Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
on the topic of outsourcing recommendations, anyone have recco's for *reliable* laundry services (bed linens, mainly) for hotels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Like, you work for a hotel and want to hire a service?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Correct

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

On allergies, I agree that it's your responsibility to advocate for yourself, and people should expect to do so. On plating, I genuinely only discovered in the last decade that it's okay to ask the chef, "Can I have the side from Dish A with Dish B"? Somehow I always thought that was in the same category as "Your onion soup, but make it vegan".

Carillon
May 9, 2014

How's crab season been treating everyone? I've been loving the season, I felt like last years wasn't great so good to see this coming back with full force. Price wise I've been seeing 7-8 bucks a pound for the live ones out off the boats in HMB.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I wasn't sure if I should ask here or in the other Bay Area thread but does anyone know where I can buy some 50 50 Brewery beer?

The particular beers I'm looking for are their Eclipse beers and the only place I've found it is at the Beer Garden in Redwood City for a crazy high markup. Like $30 a can price.

https://fiftyfiftybrewing.com/eclipse?lnk=nav

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Looks like both Daly City and San Mateo Total WIne have some in stock, specifically the Rye and the Salted Caramel according to their website.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Did Monk's Kettle change owner or chef or something? Went there tonight and their burger was definitely not as good as i remembered.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Carillon posted:

How's crab season been treating everyone? I've been loving the season, I felt like last years wasn't great so good to see this coming back with full force. Price wise I've been seeing 7-8 bucks a pound for the live ones out off the boats in HMB.
Got a few from 99 Ranch in Richmond maybe a month or so ago at 5.99/lb (live). I haven't actually gone crabbing this season, should give it a shot before it's over...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody know where to get good bread in the south bay? I was just up in Berkeley with a friend and got to check out Acme, which had a huge variety of different breads. But when I try to look for bread/bakeries down here, it's mostly pastries and cakes.

I just want a decent selection of reasonably priced loaves of bread, but it's been hard trying to find something anywhere near San Jose. The closest I've come is Manresa, but from the website, their offerings seem surprisingly scant.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 2, 2020

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

404notfound posted:

Anybody know where to get good bread in the south bay? I was just up in Berkeley with a friend and got to check out Acme, which had a huge variety of different breads. But when I try to look for bread/bakeries down here, it's mostly pastries and cakes.

I just want a decent selection of reasonably priced loaves of bread, but it's been hard trying to find something anywhere near San Jose. The closest I've come is Manresa, but from the website, their offerings seem surprisingly scant.

Though a smaller selection than their retail stores in SF and Berkeley, Acme is available in select grocery stores in the South Bay. Here’s a list of stores that carry it by city.

aqu fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 2, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

404notfound posted:

The Acme down here is consistently stale. Try As Kneaded; I think it's very good, and for whatever reason it's fresh the day you buy it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for both Acme and As Kneaded, though what I'm really hoping to find is a shop that I can regularly return to and try out different fresh-baked things. I'm not impressed with what Manresa's website shows, but I'm probably still going to end up there at least once just to see what they have in person

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

404notfound posted:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for both Acme and As Kneaded, though what I'm really hoping to find is a shop that I can regularly return to and try out different fresh-baked things. I'm not impressed with what Manresa's website shows, but I'm probably still going to end up there at least once just to see what they have in person

If you do go to Manresa bakery, I suggest going earlier because they sometimes sell out of stuff.

I was there a couple of weekends ago to get some Valentine's day chocolates and I mostly saw pastries but there was some bread.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

As Kneaded is made near my house in San Leandro, so I’m glad it’s making its way all around the bay. On the weekend the sell stuff out of store front and have some really good sticky buns in addition to the loafs

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Might be too far north for you, but Backhaus does some amazing stuff. They definitely have some nice variety too if you get there early enough.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here is a ramen question for those who may know.

I had ramen from these places:

Orenchi
Santa Ramen
And a random food truck I forget which!

And they were all bad. I’ve had ramen from Nojo several times and it has always been very good. This made me think I didn’t liked pork based ramens. However, I had Ramen Nagi the other day which is pork based and was good. I also recall my ramen from Iza in Lower Haight being good.

