Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Edit: I forgot Petry. He's good. Montreal shouldn't trade him unless they're getting a great return.

As long as Boston still plays them 4+ times a season, Montreal should never trade Petry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1230909971342274571

tampa-boston gonna be legit

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Contract the Ducks

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

gently caress man Kase rules

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1230912353040060417

The prospect is Axel Andersson, a 2018 2nd rounder who is pulling a .5 PPG as a 20 year old in the Q. So not exactly A level probably.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

He makes only 2.6m next year though, so the return could be pretty nice for Anaheim

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hmm weird, I guess Anaheim is ready to rebuild completely. That trade seems like "help Boston 101" though wtf

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
gently caress off Anaheim. I call shenanigans! Kase is basically the one good player Anaheim has. Trading him now is so loving stupid.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

gently caress off Anaheim. I call shenanigans! Kase is basically the one good player Anaheim has. Trading him now is so loving stupid.

this is hampus lindholm erasure

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Brooks saying Rangers are prioritizing signing Kreiderand trading other assets (Strome/Georgiev/maybe a D like Skjei)

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
That seems like a really good 1st and a cap dump trade, makes the 1st and Marleau for a 6th look pretty weak by comparison

Backes had decent fancies this year for Boston though

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

fawning deference posted:

Brooks saying Rangers are prioritizing signing Kreiderand trading other assets (Strome/Georgiev/maybe a D like Skjei)

Maybe a leverage play to get interested teams to up their offers?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That trade sucks for the Ducks, how is taking on a giant bad contract and giving up a decent middle six guy only worth a late first?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

fawning deference posted:

If this is true and not a move it's beyond stupid and I'll officially be on the Fire Gorton train.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

If this is true and not a move it's beyond stupid and I'll officially be on the Fire Gorton train.

I hope it's a move, but I don't really know what to do with him at this point. The market keeps shrinking now that Boston and Pittsburgh no longer have their firsts to trade. I don't want to get stuck in a 7x7 contract with CK just because the trade return was underwhelming.....but I also don't want the trade return to be underwhelming.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1230929281573892096

dang, bruins might actually have 2 full lines

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hope it's a move, but I don't really know what to do with him at this point. The market keeps shrinking now that Boston and Pittsburgh no longer have their firsts to trade. I don't want to get stuck in a 7x7 contract with CK just because the trade return was underwhelming.....but I also don't want the trade return to be underwhelming.

The thing is...most rentals return pretty mediocre stuff. A really late first round pick and a B prospect. I'm less concerned about "oh no the Rangers didn't get assets!" and more about where this affects their lineup going forward with giving a 29 year old a hefty contract.

That said...the thing with Kreider is that if the Rangers think they've turned the corner a bit as a team and that will carry into next season and they'll be pushing to be contenders in 2 years, having a player like Kreider regardless of age isn't a bad thing. He's taken on a bit leadership role with the team in recent years that extends to offseason and off ice training as he is a fitness and training freak who has extended those habits to other players/rookies/etc. Keeping him helps provide some stability if the team thinks they're on an upswing and will be competitive soon rather than going through another up and down of roster churn and trying to get things back to baseline again.

But obviously that's a big drat gamble as to the state of the team and their abilities. The other part to it is that in a general sense they're running out of guys to flip for assets...there aren't that many vets left on the team, so the time to start transitioning to competitiveness is either now or soon. So...you gotta decide...

Again, I'm less concerned about the "lost" assets from not trading him as it's likely a bleh pick and a bleh prospect, but if it causes a cap crunch down the road and issues with signing other guys who need it, then that's a problem. But they also have a bunch of cap space coming off the books if they can make it through next season.

e: as I've said before I'm really less concerned about Kreider's aging and production. I don't think his speed is going to completely disappear even as he ages and he has other skills that will make him useful, it's more the cap space and term that present possible barriers in the future.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1230912353040060417

The prospect is Axel Andersson, a 2018 2nd rounder who is pulling a .5 PPG as a 20 year old in the Q. So not exactly A level probably.

Man, that's a bad deal by the Ducks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

OldSenileGuy posted:

Just keeping him and letting him walk this summer is an option.

They’re not totally out of the playoff question yet, so if they can’t get a decent return they can stand pat.

I assume the Ducks are doing the Bruins a solid with some understanding of a favor being owed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1230949251426988035

E: DAMMIT DREGS

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1230952233803579393

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 21, 2020

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

What the gently caress

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Haha that was great

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Columbus feels like they are in a weird spot at the deadline. Half their roster is injured and their best player is out until at least the playoffs and (imo) are probably a bit lucky to have the points they have from riding hot goalies earlier in the year. They are obviously still in the race for at least a WC spot but I don't many would say they are better than the teams around them in the standings. They look like a bottom 10 team in terms of who they have healthy on the ice right now but also have a really aggressive front office so I sort of expect they to start gobbling up players again.

