Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Season 2 was decent, just way to up its own rear end trying to do parallel timelines when all it did was make the story less cohesive. The parallel structure of the first season was great and actually showed character development, season 2 felt like it was put together that way just so it would come off as intelligent or deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Exactly. Like barfing up a jigsaw puzzle.

If the fragmented plot was supposed to be deep... well, I think they failed.

But if it was supposed to make it near impossible to guess the ending, then, it succeeded.

But gently caress you, Nolan. I looked at the box, and I know just what you're barfing up

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The way it was presented was unquestionably bad, but I also thought the story was just weak. It presented an uninteresting set of events which lacked the imagination of the first season and squandered a whole lot of potential. There was no examination of the nature of consciousness, and it never got into the meat of the transhumanist (trans-host? trans-corporeal?) ideas lurking at the fringes. Not to mention the much shallower characterizations compared to the first season.

That being said, enough time has passed that I've let go of how disappointed I was and am tentatively anticipating a new, standalone Blade Runner riff.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That slow motion, fluffed up scene at the end where everyone’s trying to get through the big rip before the clementine virus gets to them and they’re playing emotional music like it’s supposed to matter was so loving stupid.

What a waste of an island full of essentially terminators.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jealous Cow posted:

That slow motion, fluffed up scene at the end where everyone’s trying to get through the big rip before the clementine virus gets to them and they’re playing emotional music like it’s supposed to matter was so loving stupid.

What a waste of an island full of essentially terminators.

Lol, cuz gods fuckin' forbid a big chunk of them maltreated AI's find an escape from the hellhole that is existence.

I think they earned it, myself.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Weird coincidence that the thread was resurrected right when I finished the season. It took a year to get through it, in comparison to the first season which we blew though in a couple weeks.

Maybe it would have been better if I went through it quickly, but god drat it got tedious near the end.

By the last episode, the only arc I actually cared about was Akecheta's, who we've only know for around 4 episodes. He's a great dude who just wants everyone to go to heaven, and they had to ruin it with another dumb scene where hosts are mindfucked and slaughter each other.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm really glad the Akecheta episode was self-contained rather than strung across the whole season, because when I rewatch the show I can do season 1 and then a single episode from season 2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

feedmyleg posted:

I'm really glad the Akecheta episode was self-contained rather than strung across the whole season, because when I rewatch the show I can do season 1 and then a single episode from season 2.

I really liked the stuff with Delos, and that showdown near the end, with the fire... holy poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The father in law robot episode was really drat good as well.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Darko posted:

The father in law robot episode was really drat good as well.

Yeah, that was the best episode of the series for my money. This show is frustrating because when it's good.....it's SO loving good. "Maeve sees upstairs" is one of the best sequences of television I've ever seen. Thandie Newton delivered so much emotion without saying a word and that cover of Motion Picture Soundtrack, it all just hit like a ton of bricks. William turning on the Confederados was just a big but they went nowhere it. This show is all over the place but the highs are so good I won't give up on it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BrotherJayne posted:

Lol, cuz gods fuckin' forbid a big chunk of them maltreated AI's find an escape from the hellhole that is existence.

I think they earned it, myself.

The season didn't take the time to clarify this well, but only a portion of the hosts had actually achieved sentience. Most were just operating on their built in narrative just without being contained to a resetting loop. For this reason, and the fact that the entire season regularly and brutally disposed of hosts and humans like it was nothing, this moment did not feel earned to me in the slightest.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The season didn't take the time to clarify this well, but only a portion of the hosts had actually achieved sentience. Most were just operating on their built in narrative just without being contained to a resetting loop. For this reason, and the fact that the entire season regularly and brutally disposed of hosts and humans like it was nothing, this moment did not feel earned to me in the slightest.

Well, the final outcome was the low sentience/non sentient hosts either died or were set free, and the high sentience hosts broke out, yeah?

And let's be honest, the plump and feted tourist guests and the low sentience hosts really *were* nothing, objectively, yeah?

