Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Relevant cross post from the Roman/Ancient history thread:

https://kiwihellenist.blogspot.com/2017/02/dying-and-rising-gods-are-they-thing.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the fun thing about this game is you'll come across something "totally broken, this is ridiculous I'll never get stronger than this" and then like 3 runs later you've found something even more powerful

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm poo poo at swording. Please tell me the most broken combo I can do with a sword and 7-ish Titan Blood.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm poo poo at swording. Please tell me the most broken combo I can do with a sword and 7-ish Titan Blood.

Poseidon Sword and go hard on Artemis for the Cast boosts.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

You can avoid damage in every fight in the game by just dodging around. I’m saying don’t ever attack, just avoid their attacks. Do this for a minute or so in every room until you learn the tells, and THEN go in for attacks / button mashing.

The sword is the least forgiving weapon due to the complete lack of range, and because of this, it also benefits the most from understanding enemy attack patterns and how to exploit them.

At worst, you can blow all your casts and then dodge around waiting for the blood shards (or whatever they’re called) to drop.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dias posted:

This. In a pinch Pos and Ath casts are also strong when spammed. Dislodge bonus is :kiss:

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 20, 2020

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I like using the Nemesis blade for that crit bonus. The fun thing is that you don't have to hit an enemy to get the crit bonus, so whiffing a special a safe distance away from enemies and then dashing in to beat them to a paste is completely viable.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Fat Samurai posted:

Max Zagreus aspect (which completes Skelly's Ambrosia quest, I preferred the decoy Companion before I got Shady). Get extra dashes from Hermes, and if you can, also get extra movespeed after you dash. High Movespeed is key, since you have to get in and out of range quickly, and you need to break targeting from closer range than the other weapons. Also make sure you don't neglect your Call. Sword doesn't let you focus on just one move as much as other weapons, so you've got to use all the stuff in a more hybrid build. You get a damage boost for backstabs, you get a damage boost for having Bloodstones stuck in enemies, do your best to cycle through your moves to maximize all of that.

Get the Double-swing on Dash Attack hammer upgrade, make sure you get two easy to apply statuses, and dash around the screen never getting hit. Poseidon Dash, Athena Attack, and Zeus/Poseidon/Artemis would be my top picks, Aphrodite and Dionysus just behind, with upgrades that make them apply a status for Privileged. Poseidon is my favorite god for Sword because the Knockback stuns the poo poo out of guys and makes it much safer to get in close, plus it's got great AOE, which Sword is terrible at.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 20, 2020

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Fat Samurai posted:

Nemesis Aspect with Artemis attack and preferably her raw crit boon, attack boons from chaos and big swing from the hammer, then whatever else you find that increases crit or attack damage. Adding deflect cast and expose from Athena can bump the damage up pretty significantly, as will attack speed from Hermes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dias posted:

I did this for my last run and ended up with 7 casts, Chill on cast, 5 seconds until the bloodstones came off, 140 damage when they did and they also created lightning while on the floor.

It was disgusting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's an interesting article thank you for sharing it here

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kuros posted:

I like using the Nemesis blade for that crit bonus. The fun thing is that you don't have to hit an enemy to get the crit bonus, so whiffing a special a safe distance away from enemies and then dashing in to beat them to a paste is completely viable.

You can dash after during the special's windup animation, so you can do the windup a safe distance away and then dash into an enemy to suddenly deal nova damage right next to them if you want to be even more devastating. This is an excellent technique for attacking skull piles since the special can kill all of the skulls in 1 hit (without armor), and then you use your crit bonus to finish off the pile's health

Infinite Karma posted:

plus it's got great AOE, which Sword is terrible at.

The sword is great at AOE, that's literally what the special does and it's why special+dash is such a good combo. The AOE is not as large as a fully-charged spear, but it executes much faster, can be spammed when necessary, and provides knockback.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Somebody commented on how they didn't like the bow - one of the key things about it is that the dash attack has a notably faster charge time than the standard, in exchange for having lower damage (40 vs 60 for powershots). However, you can offset that for the most part with the artemis dash boon.
Bow is honestly my go to if I just want to clear, with artemis normal + dash, with both hammers buffing the attack. In particular, explosive shot + twin shot or triple shot is pretty great for causing everything to explode.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Bow is the only weapon where I try to focus on straight up power instead of getting Privileged Status because the base damage is just so high and only gets more ridiculous with Artemis boons

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

siotle posted:

Somebody commented on how they didn't like the bow - one of the key things about it is that the dash attack has a notably faster charge time than the standard, in exchange for having lower damage (40 vs 60 for powershots). However, you can offset that for the most part with the artemis dash boon.
Bow is honestly my go to if I just want to clear, with artemis normal + dash, with both hammers buffing the attack. In particular, explosive shot + twin shot or triple shot is pretty great for causing everything to explode.