Are those other places just bad or is there some weird thing going on with my palate? Like Orenchi and Santa Ramen were actually gross, and I only ate more than a few bites attempting to be polite. If I had been by myself I would have left, and I think I threw away the one I got from the food truck.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I’ve had Orenchi Beyond and it wasn’t good. Goku is good but not great.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
The presence of a lineup doesn't mean it's good ramen, just that it's ramen in the Bay Area.

The longest line I've had to wait (that actually turned out to be the best ramen) was at Mensho Tokyo, but that was a chicken (Tori Paitan) broth, not pork.

My office is within spitting distance Iza's SoMa branch, so I actually have multiple data points for this one. I've found that it's variable--some days their house "Tonkotsu-like" broth will be amazing, with layers of umami, flavour and salt. Other days it'll just be overly salty and cheap tasting. To the point that, uh, it's not a good look for a ramen place, but I just go for their tuna "poke" bowl for lunch.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Santa was good when it was located where Ramen Dojo is now. I’ve only sporadically eaten at the current location, but the quality has gone down over the years.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm not a Santa Ramen fan myself, the time I went I had what sounds like a similar experience. I've personally really liked Ramen Parlor, been a few times and always been good. Also I've only been once, but did enjoy Maru Ichi in MTV.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'll go ahead and warn you off Sobo Ramen if you decide to come over to the East Bay. Tasty, but not 100% authentic. Like, maybe 99%. I've suspected that their tonkotsu mixes a dab of Chinese fermented bean curd in to give it a little extra kick. (It makes sense, being located in the heart of Oakland Chinatown.)

I don't recommend Ramen Shop on College Avenue, their dishes are more.... Ramen-styled, than authentic.

Absolutely, wholeheartedly recommend Marufuku on Telegraph, but you need a reservation, or be standing in line fifteen minutes before they open, or you're gonna be looking at a two-hour wait (in my experience, at dinner). Sometimes you can sneak in a spot at the communal table, which is bench seating, but no guarantees. This place is like high-end steakhouse ramen. Their takoyaki is also great.

I found Itani (also on Telegraph) to be unexceptional. I remember going there but not being especially wowed?

A bit to the south, Angry Ramen in San Leandro is where I'm going to these days, because I CBA to drive past my house from work, get ramen, and then double back to go home. It's the only ramen joint I've seen that keeps and uses a refractometer on their broth, and the head chef is a known quantity of being a hardass for what comes out of the kitchen; he also runs a sushi joint called Angry Sushi. I think you can see a pattern. I'm not sure it's "you gotta eat here", but I feel good about having it as a semi-frequent lunch option as a changeup from the usual bowl of pho. (Definitely don't go to Joe's Pho, also in the same area, though, they started out pretty good, but their bowls are overpriced and under-meated over time, a trend that has accelerated since they busted down the wall and opened up into the adjacent unit for expansion.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 17, 2020

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Are those other places just bad or is there some weird thing going on with my palate? Like Orenchi and Santa Ramen were actually gross, and I only ate more than a few bites attempting to be polite. If I had been by myself I would have left, and I think I threw away the one I got from the food truck.

I haven't been to Santa Ramen but Orenchi is definitely pretty good. If you reacted badly to it maybe there's a particular ingredient you don't like that's in some of the broths.

Have you been to Mensho in SF? That place is really good as well although I guess you won't be able to visit anytime soon. 😥

My Single Thread reservation is definitely gone since I was supposed to go on 4/4. :smith:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'll go ahead and warn you off Sobo Ramen if you decide to come over to the East Bay. Tasty, but not 100% authentic. Like, maybe 99%. I've suspected that their tonkotsu mixes a dab of Chinese fermented bean curd in to give it a little extra kick. (It makes sense, being located in the heart of Oakland Chinatown.)

Ramen in Japan does this too, that sounds awesome and you should eat it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don’t care if Sobo isn’t authentic, it owns.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So do I. Sobo Ramen is where I go when I'm already at home and want Ramen, I was just warning that such things may also not agree with Toe Rag's palate.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Ramen Shop is delicious, it's just in no way authentic.

