Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

She would also have been a better choice than Admiral No-Name.

To hear “sheer loving hubris” delivered by Mulgrew would have been amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

She's probably mad they called Jeri Ryan

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HD DAD posted:

To hear “sheer loving hubris” delivered by Mulgrew would have been amazing.

Yeah Mulgrew can dress someone down with the best of them.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Not to mention that the whole debate over the Federation circling the wagons was the right thing to do might have been more meaningful if the person on the other side of the desk was another one of our trusted heroes.

That seems like it could be a little out of character for Janeway, though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Out of character for Katheryn "do a deal with the borg" Janeway?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Out of character for Katheryn "do a deal with the borg" Janeway?

Out of character for "endanger everyone to stand on principle" Janeway

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all think Mulgrew works for scale?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tars Tarkas posted:

One thing that is both good and bad is the show dumps you off in the middle of this world where we've missed 25 years and doesn't bother to explain a lot of things, which is half of the major disagreements I'm seeing. Not everyone is like me that will watch this stuff 2-3 times and pick up things that are easily missed. The other thing with characters acting out of character is a more nuanced argument. People can change in 25 years but you can make a case for how much they would have changed or how much they would have changed with circumstances that happened the way the show did.

It drove me crazy that they did this in the recent Star Wars trilogy and it’s just as annoying now

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Janeway both seems like she'd fit in perfectly with the new Starfleet but also seems like she'd immediately get kicked out for going rogue with a bunch of ships and blasting up some Tholians when Starfleet refuses to do anything.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Kathryn Janeway Did Nothing Wrong

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Kathryn Janeway Did Everything Wrong

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I just refuse to believe the future is so loving gaudy.

Say what you want about future space utopia having shades of grey but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck freecloud.

Looked like Reno took a poo poo that poo poo evolved into a sentient poo poo being and then took another poo poo.

Also how do those ads work for normal people? Does everyone just have a holodeck/replicator/whatever the gently caress it is bridge?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This show is saying your beloved Captain Picard is an out of touch old fool and you were an idiot to ever believe the future could be bright. Star Trek has always been a laughable mess of a TV show but it always had the underlying message that the future could be better and here are some heros fighting for that better future. Flawed, silly heros in pyjama uniforms fighting forehead aliens to understand that there is a better way.

Whatever this show is, it isn't Star Trek.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

apatheticman posted:

I just refuse to believe the future is so loving gaudy.

Say what you want about future space utopia having shades of grey but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck freecloud.

Looked like Reno took a poo poo that poo poo evolved into a sentient poo poo being and then took another poo poo.

Also how do those ads work for normal people? Does everyone just have a holodeck/replicator/whatever the gently caress it is bridge?

"a shitload of holograms and flashing lights" is like, the default setting for "futuristic cityscapes" though

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TomR posted:

This show is saying your beloved Captain Picard is an out of touch old fool and you were an idiot to ever believe the future could be bright. Star Trek has always been a laughable mess of a TV show but it always had the underlying message that the future could be better and here are some heros fighting for that better future. Flawed, silly heros in pyjama uniforms fighting forehead aliens to understand that there is a better way.

Do you genuinely think this is where the show is going, because lol if so. Thats a hostile reading to the point of ridiculousness.

It's incredibly loving obvious that the show is building to the conclusion that Picard was wrong to give up and that being idealistic is good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

This show depicts the future that rich people want, presented in a way they think makes it palatable or even desirable to the rest of us

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TomR posted:

Yeah they said the same thing about DS9

Tighclops posted:

This show depicts the future that rich people want, presented in a way they think makes it palatable or even desirable to the rest of us

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

marktheando posted:

Do you genuinely think this is where the show is going, because lol if so. Thats a hostile reading to the point of ridiculousness.

It's incredibly loving obvious that the show is building to the conclusion that Picard was wrong to give up and that being idealistic is good.

Nothing like idealism that says 'Being good, is good' at the end of a season after being filled with dark poo poo.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Snow Cone Capone posted:

"a shitload of holograms and flashing lights" is like, the default setting for "futuristic cityscapes" though

Yeah but a show that used like 99% matte paintings until just a few years ago its quite the aesthetic side step.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

Nothing like idealism that says 'Being good, is good' at the end of a season after being filled with dark poo poo.

This is exactly what's coming, they're building to a Picard speech as a chaser for all these horrible shots we've been doing

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The planet they're visiting was never part of the Federation, so I don't see the Freecloud situation in particular as a symptom of being grimdark, seeing as how there were tons of planets they visited in the earlier series that were in various states of decay

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tighclops posted:

This is exactly what's coming, they're building to a Picard speech as a chaser for all these horrible shots we've been doing

Yup. It is now okay to have a dark and gritty Federation as long as the main character says 'Bad things are bad!' in a long epic speech.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Yup. It is now okay to have a dark and gritty Federation as long as the main character says 'Bad things are bad!' in a long epic speech.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Yes generally in fiction idealistic heroes have to overcome some dark poo poo.

apatheticman posted:

Yeah but a show that used like 99% matte paintings until just a few years ago its quite the aesthetic side step.

