Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

I too have been playingsuffering through pocket camp since day 1.

This was part of what finally broke me from the game. Most of the cool new stuff was in the fortune cookies, or costs tickets as part of events. Between that and having the level caps constantly raised I finally burned out hard about a month ago.

I still log in each day though to collect any freebies, because I was afraid of what the cross-promotion with New Horizons would entail.

I did link Pocket Camp to my Nintendo Account. Maybe that's enough to get the freebies? If it is, I'm fine. If you actually need to accomplish things in Pocket Camp to make things happen in New Horizons, then I'll be mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The crazy thing is that the way multiplayer will work here kind of makes me want to re-think my preordered AC switch and just stick with having one in the house so my wife and two daughters can all just live in the same town. I guess I have a month to think about it!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Now that we know for sure how big the map is has anyone done any map size comparison to past games?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

After the direct all I can say is:

Things on walls and multiselect when decorating is cool.

Flick please move to my island immediately.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Policenaut posted:

Oh god, oh gently caress, Nintendo has a Pachislot machine for the Pocket Camp connectivity stuff oh poo poo I'm gonna have to go download that now just to get it for my gambling hall.

Not gonna lie, I started getting really, really excited when they showed off all that stuff. It's insane how much this game has advanced Animal Crossing.

It's not a pachislot game. It's a plain old slots machine.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

glassyalabolas posted:

It's not a pachislot game. It's a plain old slots machine.

Alright well I'm still gonna have to get it.

I hope they have some kinda smoke machine that really works in this game too. I tried to make a dirty, smoky mahjong parlor in New Leaf and the smoke options were limited at best.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Dammit. I guess I'm gonna download Pocket Camp again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

vanisher posted:

The real question is can you make cliffs on cliffs on cliffs to make a pyramid with your house at the top

Rewatching the direct I noticed this, check the back

So we might actually be able to do this, at least up to three tiers

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

Wal-Mart has wallpapers for some reason.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wonder if the villagers’ tents automatically upgrade to houses over time or if it’s one of the upgrades you have to pay for.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

I wonder if the villagers’ tents automatically upgrade to houses over time or if it’s one of the upgrades you have to pay for.

Only Island Kings shall have houses.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait to build Mother Base.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

these are dope

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
So the getaway islands are randomized now? Gonna be hard to get those golden bugs to pay off my loan now.

Anyway I loved everything I saw in the direct and will watch it again tonight to check if I missed out on stuff. I'm finally thinking about planning my island out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

People are pointing out that the rescue feature shown in the Direct, used Resetti's theme music and audio.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

hopeandjoy posted:

I seem to remember they talked about the villagers having their own loans with Nook that they pay off at their own pace. Maybe upgraded villager houses are coming!

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

Electric Phantasm posted:

Rewatching the direct I noticed this, check the back

So we might actually be able to do this, at least up to three tiers

Sweet

Looking forward to some beautiful stacked waterfall/river systems

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I need to build a skull mountain for my island lairhome.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I just need some gosh darn bat villagers :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

I need to build a skull mountain for my island lairhome.

I definitely hope to see a "pirate cove" themed island.

I wonder if you can just outright dig out a bay and just have the whole town around the water/coast.

E: Suddenly a little sad we're limited to a single island per switch. Sort of would love to be able to make additional islands so I could try gimmicks like the above idea while still having a "main" island?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 20, 2020

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Gonna try and saw my island in half just to see what happens.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If experience has taught me anything, I won’t have patience to make everything pretty.

Come to my island for the real deserted “paths and decorations are for people without adhd” island vibes.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Oxyclean posted:

I definitely hope to see a "pirate cove" themed island.

I wonder if you can just outright dig out a bay and just have the whole town around the water/coast.

E: Suddenly a little sad we're limited to a single island per switch. Sort of would love to be able to make additional islands so I could try gimmicks like the above idea while still having a "main" island?

