Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I also want to say how thankful I am for this thread, TC, it really has helped me to figure out how a plant-based diet works and has been a source of real joy for me and my wife. Sorry for negative feelings, you've created a great thread and a great resource!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

So on the freezing tofu thing, I'm Vietnamese-American and regularly had tofu that was frozen, thawed, marinated, and then fried either in spring rolls or to accompany rice growing up, and my parents sure aren't white. We mostly ate the tofu like that on buddhist holidays where you're supposed to go vegan. It may also have been in the temple version of a lot of popular dishes too, but we never made those at home so I'm not too sure. I'm also pretty sure koyadofu, which is Japanese, requires freezing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

So on the freezing tofu thing, I'm Vietnamese-American and regularly had tofu that was frozen, thawed, marinated, and then fried either in spring rolls or to accompany rice growing up, and my parents sure aren't white. We mostly ate the tofu like that on buddhist holidays where you're supposed to go vegan. It may also have been in the temple version of a lot of popular dishes too, but we never made those at home so I'm not too sure. I'm also pretty sure koyadofu, which is Japanese, requires freezing.
Yes, I'm very sorry I brought this up. It made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. I mentioned koyadofu but people mostly ignored it, and that is my fault. I was unnecessarily combative. I take it all back. Freeze your tofu to your heart's content. I promise I will not talk about this anymore.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Echoing what others have said, this thread is great and has a great OP and thank you for the work you've done TC <3

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Also echoing the positive sentiments from the last two dozen posts or so, the thread's been excellent and the OP has helped a lot and it's genuinely, unironically really nice to participate in an environment with other vegans/plant-based food eaters that is primarily positive and supportive and clearly allows the chance to address any conflict that does come up in a healthy mostly drama-free way.

On the topic of cooking: This isn't even remotely something I'd even call a "dish" but I thought it was funny so I'm sharing it anyway.

I woke up at 5PM after getting way drunker than I meant to last night and was craving salt like a motherfucker, and for neighborhood-children based reasons I didn't want to walk the 5 minutes to the store to pick up any veggies and decided to just make an absurdly simple miso broth instead of the hangover stew/soup I had in mind.

Lemme tell you, there's something very funny-sad about standing in front of a stove, nauseous as hell, looking into a saucepan that is currently boiling nothing but 2 cups of water and a few half-crushed thai chilis knowing you're about to squirt some store-bought squeeze-tube miso paste in and call it a meal.

Tasted pretty good though.

On that same note: Does anyone have any experience with making their own miso paste that might be able to toss some methods or recipes (it feels weird calling it a recipe? I'm not sure why) they prefer? I've been wanting to get into fermenting and pickling stuff a lot lately and figure I might as well start with miso for the former and ginger for the latter. I'm guessing early on it might be a lot of trial and error?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ThePagey posted:

On that same note: Does anyone have any experience with making their own miso paste that might be able to toss some methods or recipes (it feels weird calling it a recipe? I'm not sure why) they prefer? I've been wanting to get into fermenting and pickling stuff a lot lately and figure I might as well start with miso for the former and ginger for the latter. I'm guessing early on it might be a lot of trial and error?
I've never done it but miso seems relatively advanced for fermenting - if you want something easier, sauerkraut is dead simple, kimchi (the Serious Eats recipe is great) is about as easy, and sourdough is a little touchy but totally worth it if you love bread.

But, here's Brad doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx8pYMkkKXg

As for more specific recipes, the Noma Guide to Fermentation has a bunch of recipes, and there are some recipes in the two Sandor Katz books I've got, both of which are confusingly titled Wild Fermentation. There's also Aoyagi and Shurtleff's book The Book of Miso which has huuuuuuge amounts of information. Most of the recipes (including all the ones in those books) include seed miso, but there are also recipes like this and this which go without (and the Aoyagi + Shurtleff book says it's optional).

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I have failed at making sourdough starters twice now, probably because I didn't store it in a sentimental place to get the yeast that is there, like a shocking amount of recipes seemed to suggest.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Yo, does anyone use any particular recipe for a teriyaki-style sauce they happen to like? Preferably something super Americanized that I can just dump on whatever I happen to be making instead of the (also obviously Americanized) marinade.

I've been free-wheeling it for a while now to varying degrees of success. I have it down to something, like, comfortable, with soy sauce, mirin, sugar, spice rack ginger, and cornstarch as a thickener. I usually just make enough of it to handle whatever I'm making (which, is usually just some poor-man's fried rice), but I'm thinking I want to make a batch in bulk and see if I can get something I like consistently down.

