Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

My plan is to print the 4 relevant pages for my Army and elaminate them. Easy peasy.

I have my codex and my rulebook. That is enough books to tote around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4i-phXWDVY
holy shiiiiit :captainpop:
it's DEFF SKWADRON: DA GAME
zog me it's beauterfull

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Radio Free Kobold posted:

zog me it's beauterfull

I'm the lime green ork that looks like its from some sort of horror show.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

zog me it's beauterfull

And here's a bit more info about the game

https://www.destructoid.com/warhammer-40-000-dakka-squadron-is-an-ork-aerial-combat-game-581144.phtml

I was worried it would be a mobile game but nope, PC and console release.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Gotta say those graphics look like megashit.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Snake Dance posted:

Gotta say those graphics look like megashit.

Not gonna lie, that throws me back like 20 years.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

That's why I was thinking it was a phone game.

Sometimes flying games sacrifice graphics for scale, like strategy games. They usually only have to look good from far away and at great speed but uh, I somehow doubt that's the case here and even if it was it's a little extreme.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I was gonna say that it still looks better than Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War but then I watched the video of it in motion :yikes:

I really wish GW had some esthetic sense in their games. I know grimdark is their brand but everything they do is so muddy, dark, and cheerless. Especially with a faction like Orks, they should really bring back something like the 2nd edition codices' vibrant colors.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
If it plays anything like Crimson Skies on xbox did it’s gonna be amazing.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Can we please get a proper Dawn of War sequel with all of the factions in it instead of having to install like twenty mods

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

the graphics are worse than their imperial knight mobile game, but if it's fun i'll buy it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Floppychop posted:

Same for me. I really liked the gameplay and certain rules, TBH. The warcaster being the "anchor" for your army as far as powering warjacks is really cool to me. Then how they handle line of sight is far better than 40k/Sigmar imo. Doing stuff like your warjacks picking up and throwing another warjack was also wicked fun.

I still have my Khador models and would gladly start playing it again, but the game is dead locally.

The worst offense here is that doing rad stuff like armlocking an enemy jack and headbutting it was almost always suboptimal from a mechanical standpoint, which is a crying shame because I really wanted to focus on giant steam robots throwing sick wrestling moves on each other instead of just regular attacks.

koreban posted:

You saved yourself some heartache overall, however...

Guess they'll get one more sale out of me at least, for old times sake.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Can anyone ID the wings on this guy:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ashcans posted:

The worst offense here is that doing rad stuff like armlocking an enemy jack and headbutting it was almost always suboptimal from a mechanical standpoint, which is a crying shame because I really wanted to focus on giant steam robots throwing sick wrestling moves on each other instead of just regular attacks.

One thing I distinctly remember doing is a chain attack: Throw. I double punched a Slayer with my Kodiak, the Kodiak then threw the Slayer at an opponent's solo and killed it. Basically I got to smack a dude with another dude.

Closest thing we get in 40k is a Knight with a gauntlet getting the bonus mortal wounds if it killed a vehicle or monster. But no actual model displacement.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Two Headed Calf posted:

Looks like Frostheart Phoenix: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Frostheart-Phoenix

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the graphic of Dakka Squadron look like Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

and if it plays like Crimson Skies, I'm all in.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Does anyone ever use the Crucible of War narrative miseions from the rulebook? They look like fun changes of pace, though I can see why they're not the norm.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Man, you ain’t loving kidding.

quote:

Guess they'll get one more sale out of me at least, for old times sake.
It’s a great model. I don’t hold it against anyone picking up a unique kit like that.

It just sucks that the game/community went to poo poo.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Two Headed Calf posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8wrUFvHadQ/

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The Bee posted:

Does anyone ever use the Crucible of War narrative miseions from the rulebook? They look like fun changes of pace, though I can see why they're not the norm.

If they are the more narrative ones I designed a tree campaign to play with friends using them and the matched play missions.

The narrative ones having an attacker and defender basically means if you're on the "attacker is winning" or "defender is winning" path the missions reflect it. The others since they are designed to be relatively balanced I used for the "stalemate" path.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kitchner posted:

So if anyone was curious what the Primaris Librarian looks like kit bashed into a grey Knights librarian the result is not bad:

I think what really sold it here was using the Grey Knight terminator helmet I had knocking about from the Dreadknights.

