Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
My dumb rear end went from Reserves to FTS. So there's that.

Needless to say, I'm going back to the reserves. I'll just play pretend until retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Can you translate that to something us non-mil folks can understand?

Like how turbofucked is he, on a scale of one to ten disassembled M9s?

I like this one.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Thronde posted:

Needless to say, I'm going back to the reserves. I'll just play pretend until retirement.

I'm sure FTS is it's own brand of hosed.

Speaking if the reserves we've got a dude going from Navy to Army because he doesn't do any in rate stuff and that makes him angry I guess? This guy started in the marines so soon he'll have been in all four branches!

Grass is always greener, etc

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You can get your USCG documents and get a job in the merchant marine. Depending on sea time and rate you might be able to qualify for an officer's license. Even then, an electrician or reefer with the MFOW is making ~1k/day. A first engineer in the MEBA makes 1.1-1.5ish. MSC is always hiring. Your life will be similarly regimented while on board without most of the worst of it and you get your own stateroom in either of the two unions.

Really though, figure out how to readjust to the real world and dont look back.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Thronde posted:

I’d consider FTS for instructor duty. Gonna look into it after this mob.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

being out update: I don't like being out of the military and will go back in elsewhere, but I strongly dislike the Navy due to the personnel system and the Chiefs. Namaste.

Not sure where you are at but check out the VA's Vet Centers (https://www.vetcenter.va.gov/) for help adjusting to Real Life(TM) or, I think you said you're in school, your local university should have walk-in times for their mental health / counseling center.

It isn't easy going from active duty to civilian life but there are resources and assistance to help make your journey smoother.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Thanks, I'm pretty good to go. My core group of bros is all ex-military, ex-con or both (surprisingly high overlap in how these demographics think and operate). I basically spent five years being mildly inconvenienced so nothing has really stuck with me outside of my dislike of THE MESS

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
My favorite part of the GI Bill was choosing a place off of a map where I wanted to live and moving there. Kinda wish I had gone out of the country but I'm pretty happy here in Colorado.

Boulder was disappointing though

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

I’d consider FTS for instructor duty. Gonna look into it after this mob.

Are there FTS instructor billets?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Are there FTS instructor billets?

Currently I dont actually know. In the past? I was just talking to a senior chief who met once recently and that's how this came up. I know I've seen them for Great Lakes but hell no.
I've also looked at home town recruiter in the yards if I decide I would be fine with being a forever 2nd class. Only having to deal with roping prior into the reserves seems a lot less stressful that dumb kids into undes.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

You can get your USCG documents and get a job in the merchant marine. Depending on sea time and rate you might be able to qualify for an officer's license. Even then, an electrician or reefer with the MFOW is making ~1k/day. A first engineer in the MEBA makes 1.1-1.5ish. MSC is always hiring. Your life will be similarly regimented while on board without most of the worst of it and you get your own stateroom in either of the two unions.

Really though, figure out how to readjust to the real world and dont look back.

Lol as if the mfow has jobs

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
FTS was a soul crushing experience for selecting billets and opportunities to get out of those. I got fully selected for the whitehouse communications agency at one point with welcome aboard packages and what I was going to be doing and everything, and then I got told I wasn't going because they slashed the single FTS billet they had while leaving an unoccupied active duty billet in the same shop.

My chief, my recruiter, and the shop's boss were all sending nastygrams to the detailer and he basically told them to gently caress off. So I didn't get a cool opportunity, my recruiter was embarrassed for indirectly giving me the runaround and ended up emailing me what amounted to a brokenhearted apology, and the shop was left undermanned by three billets in a shop made of five or six people.

You not getting to do anything except work at severely undermanned commands (because they're reserve commands) and going to NOSCs is the FTS fate. It's great if you want to cruise and basically do nothing while no one cares that you're doing nothing, terrible if you want to actually do anything. It's why NOSCs and the reserves are such shitshows.

I didn't know what FTS was two years into being in the Navy because no one knew what it was.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 20, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I’ve worked at my local NOSC but since it’s a home port for carriers there’s more pregnant and broke dick sailors than FTS.

Sorry about your hosed up orders. I loved working in DC. :chiefsay:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Currently I dont actually know. In the past? I was just talking to a senior chief who met once recently and that's how this came up. I know I've seen them for Great Lakes but hell no.
I've also looked at home town recruiter in the yards if I decide I would be fine with being a forever 2nd class. Only having to deal with roping prior into the reserves seems a lot less stressful that dumb kids into undes.