And this is completely unrelated to that--but does anyone have any grocer they like or advice in general on picking up (and, if possible, storing) some kind of versatile mushroom? And, with that, what kind they happen to like? Paying like $5 for 8oz of white mushrooms at Albertsons feels loving bad. If the answer is "Go to your farmers market like you should be doing anyway" that makes a lot of sense, too.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

ThePagey posted:

Yo, does anyone use any particular recipe for a teriyaki-style sauce they happen to like? Preferably something super Americanized that I can just dump on whatever I happen to be making instead of the (also obviously Americanized) marinade.

I like this teriyaki sauce

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ThePagey posted:

I've been free-wheeling it for a while now to varying degrees of success. I have it down to something, like, comfortable, with soy sauce, mirin, sugar, spice rack ginger, and cornstarch as a thickener. I usually just make enough of it to handle whatever I'm making (which, is usually just some poor-man's fried rice), but I'm thinking I want to make a batch in bulk and see if I can get something I like consistently down.
I dunno about making it in bulk, but you can get my recipe early in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF_h_ShParM

No cornstarch but you could easily add some if you want it even thicker. I would save the cornstarch until you are cooking.

ThePagey posted:

And this is completely unrelated to that--but does anyone have any grocer they like or advice in general on picking up (and, if possible, storing) some kind of versatile mushroom? And, with that, what kind they happen to like? Paying like $5 for 8oz of white mushrooms at Albertsons feels loving bad. If the answer is "Go to your farmers market like you should be doing anyway" that makes a lot of sense, too.
I got mushrooms at the Chinese grocery store, 99 Ranch. I like all kinds, but king oyster mushrooms are a nice simple versatile mushroom for a change of pace from white mushrooms. For storage I just keep them in the fridge and try to keep them dry.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I buy mushrooms at the farmer's market from this lady: https://www.instagram.com/kellysgourmetmushrooms/

You could see if you have a similar mushroom lady somewhere in town. Blue oyster are very nice and pretty much an all-rounder; I've never liked button mushrooms. Her lion's mane mushrooms are also nice.

She sells straw logs inoculated with spores for $20 or something, apparently they produce for 2 months with "no smell or mess" but I would kill them in a week, if that, so. Might be fun if you have kids and a green thumb.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bryant Terry, author of several solid vegan cookbooks has just released a new book, Vegetable Kingdom. Looks really good and I'll be trying some recipes of the coming weeks.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

Bryant Terry, author of several solid vegan cookbooks has just released a new book, Vegetable Kingdom. Looks really good and I'll be trying some recipes of the coming weeks.
Ooh, thank you for letting me know! Afro-Vegan is maybe my favorite cookbook ever in terms of the holistic package - interesting recipes, great writing, well-designed, etc. It's generally a little elaborate for everyday food, but for fancier meals it's really stupendous. I love his other books too.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
What’s everyone’s favorite vegan junk food? I got spoiled by $1 rice balls at all the corner stores in Japan when I visited recently. I make my own sometimes but it feels like more effort than it’s worth when I can just throw something more substantive over rice when I’m at home. I miss the convenience when I’m out and about.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite vegan junk food? I got spoiled by $1 rice balls at all the corner stores in Japan when I visited recently. I make my own sometimes but it feels like more effort than it’s worth when I can just throw something more substantive over rice when I’m at home. I miss the convenience when I’m out and about.
Onion rings, French fries, potato chips, and peanut butter filled pretzels.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/vengaya-bajji-recipe-onion-bajji/

Not sure on the definition of junk food, but this probably.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Getting into the shelf dried veg meats has been a game changer. I can pick up a pound of dried soy /wheat meats for under $5. They come in a decent assortment of sizes and shapes. You rehydrate them to a much larger volume and weight. Versatile for cooking. It's there waiting until you prep it and you can have the meat prepped in 20 minutes

Not just soy curls, which are great (but rather high fat). I get these from the Asian markets or the dedicated Asian vegetarian market. Used these little steak strip ones in chili and my god

The nice thing is by dry weight it's 50% protein 15% fiber so it's really a cheap fast protein option to give variety

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Huge fan of samosas. I'm too lazy to make them myself so I just buy the big pack at the indian store.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

I don't know if it counts as junk food because if you make them yourself they're not really bad for you, the shop bought ones are full of salt. But anyway: sage and onion stuffing balls.

