Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hmmm, they referred to Metroidvania as "Search Action" games.... hmmm...
yeah that'll catch on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Geomancing posted:

Team Ladybug, the folks who made that metroidvania Touhou: Luna Nights, are working on a Castlevania: SotN clone based on, of all things, 90s anime Record of Lodoss War.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/tea...am-early-access

It's going up for early access on Steam on March 12th for ~$12 US, and is blatantly a ripoff but looks pretty sweet. I never played Luna Nights but the speedrun I saw at GDQ looked pretty clean and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdmKbXx6gtU

It looks like it controls fluid enough, so gently caress it, I'm down.

I have a buddy who's into jets in a big way. He's in his late thirties and still in CAP, mostly because he couldn't join the USAF due to medical issues. He's the target audience for AC7, and would know if the wing of an obscure aircraft in it was just a few feet too long. Consequently, he's loving wild for the AC games.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Star Wars is on sale for I think $45... Is it good or worth it at that price?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Disney probably paid a lot more for the franchise so this seems like a bargain

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hmmm, they referred to Metroidvania as "Search Action" games.... hmmm...

That's what they're called in Japan.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Fallen Order?

The combat didn’t feel very polished but I’d say it’s worth 45. I enjoyed it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1230658399865647104

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

How many teef?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Besieged JUST came out of Early Access. Sheesh!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Search Action is a better name than Metroidvania. There's like a whole generation of gamers that have never played Metroid or Castlevania.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

:orks: We'z gonna show dem Band-Eye Nam-Ko gitz wat real Ace Kombat iz! WAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe Hidden Object Game.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Scalding Coffee posted:

Maybe Hidden Object Game.

Hmm. Seems quite fitting.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

:orks: We'z gonna show dem Band-Eye Nam-Ko gitz wat real Ace Kombat iz! WAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!

seriously that was a weird coincidence

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
what about "upgradventure"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cowcaster posted:

seriously that was a weird coincidence

Had there not been talk about Ace Combat on the previous page, it would have been a Jane's Combat Simulations joke.

I actually haven't played any of the Ace Combat games, but those AC7 gifs make it look pretty cool. Is it real difficult?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I actually haven't played any of the Ace Combat games, but those AC7 gifs make it look pretty cool. Is it real difficult?

Nah, it's pretty arcadey. Very fun, but it's not DCS or IL-2 or anything, in terms of sim-ness.
Also, I'd advise against using a joystick, if that's your plan - since the game wasn't really designed with that in mind, and was a pain trying to get it to work with mine. In the end I bought a controller and had a blast with it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i did not want to like star fetchers because i heard about from a) a yahtzee video where b) he slagged on my special favorite kentucky route zero, but the prologue is free and it kind of owns a whole lot

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

God I am so beyond ready for this.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Geomancing posted:

Team Ladybug, the folks who made that metroidvania Touhou: Luna Nights, are working on a Castlevania: SotN clone based on, of all things, 90s anime Record of Lodoss War.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/tea...am-early-access

It's going up for early access on Steam on March 12th for ~$12 US, and is blatantly a ripoff but looks pretty sweet. I never played Luna Nights but the speedrun I saw at GDQ looked pretty clean and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdmKbXx6gtU

Speaking as someone who knows jack poo poo about the source material, Luna Nights is super super cool. A little short and linear but the encounter design and bossfights are first class, with some creative unique mechanics and no filler. Great little game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Maybe it's just me, but the room design feels a little... "boring"? Maybe it's because every room is either one screen wide and vertical, or one screen tall and horizontal. And there's lots of symmetry which adds to that effect.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Luna Nights definitely benefits from being fairly short, but what's there is good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My youtube feed's lit up with videos for a Satisfactory update.Wonder how complete a game it is at this point

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Memnaelar posted:

Hello, I would be liking opinions on very much my jam Junji Ito World of Horror game from those who have played please and thank you.

I watched a stream for a couple hours and it looked insanely cool for a Junji Ito/Lovecraft crossover type game, tons of Ito style body horror so far. Art looks amazing and was apparently made by one guy using mspaint (holy gently caress)

No idea how it's like to play, but I've heard there's a free demo

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ciaphas posted:

My youtube feed's lit up with videos for a Satisfactory update.Wonder how complete a game it is at this point

There's no plot related stuff in the game at all at the moment, so you're just building for building's sake. There's no end goal like the rocket in Factorio either, though I guess "getting to nuclear power" might be one such goal.

