Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SolusLunes posted:

On the bright side the oil filter is on top of the engine, so that's always nice!

Hell yeah, this is what I loving love about my WRX. It's so clean.

quote:

Whatever you do, you should probably not do this. Especially if you ever hope to take a family trip, having two people doing the driving would be hell on fatigue for longer trips since you can't very well swap on and off.

Yup, great point, not to mention the 2x wear and tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hell yeah, this is what I loving love about my WRX. It's so clean.

I'm super lazy about getting under my car for oil changes now that I have a newer Forester and don't have to get under the car to swap the filter, just vacuum pump out the oil through the dipstick because going down on the ground is hard (also my driveway is gravel)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SolusLunes posted:

A used Subaru Ascent ticks basically all of those boxes

Unless I'm reading Subaru's page wrong, you can't get the middle seat in the 2nd row unless you buy their audio/Nav package on the 2020s. loving :lol:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Been dumping too much repair money into our 2006 Odyssey these past few years, so looking for recommendations.

Proposed Budget: ~35k, loosely. Cheaper is better. Variable though, if it gets us what we want.

Yukons seem hilariously overpriced and Suburbans more reasonable.
We're open to all suggestions, including a tank or an old H1 with mounted 50 cal. Or a clown car.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2020/02/06/mercedes-benz-weekender-van-pop-up-camper-chicago-auto-show/4677037002/

can you double your budget? :newlol:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Cars like the ascent and the cx9 are on the smaller end for a three row, I really would not want to carry five kids in one of those. Probably stick to true minivans or expeditions or suburbans.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Get an old limo.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
E150

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Funny thing is we've heard all these joke posts when we announced the twins, haha. My grandparents did have one of those old-rear end camping conversion pop-up vans. There were no seatbelts in the back and it was rad as hell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those were all serious recommendations. A joke post would have all been links to vasectomy doctors.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Already accomplished that :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Having been a tall kid in that situation a long time ago, long SUVs are more comfortable than long minivans. Of course, this is comparing GMT400 Suburbans and GMT360 Trailblazer EXTs to first and second gen Grand Voyagers, so I'd hope the minivans have improved a good deal... but the second row of both of those SUVs was more comfortable than the second row of the GVs.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Funny thing is we've heard all these joke posts when we announced the twins, haha. My grandparents did have one of those old-rear end camping conversion pop-up vans. There were no seatbelts in the back and it was rad as hell.

First vehicle purchase after the twins came. As a 3rd / adventure vehicle, it's loving amazing. So I think the true answer is a van with a 4x4 kit and also a Corvette to get you to and from work.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Cross-posting here from the general stupid questions thread, sorry for the spam.

I'm a car idiot, help. I don't really have to commute anywhere, but I'm still in a fairly drive-heavy area and I'd love not to have to rely on Uber for everything. I want a vehicle that is built like an AK-47 and will not break on you unless you really try. Also one that is frugal, is cheap to maintain, doesn't impress anybody, gets me from A to B, that has CarPlay and modern safety features so I don't cripple myself by being a dipshit. What would fit these requirements? I'm thinking either a recent (2016+) Civic or a Corolla, since depreciation is only about... $1000 to $1500 a year on these, so I should still be able to sell them back if I need to later down the line without it hurting too bad. Thoughts?

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 18, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Or an even older corolla if you skip carplay.
I'd go rolla over civic if all that matters is reliability despite some neglect. There's a reason why the corolla is the national car of afganistan and the civic ain't.

This isn't to say civic aren't reliable, but corollas are better for that. The prius is probably even more reliable than a corolla, but you can't fix it quite as easily of things do break.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Fair enough! How easy is it to swap out an older Corolla media system with an aftermarket one that would support CarPlay? Is that a no go because of how integrated it is?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Been dumping too much repair money into our 2006 Odyssey these past few years, so looking for recommendations.

Have you driven a new Odyssey?

We got a used 2018. If you have the two car seats in the middle and removed the middle bonus seat, the 2nd row can slide left to right to allow easier entry into the 3rd row. We went with a van after checking out all of the 3 row SUVs for 3rd row people comfort and quantity of storage.

2018 EXL w/nav and res come with carplay, bluetooth, and all of those driver assistance things you mentioned and can be had for around <$30k.
However in Honda land, for just a little more you can get a new one but it will be the base model that no one wants to drive.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

Fair enough! How easy is it to swap out an older Corolla media system with an aftermarket one that would support CarPlay? Is that a no go because of how integrated it is?