I like to cook them in the microwave (shop bought) then flatten them with my bare hands like an animal, smoosh a couple together and fry them to crisp them up a bit. You need to use quite a bit of oil as they're very dry.

Wrap them in a tortilla with lettuce, fried onions, sweet chilli sauce. Or whatever you want.

edit: Just looked at the nutrition info and a wrap (wholemeal) and 6 stuffing balls (155g) is:

623 calories
16.7g fat (6.1g saturated)
95g carbs (1.4g sugar)
14.9g protein

Which is actually a fairly decent lunch...

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 17, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

My fave local burrito joint makes this stuff they call poblano pepitas pesto. I guess it's as fair to call it a pesto as it is to call a lot of other things "pesto". But I believe it should be thought of as a pipian mole variant.

Anyway, I recently saw that they had posted the process to make it (not a recipe; just some snapshots of the cooking process and a brief description of how it's put together), and I decided to steal it. It's not gonna make me eat there any less -- it actually made me like them more, so shout out to Illegal Pete's. I don't have a recipe yet either, because I just winged this, and it does need some adjustments, but here's my first attempt.

Start with some poblanos. I don't have a gas cooktop, so it's oven roasting for me. Put 'em on a lightly oiled sheet pan. 20 minutes on 400. Flip with tongs and give 'em another 20 minutes.

While that's going on, peel yourself about 2 bulbs ofgarlic. Some of the cloves in mine were huge, so I stopped at 1 1/2 bulbs.

And wash a whole bunch of cilantro. This is actually two bunches.

Take your peppers out of the oven and let them self-steam under a bowl for 10-ish minutes. I erred a little too far on the -ish side.

Now get your garlic toasty. You want enough oil to cover the smallest cloves, but not enough to cover the biggest ones. Cook them at a temperature that's higher than a confit, but is lower than a full-on, fast-cooking deep fry.

When you've got nice color on the garlic, but also before it gets anywhere close to "burned", add your pepitas. Let them sizzle a bit in the garlicky oil and maybe get a little color.

Take off the heat and let cool down. While that's happening, prep your peppers (seed, stem, rough chop, blah, blah). Then everything (plus some salt) goes in the blender. I hope you have a Vitamix or Blendtec, because this stuff is thick and chunky. I added a little extra oil to loosen things up during blending, but it's supposed to come out scoopable/spreadable, not ladle-able. It's not a pouring sauce.

Adds a mildly peppery, curiously savory/cheesy flavor to anything you think would go well with cilantro and poblano. Look for it in my upcoming Cook or Die entry.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 18, 2020

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Love the thread! I'm finally trying to make the jump and this is a great resource.

Crispbread with anything you can spread. Tabbouli, hummus, harissa, duxelle, peanut butter, etc.

They don't break up. Minimal crumbs. ~35 cal ea.

I've been buying Wasa's. At my local grocer, it's $3.50 per pack of 20, or, $0.17 each.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mdxi posted:

It's not gonna make me eat there any less -- it actually made me like them more, so shout out to Illegal Pete's.
I've been to one of these! I either had a burrito or a burrito bowl, can't remember. It was pretty good. I kind of don't mind when a restaurant has a single vegan option because it means I can make up my mind really fast.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

mdxi posted:

When you've got nice color on the garlic, but also before it gets anywhere close to "burned", add your pepitas. Let them sizzle a bit in the garlicky oil and maybe get a little color.

Toasted pepitas are so goddamn tasty. I added them to my latest batch of tacos, and now I add them to basically everything.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Hey peeps. New to the thread, just been through the whole thing and picked out like 20 recipes I'll be trying at some point. Been vegetarian my whole life (parents are veggie) and looking to move to being more vegan. Don't know if I'll fully give up dairy.

Thought I'd share a reeeeeally simple and tasty recipe I've made recently:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/quick-pasta-and-chickpeas-pasta-e-ceci/

Pasta e ceci. Apparently it's a really common recipe in Rome, authentically Italian. It's mostly just sautéed garlic, tomato paste, chickpeas, pasta and seasoning. It's very much more than the sum of its parts though, very satisfying.

If you make the "finishing oil" it recommends (just red pepper flakes, rosemary, garlic and oil) it also adds interest.

Have also found this one: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/vegan-coconut-lentil-soup for a lentil soup which looks great, but haven't tried it yet.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Accretionist posted:

Love the thread! I'm finally trying to make the jump and this is a great resource.

