Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also because I just typed it out and it keeps annoying me, what is wrong with these people who keep writing "tow the line" do you not understand what the phrase means it means literally the opposite of what spelling it that way implies, and yet people a: use it to mean the opposite and worse, b: use it to mean what "toe the line" means but spell it the other way what the gently caress is wrong with you.

To toe the line means to come close to, but not actually cross, the line of acceptability, to put your toes against it. It does not mean to tether yourself to someone else's position dutifully, as the other spelling would imply. And there can only be conflict between these two interpretations because they are homophones, therefore one must destroy the other and I stan toe. I will not be taking any further questions at this time thank you.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

It does have an extreme “how do you do fellow minorities” energy to it.

My problem with this poo poo is that I don’t know whether or not to trust her on her intentions. I can sympathise with coming across badly when trying to be a good ally, I panic about doing that all the time because of my terminal white-cis-straightness so her clowning up there with the rainbow suspenders on and saying what she’s saying is either her living my nightmare and I feel awful for her because she just means well, or she’s absolutely loving it up because she doesn’t give a poo poo and thinks it’s some easy votes to grab. Sometimes it’s really easy for one of those things to appear like the other, and I don’t know her well enough to know which it is here.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

forkboy84 posted:

I like that in your desperation to take a poo poo on the Nats you overlook the positive step of giving the vote to refugees at least.

Yes, I enjoy pointing out the centrist actions of the centrist party for being intensely centrist. They could have done the right thing and they hosed it.

I thought we were all about calling out shite from parties that were supposed to be bastions of the left, or does that only apply to labour now?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

it does seem slightly... off combined with explicitly saying that being LGBT has nothing to do with who you have sex with. Which... OK again yes I sort of see where you're going but on the other hand literally no it has quite a lot to do with that.
I guess it's a counterbalance against the people who are absolutely obsessed with who single mums and LGBT people are having sex with and no other part of their lived existence.

Like the Freep types who know absolutely nothing about gay men other than "they have sex in the butt, probably in bath houses" but know so obsessively much about that one bit that they could be 80s gay erotica historians if they could get over their hate.

OwlFancier posted:

Also because I just typed it out and it keeps annoying me, what is wrong with these people who keep writing "tow the line" do you not understand what the phrase means it means literally the opposite of what spelling it that way implies, and yet people a: use it to mean the opposite and worse, b: use it to mean what "toe the line" means but spell it the other way what the gently caress is wrong with you.

To toe the line means to come close to, but not actually cross, the line of acceptability, to put your toes against it. It does not mean to tether yourself to someone else's position dutifully, as the other spelling would imply. And there can only be conflict between these two interpretations because they are homophones, therefore one must destroy the other and I stan toe. I will not be taking any further questions at this time thank you.
For all intensive purposes they both pass mustard.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aramoro posted:

Which is a Green Party proposal so lets all continue to poo poo on the Nats.

Like the Scottish Government is going to give me a massive interest free loan to do unnecessary work to my home but still approved new peat extraction just up the road from me. There's a joined up environmental policy right there.

The Scottish Government paid for my parents to do entirely necessary work on their house to improve its insulation & it's loving ace. They are already using less oil. I will defend that one, it's a positive thing on stuff like their house which was built in the 30 when apparently they just built houses with lots of holes just in case you'd suffocate without them.

There's plenty hosed up about the Nats environmental policy though, you're right. And an utter refusal to even consider that the Scottish oil industry isn't actually a good thing is a peak SNP policy despite the whole climate crisis thing.

Greens remain very good though. More people should vote for the Greens.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

Are you suggesting we give them free reign?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Exactly. Is it free rain chicken or free reign chicken?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1230601717189926923?s=20

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The Scottish Government paid for my parents to do entirely necessary work on their house to improve its insulation & it's loving ace. They are already using less oil. I will defend that one, it's a positive thing on stuff like their house which was built in the 30 when apparently they just built houses with lots of holes just in case you'd suffocate without them.