The Chaplain though doesn't look as good for a couple of reasons. Firstly i used the Primaris chaplain head because it's pretty cool. Secondly it doesn't have a psychic hood at the back of the head. Thirdly, I chickened out and didn't cut back the right shoulder to stick the grey Knight justiciar shoulder on the right.

At the moment I've left it black because it's like the rest of the armour is silver but instead of personal heraldry or the filigree on the right he has a black chaplain sign.

Thing is though a lot of the rest of the model is black due to its robe so I may just paint the right shoulder pad the same colour as the armour to break up the colour a bit.

Spent some time just putting down the base coats on them:

The conversions were pretty easy though. The librarian was just a head swap, cutting off and filing down the right hand and a warding stave can go straight on from the strike squad. The storm bolter was just stuck on with a bunch of plastic glue, was thinking I may have to green stuff the sides but not necessary in the end.

The Chaplain was more of a hassle simply because his right hand was clearly holding a pistol grip, so I swapped it out for a spare strike squad fist holding a sword which is less noticeable. The bigger problem was the pistol holster on his front. It was easy to cut off but left a big ugly hole. In the end I figured I could move his book to the front and it even lines up with the leather belt to the pistol and the strap on the book, and then stuck a grey Knight decoration over the rest of it, looking like it's just another thing dangling down.

If I did the chaplain again I'd use the grey Knight justiciar shoulder on the right for sure, even though it would be a pain.

Those are goddamn rad.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Yvonmukluk posted:

Those are goddamn rad.

Thanks! Really happy with the Librarian, he will look stylish while he sits at the back of the board waving his hands around and hoping no one kills him.

The Chaplain looks too much like the primaris chaplain so not as happy with it, he will do though until I can be bothered to try and make one in actual terminator armour. If anyone tries this conversion themselves, my advice is to take the time to clip down the right shoulder and put the Justicar shoulder on there. It's only a small change but it's super visible on the model so it would make a big difference I think. The left shoulder with the GK symbol is really hard to see due to the angle of the arm.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 21, 2020

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so my dark angels space mans are good now?

e: forgive my ignorance but why are there super big space mans now?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

sneakyfrog posted:

so my dark angels space mans are good now?

e: forgive my ignorance but why are there super big space mans now?

Dark Angels are... better. They're not in the "Oh poo poo we're actually breaking the game" territory like Iron Hands/Imperial Fists are right now, but they've gotten all the new Marine toys plus their own tricks in the Ritual of the Damned book that make them tasty.

As for Primaris Marines there's no where to take the model line forwards and people have been wanting bigger Marines for years, lorewise they're a plan put in motion by Robbie Guilliman just before he got put in a pod, to try and perfect the Marine creation process after discovering the Emperor never really intended Astartes to last past the Crusade. Certified Crazy Motherfucker Archmagos Cawl continued the project in secret as best he could, but only with Bobby's revival in Gathering Storm and the galaxy promptly ripping literally in half did Cawl have the fresh genetic material and right timing to activate them.

Primaris are bigger, badder and equipped with higher-tech weapons than their older brothers, but are prone to thinking robotically due to their hypno-indoctrination process and despite Cawl's assurances they're starting to fall into the same genetic pitfalls as regular Marines do, i.e: Blood Angels' Black Rage and the Curse of the Wulfen. On top of some chapters and factions of the Imperium just straight up not trusting them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
is there a good synopsis an all this fluff stuff somewhere outside of reading like 10 billion black library books assuming i have not played or painted since about 2008?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

sneakyfrog posted:

is there a good synopsis an all this fluff stuff somewhere outside of reading like 10 billion black library books assuming i have not played or painted since about 2008?

The basics are all in the rulebook and codex for your army.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

sneakyfrog posted:

The fluff section of the latest rulebook. In my experience there aren't many wikis that actually have a good level of information.

The summary is though as described. Abaddon blew up Cadia, the warp tore the galaxy in half, and the Astronimicon blinked out for decades. Girlyman was brought back from near death. Half of the Imperium is basically the thunderdome with daemons. Girlyman launched a crusade to take it back, but put Dante in charge of the hosed up half of the imperium (lol).

The Primaris marines were a secret project worked on since Girlyman was last alive. They are Space Marines 2.0 with equipment to match.

Theres loads more to this of course but you basically have to read a whole bunch of stuff as there's no single great online summary I've seen.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
There are also a lot of YouTube channels that summarise some of the cooler bits of lore. I've been listening to some while painting or supposedly working.

