Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Mercedes are going to argue the motion of the wheel backwards and forwards means it's not fixed.

Nobody thought to specify that 'fixed' is intended to mean 'no rotation'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Noone is saying that it won't be banned, we're just saying it will be banned because of the oppressive tears of Ferrari and RBR, not because it actually breaks any rules.

"but but but it makes the wheels turn in a way we didn't think of!" turns out that's called innovation nerds.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

NtotheTC posted:

Noone is saying that it won't be banned, we're just saying it will be banned because of the oppressive tears of Ferrari and RBR, not because it actually breaks any rules.

"but but but it makes the wheels turn in a way we didn't think of!" turns out that's called innovation nerds.

Exactly this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sounds like British cheating to me. Signs of desperation?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Sounds like British cheating to me. Signs of desperation?

Sounds like brave British inspiration against Italian fascism OP, history repeats itself

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That would make sense if it were McLaren or Williams, but what have Merc got to be desperate about?

But if it's what people need to accept that the Brackley team is in fact British and not German

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
i mean it will be even more british once the germans pull the plug on their f1 program

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rebus posted:

I have no idea if it's legal or not.

What do you know about front suspension, rear mirrors and why did you design them?

No, gently caress that, I'm actually happy to see Williams closer/with the pack. The performance last year really hurt. I know that first week of testing is smoke and mirrors, but I really hope for a packed midfield without a real backsetter, and really hope Williams will be able to fight the other midfield teams for points or even dominate that field (fighting with Ferrari).

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 20, 2020

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

how does changing the toe in of the wheels while the car is moving not violate 10.2.3, isnt that adjusting the suspension system?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's not changing the suspension. Teams tried to use that rule against Mercedes already, and it seems that if the change is purely induced by the steering component of the front axle, it's not a part of the suspension.

Of course this is also bullshit, because all teams have rear axles that steer dependant on load, and that's not purely vertical.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

how does changing the toe in of the wheels while the car is moving not violate 10.2.3, isnt that adjusting the suspension system?

Because they’re british and not Ferrari 🙄🙄🙄

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also everyone is missing the most important question about the last two days: why is Ocon's head higher than the halo? How could they make a car which they couldn't fit the driver into? The next time you hear a buzzing sound at Renault, I assume it's a bone saw.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Are you guys mixing up toe with camber or something? Why is this so controversial for you

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tuo posted:

Also everyone is missing the most important question about the last two days: why is Ocon's head higher than the halo? How could they make a car which they couldn't fit the driver into? The next time you hear a buzzing sound at Renault, I assume it's a bone saw.

Ocon is tall and the halo isn't rollover protection.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

tuo posted:

all teams have rear axles that steer dependant on load, and that's not purely vertical.

What does this mean? The angle changes relative to the front axle?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

What does this mean? The angle changes relative to the front axle?

All(?) teams have passive steering on the rear axle, as much as the regulations allow.

Big Huski Boi posted:

Ocon is tall and the halo isn't rollover protection.

gently caress safety, I'm talking about aerodynamics.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Sounds like brave British inspiration against Italian fascism OP, history repeats itself
I think you'll find that it is in fact ingenious German cheating, a cheat so good it will be difficult to prove and sanction against. Ferrari may be awful at cheating but we all know that when the Italians do something bad, the Germans will carry it out much further and with greater technological success.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Grosjean with an off around a corner, and the commentators chuckling how it might be part of Drive to Survive, very good

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tsaedje posted:

It's not cheating to be cleverer than someone else. Also I thought Mercedes didn't count as British because they race under a German flag. This thread needs to make its mind up imho.

It's clever, doesn't actually break any rules but will 100% get banned for some bullshit reason if nobody else can reproduce it.

It is absolutely cheating. From the FIA Technical Regulations:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I'm both the world's leading F1 Engineer Lawyer and incredibly objective, and it is obvious to me that Lewis' car is very legal, in fact all the other cars are the ones breaking the rules

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

poty posted:

I'm both the world's leading F1 Engineer Lawyer and incredibly objective, and it is obvious to me that Lewis' car is very legal, in fact all the other cars are the ones breaking the rules

Not only is it very legal it's also very cool.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

gret posted:

Not only is it very legal it's also very cool.

