Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Crackbone posted:

I"m a bit shocked at all the corporate bootlickers on BGG coming out of the woodwork trying to justify the change or explain how it's reasonable.

Why would you be shocked by craven nerds on BGG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Crackbone posted:

I"m a bit shocked at all the corporate bootlickers on BGG coming out of the woodwork trying to justify the change or explain how it's reasonable.

Really?

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

One day they're going to announce a MODOK expansion and I'm going to poo poo my pants (and someone else's too) and then they're going to reveal some horrible modern sleek redesign and I'm gonna buy it through gritted teeth like a little bitch. I can feel it.

This may or may not be your cup o' tea, but just FYI if you are a big MODOK fan, there's a CMON Marvel game (Marvel United) on Kickstarter right now that has MODOK as one of the villains in the base game (with a MODOK mini to boot).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On the other hand it's a CMON game with minis, and they're all poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Crackbone posted:

I"m a bit shocked at all the corporate bootlickers on BGG

Are you really, though? I don't float between too many online communities, but BGG is pretty bad when it comes to anything but questions with objective answers. Like this is the community that exalts Tom "Quiverfull" Vasel. I don't think it's capable of deep self reflection or criticism.

Edit: oh there was a new page

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

On the other hand it's a CMON game with minis, and they're all poo poo.

I like Rum & Bones as a 2 player game. And I hear Blood Rage is also good.

But yeah, most of their bloated and expensive mini-heavy kickstarter games are mediocre at best. And I'm tired of KS exclusives being a thing. They are the worst company by far when it comes to that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My wife tried to post in whatever the BGG women in gaming forum is and got moderated when she kept calling out all the dudes trying to tell women how to think and feel about everything.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Crackbone posted:

BGG has one of the most insufferable userbases on the planet, largely because their mod policy creates a bullshit baby safe space for egomaniacs who think they're intellectuals.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chubbs posted:

I like Rum & Bones as a 2 player game. And I hear Blood Rage is also good.

But yeah, most of their bloated and expensive mini-heavy kickstarter games are mediocre at best. And I'm tired of KS exclusives being a thing. They are the worst company by far when it comes to that.

I have yet to play Blood Rage and I have been hearing about it for years. How is it holding up? I've got Rising Sun and it seems to be the Caverna to its Agricola at this stage.

Got to play Watergate recently too and I played Nixon and my GF played the journalists. I think she did pretty well but I ended up not having too much trouble winning. It's my friend's copy and he says he's never seen the journo win and apparently it's really really tough for them to do so. I guess you have to be ruthless with momentum grabbing and just hope that you gradually get enough clues to your side that you can start making Nixon burn cards on staunching the bleeding on the main board versus just brute forcing it via a momentum win.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I spent one minute on BGG and it was a thread full of people ranting about how terrible social deduction is, as if that doesn’t say more about them than the mechanic

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is there room in the world for two BGGs? Why do all the data aggregator communities (e.g., BGG, Goodreads) always have to be faux-monopolies?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PlaneGuy posted:

so like that is just store policy and asmodee isn't covering those in-store exchanges?

I'm sure they will be covering those in-store exchanges, *eventually*, but what if the game isn't getting reprinted for months? What if we already sold all of our copies and there was a bad print run? These companies are sometimes notorious for taking their sweet drat time on crediting accounts for things, which also means the smaller your store is, the more it fucks you.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Inertia. Imagine not only trying to build a comprehensive database that rivals and or exceeds what already exists, but doing that in a way that is at least profit neutral while you also try to lure over entrenched users. I've heard of a few rivals, but never really thought about them because I am entrenched in the BGG system, as problematic as it may be.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FulsomFrank posted:

I have yet to play Blood Rage and I have been hearing about it for years. How is it holding up? I've got Rising Sun and it seems to be the Caverna to its Agricola at this stage.

A friend of mine has Blood Rage and busts it out once every couple of months. It's fine. I don't hate it but it doesn't exactly make me flip my wig either. It's a good Ameritrash "dudes on a map" game with some fun drafting elements and great minis.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

I spent one minute on BGG and it was a thread full of people ranting about how terrible social deduction is, as if that doesn’t say more about them than the mechanic

Please don't call me out in this thread.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

CitizenKeen posted:

Is there room in the world for two BGGs? Why do all the data aggregator communities (e.g., BGG, Goodreads) always have to be faux-monopolies?

I'd love a alternative to Goodreads that managed basic functionality

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Blood Rage was a solid drafting based dudes on a map compliment to Kemet but then Inis came out and I never need to play Blood Rage again. It’s completely solid though and among the best CMON have put out.

And I know this gets brought up from time to time but what video games have you folks been enjoying that are board game adjacent lately? Slay the Spire and Into the Breach have been filling up all my gaming time and are both great.

Heading to the Not-Dice Tower-Con Escape Winter convention today as it’s 15 minutes from my house. Got a ton of great games scheduled and I won’t have to see Tom constantly stalking the ball room this year.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

Please don't call me out in this thread.