I've been managing to get by using the bow by leaning heavily on my casts (I'm only heat level 2 with the bow as of yet), but the volley special is just so weak as to be pointless (even w/ DOT buffs like Doom), the chargeup is still lengthy, I dunno, it still feels like the Rail beats it in just about every category but range, i.e. amazing special, low damage per hit, but high rate of fire so you can shoot and dash away instead of just aborting a halfway charged attack to dash off. The bow's dual shot is decent, even though you sacrifice range. Is the default bow still the best version? The other 2 variants didn't exactly blow my mind, although maybe it's my character setup that's the issue.

For everything else, though, I'd even take Guan Yu over the bow as the special has great range, fast, and I think it even does AOE damage. Which, btw, how much titan blood does it take to max out Guan Yu, and what percentage max life will it still drop at max level?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Kaincypher posted:

I've been managing to get by using the bow by leaning heavily on my casts (I'm only heat level 2 with the bow as of yet), but the volley special is just so weak as to be pointless (even w/ DOT buffs like Doom), the chargeup is still lengthy, I dunno, it still feels like the Rail beats it in just about every category but range, i.e. amazing special, low damage per hit, but high rate of fire so you can shoot and dash away instead of just aborting a halfway charged attack to dash off. The bow's dual shot is decent, even though you sacrifice range. Is the default bow still the best version? The other 2 variants didn't exactly blow my mind, although maybe it's my character setup that's the issue.

For everything else, though, I'd even take Guan Yu over the bow as the special has great range, fast, and I think it even does AOE damage. Which, btw, how much titan blood does it take to max out Guan Yu, and what percentage max life will it still drop at max level?

The bow's default special is good for two things - completely reflecting everything on the screen with athena's Q boon, and filling a boss's back with arrows while they're sitting there doing nothing. Dash in, hit q twice, dash out, do a poo poo ton of damage.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kaincypher posted:

I don't remember how much blood it took, but it maxes out at 50% of your life.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Both non-standard bow aspects are amazingly good and loads of fun once you figure out decent builds for them. For the Chiron aspect, you have two good options. First, you can look for boons on special that do well with a bunch of stacks. Dionysus is probably the best option, but Demeter is good too. Then get a boon with a status effect on attack. Demeter and Aphrodite are best. Now you are constantly setting up the Privileged Status 50% damage boost just by using your bow the way you normally would with this aspect. If you catch one or two more good synergistic boons then things get crazy very fast. The second option for Chiron is to just get Artemis on special. Because you're landing so many shots so quickly with Chiron, you're almost guaranteed to crit regularly. Always take the extra +4 shots hammer bonus if offered with Chiron.

Even if you're running Zagreus aspect on the bow, the special is still very useful situationally. It's great for clearing a whole mess of projectiles out of your way or pushing back a bunch of enemies at once. You can also use it in melee range to hit multiple times on a single enemy, which does decent damage and can dump lots of status effect stacks out very fast.

Using Hera aspect can be harder to set up, but it gets super broken with any luck at all. You want to get a powerful cast as fast as possible. Many people like Festive Fog, but it hangs around too much for my liking. I prefer Crush Shot from Aphrodite by a wide margin. Again, get any boon on your attack that gives a status effect (Demeter is my favorite) and you'll automatically set up privileged status with every single loaded up shot you take. This is already going to do ridiculous damage as is, but if you get extra bloodstones or added boons that help your cast then you'll be demolishing pretty much everything short of a boss in a single shot. This is also an aspect that absolutely wrecks house without any hammer upgrades at all, which is nice. I mean, they're still good, but completely not required.

I haven't run the regular bow at all since opening up the other aspects. They are both so vastly superior as to eclipse it entirely for me.