It looks like they have kits for newish Corollas (I had a 2009 and it was easy):
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120958245/Metra-95-8245CHG-Dash-Kit-High-Gloss-Charcoal.html

Double din is the standard for new CarPlay systems, so just get one of those and you're good. Good luck though, there are tons of options (it took me a solid two weeks to hone down on what I wanted when I did it).

Check Crutchfield, if you buy through them they give you all the install gear and their support has been pretty much awesome. Once you tally up the installation bits and pieces it ends up being cheaper, at least in my case it was. Otherwise if you feel like rolling the dice you can buy grey market on eBay and the like.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

We got a used 2018. If you have the two car seats in the middle and removed the middle bonus seat, the 2nd row can slide left to right to allow easier entry into the 3rd row. We went with a van after checking out all of the 3 row SUVs for 3rd row people comfort and quantity of storage.

2018 EXL w/nav and res come with carplay, bluetooth, and all of those driver assistance things you mentioned and can be had for around <$30k.
However in Honda land, for just a little more you can get a new one but it will be the base model that no one wants to drive.

Nope, haven’t driven anything yet. That sliding row sounds cool, but unfortunately we need the bonus seat in the middle to avoid 3 older kids fighting all the loving time in the 3rd row.

I’ll try to check out some 18s though. I do like how deep the trunk is on our 06 and how the seats fold super nicely in if needed.

e: bah, forgot they’re FWD only.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 19, 2020

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Been dumping too much repair money into our 2006 Odyssey these past few years

Body Style: 4-door with 3rd row seating.

Ford Flex may be a good fit. They're mechanically sound, have a nice interior, but the trunk space may be a tight.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ThirstyBuck posted:

I was going to PM you and saw you don't have it, so thought I could ask here: what's your opinion of the 9 speed transmission so far?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KillHour posted:

Those were all serious recommendations. A joke post would have all been links to vasectomy doctors.

Vasectomies are loving great.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Shine posted:

Vasectomies are loving great.

:hf: My 9 year anniversary was today.

As someone who has sat in the third row of a Yukon for an extended road trip, they are not comfortable at all and I'd suggest whatever flavor of minivan ticks all your boxes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know why my used limo idea isn't getting more buy in :colbert:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

KillHour posted:

If you can convince my wife to drive me around in a limo, I’ll gladly pay you a finders fee :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

I don't think I've ever seen any recommendations in the detailing thread on removing semen from upholstery.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SolusLunes posted:

Starlink sucks, this is true. It depends on how much you hate it, though. It DOES have Carplay/Android Auto, though. A used Subaru Ascent ticks basically all of those boxes- new is probably just outside what your pricerange is. On the bright side the oil filter is on top of the engine, so that's always nice!

the ascent is significantly smaller and more useless than a minivan

The Siena is AWD, that's an option. Otherwise the Suburban is my preferred giant box with 4x4. Do not expect good fuel economy.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Unless I'm reading Subaru's page wrong, you can't get the middle seat in the 2nd row unless you buy their audio/Nav package on the 2020s. loving :lol:

Today I learned a thing

man I'm glad I have no kids

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

If you can convince my wife to drive me around in a limo, I’ll gladly pay you a finders fee :v:

Drive her around first... Come on, that's the rule.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Siena is AWD, that's an option. Otherwise the Suburban is my preferred giant box with 4x4. Do not expect good fuel economy.

Yeah, the Sienna looks like the only minivan with AWD, so that unfortunately limits our choices unless we go with a box 4x4. And it looks like if you get AWD on the Sienna XLE, you can't get a middle seat for the second row. Haven't checked the other trims yet though.

Looking more and more like a Suburban box.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Do you truly need AWD? The only time I've needed it going to a ski resort was in a rented suburban that just kept wanting to slide through turns, but it was also a rented car without proper tires. A FWD minivan would have had no issue with it. AWD is nice in snow, but hardly a necessity to go to Tahoe I feel. If you get a RWD truck (suv) then you may have some small issues, sure.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After driving our Odyssey through the Tahoe mountains in piles of snow and ice, even with mud/snow rated all-season tires, I'd greatly prefer it and don't mind paying extra for it. It's not a necessity, no, but gives much more peace of mind and confidence that I'm not going to be sliding everywhere, especially since I plan on grabbing a set of winter tires.

My WRX absolutely rips through ice and show with Michelin X-Ice tires and I want something similar.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Pacifica will have awd this year dunno if that’s early enough for your time frame tho

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
An all season that just has M+S on the sidewall may be nowhere near an actual winter tire and there are barely any requirements to put that on the tire label.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

powderific posted:

An all season that just has M+S on the sidewall may be nowhere near an actual winter tire and there are barely any requirements to put that on the tire label.