Same

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CitizenKeen posted:

The database is going to be near impossible to replicate without stealing it and I'm sure they have the usual fake data in place to make sure they catch thieves. And the database is what makes it the cornerstone of hobby discussion in my opinion. Yeah I don't spend a lot of time in the main forums. One thing people may not know about are Global Chat Leagues, geeklists where you have to be invited to post (they can get anyone else moderated AFAIK) and those people are generally reasonable although some GCL's are focused on different things.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

And I know this gets brought up from time to time but what video games have you folks been enjoying that are board game adjacent lately? Slay the Spire and Into the Breach have been filling up all my gaming time and are both great.

I realize this is not the Magic thread, so this isn’t quite “board game” the way you mean it, but Legends of Runeterra is real good, and their monetization scheme is extremely unusual - there’s actually a hard cap on the amount of real money you can spend any given week.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Morpheus posted:

Like any purely-coop game, Burgle Bros doesn't really have any decisions to make regarding your singular character. Essentially, you're all, as a group, making decisions for what each of your characters do at any given time. If you've played it on the phone, you know that it's a shared victory and a shared loss, so essentially it's like Pandemic, in that there's nothing a coop group can do that a single person controlling 2-4 characters can't.

This post and the one a few pages earlier about the Arkham Horror LCG have had me thinking. My group and I enjoy our co-op games, but most seem to really just feel too similar. Usually the best response to a given situation is clear; one or two in the group will have sussed it out a step or two ahead of the others, and we’ll proceed. As you mention, it rarely feels like you’re playing YOUR turn, as you would in a competitive game.

I guess we haven’t played too wide a variety of co-ops, but sometimes it feels difficult to bite on a new game if we feel like we are going to get a similar experience to a game we already have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boxman posted:

I realize this is not the Magic thread, so this isn’t quite “board game” the way you mean it, but Legends of Runeterra is real good, and their monetization scheme is extremely unusual - there’s actually a hard cap on the amount of real money you can spend any given week.

I seriously dislike Legends of Runeterrable. It bores me immensely.

If Bethesda hadn't murdered it I'd recommend The Elder Scrolls: Legends for your CCG fix, but there's a new game in the same vein called Phageborn that is worth a look. It, too, has an interesting model: you pay $15 to buy the game, then unlock all the cards through play. The community is small still so queues aren't short, but that's a problem you can fix by getting more people to play.

I'll also nth Slay the Spire, in which I have pushing 600 hours now.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Trying to get second Oath game set up. Don't usually deal with playtests, though, so I'm unused to rules being changed out from under me.

Boxman posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912283 - The Legends of Runeterra thread. It's good stuff (with "It" meaning either the game or the thread).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Are there co-op games that have an effective way of stopping quarterbacking? I guess Magic Maze counts but anything less blunt than NO TALKING?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Space alert is the usual go to. Limited time and communication and no one can keep the entire gamestate in their heads anyway.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Are there co-op games that have an effective way of stopping quarterbacking? I guess Magic Maze counts but anything less blunt than NO TALKING?

I find Spirit Island rarely has any because each individual person has so much to think about themselves with all the asymmetry that they can't bother themselves with other people's stuff beyond the very very basic.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

jesus WEP posted:

Hanabi, for similar reasons.

Enforced information asymmetry seems to be a solid enough way of going about it, based on these two examples!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I find Spirit Island rarely has any because each individual person has so much to think about themselves with all the asymmetry that they can't bother themselves with other people's stuff beyond the very very basic.

Some Strange Flea posted:

Hanabi, for similar reasons.
Cool thanks, I’ll check those out. I have a That Guy in my group that makes co-op a pain.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Minus1Minus1 posted:

This post and the one a few pages earlier about the Arkham Horror LCG have had me thinking. My group and I enjoy our co-op games, but most seem to really just feel too similar. Usually the best response to a given situation is clear; one or two in the group will have sussed it out a step or two ahead of the others, and we’ll proceed. As you mention, it rarely feels like you’re playing YOUR turn, as you would in a competitive game.

I guess we haven’t played too wide a variety of co-ops, but sometimes it feels difficult to bite on a new game if we feel like we are going to get a similar experience to a game we already have.

Arkham Horror LCG sort of introduces a new mechanic in the Carcosa campaign that...well, it doesn't fix this, but it addresses the issue somewhat - there are encounter cards that get added to your hand that prevent you from doing certain things. You're also not allowed to tell anyone what they are or address them in any way.