Ippudo is very authentic, and also delicious, especially since they started offering the spicy bomb.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ive gone to Hinodeya a few times cus its close to my work and its pretty good

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Thanks guys for the poke tip! we went to Santo market in SJ for lunch just now. It was gooooood. They closed the store but their side window is open for both poke and groceries. They've got rice (!!!), spam and the usual stuff in stock.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Favorite takeout spots in the peninsula that are doing cocktail deliveries? Seeing lots of cool articles from places in SF or East Bay but the only one I've come across so far is 31st Union in San Mateo.

I need a drink.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'd call and ask if Mortar & Pestle, the cocktail bar behind/attached to Curry Up Now is going to. They have food to meet the requirement so might be something they do!

Fake edit: just looked and turns out they say the bar is closed on the website so I guess not.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mixing at home is fun and good. Invest in an ice shaver.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Where can I get 'nduja in the city?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

luminalflux posted:

Where can I get 'nduja in the city?

Sadly all of the muni trains have shut down.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm glad I got to go out early March before the virus shut down everything. Sons and Daughters was a bunch of fun, loved most of that meal. PCH though before dinner was a revelation. Those cocktails were amazing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Was saying earlier today, I don't know how you extroverts are handling this quarantine. Today I got fed up because the short list of places that I do go to are all diminished in capacity. My ramen and pho places are takeout only, and that's a non-starter, I was craving Korean barbeque, but like, sit-down, so I can get the banchan plates, and there's no real good way to get good dol sot bibimbap to go. Gym was closed a month before this because the roof caved in, can't go to the LGS, and my usual Mexican place severely curtailed their hours and are closed on the weekends.

And so I went grocery shopping and swung by the bubble tea place and by the time I got home, I felt good for a few more weeks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

honestly I think bay area people just get everything delivered from meal sets to tampons*, since 3 years ago

I'm going to invest in cardboard box companies

*dental floss if this doesn't apply to you

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

peanut posted:

honestly I think bay area people just get everything delivered from meal sets to tampons*, since 3 years ago

I'm going to invest in cardboard box companies

*dental floss if this doesn't apply to you

The Walgreens by my house shut down about six months ago, and personal care products at Safeway are all locked behind plexiglass so yeah, literally ordered dental floss online yesterday, because gently caress waiting around for 15 minutes in aisle 7 until an employee begrudgingly opens the locked door for one item.

Previously you could get this at Walgreens without fighting the plexiglass monster, but I'm

A) not gonna go inside a pharmacy unless I absolutely have to right now
B) clearly me patronizing brick and mortar retail isn't stopping Walgreens from shutting down half their stores last fall

Online shopping killed brick and mortar retail, yeah probably 3 years ago sounds about right. In the bay area I bet, particularly so, as eventually you just give up and don't want to play the parking game any more. I could drive to the store, but getting out of my parking garage, not getting hit in traffic, then fighting for a parking space, fighting the plexiglass monster, getting shamed for forgetting my reusable bags, actually buying the object and then going home is a minimum 30 minutes project. Typically at least a solid hour.

We started walking 15 blocks to the other grocery store and back when we lived in Oakland because getting in and out of the parking lot during peak times was just absolute madness. Made that mistake exactly twice.

If I absolutely have to go somewhere or do anything we plan to go at off peak hours, typically 15 minutes before they close. We know all the locations that close early and skip those in favor of the ones that close at midnight so we can go at 11:45pm instead of fight the crowds at 9:45pm

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
God, and how. The internet went out at my place around noon on Sunday, so I figured I'd hit up my local Costco to stock up now that panicky stupid people have stopped panic-clearing out the shelves.

That was a mistake. The San Leandro Costco has started limiting the number of people allowed in the store at once to 200 and dispatches batches. The resultant line outside stretched from the entrance, all the way to the parking lot on the left, then doubled back past the entrance, past the exit, all the way to the tire center bays. It looked like a line at Disneyland.

I declined to wait and got groceries elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

if you're in San Jose and enjoy Nashville hot chicken sandwiches and Paper Plane, try and get a sandwich from Scratch. They're a food truck operating out of Paper Plane right now.

https://www.instagram.com/scratch.sj/

after a few days of trying, we managed to get some of the sandwiches (sells out in <3 min online as they open up slots) and the spiked lemonade from PP.

100% worth it