Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I poke around the raw stats in the health app when I want to see more detail. There's definitely no super awesome trend analysis in there, but there are some insights. It serves my needs at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

xzzy posted:

A lot of it feels designed for people that were already mega active, who somehow never have to work and do a 20 mile trail run every day before 5am to loosen up for their crossfit session at noon.

I feel the EXACT opposite. As someone who isn't that far off from your description, the Apple goals of "stand up" and "drink water" are loving ridiculous basic poo poo I knew how to do when I was in junior high school.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If your goal is less than a 1000, you're fat.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I’m pretty surprised by some of these move goals. I work a desk job but I assume a lot of you do. If I don’t hit the gym my calories burned only comes to 200-300. I’m walking up/down stairs and to other offices pretty frequently.

Hell I was just at an expo and did literally nothing but walked and I think my highest day was under 900 burned. What am I missing?!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

manwithoutskin posted:

I’m pretty surprised by some of these move goals. I work a desk job but I assume a lot of you do. If I don’t hit the gym my calories burned only comes to 200-300. I’m walking up/down stairs and to other offices pretty frequently.

Hell I was just at an expo and did literally nothing but walked and I think my highest day was under 900 burned. What am I missing?!

Shockingly, burning calories is hard! Running a mile burns under 200 calories. Bullshit!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

An hour of sprinting up and down a 200 foot sheet of ice to the point your legs are jelly and you can't catch your breath barely creeps above 400 calories. Double bullshit!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Don’t worry, you can still eat that 12” frozen pizza, you earned it. It’s just the watch playing games to get you to do more.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’d pay for an Apple Body if it meant I could stuff my gullet with pizza all day and never get sore.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You guys all need Ring Fit Adventure for Switch. Prepare to blow through your rings.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
My wife just gave me an Apple Watch 5 for my birthday. HOLY poo poo this is loving nice coming from a series 1. I didn't realize how much loving better these things got lol. The always-on display is the biggest deal probably, but wow this thing runs smooth, I didn't even realize my old one didn't until using this. The size of the display is more of a difference than I would have expected too, and it just looks nicer. The dB meter is slick too.

Anything I should look into that I couldn't do before? I know it has an ECG now, anything else major?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gay Retard posted:

You guys all need Ring Fit Adventure for Switch. Prepare to blow through your rings.

This. I easily burn at least 800 cals at least every session.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Well this sucks.

I got a 44mm 4 for Christmas. Refurbed, but very nice. Love it.

Except that today the strap decided to open on its own while I was shopping, dropping the watch face down onto a tiled floor. The screen is cracked to poo poo and some of it is blacked out.

This is going to be expensive as gently caress to fix, isn’t it?

No AppleCare, as it was a refurb. :/

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

This. I easily burn at least 800 cals at least every session.

What setting do you use for that? I used fitness gaming and got nowhere near close to that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Camrath posted:

Well this sucks.

I got a 44mm 4 for Christmas. Refurbed, but very nice. Love it.

Except that today the strap decided to open on its own while I was shopping, dropping the watch face down onto a tiled floor. The screen is cracked to poo poo and some of it is blacked out.

This is going to be expensive as gently caress to fix, isn’t it?

No AppleCare, as it was a refurb. :/

Apple's out of warranty repair (assuming they repair it) is $300.

What strap were you using?

I know it's too late and it was a gift, but this is a good reminder that if you're going to buy refurb, buy from Apple. You know it's not gonna be a dud and you can buy AppleCare for it if you want.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Apple refurbs also qualify for AppleCare. I bought AppleCare for my refurb Macbook Pro.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Also, it would probably still be in the 90 day non-Apple Care warranty window for hardware if it was purchased close to Christmas. Refurbs get a brand new warranty that's identical to new hardware.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dropping a watch and shattering the screen is not covered under any warranty.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Dropping a watch and shattering the screen is not covered under any warranty.