Our house was built about 1900 so not great insulation wise and using less oil is also something we want to do so looking at getting an air source heat pump and redoing our sash windows, so they'll lend us £15K interest free to do that but only based on my income. Which is great for us, we don't need to save up the money for it. There's also the cashback scheme whereby you borrow £10K and only repay £7500, but again eligibility is based on income. It's very much a middle class benefit like the Cycle to Work Scheme where the more you earn the more you save.

There's also the fact these loans do not payout until after the work in completed which means small companies cannot take them for payment generally. Just a little gently caress you to small companies there.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I feel seen

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Air source heat pumps are ridiculously expensive compared to air conditioners and it's wild.

Like a heat pump split air conditioner, that will do warm air in winter using the same heat pump tech, and also do cold air in summer, is about £700 + fitting for a similar capacity to an air source heat pump that does hot water and that's it, that costs upwards of £5k + fitting.

I guess it's partly economy of scale, but also partly because to make hot water for heating you've got to make it hot hot, like upwards of 70C, whereas to just use hot air directly for heating then 30-40C is fine to get a room up to 21C quickly, so you can get away with much more off-the-shelf compressors and refrigerants.

Of course, the residents of this isle are allergic to forced air or indoor unit heating, so big whirly water heaters with grants it is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Air source heat pumps are ridiculously expensive compared to air conditioners and it's wild.

Like a heat pump split air conditioner, that will do warm air in winter using the same heat pump tech, and also do cold air in summer, is about £700 + fitting for a similar capacity to an air source heat pump that does hot water and that's it, that costs upwards of £5k + fitting.

I guess it's partly economy of scale, but also partly because to make hot water for heating you've got to make it hot hot, like upwards of 70C, whereas to just use hot air directly for heating then 30-40C is fine to get a room up to 21C quickly, so you can get away with much more off-the-shelf compressors and refrigerants.

Of course, the residents of this isle are allergic to forced air or indoor unit heating, so big whirly water heaters with grants it is.

District heating with CHAP should be compulsory (and living at too low a density for district heating to be efficient should be forbidden).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The real flex was the simple black tee with the rolled up sleeves, the braces were just the exclamation point

Is it not just Doctor Who cosplay?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Guavanaut posted:

Oh dear me posted:

Are you suggesting we give them free reign?

I'd kill the both of you but I need to keep these knives sharp for people who confuse "discrete" for "discreet".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'd kill the both of you but I need to keep these knives sharp for people who confuse "discrete" for "discreet".

Here here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

There, their, they're - it's all right.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Are you going to kill them discretely?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lmao

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

gently caress

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Private Speech posted:

This is even more obvious with todays London Mosque stabbing. A white young guy stabbing the muezzin during prayer hard to see any possibility of a terror attack. I'm not saying it is, necessarily, but if that was a young Muslim stabbing churchgoers in a prominent church during prayer I'm sure the media would have been just as restrained.

Except it by definition IS a terrorist attack. He didn't target an individual he knew or resented personally; he targeted someone symbolically to make all Muslims fear for their safety when they go to a Mosque. Just because it's (maybe) one lone oval office and not a part of a larger organised group doesn't change that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Except it by definition IS a terrorist attack. He didn't target an individual he knew or resented personally; he targeted someone symbolically to make all Muslims fear for their safety when they go to a Mosque. Just because it's (maybe) one lone oval office and not a part of a larger organised group doesn't change that.

It's like saying Timothy McVeigh wasn't a terrorist.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Air source heat pumps in an Air-Water system still only heat the water up to 50-55c. You're not getting 70c out of a heat pump anytime soon. They also cost more like £10K now but we're hoping to get in on a scheme that might drop it to £8K.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord of the Llamas posted:

It seems like the guy may have previously been a regular at the mosque which changes the equation somewhat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

Air source heat pumps in an Air-Water system still only heat the water up to 50-55c. You're not getting 70c out of a heat pump anytime soon. They also cost more like £10K now but we're hoping to get in on a scheme that might drop it to £8K.
I've seen smaller ones that are about the power capacity of a typical domestic air conditioner external unit for around £5-6k, I guess they're just for doing your shower and hot water, but yeah, ones that replace a whole boiler are even sillier prices at the moment, and if even those are only putting out 50-55C then that's alright for doing the dishes but it's going to mean serious reduction in heat output from your radiators.