EDIT - According to the wiki, Guan Yu aspect takes 15 blood to fully upgrade.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Using Hera aspect can be harder to set up, but it gets super broken with any luck at all. You want to get a powerful cast as fast as possible. Many people like Festive Fog, but it hangs around too much for my liking. I prefer Crush Shot from Aphrodite by a wide margin. Again, get any boon on your attack that gives a status effect (Demeter is my favorite) and you'll automatically set up privileged status with every single loaded up shot you take. This is already going to do ridiculous damage as is, but if you get extra bloodstones or added boons that help your cast then you'll be demolishing pretty much everything short of a boss in a single shot. This is also an aspect that absolutely wrecks house without any hammer upgrades at all, which is nice. I mean, they're still good, but completely not required.

I haven't run the regular bow at all since opening up the other aspects. They are both so vastly superior as to eclipse it entirely for me.

EDIT - According to the wiki, Guan Yu aspect takes 15 blood to fully upgrade.

Warning! Hera bow is currently slightly bugged, it will sometimes shoot your bloodstones through walls and you'll have to wait a long time for them to return. It happens a lot with Aphrodite's Cast boon since they have a secondary hit that shoots past the first target, and the bloodstones will drop where that ends, instead of staying in the first target. I think this is supposed to be fixed in the next patch, but you might want to keep a backup plan just in case.

Also Hera bow is nuts with Zeus's chain lightning boon, especially if you also get the bouncing arrow hammer. You can pretty easily clear whole rooms in a shot or 2

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
That is certainly a thing I've seen too, but I think they may have done some sort of hotfix for this issue. I did a Hera bow run a night or two ago and when the stones would go through the wall or otherwise disappear from play, after a few seconds they would just sort of magically reappear by the wall nearest where they were lost.

Also, I did figure out how to do this...

Alas, it can only be done in the armory with Skelly.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 21, 2020

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

I know it's not super high heat, but honestly I still really like the base bow. 10% crit chance on your base attack is still quite good. Triple shot + explosive shot is also a lot of fun - you can get right up in bosses and potentially hit them with all 3 explosions for massive damage. It also means that you have amazing aoe damage.
Bow special is a bit janky. Like other people mentioned, it's great for its utility. However, if you take charged volley, then it can really put out a ton of burst damage - although I'm still not sure if it's worth it. It's fun though!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

siotle posted:

I know it's not super high heat, but honestly I still really like the base bow. 10% crit chance on your base attack is still quite good. Triple shot + explosive shot is also a lot of fun - you can get right up in bosses and potentially hit them with all 3 explosions for massive damage. It also means that you have amazing aoe damage.
Bow special is a bit janky. Like other people mentioned, it's great for its utility. However, if you take charged volley, then it can really put out a ton of burst damage - although I'm still not sure if it's worth it. It's fun though!

I agree, Zag Bow is great. It's Chiron Bow that's overrated. If you think about it, max Chiron special is only 70 base damage and can't use the best +damage per hit abilities (supporting fire and Zeus) so it's basically just a 70 damage hit, 110 with the hammer upgrade. Then you have to deal with the homing arrows being janky and running into walls and not getting backstab damage and what not.

Sometimes you just get flurry shot + double shot or something and you have a 2 hit 100 damage attack or triple shot and your primary just owns anyway. And you can take Ares on special to get better room clear. And the normal attack pierces enemies. +10% crit is great. And you can still just stand really close behind somebody and shotgun them for up to 90 damage (ok most likely 70 since a couple always miss).

Don't sleep on Zag Bow.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I like the Chiron bow, but it's good on slow runs with not a lot of enemies. Jury Summons for extra enemies is one of my favorite heat options, and it's not good when there's swarms of baddies. The homing special is really finicky too, so I'd rather have the special be for crowd control.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Little late to sword chat, but just wanted to mention that sword plays a bit better if you use M+KB controls. I use gamepad for everything else, but sword in particular doesn't seem to get much in the way of auto aim, especially when dashing, so it's very easy to whiff hits that are just a little off to one side. But with mouse, you get a bit of wiggle room to aim your hit a different direction than your dash.

My takeaway from this is that Zagreus is Jesus

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

BobTheJanitor posted:

My takeaway from this is that Zagreus is Jesus

Zagreus
Jesus

I think you may be on to something

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
spank my rear end and call me sally-mae, because I've just tried the Hera Bow, and i was blown away. My failures in understanding were two things: I thought it fired the cast shot instead of the regular attack, not in addition. Second, I didn't know you could load multiple casts into one shot. My first time taking it out on 3 Heat, and I curb-stomped old Hades with Artemis cast and Aphrodite attack bonuses, Exit Wounds, Greater Recall, and 4-second cast drop time, plus +56% cast damage from Chaos, and finally +300% distance damage from the hammer. It hurt for a while since Athena and her amazing deflects didn't show up until late, late Elysium, but all-in-all just freaking amazing.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
You can load multiple spells into one shot? Crazy.

