazed at the amount of people that believe the pm can ask the rcmp directly to go arrest protesters

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

DariusLikewise posted:

im amazed at the amount of people that believe the pm can ask the rcmp directly to go arrest protesters

Yeah they're describing the exact nightmare scenario thats happening in the United States right now, unchecked power.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

direct control of police and the justice system is actual fascism

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/BrianPallister/status/1229971258915246081?s=20

:thunk:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Yeah they're describing the exact nightmare scenario thats happening in the United States right now, unchecked power.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

If only the rules of law said you can't build pipelines on someone's property without their permission!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I gotta say I love that Scheer was uninvited from the leaders conference yesterday. That was a lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

That's funny because if the US was trying to build an unpopular pipeline across Canada I would expect Canadians to angrily note that we should have a veto over US actions within our sovereign territory, and that if they told us "actually you have a voice but not a veto and there are ten times as many of us so we democratically decided that this pipeline will be built, majority rules" we would probably be pretty upset!

Periodic reminder that the Wet'suwet'en have never signed a treaty ceding their land to Canada or British Columbia, so by rights they are a sovereign nation that should have the freedom to control and, yes, veto anything happening on their land should they so choose.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

I gotta say I love that Scheer was uninvited from the leaders conference yesterday. That was a lol

who?

but seriously, he's barely even the leader of the official opposition at this point.

vyelkin posted:

That's funny because if the US was trying to build an unpopular pipeline across Canada I would expect Canadians to angrily note that we should have a veto over US actions within our sovereign territory, and that if they told us "actually you have a voice but not a veto and there are ten times as many of us so we democratically decided that this pipeline will be built, majority rules" we would probably be pretty upset!

Periodic reminder that the Wet'suwet'en have never signed a treaty ceding their land to Canada or British Columbia, so by rights they are a sovereign nation that should have the freedom to control and, yes, veto anything happening on their land should they so choose.

i am frankly amazed at the amount of effort the feds are going through to avoid just unilaterally claiming ownership of the land. you know they want to

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Justin would not enjoy the optics of triggering another Oka Crisis a tenth of the way through his minority term, even if it were legal for him to do so

snubbing Scheer was a funny flex, though. when is he going to finish being fired?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Sometimes I wish people would just be honest and admit they think might makes right and then there wouldn't be this ridiculous "voice but no veto" crap.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Dreylad posted:

Sometimes I wish people would just be honest and admit they think might makes right and then there wouldn't be this ridiculous "voice but no veto" crap.

If we keep pushing them eventually they'll have to.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
I think it's just a matter of time before the police rolls in and arrests all the protestors blocking the tracks. Public opinion is starting to sour (people don't like being inconvenienced and the media is pushing the Economic Crisis talking point hard). Politicians are referring to the protests as illegal over and over (as though building a pipeline through sovereign territory isn't a worse crime).

It's sickening really and Canada really is a colonial state.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Bleu posted:

Justin would not enjoy the optics of triggering another Oka Crisis a tenth of the way through his minority term, even if it were legal for him to do so

snubbing Scheer was a funny flex, though. when is he going to finish being fired?

I would very much like to see what happened in Oka in 1990 happen everywhere.mp3

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:jecht:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Jun 20, 2021

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh, there it is.

https://twitter.com/PeterMacKay/status/1230250986947698689

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Another truck drives through a protest.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6564165/wetsuweten-supporters-manitoba-blockage-truck/

Morris is the very racist town that harassed a gay couple that ran a bakery into leaving. A Jamaican lady opened up a restaurant in the same property after they left, and then she got chased out of town too for being black.

Rural Manitoba south of Winnipeg is absolutely horrible.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:jerky:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Jun 20, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

Worked for the other trudeau

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm just waiting for Justin to continue his legacy of doing everything his dad did but worse because he isn't smart enough to pull if off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"just watch me"

~falls down a flight of stairs~

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Hey protesters, whatever you do, don't create some kind of Schwellenpflug! Don't even Google it! And DEFINITELY don't BUILD ONE AND ACTUALLY USE IT! THAT WOULD BREAK MY loving HEART!

I was wondering why none of these people were heading out to the middle of nowhere to destroy some sections of track. There's no way in the world that they could secure the entire line, it seems like it'd be pretty trivial. Afterwards you just send a note to the media without disclosing the exact location and let em try to figure out where you were at.

Then do it again in a different place. It would hardly even cost anything at all. I guess that's assuming that anyone actually gives a poo poo about the wet'suwet'en or any other indigenous people though.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I was wondering why none of these people were heading out to the middle of nowhere to destroy some sections of track. There's no way in the world that they could secure the entire line, it seems like it'd be pretty trivial. Afterwards you just send a note to the media without disclosing the exact location and let em try to figure out where you were at.

Then do it again in a different place. It would hardly even cost anything at all. I guess that's assuming that anyone actually gives a poo poo about the wet'suwet'en or any other indigenous people though.

I imagine, like Riel, they don't want to seriously harm the larger body-politic so much as they want it to stop being so disrespectful and making excuses and just sit down and negotiate fairly with them.

If that doesn't happen then sure, more extreme sabotage could come into play.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Blood Boils posted:

I imagine, like Riel, they don't want to seriously harm the larger body-politic so much as they want it to stop being so disrespectful and making excuses and just sit down and negotiate fairly with them.

I feel like they would have to be way more naive than is possible to think that the government will ever do this.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I feel like they would have to be way more naive than is possible to think that the government will ever do this.

Sunny days friend!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Great, so Mr. Pallister wouldn't mind if we ran a pipeline through his back yard as long as most of his neighbors said it was okay with them? I mean, it won't affect their property, just his, but they all said it was fine, and hey, not everyone gete a veto.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Costa Rica is a pretty long detour for a pipeline running across Canada.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hence the blockades and protests to force the govt to do so.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Don Pigeon posted:

It's sickening really and Canada really is a colonial state.

Bulldozing Natives aside to save a couple bucks is a time honoured Canadian tradition. Pretty sure it's somewhere in our national anthem.

My uncle posted some quote by the premier of Saskatchewan going on about how they should listen to the "rule of law", and I cringed so hard I think I burst a blood vessel.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Retracted, but like... not really.

https://twitter.com/markusoff/status/1230565531045883904?s=20

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
MacKay is such an idiot himbo, and its sometimes hilarious like when Stronach dumped his rear end while defecting to the liberals, savage.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is he still basically expected to be anointed as party leader with little pushback? Because another weak dumbass like this would be great to have as their leader.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Does today's Blair/RCMP benevolent announcement translate as "we will leave if you give in to all of our demands we are good at negotiation" or am I crazy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I love how many cowards there are in the CPC. Just loving own it, it's good that some Albertans tried to murder protestors with their bigass truck yeehaw lock them up. It's like when Chris Alexander was confronted with a cheering crowd for perhaps the first time in his life where people were chanting "Lock her up!" in reference to Rachel Notley he didn't know what to do. This is your base, deal with it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Does today's Blair/RCMP benevolent announcement translate as "we will leave if you give in to all of our demands we are good at negotiation" or am I crazy
thats correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Seems more like a fake out to try to monopolize reason, like "I'm not touching you" type stuff so that they can go "see we weren't touching them! they're the unreasonable ones!"