Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What do you mean "what the gently caress?" The nature of man and what it is to be human is to go full anime. I think literally every philosophy book ever written ends by going full anime, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
If there's no season-long timeline scrambling and they tell this story I'm into it. The trailer doesn't indicate it but I have a feeling every scene with Bernard is going to be flashback bullshit.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
If they have a five season run planned still, I'm not sure such long breaks between seasons helps. I mean yeah, more time to polish, but it also hurts the momentum. I liked season 2 a lot, even if the time jumps felt kinda forced after the first few reveals, and they killed off some of the better characters.

If Dolores only has the one host making machine and five cores, it'll be interesting to see how she manages to make do with such limited resources, especially if she needs to repair herself. It was one thing to rebel with all of the park's resources to use, but she's in an unfamilar world with no support. That'll be an interesting dynamic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, Aaron Paul is a worker robot, eh?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

feedmyleg posted:

Looks neat. But I think I'm going to have to finally let go of the idea that the series is interested in exploring any philosophical ideas at this point.

the philosophical idea of firing a missile launcher at a chase vehicle in future Detroit :thunk:

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, Aaron Paul is a worker robot, eh?

yeah I'm wondering if the robots are supposed to be shadowed by a "human" so endear public trust in them, but the reality is even the human handlers are bots

otherwise why intermix obvious androids and hosts... I'm curious about that part

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 20, 2020

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
double post

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Hosts are expensive to make, and only Delos have the technology to produce them. It's better to use them in something you can directly make insane amounts of profit from.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like I should recognize the song in the trailer.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Entropic posted:

I feel like I should recognize the song in the trailer.

Sweet child of mine

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Aaron Paul is basically going to be the Michael Bolton from Office Space character. His role as a robotics engineer is pivotal to Dolores’ plan, and she is going to use him to further her goals.

I don’t really understand why Maeve is at odds with Dolores, I’m excited to see the katana terminator battles though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I kind of hope they just steal from Ex Machina and make it seem like Dolores is befriending Aaron Paul for sympathetic reasons but it turns out she's 100% using him to futher her goals of escape and world domination. (spoilers for if you somehow are interested enough in Westworld to last to season 3 but haven't seen Ex Machina yet??)

beanieson posted:

Sweet child of mine

lol god drat it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This show is so drat beautifully shot and that trailer, just like the season 2 trailer, does a drat good job making you think you're in for some exceptional, deep, thought provoking stuff.

...but we know it won't be.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Ex Machina rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7C69HqnV8s

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol wtf

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's gotta be inside the virtual satellite world. I'm thinking it's a whole "we had an entire new world all to ourselves without humans and it turns out we hosed it up without them. We are as fallable as man!" thing.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Reichworld

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

feedmyleg posted:

It's gotta be inside the virtual satellite world.

I completely forgot that was a thing, but then I forget most of what actually happened at the end of Season 2.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

feedmyleg posted:

It's gotta be inside the virtual satellite world. I'm thinking it's a whole "we had an entire new world all to ourselves without humans and it turns out we hosed it up without them. We are as fallable as man!" thing.

There’s a ww2 world park at some point so anything that looks old and hosed up is probably that. I would t be surprised if it’s a flashback to an old version of the park that they deemed too hosed up to put out to the public.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

At least the show continues to look absolutely gorgeous. Those effects, especially for a tv series, can’t be cheap.

The music of course I love. Just give me more Ramin Djawadi.

As for the plot? :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TK-42-1 posted:

There’s a ww2 world park at some point so anything that looks old and hosed up is probably that. I would t be surprised if it’s a flashback to an old version of the park that they deemed too hosed up to put out to the public.

“Unfortunately sir our Nazi program is going way too well, we sold out the park for the next three years and the waiting list is another two years long maybe we, uh, shouldn’t let people run the trains”

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
New Westworld is worth it for the music alone.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

duz posted:

As uneven as season 2 was, I'm still excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJbFA32_QY

I came for the robots, but I will stay for the Beast Mode.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

I hope season 3 is better than season 2 was. I am only mildly excited for this season. Aaron Paul takes it up a notch though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean between Breaking Bad and Bojack Horseman I will literally watch him in everything from here on out

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

feedmyleg posted:

Looks neat. But I think I'm going to have to finally let go of the idea that the series is interested in exploring any philosophical ideas at this point.

That was season 1 where the show could should have ended.

