Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
whats that? british cheating again? in other news water is wet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's not cheating to be cleverer than someone else. Also I thought Mercedes didn't count as British because they race under a German flag. This thread needs to make its mind up imho.

It's clever, doesn't actually break any rules but will 100% get banned for some bullshit reason if nobody else can reproduce it.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

It's only cheating once Ferrari realise they can't copy it

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

It's only cheating once Ferrari realise they can't copy it

Adrian Newey?? Is that you?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Fia loving around with Ferrari engine while Mercedes deploys an automatic suspension. This sport is a loving joke

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
In what way is the driver controlling the toe of the front wheels 'automatic suspension'?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

In what way is the driver controlling the toe of the front wheels 'automatic suspension'?

It automatically makes Ferrari mad

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

It's not cheating to be cleverer than someone else. Also I thought Mercedes didn't count as British because they race under a German flag. This thread needs to make its mind up imho.

It's clever, doesn't actually break any rules but will 100% get banned for some bullshit reason if nobody else can reproduce it.

the entire mercedes team is based out of some gross rear end shed in east shittinghamshire, i've always said it's a british team pretending its hardest to be a german one

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

track day bro! posted:

the entire mercedes team is based out of some gross rear end shed in east shittinghamshire, i've always said it's a british team pretending its hardest to be a german one

The Failrrari tears this season will be the most delicious yet.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Failrarri mission binnow marbloro racing just upset they’re already behind the pace and will lose out to Racing • and the tifosi will riot and string them up from their ankles in pastaroni square with no boil lasagna noodles and savagely beat them to death

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
i told you this is the reason why we aren't having an f1 thread this season because we are all boycotting formula 1 itt, in other news apparently theres gonna be more news for the new animal crossing today :jpmf:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Isabelle aiming for the top, much like Lance Stroll this year

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

It’s a mechanical device which alters the aerodynamic performance of the car which I’m pretty sure is 100% Super Banned

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the kentucky quid posted:

It’s a mechanical device which alters the aerodynamic performance of the car which I’m pretty sure is 100% Super Banned

:wrong:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Suspension parts are not allowed if they are designed in a way that they influence the aerodynamics/are part of the aerodynamics (ask Rebus, their front suspension was banned last year). So following this rule, as the suspension is currently deemed legal, changing it manually can't have an effect on aerodynamics because else the suspension would be banned. (of course this is all bullshit, but even the other teams currently say it's basically legal)

Jokes aside, I absolutely assume this thing will get banned, but it's Mercedes' last take at this before 21 when ride height change will be regulated. The Merc is known for changing the ride height especially on the front axle since years, teams are pushing the limits of POU suspension since at least one season, if not longer, and this is the final overture from Mercedes in that regard. It's peak F1, and it's great!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's not changing the suspension any more than steering is, don't be ridiculous

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

It's not changing the suspension any more than steering is, don't be ridiculous

It’s changing the alignment of the suspension at every degree of steering input, don’t be ridiculous

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
But is it changing the suspension angle in any different way than steering does? Other than turning both wheels in rather than one in and one out?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A bunch of posters boohooing about how Mercedes is leading the way in advancement, again

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Bad news everyone, steering is banned because it changes the aerodynamics of the car. Braking is banned now too, also acceleration.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

But is it changing the suspension angle in any different way than steering does? Other than turning both wheels in rather than one in and one out?

Yes because at any static position of steering input the suspension geometry is materially different with this device activated than what it would be without it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Post the regs that actually support your positon other than “Mercedes bad 😥”

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
at what point steering changes the suspension axis?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Yes because at any static position of steering input the suspension geometry is materially different with this device activated than what it would be without it.

Moving the steering wheel turns the wheels, it's just a different axis

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://twitter.com/MrAlexF1/status/1230429506722246656

totally the same as steering

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

We’ve been down this road with FRICS where it actually was tied to steering input which would actually make your argument work and it still was banned on the same basis so I’m sorry that you’re wrong 🤷🏼‍♂️

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I mean yes changing the cars alignment as you drive is an idea, especially in the way adjusting the toe can have a massive effect on how the car acts in corners. BUt the fact that they cant automate it means that it will be banned by the fia in about 5 seconds. its like the split brake pedal thingy mclaren did

It just adds another thing for the drivers to gently caress about with ontop of the 9000 other things that have to be adjusted mid corner

tuo posted:

Isabelle aiming for the top, much like Lance Stroll this year

one day i'll go back and finish doom 2016, but not for a long time because i still haven't finished black mesa even though im right near the end of xen I just kinda dropped it. i'm bad at fps

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Post the regs that actually support your positon other than “Mercedes bad 😥”

quote:

Any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom) and must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.

With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.18 [NOTE FROM YOUR FRIEND WICKA: this article describes DRS], any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This is all about aero bits and is completely unrelated???

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Alternatively they could just be using this as a test item to assist in identifying the optimum suspension setup / ride height / camber without having to send the car in and out of the garage.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It’s changing the alignment of the suspension at every degree of steering input, don’t be ridiculous

The regulations state that with a fixed steering wheel, change on the direction the wheels face or change of the inner diameter of the wheels is only allowed in vertical movement of the suspension.

The wheel is pretty clearly not fixed. It turns, and turmbones. Everything is fine.

e: here:

[quote "some guy at FIA"]
10.2.1 With the steering wheel fixed, the position of each wheel centre and the orientation of its rotation axis must be completely and uniquely defined by a function of its principally vertical suspension travel, save only for the effects of reasonable compliance which does not intentionally provide further degrees of freedom.
[/quote]

They are doing nothing wrong, it's just a way for Lewis to get in there quicker

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 20, 2020

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is all about aero bits and is completely unrelated???

Anything exposed to the air is an aero part. The tyres especially so.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rebus posted:

If this is the interpretation of that rule then the tires literally cannot move in any direction. Maybe this is the problem with Williams?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the cars alignment counts as an aero device tho? am i getting it totally wrong that they are playing around with toe angles which would be done by whatever suspension parts still exist on an f1 car and not using aero bits

Rebus posted:

ah, is this because all the suspension bits have aero poo poo all over them

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rebus posted:

Sprung or unsprung?

1.4 Bodywork :
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras,
camera housings, rear view mirrors as defined in Article 14.3, ERS status lights, the secondary
roll structure and associated fixings and fairings and the parts definitely associated with the
mechanical functioning of the engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and
engine exhausts are considered to be part of the bodywork.

3.8 Aerodynamic influence
With the exception of the parts described in Articles 11.4, 11.5 and 11.6, and the rear view
mirrors described in Article 14.3, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic
performance :
a) Must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
b) Must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not
having any degree of freedom).
With the exception of the driver adjustable bodywork described in Article 3.6.8 (in addition to
minimal parts solely associated with its actuation) and the parts described in Articles 11.4, 11.5
and 11.6, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance must remain
immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.
Any device or construction that is designed to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the
car and the ground is prohibited under all circumstances.
No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of
the parts referred to in Articles 3.7.10, 3.7.11 and 3.7.12, may under any circumstances be
located below the reference plane.
With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.6.8, any car
system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the
aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 20, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The FIA are aware of this and Mercedes feel fine with it but let’s write a thousand words about how it’s bad

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's cool and good, though!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tuo posted:

It's cool and good, though!

It is, OP. Mercedes continue to innovate and the other teams are having a fit because they weren’t smart enough to do the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

The point I was making is that tyre shape (and hence wake shape) has a huge impact on aero performance.

I have no idea if it's legal or not.

Either way it's pretty cool.