If Merzlikins doesn't find himself (in a BIG way) in the first game after Korpi goes down, this season is a tire fire at this point. As for more :words::

They also gave up a TON of assets last year and lost Panarin. No expiring UFAs this year and they gain another 1.4mil in cap when Fedor Tyutin expires this offseason. If I'm CBJ I stand pat. See what happens and take a run at Taylor Hall in the offseason.

DJExile posted:

Jackets have a ton of cap space so they could take some runs if they really wanted, but yeah I feel like they're just gonna ride this year out at this point.

E: jesus christ, $30mil on IR :psyduck:

Bjorkstrand-Texier-Atkinson
Jones-Murray
Korpisalo

Dubinsky-Wennberg-Anderson
Kukan-

...are units/lines you could make from players on IR right now.

The feeling before Jones went down was they'd flip a defenseman (e- Murray, Savard, maybe Nutivaara) for some scoring help with term but, I mean... ^that^ is a slight problem. I could see Jarmo making a move for scoring help which is going to be around into the future as opposed to just a rental, but nothing spectacular. It's intriguing. I've wondered if Anderson might get flipped for another RFA (Athanasiou?).

It's true they have no UFAs, but several noteworthy RFAs (PLD, Gavrikov, Anderson, all three goalies) which will eat into the cap space a bit.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 21, 2020

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1230978332944105479?s=19

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1230979715294531584?s=19

Seems like not much for a half decent player

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I thought Eakin might move. He's had a really down year and the team has too much forward depth to keep him around. This frees up some cap space to go after another decent D

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I guess Vegas really needs the cap space.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Kilza posted:

I guess Vegas really needs the cap space.

He's having a really bad year:

Last season: 78 GP, 22 G, 19 A
This season: 41 GP, 4 G, 10 A

He's got way fewer shots, his show % is below career average (last year was way high), and yeah, they need to use the cap space for someone who helps out more. They have plenty of forwards (Cody Glass has nearly the same contribution for less money) and need either a much better backup, or another decent puck moving defenseman for depth.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Just when he thought he was out, Winnipeg pulled him back in

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Eakin and Glass are basically the same player this year and Glass has better shot creation and zone exit/entry stats. Part of it is Tuch coming back to earth too and also not playing 30% of his time with Patches this year.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

With obvious sellers out of the way lets dive into bubble teams. Despite being not great Minny is still in with a chance of the WC2. Nashville has a better shot at it though. Arizona is done. They just don't know it yet. 2 points behind Van but 4 more GP and only 3 and 5 pt ahead of Minny/Nash with 5 more GP. Winnipeg picked up DeMelo who is an excellent acquisition especially with how poor they are on the back end. Might be enough to get them into the playoffs and with their front end talent and starting goaltending it could be enough. Florida needs goaltending. They have needed goaltending all year. They have 4 days to either get a goalie or sell. Doing nothing would be the worst possible decision so let's assume they do that.