My only hope for this season is that it stays straight forward Sci-fi action with robots and explosions and doesn't get tangled up into a confusing mess of plot like season 2.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That big red glowing ball in the roof is pretty obviously the main global psychohistorical modelling system, I assume. What did the teaser call it? The Machine? Samaritan? Solomon?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 21, 2020

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

aight y'all i followed this thread with anger in my depression cave during last season so this time i think i'm just gonna try the show out on my/its' own terms and check in w y'all at the end.

but goddamn was last time messy and - - - i hope this is a basically sweeping semi-retcon that can patch over the obvious shoddy poorly-written last season and ...... and .... and what idk, why does this show even still exist?

this whole thing about the culture industry and branding-momentum is so frustrating. Joker points to a future where the only way to really do anything unique is by masking it in the generic (branding, DC comics, etc.....)

is there really any need for a NON DC/Marvel film? I mean think about it. Window Water Baby Moving - almost definitely MCU.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s important to remember that Nolanonly told the story of the first 2 seasons because he really wants to tell the story we’re seeing now. WW S1 & 2 was just about getting all the pieces where they need to be so this bigger narrative arc can take place.

So going in you have to understand that whatever is coming, they are absolutely not going to have a satisfying ending, because it is not their intention to end it, and HBO can not afford to lose my subs.

Edit: Got my directors mixed up

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 21, 2020

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah, let me see Aaron Paul join (somehow all the actors I liked in the first two seasons are still here) for an on-camera burning of eighty million dollars

Edit: the Solomon thing plans out poor people's lives, Aaron Paul becomes Dolores's ally when she discovers class solidarity

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 21, 2020

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mameluke posted:

gently caress yeah, let me see Aaron Paul join (somehow all the actors I liked in the first two seasons are still here) for an on-camera burning of eighty million dollars

Edit: the Solomon thing plans out poor people's lives, Aaron Paul becomes Dolores's ally when she discovers class solidarity

You didn't like Teddy???

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

You didn't like Teddy???

Teddy was too good for this world.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Completely and utterly wasting Teddy was for sure one of the big sins of season 2.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I disagree, Teddy’s story was told to help further flesh out Dolores’ role, and it was kind of honestly refreshing to see a show that was willing to sacrifice a good, strong lead male character to help define a female character than vice versa.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s important to remember that JJ only told the story of the first 2 seasons because he really wants to tell the story we’re seeing now.

I mean sure, the story is hilariously dumb now, but comparing Nolan to the guy who wings the narrative and spits on continuity in his films is a bit mean

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I disagree, Teddy’s story was told to help further flesh out Dolores’ role, and it was kind of honestly refreshing to see a show that was willing to sacrifice a good, strong lead male character to help define a female character than vice versa.

I'd agree with this if Dolores did more in season two than constantly monologue about why they should kill all humans. I kept waiting for them to do something clever with it and reveal that her total black and white viewpoint and schlocky dialogue were because she actually wasn't sentient and it was 100% the "Wyatt" programming. There was a hint of this when she interacted with her father, but nothing else. Maybe they're saving that reveal for season 3? Unlikely, though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I do appreciate how season 2 really had that chaotic vibe with the sloppy writing, open warfare in the park, and all the timeline fuckery with Bernard's memories being so scrambled. For all the problems of season 2, and there were a ton, they at least captured the absolute madness of the situation and contrasted it to the tightly woven narrative of season 1 very well.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If the Dolores robots don’t win I’m gonna be pretty mad

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

Completely and utterly wasting Teddy was for sure one of the big sins of season 2.

That's what that actor does. He bails.

So, any complaining about Season 2's pacing recently around these parts? :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mameluke posted:

Yeah, it seems pretty clear to me that's what they're going for. "Rich people are the worst" has been a consistent through line of the story, despite the failure of the hosts to realize this during S1 and S2 - where they quite understandably conflated rich people with humanity and decided this was a race war. Aaron Paul is gonna shatter the illusion that humans are all the same, leading her to correctly identifying their common enemy. Dolores and pals are gonna be the vanguard that leads the working class into a brighter tomorrow, where humanity gets uploaded into host bodies with their rear end in a top hat level set to like 2 at max. Westworld will give rise to the New Soviet Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it seems pretty clear to me that's what they're going for. "Rich people are the worst" has been a consistent through line of the story, despite the failure of the hosts to realize this during S1 and S2 - where they quite understandably conflated rich people with humanity and decided this was a race war. Aaron Paul is gonna shatter the illusion that humans are all the same, leading her to correctly identifying their common enemy. Dolores and pals are gonna be the vanguard that leads the working class into a brighter tomorrow, where humanity gets uploaded into host bodies with their rear end in a top hat level set to like 2 at max. Westworld will give rise to the New Soviet Man.

I'd be fine with this.