Animal Crossing Archipelago

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Since you can put stuff outside and choose where the villagers houses are, you could divide the island into themed zones by evenly spacing all the villagers out around the island and then decorating their surroundings to match their personalities.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Gonna make my entire village a water grid so you have to hop everywhere

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waffle! posted:

Gonna try and saw my island in half just to see what happens.

I don't really see why you wouldn't be allowed to have a river run the full length of the island, that was pretty much how you'd have regular towns? You should always be able to access the pole tool to let you cross, but then again, is there any limit to how wide you can make a river? You can certainly carve out lakes. Then again, I suppose "getting stuck" is a non issue since once you can make rivers, you can just as easily fill them back in.

I wonder if there's any limit to just how much you can fill - could you just rid yourself of any rivers at all?

Gripweed posted:

Since you can put stuff outside and choose where the villagers houses are, you could divide the island into themed zones by evenly spacing all the villagers out around the island and then decorating their surroundings to match their personalities.

Yea, I was just thinking along those lines - every house/building has it's own little mini "island." Unless there's a cap to how many bridges you can have...

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

I'm going to recreate the movie Waterworld.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Once you can terraform poo poo, you won't really need bridges except for aesthetics, since it looks like you can just hop across rivers that are one tile wide, no vaulting pole necessary.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Color Printer posted:

Once you can terraform poo poo, you won't really need bridges except for aesthetics, since it looks like you can just hop across rivers that are one tile wide, no vaulting pole necessary.

I'd imagine you'd probably need at least some 2 tile wide rivers for fish spawning if nothing else.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Bridges are very aesthetically pleasing to me. I had the fairy tale bridge in NL along with floor tiles that matched the bridge pattern. Looks like that will be way more possible and easy in this game.

edit: one of the hardest parts of new leaf for me was getting the public works suggestions that you actually wanted to build. I hope that is much easier in this game.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/mayorjersca/status/1230513102061539328?s=19

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

I said come in! posted:

People are pointing out that the rescue feature shown in the Direct, used Resetti's theme music and audio.

The Resetti Rangers, coming to reset your location back to your tent.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

mikemil828 posted:

The Resetti Rangers, coming to reset your location back to your tent.

Resetti Brothers!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hi, guys, it’s a month til release, I’m ready to come back to Animal Crossing and get hyped!

Also, I wasn't expecting the Amiibo cards to work with this version, looks like I might be able to offset some or all the cost by selling some Welcome Amiibo cards I have in the back of my closet. :stonklol:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I'm now officially hyped for the game. Looking through Twitter for all thing animal crossing

https://twitter.com/celesse/status/1230565915474792456?s=19

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
:ducksiren: The main site has been updated!
http://www.animal-crossing.com/new-horizons/

some different short video clips

(sorry if someone caught this and posted already)

e: looks like a similar donation type thing to build stuff which is cool and good. Also it looks like this clarifies (maybe) that you pay to build your villager homes

e: bamboo trees oh snap

vanisher fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 20, 2020

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The city planning and island customization stuff is really exciting, and I really hope they bring back the Dream Suite because players were making absolutely incredible stuff back in New Leaf and this seems like it's gonna elevate that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/rancherlex/status/1230509290470936577?s=20

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/20/21143335/animal-crossing-new-horizons-nintendo-switch-preview-hands-on

Brief write up from someone who spent just 45 mins with the start of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jade Mage posted:

I decided to find and read through the thread after catching the hype-bug from the direct, and wanted to congratulate these two posters from near the start of the thread!

It really is a dream come true!

Policenaut posted:

Oh god, oh gently caress, Nintendo has a Pachislot machine for the Pocket Camp connectivity stuff oh poo poo I'm gonna have to go download that now just to get it for my gambling hall.

Wait, no, it's a nightmare after all, luring me in with sweetness to stab me in the dark!

Wait no, it's still a dream -- this can't be real.