Its covered under apple care +

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

is there a charging dock for under 100 that will do the watch and qi for a phone without having to buy extra cables? it seems like every single stand under 80 doesn’t have its own discrete power so like why am i paying more than 20 for something i have to buy cables for?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been using this, no complaints with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Charger-Seneo-Charging-Airpods/dp/B07RKRBLPY/

It comes with everything you need except the actual watch charger (which you already have). The included usb cable is somewhat short. Three feet maybe? I don't remember anymore.

My only real annoyance is lining up the phone on the charging pad by touch. It took me a while to figure out there the correct spot is and I do okay, but it would be nicer if it had a stop or something I could use to make sure I got the right spot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have one of these. Comes with a power supply, and a USB-A port to plug a Watch charger into. Not quite what you want, but could work.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Endless Mike posted:

I have one of these. Comes with a power supply, and a USB-A port to plug a Watch charger into. Not quite what you want, but could work.

You clipped too much of the URL.

I think this is the product you're talking about :

https://www.amazon.com/mophie-Dual-Wireless-Charging-Pad/dp/B07XPDWZLF/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's it yeah. Thanks

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an original (series zero I guess?) stainless. Is it worth anything? I hate to just recycle it but those first watches were dog slow and pretty awful at anything other than showing notifications. Not sure what to do with it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have an original (series zero I guess?) stainless. Is it worth anything? I hate to just recycle it but those first watches were dog slow and pretty awful at anything other than showing notifications. Not sure what to do with it.

Get a stand for it and turn it into an alarm clock for your nightstand.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Worthless, unfortunately. Recycle it.

There's a rumor that WatchOS 7 will have a sleep tracking feature and the ability to switch between watches (sleep with the old one on, use your good one during the day), but I'm pretty sure it won't support Series 0.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They're still going for ~$75 on Swappa but only a handful sold this month.
https://swappa.com/wearables/buy/apple-watch-1st-gen-38mm

If you price it low enough it will move.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

There's a rumor that WatchOS 7 will have a sleep tracking feature and the ability to switch between watches (sleep with the old one on, use your good one during the day), but I'm pretty sure it won't support Series 0.

lol what a lazy loving band-aid alternative compared to designing a watch with a decent battery capacity

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You've been able to switch between watches for awhile. That's nothing new.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

You've been able to switch between watches for awhile. That's nothing new.

Yeah, you can pair multiple watches to your phone. Hell, if you wanted you could have two S5 watches. One for the day and one for the night.

Honestly, even with what I'd call moderate usage (med tracking, daily exercise, weather and message alerts, occasional phone calls) I'm still getting over an entire day usage (barely) on it so I don't know why you'd bother. I just pop it on the charger mid morning for an hour or so when I'm at my desk.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried multiple sleep trackers but found that 1. The data didn't help me at all and 2. I don't like sleeping with a watch on

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I already know I don't get enough sleep, I'm not sure how having a graph telling me this can help.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I haven't bothered with sleep tracking in awhile since I didn't know what to do with the data when I got it. It's just not actionable in any way beyond "maybe I should go to sleep earlier?"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I still have my Series 2 (haven’t been assed to post it on Swappa yet) but I did experiment with using the S2 at night for sleep tracking with Autosleep and then wear my S4 during the day. It got weird and didn’t track / handoff things well. It marked me sleeping while it was on the charger at home while I was at work and other oddities.

I have a charger in my Car and with my long commute it keeps my S4 charged since I don’t do that at night and works well enough, but having this work better would be a neat solution if the two watches handed off to eachother better, which it sounds like WatchOS7 may.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Currently lying awake worrying about my sleep metrics.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

withak posted:

But how are your water metrics?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Sleep tracking works better as part of your bed anyways, which Apple seems to know because they spent a bunch of money on Bedit and have done basically nothing with the technology.

And annoyingly SleepNumber will import Apple Health data but won't export to Apple Health even though it tracks respiration, heartbeat and sleep quality which are Apple Health data points.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

withak posted:

Time to stand!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

jink posted:

Time to stand!

Already met my stand goal tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I actually find sleep metrics super practical, when I feel lovely at work the first thing I do is look at how I slept the night before and it's almost always because I slept poorly and have a cause I can identify e.g. went to bed much later than I thought I did, drank too much caffeine, ate too much too late, etc.