Arizona – This wasn't our year? Dammit!
Arizona has been bold. They've had great goaltending. They added top end talent in Phil Kessel and later Taylor Hall. They are going to miss. They should sell, but who knows if they actually do.
Phil Kessel – Fell off a cliff. Lowest /60 stats of his whole career and it isn't even close. On track for 1/pt per 60 generating 6.74 shots/60 and his lowest chance creation ever. Hard to say if this is because of the drop in talent he was playing with in Pitt, but sorting by season it really looks like it's age. RIP hotdog man :(
Taylor Hall – The huge question for me with Arizona is if they move Taylor Hall again. If they miss well they have the #1 talisman to test whether or not Hall really will bring that first pick. On the other hand losing your first and Hall going to UFA basically tops off the poo poo cake with a diarrhea icing. Stuck perpetually in 'Not quite good enough' territory.
UFA – Soderberg, Hall, Brad Richardson
2 Year – Stepan, Grabner, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, Oesterle, Aaron Ness
Soderberg – Capable 3rd line guy. There are others I've written about already that I like more, but Soderberg has solid numbers on weird Coyotes team. Crouse is an absolute boat anchor on that line.
Stepan – Might be useful. I think he's a bit cooked. Buoyed by the quality of Clayton Keller. If I'm Phoenix I look to move Stepan and fleece someone.
Goligoski – Buoyed by Chychrun. Potentially useful in a very reduced role. Not a 23 minute a guy night despite Arizona's best efforts to push him up there.
Grabner – Lots of defensive minutes and gets killed. If you're looking for a Hagelin like player he isn't it anymore.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Minnesota – Why the hell did you sign Spurgeon to a 7 year deal in his 31st birth year. Holy poo poo is this team mis-managed.
UFA – A Galchenyuk, Miko Koivu,
2 Years – Eric Staal, Marcus Foligno, Jonas Brodin, Greg Pateryn, Brad Hunt
A Galy – Wasn't really given a fair shake in Pittsburgh. Played 25 minutes with Sid and 80 with Geno. Whatever. I like Zucker more anyways for his 2 way game and the offensive output should be about the same. Does he get to a 3rd team though? His numbers in Minnesota look promising so far. 3Pts out with 2 games in hand could be worth it.
Mikko Koivu – Hard to say. Lot of tough games on him. Lower 3rd for shot creation and zone stats on Minnesota. Great high danger splits despite getting 60% d zone starts.
Staal – Another hard to say. Very good zone stats. Solid shot contribution. Sliding downthe xG scale though. Could probably be useful with soft minutes and powerplay time.
Marcus Foligno – Solid depth contributor. Great xG despite a defensive zone split. Drives play. Useful but 2.8mil is a little steep.
Greg Pateryn – Trash. Do not acquire.
Brodin – Big upgrade for a lot of teams. Eats 21 minutes a night and does well with it.
Hunt – Super cheap depth guy. I like him. Won't really move the needle, but a nice to have.

At the end of the day if Minnesota makes a move it's an attempt at the 'win-win' or a move for the future like they did with the Zucker. They still have a chance at the WC2 and if they get the vaguest amount of goaltending they will be right there.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Minnesota – Why the hell did you sign Spurgeon to a 7 year deal in his 31st birth year. Holy poo poo is this team mis-managed.

He got a natural hat trick last night, clearly they know what they're doing!

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1231240456836653059

The Zach Bogosian sweepstakes are heating up

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1231310008094248960

The Tyler Ennis sweepstakes are picking up traction!

e: https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1231314221620744192

Kilza fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 22, 2020

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
the rangers need to trade kreider if only because extending him would be an absolute boondoggle. his contract in 2023-4 would be Backes now, and that's exactly when the rangers are going to need cap flexibility to maximally extend their burgeoning window. a 30 year old power forward with a non-negligible injury history, even if they aren't directly connected, is almost always a terrible investment. for me, trading him is much less about the tangible return than it is about not getting stuck with an albatross a few years down the line. I'm 100% on board with levitate's assessment, and i would be 100% willing to accept a "lesser" return in exchange for a more managable roster when the rangers actually enter a potential championship window.

prospects and draft capital are never bad to have, especially when you're well on your way to being, but aren't quite yet, a contender. eventually you'll have a mostly full lineup but will need a piece here or there, and that's where that capital becomes good bargaining chips. a 34 year old busted rear end 40-point kreider at 7m with 3 years left provides none of that

e: considering their play styles, it made infinite more sense to keep zuccarello than kreider, and if they weren't willing to hang on to him despite his age not totally meshing with the rebuild timeline, there's absolutely no reason to keep kreider

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 22, 2020

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

:siren: HUGE TRADE :siren:

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1231376705329254400

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I remember Salomaki existing like three years ago

I forgot Harpur was in the Leafs organization :lol:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dubas is totally gonna make a major move now, right?

Cause losing to a zamboni driver, yowza

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Was going to do a little on Winnipeg/Florida but I think they're both buying and prognosticating on what they may or may not do is even more of a fools errand soooooooo I'm going to write about the Leafs.

Edit: Apparently in sleep deprivation I did a little blurb on Florida.

Florida – 10 million dollars later and our goaltending is still dog poo poo.
UFA – Hoffman, Dadonov, Pysyk
2 Years – Colton Sceviour
2 points out with a game in hand. Doubt they do anything except add. If they get goaltending very dangerous team.
Pysuk – Trash. Don't trade for him
Hoffman – Ok wing man. Can do a job. I don't rate him that highly.
Dadonov – Rules. Get him.
Sceviour – Burried in the d zone. Not that good.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 23, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In my wildest dreams the Sabres trade for Trocheck but I’m not holding my breath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In my wildest dreams the Sabres trade for Trocheck but I’m not holding my breath

I have no idea what the Sabre's prospect pool looks like, but it would take a sizeable package.