Crispbread with anything you can spread. Tabbouli, hummus, harissa, duxelle, peanut butter, etc.

They don't break up. Minimal crumbs. ~35 cal ea.

I've been buying Wasa's. At my local grocer, it's $3.50 per pack of 20, or, $0.17 each.

As a swede I eat 100kg crisp bread a year and I couldn’t stand peanut butter on it. :(

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and broil until golden brown. Flip the bread and broil for about 30 seconds on the second side; take it out of the oven quickly so it doesn’t burn.

Terry, Bryant. Vegetable Kingdom (p. 56). Potter/Ten Speed/Harmony/Rodale. Kindle Edition.

Lmao

The recipe it is from is amazing though, mushroom, leek and pine nut/ mustard spread on toast.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You're making me feel dumb because I don't get the joke. Are we laughing because he doesn't just tell people to use a toaster? If the recipe uses the oven for anything else then I think he's got the right idea. You have to be careful not to burn it (like he says) but the oven is way faster for toasting than a toaster.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Toasting a slice of bread in a toaster takes 1 minute with no flipping needed.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You're making me feel dumb because I don't get the joke. Are we laughing because he doesn't just tell people to use a toaster? If the recipe uses the oven for anything else then I think he's got the right idea. You have to be careful not to burn it (like he says) but the oven is way faster for toasting than a toaster.

It doesn't, but the joke is it's a recipe for toast.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Well, since the recipe doesn't use an oven, that's a joke - that's even worse than my previous winner for "stupidest recipe," which is from Decolonize Your Diet (a great book linked in OP), and which is a recipe for papaya which just amounts to "put lime juice on papaya." At least that recipe doesn't make you heat up an oven!

But, I still stand behind my "if the oven is already on, it's the best option for toasting" view. I might be biased since I never use a toaster in the first place, just a toaster oven, but whatever.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I have come upon an abundance of limes. I use them quite often just for juice but I've got like 20 and I won't get through it. Any recommendations that use them in bulk?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Zenithe posted:

I have come upon an abundance of limes. I use them quite often just for juice but I've got like 20 and I won't get through it. Any recommendations that use them in bulk?

I made preserved lemons last season (suggested after asking the same q), really versatile in creating 'lighter' feeling dishes. Giant jar still sitting in my fridge getting dipped into occasionally. I would imagine limes would be much the same.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/how-to-make-preserved-lemons.html

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 22, 2020

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I'm having a weird thing happen with some black beans I'm rehydrating, I soaked them for 12hr+ overnight and started simmering only for them to start losing their colour.
They've gone from black to a pale grey, some are still black but the majority have changed?

Have I literally been sold painted beans, pls help.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Zenithe posted:

Papaya apparently

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Zenithe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq680ITf0nY

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

zentigeist posted:

I'm having a weird thing happen with some black beans I'm rehydrating, I soaked them for 12hr+ overnight and started simmering only for them to start losing their colour.
They've gone from black to a pale grey, some are still black but the majority have changed?

This is pretty normal.

As for limes, you can make a lime pickle, like this one.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

zentigeist posted:

That's normal. Bean insides are pale, even in the darkest of outside, and as you rehydrate they're gonna get their skin color leeched.

It can be a problem if the "pale grey" is literally like, SA Forums Grey, but even then, not always. Are they like, special beans in any way, or are they just some grocery store Black Beans In A Bag

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I made preserved lemons last season (suggested after asking the same q), really versatile in creating 'lighter' feeling dishes. Giant jar still sitting in my fridge getting dipped into occasionally. I would imagine limes would be much the same.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/how-to-make-preserved-lemons.html

I did this, thank you

I did not do this. (why would you do this).

Also, the recipe I posted from the new book has been published online here:

https://food52.com/recipes/82584-caramelized-leek-and-seared-mushroom-toast-recipe

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

Also, the recipe I posted from the new book has been published online here:

https://food52.com/recipes/82584-caramelized-leek-and-seared-mushroom-toast-recipe
I adore Bryant Terry as a person (I've always loved this article) and I like every single one of his cookbooks a lot and I still stand behind the idea that using a broiler to toast bread is great, but it is insane to turn on your oven solely in order to use the broiler to toast bread. This isn't as bad as the roommate I used to have who would eat every meal on a paper plate with plastic utensils, but it's the same vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zenithe posted:

You could just juice them and freeze the juice in ice cube trays. Or cook it up with sugar to make limeade concentrate then do the same.