It's not much, but yeah. I think its format allows for a lot more 'fixes' in this regard - for example, what if there was a campaign where you drew a secret goal at the beginning of each scenario that you couldn't discuss, but got you something like an extra xp point (or two), or access to a powerful card or something at the end of the scenario. So your person would go off and do something weird that you couldn't talk about, and the other person/people would know it's because of a goal you're given (maybe from a 'mysterious stranger' or something, to tie it into the lore of the world), but they couldn't know what. So you couldn't quite plan everything out as a group like usual.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Maybe look into Trick n' Trouble, Fox in the Forest Duet and The Crew (which should be out in english soon but could be made with two decks of cards and some tokens. The english rules and mission booklet are on BGG) all of these are cooperativ Trick Taking games and work well without quarterbacking.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Die, crew

(it's fantastic)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Shipwreck Arcana > Hanabi. I'll probably never play Hanabi again.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

Shipwreck Arcana > Hanabi. I'll probably never play Hanabi again.

I liked Shipwreck Arcana, but I worry that it's too easy.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

This is a good time to point out that there's a Humble Digital Tabletop Bundle going on with some great games. Most people have probably heard of Armello, but there's also For The King, which is a great co-op sandbox fantasy with randomized boards each game and a heck of a lot of things to do and explore. Slay The Spire is the top tier game for $10.

At the $1 tier, you can get Gremlins, Inc, which is a fantastic, polished and deep strategy game. Plays 2v2, 3v3 or 2v2v2. You can set up AI bots to play with/against, and the AI is pretty smart in my experience. It has casual and ranked matches and regular tournaments. It also has an offline solo mode.

Gameplay boils down to moving around a circuitous board visiting different locations in the steampunky Gremlin city and taking actions (there are two boards with completely different layouts). It's all very thematic, with different background music that plays depending on where you are on the board, and lots of little details and charm. Fantastic art and sound design overall. You have a hand of 6 cards that can be used either for movement or for actions, with a hefty amount of player interaction and lots of room for screwing each other over if that's how you like to play. It can get rather cutthroat at times. There's a good amount of randomness with the card draws and some dice rolls, but it's still possible to plan strategies and execute them. Note that there can be some downtime when you have a full 6 player game. The AI turns are very quick, however.

One thing I particularly like is that you can set the victory conditions to be a point threshold, a turn limit or a time limit, so games can be as quick as 20 minutes, or as long as 2+ hours.

It's been fully released for a few years now, but they still periodically release free content updates, and it's been steadily growing in popularity as more people catch on. DLC's are cosmetic, and purely for supporting the devs. There are some minor cosmetics/emotes/etc you can get as in-game rewards as well.

Honestly, even if you're on the fence about it, a buck is a buck. It's worth trying once or twice.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 20, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Head over to the Management Megathread and you'll see plenty of games with euro style mechanics. You can tell because most of these games are huge in Europe :).

Yeah Legends of Runeterra is an awesome game, can't wait for it to come to mobile.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

Got to play Watergate recently too and I played Nixon and my GF played the journalists. I think she did pretty well but I ended up not having too much trouble winning. It's my friend's copy and he says he's never seen the journo win and apparently it's really really tough for them to do so. I guess you have to be ruthless with momentum grabbing and just hope that you gradually get enough clues to your side that you can start making Nixon burn cards on staunching the bleeding on the main board versus just brute forcing it via a momentum win.

I’ve won with journalist a few times. You need to be actively killing conspirators and threatening Nixon with evidence constantly, since one good turn can win the game.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've been slowly playing Wildermyth which is kind of a roguelike TRPG. Really any TRPG fits in here.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

For anyone who enjoyed Into the Breach or similar games, I would recommend Druidstone. A puzzly tactical RPG from the devs behind Legend of Grimrock. Seems like it went mostly unnoticed when it released last year, which is a shame because the game is clearly a labor of love and the Grimrock guys rule.

Protip: if you buy direct from them you still get a Steam key and they get a bigger cut of what you paid.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I played Cthulhu: Death May Die and I......had a good time? Look, everything about the game that sounds dumb, is. It doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest, though, which really helps with that. You're basically constantly fighting and doing stuff and getting materially stronger as the board state inevitably spirals out of control. The mechanic of marrying leveling up to the insanity meter- which will eventually kill you- is wonderful.

This game at last fulfills the promise of all those dumb Zombicide games: just a fast playing beer and pretzels dungeon crawl where your powers get more and more crazy as the world goes mad. I'm not laying down a hundo for it but if someone asks you if you wanna play, just say yes. You can trade silk bales or whatever later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Helion posted:

I played Cthulhu: Death May Die and I......had a good time? Look, everything about the game that sounds dumb, is. It doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest, though, which really helps with that. You're basically constantly fighting and doing stuff and getting materially stronger as the board state inevitably spirals out of control. The mechanic of marrying leveling up to the insanity meter- which will eventually kill you- is wonderful.

This game at last fulfills the promise of all those dumb Zombicide games: just a fast playing beer and pretzels dungeon crawl where your powers get more and more crazy as the world goes mad. I'm not laying down a hundo for it but if someone asks you if you wanna play, just say yes. You can trade silk bales or whatever later.

Seconding this. I had the same experience, and I would also recommend trying it if you get a chance. As far as co-op Cthulhu type games, I’d put it above any of the Arkham Horror board games, Mansions of Madness, or Eldritch Horror.