I've never seen any fts billet that wasn't nosc support. I've seen mob instructor orders tho.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

being out update: I don't like being out of the military and will go back in elsewhere,

lmao

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I was neighbors with an fts air framer who worked at the AIMD in JRB New Orleans (Belle Chasse) who's only deployments were with the p3 squadron on full per diem to South America. Being fts allowed him to do incredibly odd things like having one duty station his entire career, buying a house, raising a family and going to college and post grad uninterrupted and having a small business fabricating motorcycle stuff. I felt bad for him that he was missing the real navy experience while he received normal active duty pay and retirement credit. Terrible really.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah FTS is not good living unless you're an airdale. The detailers don't give half a poo poo about helping you. They were trying to send me from my Rivron to TEU 1 in San Diego, clean across the country. Not bad, except they were just planning to obliserv me.

FTS is not better than Active at this point. In fact, it's worse than Active for surface fleet.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
FTS is silly and shouldn't exist in a modern computer-driven personnel system. The reserves should be more-closely integrated into regular manning, at least for surface. Ships should just have reservist billets and be used to having guys rotate in.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Met RADM Kitchener today. He seemed alright from the 5 minutes I spoke with my wherein my CO was essentially telling me to talk about certain things: What was it like having to do helio ops while fighting the flooding? How did physical stamina play a role? How awesome was this OTHER Captain?

I did not answer the last point the way that my CO expected. I told Kitchener that Duffy was that needed step back and he helped me focus on what I needed to. What my CO WANTED me to say was that Duffy helped reengage the crew with the bucket brigade down to FWD Power. Sure, I added this point AFTER he told me to, but like, A) we may have already had a smaller bucket brigade going, and B) I DON'T REMEMBER A LOT OF WHAT HAPPENED THAT DAY. Yes, the bucket brigade did get a lot of sailors out of that 1000 yard stare they had and essentially gave them purpose, but I was stuck in DCC. I barely left it. I genuinely don't know a lot of what happened with other parts of the ship unless people have told me.

I'm also not super happy with my CO because earlier in the week, I sat down with him and a bunch of O-5s, and one of the things he asked me about was crew resiliency. I was honest and said that day of it was probably better then it had any right to be, but that it was the weeks and months after that we really started to see problems. He said that he didn't really want to go down that road, and he just wanted to focus on the day of.

I feel like he's trying to take control of the narrative of the Fitzgerald collision, and that's putting a really bad taste in my mouth.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Sounds like word either came down the pipe from higher up, or they are trying to frame it in a way that is liked to those higher up.

Case in point - the 100+ casualties from the Iran missile strike that have been completely downplayed.

They want to focus on the heroes of the day not the consequences or causes of the problem.

edit : if this was any other presidency I would not think like this at all, but its 100% in line with what has gone on for the past 3 years.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ded posted:

Sounds like word either came down the pipe from higher up, or they are trying to frame it in a way that is liked to those higher up.

Case in point - the 100+ casualties from the Iran missile strike that have been completely downplayed.

They want to focus on the heroes of the day not the consequences or causes of the problem.

edit : if this was any other presidency I would not think like this at all, but its 100% in line with what has gone on for the past 3 years.

I'm sorry 100 plus casualties?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm sorry 100 plus casualties?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/02/10/total-u-s-troops-wounded-iranian-missile-attack-now-tops-100/4716343002/

quote:

More than 100 U.S. troops have been diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury from last month's Iranian missile attack on a base in Iraq, the Pentagon announced Monday.

The number of troops wounded by the explosions at the Ain al-Assad base has risen dramatically since the Jan. 8 ballistic missile attacks. Initial reports, cited by President Donald Trump, indicated there were no casualties from the missile strike, which was launched in response to the U.S. drone strike that killed Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani.

A week later, the Pentagon acknowledged 11 troops were being treated for traumatic brain injury. By Jan. 31, the number had risen to 64. As of Monday, 109 troops have been diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury, and 76 of them have returned to duty.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Casualty != KIA

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Yea my fuckup. I knew about the TBI's that lovely cheetoh denies are injuries. I went straight to dead, my b.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Valley Stared posted:

Met RADM Kitchener today. He seemed alright from the 5 minutes I spoke with my wherein my CO was essentially telling me to talk about certain things: What was it like having to do helio ops while fighting the flooding? How did physical stamina play a role? How awesome was this OTHER Captain?

I did not answer the last point the way that my CO expected. I told Kitchener that Duffy was that needed step back and he helped me focus on what I needed to. What my CO WANTED me to say was that Duffy helped reengage the crew with the bucket brigade down to FWD Power. Sure, I added this point AFTER he told me to, but like, A) we may have already had a smaller bucket brigade going, and B) I DON'T REMEMBER A LOT OF WHAT HAPPENED THAT DAY. Yes, the bucket brigade did get a lot of sailors out of that 1000 yard stare they had and essentially gave them purpose, but I was stuck in DCC. I barely left it. I genuinely don't know a lot of what happened with other parts of the ship unless people have told me.

