Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

I hope Murata is okay :ohdear:

Did i miss something that this is in reference to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Did i miss something that this is in reference to?

It's a time honored tradition in the order of the stick thread where, whenever the thread veers offcourse (or time between updates is too long perceived or otherwise) this is said but with the authors name instead of Murata.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Order of the Stick is still around? Goddamn

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Darth TNT posted:

It's a time honored tradition in the order of the stick thread where, whenever the thread veers offcourse (or time between updates is too long perceived or otherwise) this is said but with the authors name instead of Murata.

I hope Thorsby is ok

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

verbal enema posted:

15 or 16 years!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

verbal enema posted:

And so loving good. It’s actually pretty amazing if you read from the beginning. You can see Burlews evolution as a writer and artist.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hell yeah I love Order of the Stick and I got the reference.

Is Bleach the Goblins of the Onepunch-Man thread.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I quit reading years ago, are they still trying to get into the temple for something to do with a crayon monster?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gologle posted:

I quit reading years ago, are they still trying to get into the temple for something to do with a crayon monster?

There are a lot of things involving that crayon monster and many other things besides.

The final book of comics just started so it's probably got like 4 years left at recent pace. Also Burlew finally gave into his fans and started a patreon this month. It has one tier with a suggested donation of $2/month :v:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hell yeah I love Order of the Stick and I got the reference.

Is Bleach the Goblins of the Onepunch-Man thread.
I poo poo on Bleach for years and years and I'm tempted to poo poo on that bullshit is old man poo poo again BUT NO, TOO FAR. Bleach doesn't deserve THAT. Kubo has actual talent, when he really tried and had time his work was closer to Murata than most, he just wrote the same story arc over and over again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shugojin posted:

There are a lot of things involving that crayon monster and many other things besides.

The final book of comics just started so it's probably got like 4 years left at recent pace. Also Burlew finally gave into his fans and started a patreon this month. It has one tier with a suggested donation of $2/month :v:

Rich really should let people give him more money.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways I like reading OPM when it comes out on the SJ app because I'm too lazy to read it on MangaDex and Drive Knight's transformations and transformation pillar are so cool.

Also his Gold form looks so much like Boros.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nanigans posted:

I like Onepunch Man more than Mob, unironically and truly.

Hell, same. By a lot. But I also hate japan's obsession with highschool stories/characters so to me OPM is just a breath of fresh air.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Old man in the underworld is his best work

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

its true

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really think that OPM and OOTS fandom overlapped in such a way, but I guess if you think about it, it kinda makes sense.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What if you think about it as manga and webcomic fans.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah, seeing people say this was pretty much inevitable at some point.

When One Punch Man started getting popular, you got people popping into threads talking about how Mob was ONE's real masterpiece. When Mob got an anime and it got popular, some of the same people moved on to saying that the One Punch Man webcomic was the height of his talents. And now that it's updating again and people are reading it, Old Man of the Underworld is the pick, because it's the one most people haven't read. Can't feel superior to people if you just like what popular, after all.

Don't get me wrong. The manga's quite good. ONE is one of the best manga writers working right now, and the arc payoffs alone make it recommended reading. (Doesn't hurt there that it's so short) But it was a gag manga and it shows. One's art hadn't gotten to the level of later Mob, so the visuals aren't exactly a treat, and it rarely has the really exciting panel composition that made up for it in the early OPM and Mob. The gags early on are much more hit-and-miss than you'd expect from ONE, and the nature of the world means that the emotional stakes are lower.

I think it's good, and I can even see people liking it best, but better than Mob? Not even close.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, I thought Old man in the underworld was the cockroach manga. God, snobs are so annoying.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This is probably the most :nws: chapter Murata's put out, just a warning. Just raw's right now.

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/10834108156763621702

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, seeing people say this was pretty much inevitable at some point.

When One Punch Man started getting popular, you got people popping into threads talking about how Mob was ONE's real masterpiece. When Mob got an anime and it got popular, some of the same people moved on to saying that the One Punch Man webcomic was the height of his talents. And now that it's updating again and people are reading it, Old Man of the Underworld is the pick, because it's the one most people haven't read. Can't feel superior to people if you just like what popular, after all.

Don't get me wrong. The manga's quite good. ONE is one of the best manga writers working right now, and the arc payoffs alone make it recommended reading. (Doesn't hurt there that it's so short) But it was a gag manga and it shows. One's art hadn't gotten to the level of later Mob, so the visuals aren't exactly a treat, and it rarely has the really exciting panel composition that made up for it in the early OPM and Mob. The gags early on are much more hit-and-miss than you'd expect from ONE, and the nature of the world means that the emotional stakes are lower.

I think it's good, and I can even see people liking it best, but better than Mob? Not even close.

I don’t think you get jokes

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

pik_d posted:

This is probably the most :nws: chapter Murata's put out, just a warning. Just raw's right now.

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/10834108156763621702

I think the olympic woman chapters were more horny than this

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
yea this isnt close to peek murata horny. i love the cart monster tour guiding flashy flash and saitama with his little microphone. honestly if he dies im gonna be very sad.

MiddleInitial
Oct 30, 2012
While we wait for a translation to drop, here's a bald badass One Punch Man with no interest in being a hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvRdHaq19qs

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MiddleInitial posted:

While we wait for a translation to drop

https://mangadex.org/chapter/812262/1

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I like these plot twists.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

King continues to be the best.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nothing can stop King.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmfao

King is so good

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Unriconically good. Helping the kid escape while everyone else fucks around anime fighting. A true hero.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
King...:allears:
I guess tatsumaki was being pretty cool as well.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
At first I thought Murata's proportions were a little weird until I realized that Tatsumaki was literally twisting Psykos' body like a pretzel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Unriconically good. Helping the kid escape while everyone else fucks around anime fighting. A true hero.

Speaking of heroes, it's interesting that Tats started ripping into Mask because he failed to save the mercs. She's an rear end in a top hat, but she's also an rear end in a top hat who thinks that a hero's job is to save everyone, and that if you can't do that, you should just get out of the way of the actual pros.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I change my previous answer, the most supportive character in OPM is that snake lady's bra.

Bleach will always hold a special place in my heart because it turned out that the main character's powers actually came from Hitler, so it was in fact, a swastika sword.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

chiasaur11 posted:

Speaking of heroes, it's interesting that Tats started ripping into Mask because he failed to save the mercs. She's an rear end in a top hat, but she's also an rear end in a top hat who thinks that a hero's job is to save everyone, and that if you can't do that, you should just get out of the way of the actual pros.

He also showed up after the Boros fight and reamed out all the S class heroes for not saving the city, IIRC, so she was kind of just turning that back on him.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Bremen posted:

He also showed up after the Boros fight and reamed out all the S class heroes for not saving the city, IIRC, so she was kind of just turning that back on him.

Yea I appreciated that knife twist she did.

Also King is incredible. I love his supernatural good luck.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I appreciate how much these interactions build up how much the Hero Association is completely dysfunctional. Love the knife twisting, but Psykos is completely right. This is so just a bunch of powerful people/personalities, and not a team.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Donkringel posted:

Also King is incredible. I love his supernatural good luck.
I love that I was like "oh poo poo King is yelling at a kid" and then... No? He isn't?

Or was he?

loving King so good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Was expecting the kid to be a monster disguised as a child. Invisible was a good swerve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

RareAcumen posted:

Was expecting the kid to be a monster disguised as a child. Invisible was a good swerve.

They already did that and King also took care of it.