ABorder Prince does readings of newer lore (I've heard a short story about Cawl/Primaris that was cool, and Blackstone Fortress/the Man of Iron).

Also Wolf Lord Rho is easy listening bordering on ASMR readings of heresy stuff, in particular primarchs, plus some newer stuff too around Guilliman.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
great thanks. sorry for asking so many dumb new questions. still waiting for my rulebooks to show up.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SteelMentor posted:

On top of some chapters and factions of the Imperium just straight up not trusting them.

In my custom chapter the Primaris marines get shoved into lockers and are given swirlies on a regular basis.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How well do weathering pencils work?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

sneakyfrog posted:

great thanks. sorry for asking so many dumb new questions. still waiting for my rulebooks to show up.

No need to apologise, I last played in like 2014 and it was a huge change lore wise for me too.

Frankly though a lot has changed without much changing, if you get me.

Primaris marines are just marines on steroids, the galaxy is still at war, the imperium on the verge of collapse/victory.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Also since you're a Space Marine player it's worth mentioning that Primaris marines can't ride in any normal marine transports, and the special Primaris transports are like 60 dollars minimum. It makes me way more mad than it should lol

I'm honestly considering trying to convert a 1/48 M2 Bradley since they have roughly the same profile and measurements.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh i have like close to 20k of old points. 2 wounds isnt the biggest deal in the universe

if any one knows can dark angels still do all deathwing or all ravenwing anymore?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

sneakyfrog posted:

eh i have like close to 20k of old points. 2 wounds isnt the biggest deal in the universe

if any one knows can dark angels still do all deathwing or all ravenwing anymore?

Yup, you can via the Detachments system. So for all Deathwing you'd go Vanguard for the extra Elite slots and for Ravenwing Outrider for the Fast Attack slots.

Generally this will leave you with fewer Command Points than doing the standard 2 HQ, 3 Troops minimum thing tho.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

PinheadSlim posted:

Also since you're a Space Marine player it's worth mentioning that Primaris marines can't ride in any normal marine transports, and the special Primaris transports are like 60 dollars minimum. It makes me way more mad than it should lol

I'm honestly considering trying to convert a 1/48 M2 Bradley since they have roughly the same profile and measurements.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be made at them introducing a new line of marines that just are slightly bigger and look a bit more modern and then rinse you on transports for them.

sneakyfrog posted:

Basically in this edition you "can" field practically any thing. An Imperial guard player "can" field nothing but leman russes and tank commanders. Space Marines "can" field nothing but terminators.

The question is usually whether you "should". So at 2000 points, the new "standard" tournament points value, most armies want to try and get at least two battalions to get 13 command points to spend on stratagems. You could field three Vanguard detachments of just terminators, but then you'll only have 6 CP.

How good Ravenguard and Deathwing are etc I don't know personally, but I'm sure someone's written a bunch of stuff online about it. If you don't care about being super competitive, the short answer is "yes".

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

But there's nothing stopping you from tacking on a Loyal 32 (ie 2 company commanders, 30 guardsmen) to literally any Imperium list for dirt-cheap 5 CP and screening/objective holding. I mean, guardboyz are 4 points a model, company commanders are 30 points; about 180-200 points overall, that's about as much as, say, a squad of Primaris Hellblasters. Plus, opens you up to bringing a few mortar teams with their 48" indirect fire mortars, something like 33 points for three of them. Guardboyz are pretty easy to do with contrast paints too especially if you don't care about going too into the details.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 21, 2020

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh cool sweet.

never really cared about the meta just always fielded weird poo poo like a hyperios or a damocles just to be weird

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

But there's nothing stopping you from tacking on a Loyal 32 (ie 2 company commanders, 30 guardsmen) to literally any Imperium list for dirt-cheap 5 CP and screening/objective holding. I mean, guardboyz are 4 points a model, company commanders are 30 points; about 180-200 points overall, that's about as much as, say, a squad of Primaris Hellblasters. Plus, opens you up to bringing a few mortar teams with their 48" indirect fire mortars, something like 33 points for three of them. Guardboyz are pretty easy to do with contrast paints too especially if you don't care about going too into the details.

Doesn't that mean you'd lose access to a bunch of space marine rules though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i do have a baneblade and a few imp guard command squads so please tell me more