I'm also not super happy with my CO because earlier in the week, I sat down with him and a bunch of O-5s, and one of the things he asked me about was crew resiliency. I was honest and said that day of it was probably better then it had any right to be, but that it was the weeks and months after that we really started to see problems. He said that he didn't really want to go down that road, and he just wanted to focus on the day of.

I feel like he's trying to take control of the narrative of the Fitzgerald collision, and that's putting a really bad taste in my mouth.

https://www.loc.gov/item/2015490010/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228224241_The_Psychology_of_Corporate_Dishonesty

Thanks for staying true TVS, we need it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

The Valley Stared posted:

Lol. But not at you.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm confused, this CO was not there or involved in any way, correct? What the gently caress are they even doing interjecting then?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1231965201270026241?s=20

The Pacific War Museum in Fredricksburg is really great. I would recommend anyone visiting Austin or San Antonio make the trip out there. Also, a lot of great German places and beer halls, as you'd expect

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1231965201270026241?s=20

The Pacific War Museum in Fredricksburg is really great. I would recommend anyone visiting Austin or San Antonio make the trip out there. Also, a lot of great German places and beer halls, as you'd expect

Also alot of good genuine pastry shops in that region. Like poo poo so good that I felt I was back on liberty on my NATO deployment.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I'm confused, this CO was not there or involved in any way, correct? What the gently caress are they even doing interjecting then?

My CO was not involved in any way, no. He was mostly there to provide talking points for me for RADM Kitchener. As for why he's so gung-ho about CAPT Duffy's role (he was the Deputy Commodore of our DESRON and did come on the ship when we were bringing the Fitz back in), I don't really know.

I know that my CO is really big on this nebulous concept of Military Toughness and physical fitness, but if he wants to talk about Toughness, then he needs to consider the events after too. Plus our physical fitness is an absolute joke, but you know, let's do planks where the minimum time is 1:40. Because that can't go wrong at all.

Maybe one day I'll hit that part of Texas and try out some of those places. Only been through Amarillo.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Why are they providing talking points, you're more than capable. I don't get it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If everything is better, that CO gets to claim credit.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
So... pretty sure I’m gonna be able to have a good setup to make some decisions related to the FSC family. Like, kinda on a good path for that and know some peeps that can get me in there and they already consider me to be good/desirable for the teams.

All to say please please please anyone who wants to chime in with various lessons learned along the lines of “we were fighting this casualty on this class and this stupid design choice or space layout sucked for this reason” please please please PM me or post and explain what the issue was and we can try to hash out a fix. Legit if I can help save a single Sailor by re-designing some dumb poo poo that rando-dipshit-engineer-number-5835 chose on some design drawings then I def wanna know those deets.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

So... pretty sure I’m gonna be able to have a good setup to make some decisions related to the FSC family. Like, kinda on a good path for that and know some peeps that can get me in there and they already consider me to be good/desirable for the teams.

All to say please please please anyone who wants to chime in with various lessons learned along the lines of “we were fighting this casualty on this class and this stupid design choice or space layout sucked for this reason” please please please PM me or post and explain what the issue was and we can try to hash out a fix. Legit if I can help save a single Sailor by re-designing some dumb poo poo that rando-dipshit-engineer-number-5835 chose on some design drawings then I def wanna know those deets.

I'll say that as a Sailor I thought the Engineers were idiots, as an Engineer I now think all of the Sailors are loving idiots, so good luck with that.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

maffew buildings posted:

Why are they providing talking points, you're more than capable. I don't get it.

Everyone thinks they're helping. They think they're reducing the load and pushing whatever their motives are (I do the same thing with that dishonesty article--I'll blame rain in San Diego on that) so that their pet belief that they truly believe in gets a bump as well.

piL fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 28, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lol FAST company marines

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2020/NAV20048.txt

GO Navy beat Army at Counterstrike: GO

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

My husband and I try to make it down to San Antonio to PAX South to see friends, see new games, and have a nice weekend away from cold weather over MLK weekend. They had the Army Esports to there with mid-level NCOs wearing those esport performance shirts/jerseys with their rank and name on the back. I applaud them for finding away to do Big Army without having to do real work. It was better than the year before when they had the Air Force with a basic UAV trailer for fat dumb people to pretend in.

My take away, DOD wastes so much money that if someone can ride an enlistment or second term out doing bullshit then God's Speed to them

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I was hoping we'd do StarCraft, but I don't actually hate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao

We had poo poo really poo poo corpsman who got out to be a professional gamer. I don’t think it’s going great. Guess he got out too early.

Also does anyone know an outdoors place to shoot where you can do something besides static shoot from bench rest near VB?

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 28, 2020