Or at least, that's what I felt. They were basically mooks, just with a bit more internalized motivations

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Is there a good recap of season 2 somewhere? I remember the really good episode featuring the tribe of native Americans, and that some hosts escaped, and some like, ascended into a matrix style safe haven 🤷🏻‍♂️

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

https://collider.com/westworld-timeline-explained/#2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Thanks, very in depth. that’s exactly what I needed.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

beanieson posted:

Thanks, very in depth. that’s exactly what I needed.

That's what I had up on my tablet when I finally managed to make it through season 2 on like my 4th try

Like, I'm overusing the barfing up a jigsaw puzzle analogy, but it really holds true to how I finally loving managed to make it through and pick out the pieces I enjoyed

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

March!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeEn609nkRs

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
As long as Ed Harris is in it I will continue watching.

I do wish the show could go back to writing and quality of season 1. My hope is it's at least better than season 2...

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They've essentially launched a new show with only a few familiar characters, so it does have the potential to be really good, but I'm fully anticipating a beautifully shot mess pretending to be deep.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They've essentially launched a new show with only a few familiar characters, so it does have the potential to be really good, but I'm fully anticipating a beautifully shot mess pretending to be deep.

:same: and I can't wait.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Thermonuclear incident in Paris, huh?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Combat Pretzel posted:

Radioactive baguettes...killed tens.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

To be fair, the creators originally said S1 was basically a prequel, setting up the "real show" they wanted to make. Maybe they extended that to S2 as well, and S3 will jump off from that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

alright so some matrix poo poo now or something. is this what mr robot was teasing us with time travel or something. whatever it is, this got my interest piqued, im optimistic for no real reason besides this cool trailer and whatever its implying

fantastic, good!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

100% on board for this. Gimme the best you got, Westworld!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Astroman posted:

To be fair, the creators originally said S1 was basically a prequel, setting up the "real show" they wanted to make.
That was one of the most exciting parts of the end of S1.

"Oh my god, this is just a prelude to everything that happened in the movie! The possibilities!"

:eng99:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Show is good and I am excited for a new season in :siren: two months!!! :siren:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

That was one of the most exciting parts of the end of S1.

"Oh my god, this is just a prelude to everything that happened in the movie! The possibilities!"

:eng99:

And the first season set it up perfectly. They could have immediately moved to two locations/stories instead of trying to recreate the parallel timeline magic.

One story follows the aftermath at the park. The other follows Maeve and maybe some other surprise hosts that got out into the real world, with the arc being the hosts that escaped subverting Delos’ attempts to regain control of the park or something.

Instead we got Tedbot3000 and The Big Rip.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Teddy freaking out about his murderbotness and killing himself was a good little plot tho.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The problem wasn’t tedbot 2.0 the problem was season 2 was a disjointed confusing mess. Season 3 please do better...

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BrotherJayne posted:

It was like watching some dude vomit up a jigsaw puzzle.
Season 3 thread title, please.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TK-42-1 posted:

Teddy freaking out about his murderbotness and killing himself was a good little plot tho.
If S2 opened with Tedbot, and was just like a slow reveal through half season of "we don't want to replace people with hosts" (because that's where Futureworld took it) but instead "we want to offer eternal life for the megarich" it would be something.

Especially because that would be built on the endless cycles of suffering perpetrated on semi-sentient hosts.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/HW4v8gX.mp4

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

As uneven as season 2 was, I'm still excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJbFA32_QY

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow, that trailer literally inspired and destroyed my confidence in the franchise multiple times. They are really going full-bore anime and that honestly kinda owns.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

duz posted:

As uneven as season 2 was, I'm still excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJbFA32_QY

As uncultured swine who really enjoyed Season 2 and is Team Dolores-Charlotte, I'm very excited for this. The only way I can see hating this season, is if the robots lose. I've consumed enough fiction in my life to understand that artificial life is just unequivocally superior to organic life, beaten only by the Good Ending option of a blend of both.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks neat. But I think I'm going to have to finally let go of the idea that the series is interested in exploring any philosophical ideas at this point.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

feedmyleg posted:

Looks neat. But I think I'm going to have to finally let go of the idea that the series is interested in exploring any philosophical ideas at this point.

Theyre interested in the philosophical idea of what if robots but sexier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
So they went from a little show with themes about the nature of man, mind and what is to be a human and went full anime? what the gently caress