While absolutely true, it's enough to legally count as "traction tires" when the state patrol gets involved with mountain pass road restrictions.

The absurdly overcautious and outdated restrictions that get slapped on all the mountain passes around here at the slightest hint of snow or ice is what makes me want an AWD car, despite not really needing one.

A typical road restriction is "traction tires required, chains required except for AWD cars" which is patently absurd considering a 2WD car with real winter tires will run circles around an AWD car with mediocre M+S all seasons. But if you get into any sort of accident or checkpoint you're in the wrong despite 2WD+snow tires being objectively better than an AWD+all-season.

Naturally, AWD + real snow tires is the ideal and will be near-unstoppable (with sensible driving) for any conditions where the roads aren't outright closed.

Also chains are atrocious garbage in general, especially on top of a good winter tire. We'd be way better off adopting the rules that our Canadian neighbors just a few miles north have: real winter tires required on all cars in the mountains during winter. But no way something so sensible will get enacted here.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 19, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah its more a function of chain law etc

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

SourKraut posted:

I was going to PM you and saw you don't have it, so thought I could ask here: what's your opinion of the 9 speed transmission so far?

The first 1-2 shift in the morning is laughably snappy but otherwise I’m happy with it. I haven’t driven the 10 speed - but I also don’t feel any need to.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It depends on the state too. In Oregon only tires with the "mountain and snowflake" symbol count as traction tires that don't need chains.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've been driving a Cayman the last few years and I absolutely love it, but fatherhood is bearing down on me and two-seater mid engines just aren't going to cut the mustard, as they say. As loathe as I am to get rid of it, I'll be selling it in order to buy a family-capable (but not necessarily "family") car.

I'm mostly planning on doing a certified pre-owned, though may pick something up from Craigslist, as I've had nothing but good experiences doing that. I'm terribly tempted by a BMW three series or an a/s4, but the price of luxury thwarts me. I can get a 2017 330i or whatever for around 28k, which I can afford, but at the same time I can get a similar year civic for $10k less (or more). When I take into count maintenance costs and Edmonds tco, it's real hard to justify buying a BMW over a Honda. That $10k is a lot of new kitchen.

To that end, in eyeing a 2017/18 Civic Sport, as it like how it lands in the intersection of price, maintenance, reliability, space, and styling. My question to you guys is whether there's some other model I've overlooked that would be a significant upgrade over that, all factors considered.

I posted this a week or two ago, and you all heavily recommended A. buying Hondas new, and B. looking at the Si. I've been poking around local dealer inventories, waiting for a few lump sum payments to come in before I made a purchase.

Well, today I stumbled upon a used 2017 Civic Type R. 29k miles, $31k. Would I be crazy to buy this? Daily driver year round, ~30 mi each day. Typically it will be just me, or me and one kid. I figure it's on the higher side of what I wanted to spend, but I'd get a ridiculously fun car, it's still a Honda, so maintenance won't be as bad as a German vehicle would be (right?), and resale should hold up well, should it come to that. A bit of the best of both worlds. And -- say of me what you will here -- I love the styling.

Would I be a drat fool to buy this car if I could get it south of $27k?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I posted this a week or two ago, and you all heavily recommended A. buying Hondas new, and B. looking at the Si. I've been poking around local dealer inventories, waiting for a few lump sum payments to come in before I made a purchase.

Well, today I stumbled upon a used 2017 Civic Type R. 29k miles, $31k. Would I be crazy to buy this? Daily driver year round, ~30 mi each day. Typically it will be just me, or me and one kid. I figure it's on the higher side of what I wanted to spend, but I'd get a ridiculously fun car, it's still a Honda, so maintenance won't be as bad as a German vehicle would be (right?), and resale should hold up well, should it come to that. A bit of the best of both worlds. And -- say of me what you will here -- I love the styling.

Would I be a drat fool to buy this car if I could get it south of $27k?

Get a pre-purchase inspection. See if the car has been modded and abused.

It's a car with relatively high demand. I don't know if you'll be able to get it much lower than $31k unless there's really something wrong with it.

I believe earlier Type Rs had heating issues I don't know where that stands currently. Not sure if it was solved or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Get a pre-purchase inspection. See if the car has been modded and abused.

It's a car with relatively high demand. I don't know if you'll be able to get it much lower than $31k unless there's really something wrong with it.

I believe earlier Type Rs had heating issues I don't know where that stands currently. Not sure if it was solved or not.

Unfortunately, the car is a couple states away (but being sold by a dealership with a location here). How do I go about getting an inspection on it in that case? Arrange the dealer dropping it off at an independent garage and speaking to them directly?