I have a question about the chaos shield.

Rank one causes the shield throw to deal double damage (two instances of damage are visible) but doesn't let on hit effects like Zeus apply twice. Is this still the case for rank 2+?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Knockback causes lightning, lightning causes jolted, and knockback also causes rupture. That was a fun combo, fairly easy to force to set up also.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

X causes status are artificially rarer than other boons (for every status) and the first one is a duo boon so that’s actually super specific and rare

But a ton of fun with rail gun

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

kaschei posted:

X causes status are artificially rarer than other boons (for every status) and the first one is a duo boon so that’s actually super specific and rare

But a ton of fun with rail gun

Oh. I keep getting it, but variance is variance I guess.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Woohoo, hundredth clear. It's funny. Your biases really become evident on the clear screen once you've played a long time.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Woohoo, hundredth clear. It's funny. Your biases really become evident on the clear screen once you've played a long time.

What is "Artemis all day, every day + Hermes extra dashes?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
artemis is going to get nerfed into the center of the earth and i will hold a day of mourning when that happens

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Just lost two different games to a crash during the arena fight, both using Hera Trippy Shot (no duo boons or other synergies), both times hitting Asterius with it. He might have been about to do a phase transition, I'm not sure. Anyway the game freezes up and then crashes to desktop. Anyone had this happen?

e: I played several games fine in between using other weapons.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I've had a crash or two, but they've been extremely uncommon. Don't think it's been under those circumstances. When I did, I just reset the seed by standing in lava or otherwise dying on purpose and it solved the problem for me. You should definitely do a bug report though so the devs can deal with any underlying issue at play.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Seeds in this game are interesting. If you giveup you keep the same seed, and you'll get offered the same poo poo, including equivalent boon offerings. dash/cast/special in my current, for example. Which is nice if you want to win.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I had a run where I won the Duo Boon lottery and ended up with zeus/dionysus, zeus/demeter, and demeter/dionysus. So my casts would do lightning (35% chance to strike twice), stun, chill, apply jolted, jolted stayed on for 10 seconds, if everything was chilled they'd decay. Just on my cast. I was using the Zeus Aspect shield, and I had Zeus's special boon on it, so I'd throw it and have it sit on the boss for a few seconds spamming lighting bolts. poo poo was nuts.

Also the Guan Yu spear seems ridiculous at low heat at least. The spin does so much damage, especially with the hammer that upgrades its damage + radius. Also the special is REALLY GOOD. Huge chunk of damage, spammable, can hit multiple enemies... I beat Hades with the level 1 spear, I think I had something like 110 hp after starting with 30ish. I was using the Cerberus keepsake for the extra HP too.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

A Moose posted:

I had a run where I won the Duo Boon lottery and ended up with zeus/dionysus, zeus/demeter, and demeter/dionysus. So my casts would do lightning (35% chance to strike twice), stun, chill, apply jolted, jolted stayed on for 10 seconds, if everything was chilled they'd decay. Just on my cast. I was using the Zeus Aspect shield, and I had Zeus's special boon on it, so I'd throw it and have it sit on the boss for a few seconds spamming lighting bolts. poo poo was nuts.

Also the Guan Yu spear seems ridiculous at low heat at least. The spin does so much damage, especially with the hammer that upgrades its damage + radius. Also the special is REALLY GOOD. Huge chunk of damage, spammable, can hit multiple enemies... I beat Hades with the level 1 spear, I think I had something like 110 hp after starting with 30ish. I was using the Cerberus keepsake for the extra HP too.

I loving hate guan Yu. I've maxed it out, and just because it has the health steal, a run gets very grindy when I sit behind a wall and throw out spins to get my life back. Then I invariably die to the last boss because I have a small health pool.

:argh:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I hate that Hades has so many times where he's invulnerable, either he disappears or puts up a shield. If I have enough damage to melt him, let me melt him. It's enough that he has a death defiance. Now that the Hydra has been changed, Hades is the new slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The coolest thing is shattering Hades when he hits 10% health