I'm reading article 420.69 of the sporting regulations and it clearly states this device is, and I quote, "freaking sweet"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MustardFacial posted:

It is absolutely cheating. From the FIA Technical Regulations:

That's clearly to do with active suspension systems. The suspension changing as a result of moving the steering is already, and obviously, legal. The FIA at the moment are comfortable saying the way Merc have done this is fine. To rule it illegal they need to be convinced that the way Mercedes are moving the steering (one theory is by moving the whole rack forward and backwards to pivot the track rods I believe) constitutes something illegal. At present they must have been persuaded (having actually seen how it's being done) that it's not materially different to affecting the suspension as a byproduct of moving the wheels in the normal way. It's up to the other teams to work it out and change their minds if they think it's worth less effort than just copying it.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Mercedes and Hamilton should be allowed to cheat as much as they want in order for Hamilton to scrub Schumacher's fraudulent records from the books.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Mercedes and Hamilton should be allowed to cheat as much as they want in order for Hamilton to scrub Schumacher's fraudulent records from the books.

This, but they don't even need to cheat to do it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Absolutely sickening that the second they’re outside the jurisdiction of the European Court british teams start cheating an absurd amount.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's been several examples recently where the FIA has let poo poo fly until other teams protested or the stewards got a closer look. I don't think the fact that haven't explicitly banned yet means anything.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Big Huski Boi posted:

There's been several examples recently where the FIA has let poo poo fly until other teams protested or the stewards got a closer look. I don't think the fact that haven't explicitly banned yet means anything.

It’s not even that, they let poo poo fly when it’s clearly illegal too like FRICS. The FIA are garbage at regulating this poo poo or even understanding what they approve.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Big Huski Boi posted:

It means that Merc have an argument for how it's legal that satisfies someone at the FIA and nothing more. But that's how F1 loophole engineering always works. If another team can find a better argument that it's illegal that's one route to get it banned, or they could just moan until the FIA restrict steering wheels to one axis for 'safety reasons'.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Dr Marko thinks that the cheating mercedes DAS its illegal and should be banned. Id trust his judgement over the judgement of the lunatics who post ITT.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

It means that Merc have an argument for how it's legal that satisfies someone at the FIA and nothing more. But that's how F1 loophole engineering always works. If another team can find a better argument that it's illegal that's one route to get it banned, or they could just moan until the FIA restrict steering wheels to one axis for 'safety reasons'.

It means that the FIA itself doesn't actually enforce their own rules. They can say "yeah we think it's illegal" but that's meaningless if a team protests and the stewards disagree. It's an idiotic system but regardless the FIA's current stance has little to do with whether or not it will be allowed in Melbourne.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Big Huski Boi posted:

It means that the FIA itself doesn't actually enforce their own rules. They can say "yeah we think it's illegal" but that's meaningless if a team protests and the stewards disagree. It's an idiotic system but regardless the FIA's current stance has little to do with whether or not it will be allowed in Melbourne.

But at least it's something to talk about :unsmith:

We could talk about the pink team scrapping their car a year early and deciding to do their best to carbon copy last year's Merc instead.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Let’s talk about my $2000 synthesizer and how it’s the most fun thing I’ve bought in years

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

the kentucky quid posted:

Let’s talk about my $2000 synthesizer and how it’s the most fun thing I’ve bought in years

I'm down, what did you get?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the kentucky quid posted:

Hell yeah let's do it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

Dr Marko thinks that the cheating mercedes DAS its illegal and should be banned. Id trust his judgement over the judgement of the lunatics who post ITT.

"I prefer the judgement of an actively fascist and racist paedophile over some well meaning idiots on an internet forum" - Zeta Acosta 2020

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I got a Teenage Engineering OP-1. It’s probably the most accessible synth I’ve ever used and it’s almost like a piece of art itself. Right now I’m doing a house inspired piece sampling the “clean shirt” scene from Peep show

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

NtotheTC posted:

"I prefer the judgement of an actively fascist and racist paedophile over some well meaning idiots on an internet forum" - Zeta Acosta 2020

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My only complaint is that there’s no force feedback on the keys but I’ve kinda got used to it now. But just look at this thing 🤩

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Hey whatever floats the Navy destroyer you fantasise about using to shoot immigrants in rafts with.