At the moment, I'd suggest waiting at least for the game to arrive on Steam, unless you are really horny for building factories. It might take two months or so until it arrives there, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Memnaelar posted:

Hello, I would be liking opinions on very much my jam Junji Ito World of Horror game from those who have played please and thank you.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

World of Horror - excuse me, WORLD OF HORROR - is now on early access on Steam and I think it's quite decent already. It also has permadeath, which makes it clearly a roguelite. :v:

Black and white cosmic horror adventure-ish game with simple turn-based combat. You have to solve a randomized selection of horror mysteries to get to the endgame and, presumably, prevent an (also variable) elder god from returning to the world. The art's pretty nifty and there's at least enough content so far I haven't had a lot of repetition yet. Still EA though, so there's probably an awful lot of content yet to be added.

it's also been in development for a while, here's an RPS article from three years ago

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/01/13/world-of-horror-inspired-by-junji-tio/

combat's gotten substantially more involved and interesting since then, for one thing

more recent article: https://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-horror-a-creepy-1-bit-style-horror-rpg-will-release-next-month/

apparently only ten mysteries in so far, darn

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Geomancing posted:

How was their previous game? I'm not as familiar with Metroidvanias as I'd like, but I do love Record of Lodoss War.

Looking forward to World of Horror too. I dig Junji Ito, and from the videos I've watched it looks interesting.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
World of Horror seems pretty neat but it likes to crash on me a lot and the game doesn't have any sort of autosave, or any save if you're me. I know there's supposed to be a button to save and exit so you can pickup a run later but it just isn't there for me. This is the gamepass version though, maybe the Steam version is fine.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

dudeness posted:

World of Horror seems pretty neat but it likes to crash on me a lot and the game doesn't have any sort of autosave, or any save if you're me. I know there's supposed to be a button to save and exit so you can pickup a run later but it just isn't there for me. This is the gamepass version though, maybe the Steam version is fine.

Oh poo poo, it's on game pass? Hell yeah.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Just did World of Horror's first beginner mystery (15 min run). No crashes on that one. This game is rad. And immediately gross/unsettling. This game was made for me.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Max Wilco posted:

Had there not been talk about Ace Combat on the previous page, it would have been a Jane's Combat Simulations joke.

If you wanna know what Ace Combat is like, grab the free prototype demo of Project Wingman. It's literally Ace Combat but prettier. But without the "give the military industrial complex money to use their planes". That they probably don't even need to - if gun names and appearance falls under fair use, and it does, so do plane names and appearances.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Cowcaster posted:

i think the one time i poked my head into this forum's proper ace combat thread there was a guy in there extolling the virtues of the f-35 supergrover which is definitely NOT a trillion dollar piece of worthless poo poo that can't fly in the rain and DEFINITELY does not reboot all its computer systems when crossing the international date line and CERTAINLY isn't glued together with epoxy that disintegrates under normal operating strain and temperatures and ABSOLUTELY does not suffocate pilots when it feels like it, and all of the above is just what MISINFORMED LIBERAL NAYSAYERS opposed to MILITARY SUPERIORITY claim are problems, is all you need to know

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Navaash fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 21, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Samuringa posted:

That's what they're called in Japan.

Yeah I haven't heard that specific term I don't think, but platformers like that are often referred to as just "action games" there so a metroidvania being a "search" action game makes sense.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 21, 2020

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Search Action is a better name than Metroidvania. There's like a whole generation of gamers that have never played Metroid or Castlevania.

How many people have played Rogue?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd rather play some Doom clones

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
MOBA caught on; literally anything is possible when it comes to genre names.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

MOBA caught on; literally anything is possible when it comes to genre names.

Jesus, it did. It's such a bad name too. Even if you don't like Dotalike, Action RTS is right there.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

What is your favorite Soulsbornekiro?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Elman posted:

Jesus, it did. It's such a bad name too. Even if you don't like Dotalike, Action RTS is right there.

Action RTS is when you can be in direct control of units, like Battlezone '98

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Superanos posted:

What is your favorite Soulsbornekiro?

Metroid