Unless you have an active forced air radiator like

that can really pull heat out of the water, but they're not the cheapest things.

And at that point you've just built a split HVAC system but with more work and a bunch of extra plumbing and hot water everywhere :confuoot:

Carbon negative charcoal for rural folk, district hot water with CHAP for city folk, and losing the attachment to radiators for the folk in the middle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just throw more blankets on the nest for preference.

My mum just had her kitchen/living room knocked through to create a giant cavern the entire length of the house, and all on one side.

And then she whinges about the heating bill...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I just write off the entire front room during the worst of winter. Opening the front door lets too much cold air in, so turn the radiator for that room down and use it as an airlock and hide under blankets in the back room.

I'd like a little porch but it faces straight onto the pavement so I imagine the rest of the street wouldn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My nan's old mining cottage solved that by building the porch out of plywood on the inside and jutting about five feet into the living room :v:

Which I guess technically makes it a vestibule in an inverse word/object value ratio.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Just wear 3 layers of clothing and a dressing gown at all times :coffeepal:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

sinky posted:

Just wear 3 layers of clothing and a dressing gown at all times :coffeepal:

People who don't wear a dressing gown constantly at home, I'll never understand

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm considering getting my radiators removed and capped, then getting electrics, because even if, for some bizarre reason I want them all on at once, it wouldn't cost more than firing up the central heating which is a 6kw Ele tric boiler.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Generally only to answer the door, otherwise it's a pile of blankets :v:

One day I'm going to just learn to tie a toga.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Angrymog posted:

I'm considering getting my radiators removed and capped, then getting electrics, because even if, for some bizarre reason I want them all on at once, it wouldn't cost more than firing up the central heating which is a 6kw Ele tric boiler.

Yeah my central heating has been ropey this winter and its amazing how much you save just using a gas fire in one room, think i went from about 2 quid of gas a day down to like 60p

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Underpants and socks only here.
Dressing gowns are for when company is over.

Back in my student days a flat mate would go about the house in his dressing gown.
There were a lot of accidental penis appearances that we banned him from coming down stairs in it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oh god a dressing gown is not a kilt you wear underpants with one!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Get a load of mr sweaty bollocks over here

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Lunchtime reading. Google are stealing all your data out from under GDPR because of Brexit. Because of cause they loving are.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/20/google_shifting_uk_data_to_us/

Also, ACAB and the met are now actively deploying facial recognition tech.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/20/met_police_facial_recognition/

At least your dreams are still unsurveilled I guess. For now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RockyB posted:

At least your dreams are still unsurveilled I guess. For now.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Oh and here's the triple:

quote:

Environmental and animal rights activists have been referred to the government’s controversial anti-radicalisation programme, the Home Office has admitted.

Responding to a freedom of information request, the Home Office provided a breakdown of reasons behind referrals of individuals to its Channel programme, an arm of Prevent, for “other types of radicalisation.’’

Environmental and animal rights were among types of “concerns” identified among individuals referred, as well far-left extremism, Northern Ireland-related extremism, “anti-Isil” and Sikh-related extremism.

Commenting on the inclusion of environmental and animal rights activism, Rosalind Comyn, Liberty policy and campaigns officer, said: “This reinforces long-held concerns that the government’s staggeringly broad definition of extremism enables the police to characterise non-violent political activity as a threat, and monitor and control any community they wish.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/21/prevent-environment-animal-activists-referred-extremism

Haha it's fine it's not like Extinction Rebellion has given the police thousands of photographs of protestors to feed into their new facial recognition system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If I wanted to encase my nethers in a prison of cloth I would have kept my trousers on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I got this leaflet through the mail

Except the pages turn kinda funn...

My god

he looks like Samwise if he took the ring and went dark.