If by 'just a few years ago' you mean almost 20 years ago, there were matte paintings in Enterprise, sure.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

apatheticman posted:

Are you trying to tell me that motion picture technology has advanced?!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anyway a bunch of major cities on Earth already look like Freecloud minus the holograms, and the very second large-scale projections like that become feasible they will 100% be used everywhere possible:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll point out that the generally best and most widely beloved episodes of all Star Treks are "grim dark" like Yesterday's Enterprise, ItPM, BoBW, mirror universe eps, Parallels, Year of Hell, etc.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It drove me crazy that they did this in the recent Star Wars trilogy and it’s just as annoying now

No I think this is fine. The Romulan Empire suffered a massive disaster and is in collapse. The Federation suffered a disaster and turned inwards to deal with it. This isn't even actually new ground for Star Trek. The back story to ST:Picard is literally Star Trek 6, except this time the Admiral Cartwright faction in Starfleet wins.

That's massively different to Star Wars's 'oh you thought the good guys won? We'll just drop you into a world where the Empire is still around and the most powerful force without ever really explaining that'.

e: In fact actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqGnAIgzUTY

Star Trek 6 even establishes that something can blow up in space and because 'subspace' the shockwave can travel really fast and far.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 21, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

I'll point out that the generally best and most widely beloved episodes of all Star Treks are "grim dark" like Yesterday's Enterprise, ItPM, BoBW, mirror universe eps, Parallels, Year of Hell, etc.

I feel like 99% of the time "grimdark" in this context means "swearing and violence" and you better believe Sisko would have dropped some f-bombs if that was kosher on network TV in the 90's

Alchenar posted:

No I think this is fine. The Romulan Empire suffered a massive disaster and is in collapse. The Federation suffered a disaster and turned inwards to deal with it. This isn't even actually new ground for Star Trek. The back story to ST:Picard is literally Star Trek 6, except this time the Admiral Cartwright faction in Starfleet wins.

That's massively different to Star Wars's 'oh you thought the good guys won? We'll just drop you into a world where the Empire is still around and the most powerful force without ever really explaining that'.

lol yeah I don't think Picard or any other Trek has gotten anywhere near as bad as "Palpatine is back, shut up about why/how"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

They really do need install ad-blocker in that ship though. Having a bunch of holograms harass you as you approach a planet seems really bad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kidkissinger posted:

They really do need install ad-blocker in that ship though. Having a bunch of holograms harass you as you approach a planet seems really bad.

I assumed when the traffic controller said they were passing the conn back to La Sirena that they pushed a bunch of ads and poo poo through before terminating communications.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I feel like 99% of the time "grimdark" in this context means "swearing and violence" and you better believe Sisko would have dropped some f-bombs if that was kosher on network TV in the 90's

Oh I don't take people who unironically use grimdark as a criticism seriously.

kidkissinger posted:

holo IGNORE ME robot from Venture Bros: "WE'VE NOTICED YOU ARE USING AN ADBLOCK, FREECLOUD RELIES ON AD REVENUE TO BRING YOU THE CRIMES YOU LOVE PLEASE CONSIDER WHITE LISTING"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I assumed when the traffic controller said they were passing the conn back to La Sirena that they pushed a bunch of ads and poo poo through before terminating communications.

"You're cleared to enter orbit. installing complimentary malware in five... four... three..."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In TV/IV “grimdark” is a broad catch-all term that means absolutely nothing other than “I don’t like thing”.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Anyway a bunch of major cities on Earth already look like Freecloud minus the holograms, and the very second large-scale projections like that become feasible they will 100% be used everywhere possible:

Heavily saturated, since it's a lot brighter in real life.

Tokyo is very similar, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Advertising used to be so much more subtle too

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

Oh I don't take people who unironically use grimdark as a criticism seriously.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In TV/IV “grimdark” is a broad catch-all term that means absolutely nothing other than “I don’t like thing”.

:hai:

kidkissinger posted:

"You're cleared to enter orbit. installing complimentary malware in five... four... three..."

I mean it's goofy and I tend to go to lengths to justify dumb things like that, but "transferring control back to you" implies that Freecloud Approach or whatever had at least partial control over the computer systems for a period.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Heavily saturated, since it's a lot brighter in real life.

Tokyo is very similar, too.

Yeah if you get Times Square on a moonless night though it looks amazing, no HDR needed

Heck, I took these photos myself in Shanghai a decade ago:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 21, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the 24th century equivalent of the Yahoo Search Bar

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

What's the 24th century equivalent of the Yahoo Search Bar

EBBH (Emergency Bonzi Buddy Hologram)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Alchenar posted:

The original idea for the First Order was pretty good, kind of "what if the nazis who fled to south america successfully set up their own country and started doing nazi poo poo over there."

But yeah they either dropped that idea or just totally failed to communicate it on screen. They don't feel much like a comparatively weak faction of exiles, just feel like the old Empire. And obviously pulling a fleet of planet-killer star destroyers out of nowhere still makes zero sense.