Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

how'd you find my grandma's browser history from 1994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Sega Ages Sonic 2 for switch is currently out in Europe and will be out shortly in America, let's go buy this game for the fourth time!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fourth time? Lightweight.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just can’t find it in me to grab any of these ports. M2 does a good job as usual but the Christian Whitehead versions are definitive to me. It pisses me off they’re still not on console and PC.

In the words of our dearly departed Cybershell, gently caress you Sega.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you clear Sonic 2 with the all emeralds and level select on it counts as beating the game and unlocks Super Sonic mode.

Also they show a picture of the Sonic & Knuckles logo for Knuckles mode.

The joycons also vibrate when hitting enemies, monitors, or springs.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 20, 2020

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dehry posted:

The joycons also vibrate when hitting enemies, monitors, or springs.

That sounds miserable.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Since when has force feedback been bad?

It's only bad when it goes way too hard, which i would hope this release is good enough to not fall for.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Force feedback's fine, but it can be abused and overused. Depends on the implementation, as always.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah I know, i'm just confused by the instant negative reaction to "this game has rumble"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
it really depends on the implementation but having rumble for such a common event is usually bad, particularly in a platformer.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the joycons usually have really good rumble tho

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Sonic 2 is now out on the E-shop

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just can’t find it in me to grab any of these ports. M2 does a good job as usual but the Christian Whitehead versions are definitive to me. It pisses me off they’re still not on console and PC.

In the words of our dearly departed Cybershell, gently caress you Sega.

No kidding. I'm really disappointed they never brought them to PC despite the Whitehead version of CD being on Steam. It's almost dumb that Id infact pay 5-10$ each to have those versions of S1 & S2 in my steam library over the genesis collection stuff.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oxyclean posted:

No kidding. I'm really disappointed they never brought them to PC despite the Whitehead version of CD being on Steam. It's almost dumb that Id infact pay 5-10$ each to have those versions of S1 & S2 in my steam library over the genesis collection stuff.

The widescreen makes the games sooooooo much better it’s crazy. I also love all the new additions.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Kurieg posted:

it really depends on the implementation but having rumble for such a common event is usually bad, particularly in a platformer.
You might as well say having a sound effect for jumping is a bad idea because its a common action in a platformer.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

You might as well say having a sound effect for jumping is a bad idea because its a common action in a platformer.

it is if the sound effect is annoying

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I kinda hate any fan game that uses the Sonic CD jump sound. I don’t get what people see hear in it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

I kinda hate any fan game that uses the Sonic CD jump sound. I don’t get what people see hear in it.

I agree, especially because iirc the reason it had a different jump sound was a complete accident/bug/not on purpose

The Genesis one is a lot more...bass-y? It sounds better

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Stux posted:

it is if the sound effect is annoying
Yeah but it works great if its good?

Rumble absolutely should be used for haptic feedback when you jump on an enemy thats what its for.

Like I was literally playing Mario Odyssey yesterday and that game uses subtle rumble for pretty much every instance of friction Mario has with the gameworld and its great.

Plus if you don't like rumble you can turn it off in the settings on a game or system level.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

delete rumble from all controllers and save space for bigger batteries. this is my manifesto.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stux posted:

delete rumble from all controllers and save space for bigger batteries. this is my manifesto.

This but smartphones and change rumble with cameras.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No no, bring back Rumble Paks like the N64, but for cellphones.

Edit— and the Game Boy Camera (and Printer) but also for cell phones

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean technically phones already have rumble built in.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Move the rumble to an external jock strap peripheral.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, remind me, what's the name of the art school that the japanese mega drive box art is based on?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Watterson still has the best February cartoon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23QMuI8DJjc

Sonic 101

October 1st is a Thursday (just saying)

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
Weren't we supposed to get some sort of news on the 20th of every month? Did I miss something that only popped up in Japanese somewhere or something?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That Sonic 101 video was it; they aren't going to do anything too big when the movie is just out. Maybe next month.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tp-i2gmsPQ

It's going to be somewhere in that video.

E:
http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/sonic2020/20200214_002177/

google translate posted:

As part of the "SONIC2020" project, which provides various information related to "Sonic", the official Sonic series live broadcast program "Sonic Station LIVE!" Will start broadcasting on the 20th of every month!

The first broadcast to be commemorated will be delivered from 18:00 on Thursday, February 20, 2020. The program features a variety of Sonic's creative director Kazuyuki Hoshino and Sonic's series sound director Jun Segami as MCs, and will provide you with a wide variety of up-to-date information on Sonic.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 22, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Can't believe Sonic is crossing over with PlatinumGames

alternative post: 101 * 20 = 2020 :aaaaa:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So here's something that occurred to me. In the first very bad no good trailer, Sonic says "Basically, I'm gonna have to save your planet." implying that, I dunno, there's some kinda threat that he has to save Earth from, I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDa8i75PpM&t=88s

That is....completely gone from the finished movie. There's no threat to Earth at all, it's all about Robotnik trying to catch Sonic. So, I think we can probably chalk that up as another Hesse change.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, originally that was a reference to the space lizards that Sonic was hiding from, and him having to deal with them if they found him.

They never did though, so the line probably would have been cut anyway in order to keep the story focused.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

33 hours later: SRB2 still owns and the custom character modders are excellent people.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Saw the movie, enjoyed it. Then started reading the spoilered posts in this thread and lol'd when I realized that I wasn't the only one who started counting how many times Sonic hit Eggman's machine at the end of the movie.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Xad posted:

Saw the movie, enjoyed it. Then started reading the spoilered posts in this thread and lol'd when I realized that I wasn't the only one who started counting how many times Sonic hit Eggman's machine at the end of the movie.

All of the changes Hesse did make will be forgotten because of the one change he failed to make.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Hesse saved this movie and I hope he gets the recognition for it. It looked like dog poo poo before he got his hands on it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Now it looks like different dog poo poo.

This movie should not be.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think the best comparison for Tyson's contribution to the movie is Eric Stoltz being replaced by Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future - the content of the movie would have been 90% the same either way, but it wouldn't have been as successful if they didn't change the lead actor. Nothing in the Sonic movie with a human actor in it was reshot, and the only scenes added or revised after Tyson came on board were the prologue and the turtle scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Hesse saved this movie and I hope he gets the recognition for it. It looked like dog poo poo before he got his hands on it.

It sounds like Tyson's contributions to the movie were uniformly positive, but I think it would be more accurate to say that a whole lot of people's good work was very close to being totally wasted by one bad decision before common sense prevailed. That common sense happened to come in the form of Tyson's re-design and story changes.